News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Faq 2018  (Read 8828 times)

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
Faq 2018
« on: April 7, 2018, 04:52:17 PM »
In this The Future of FAQs and Chapter Approved - Warhammer Community post GW mentioned that we were to get a twice a year "Big FAQ".

Does anyone know what happened to it, I was expecting something major last month and again in September 2018?

G

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: Faq 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 7, 2018, 05:08:37 PM »
The March FAQ is delayed by GW wants to analyse Adepticon first, but should be out in a week or two.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Gal'rgae Neverborne

• Armies: Eldar, Deathwing, Daemons
« Reply #2 on: April 7, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
Where did you get that information?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:42:21 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Alexxk

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »
My Eldar review:
No more quicken on deepstrikeing units hurt. (Also no soulburst move, but not entirely sure on that)
Reapers point increase is fine
Farseer point increase is ok
Spiritseer increase hurts
Warlock increase hurts
Warlock conclave also hurts
I think warlock skyrunners are our best bet right now. But for this pointcost I will only take them for buffs. Taking characters for smite isn't worth it anymore (maybe the farseer). With the point increase eldrad looks very very valuable. With the extra CPs from battalions the seer council looks good aswell.

Ynnari are a mess. No more aeldari ynnari is unfluffy. WC8 on word of the phoenix is quite harsh. The wording on the whole ruling are quite unclear. I hope we are able to take wl traits on ynnari characters. With seer of the shifting vector the WC8 should be fine thanks to Mr. Kitty.
Ynnari Stratagem abuse is still here. I meann Saim Hann shining spears in ynnari with this. Also a cheap 242p drukhari battalion for agents of vect seems good. with a raider for the kabalites it can be quite valuable aswell.

I feared it would be much worse for eldar so I am quite happy. I am very very dissapointed though that the FAQ on ynnari makes things so unclear that another faq faq is needed. Shining spears are the best unit from our codex now and I will try to make a list increase their potential.

Points costs removed to comply with forum rule 1 - Iris.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 05:51:10 PM by Irisado »

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
Nice to see alpha striking get a kick in the teeth. That was fairly ridiculous.

It does make some armies a lot harder to play, now. It might, however, see play get a little less bonkers.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »
The limit on over using datasheets is nice for some of the games. Saves on unit spamming, other than troops and transports of course.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
Dang, those craftworld nerfs were really uncalled for, Ynnari soup Dark reapers was trouble, but double nerfing them means they will be shelved again for maybe another 5 editions.

Psykers struggle as it is, and it's not a lack of smite spam that was the problem, rather the opposite. I guess they just listened to what was complained about rather than what was OP. Giving the SMURF's a nod with the smite spam and not the already terrible and now also nerfed warlock conclave was just plain idiotic.

I like the new tactical reserves & the highlander-ish use of datasheets.

The datasheet restriction is however very bad news for Drukhari who has very few HQ options, still it can easily be circumvented by using index datasheets.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
I'm not sure I understand "Battle Brothers" does this mean I couldn't run an Iyanden Detachment and a DE Flayed Skull Detachment in the same army?
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 04:17:01 PM »
I'm not sure I understand "Battle Brothers" does this mean I couldn't run an Iyanden Detachment and a DE Flayed Skull Detachment in the same army?
You still can, you can't however mix CWE & DE in the same detachment, even if it's an Ynnari detachment, which is a bit silly, but I assume the Ynnari (possibly included in the harlequin book which is soon to be released) will clear this up.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »
Bah. The point increases on my Eldar units broke several of my lists. I didn't even spam stuff! Points were just so tight already from trying to get a useful amount of everything. I really feel like a lot of these changes are based around 2-2.5k tourney lists and not the good-ol'-boyz who play at 1500 (or even less).

Overall like the changes.

People should note they included rules that are still beta changes. Not full changes. So the battle brothers and reserves rules are still beta.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »
@Fenris- Thanks bud, yeah that seems to be the way it works. What a weird call by GW. Hmmmm I wonder what this could mean going forward.

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline bca11

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 06:06:38 PM »
The Warlock and Spiritseer changes are where the problem is. The other changes are okay. If I'm reading it right you can still take a full craftworlds detachment alongside ynarri and still get your craftworld trait, you just have to take it separately.

The good news is you have to worry much less about screening, and you can use dire avengers to screen outside your deployment zone on turn 1, since your opponent can no longer deep strike right in your face at the very beginning of the game.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »
It's interesting to me that Warlocks took a hit, they don't even have real smite.

No more quicken on deepstrikeing units hurt. (Also no soulburst move, but not entirely sure on that)

Where does it say this in the FAQ pdf? I've tried searching for the word "Quicken" but can't find it
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 06:42:39 PM »
CWE changes feels like a knee jerk reaction to what people were having a whine at, but didn't really play test all the changes out with the new rule adjustments.

Not being able to spam reapers, especially given Battle brothers effect on Ynnari, puts a lot of hurt on the tourney lists, which were often backed up with Seer support, that before accounting for the point increases.

Seers are now just too expensive again, which was the problem from the index...

Last fight I had with Necron's new codex went down to the wire (I had 6 models left on the board at turn 5). I'm in serious trouble against this rather friendly Necron list now.

To be frank, it feels more like GW are trying to stop people in tourney's from being nobs, but it comes are a really big hit to those who just play for fun and show some shelf control. If I don't want to be trashed by a new codex now, I'm going to have to put more filth in the lists.

As for Spears, yes they are good, but against the volume of fire out there, really not difficult to deal with. High point cost low model count armies suck in 8th.

Battle Brothers makes noooooooooooooo sense for Ynnari, you are essentially taking a detachment of CWWE and a Detachment of DE instead of being able to mix. Just makes them horribly broken, but I guess that's to the point, too many people having a cry about them.

Reserves.. no more first turn DS nuking or first turn DS assaults. This is good.

Targeting characters wording has changed, so great big models that get taken below 10 can still be targeted, this now makes sense.

I never had an issue with command points for taking a battalion. Is this more of a slap to stop people abusing the other 1 CP detachments? This also puts a massive benefit to low cost armies. I don't get this change either considering the other 1 CP detachments were a way of spamming units, which with the new anti-soup rules makes it very hard to do. Seems like we are being pushed back to CAD style gaming, not a bad thing in itself, but moves away from the rhetoric of being able to play the game they way you want...

Ability to ignore wound stacking, makes sense and is only good for the game.

Smite is a real problem and the nerf doesn't go far enough.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
It's interesting to me that Warlocks took a hit, they don't even have real smite.

Where does it say this in the FAQ pdf? I've tried searching for the word "Quicken" but can't find it

The BETA reserves rules say you can no longer move (even using a psychic power) after deep striking. They shouldn't have put the two beta rules in the FAQ as people are getting confused.

Magenb - that rule actually means that if there is a conga line of characters (like using assassins to protect another character) you can target any of the characters, not just the closest one.

Also, the increased CP for a battalion helps the more elite armies where these points are soaked up by your HQs and troops. It's also really nice for 1500pt or less games. Gives you some breathing room to actually use/get more stratagems without cramming in min unit extra detachments.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 07:05:34 PM by Partninja »

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »
ah, interesting. thanks!
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »
Also, the increased CP for a battalion helps the more elite armies where these points are soaked up by your HQs and troops. It's also really nice for 1500pt or less games. Gives you some breathing room to actually use/get more stratagems without cramming in min unit extra detachments.

Cheap armies can easily get multiple battalions, or batts + multiple 1CP's. given the power of strats, it doesn't work out in elite armys favour at all.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 08:48:32 PM »
I've been considering the character rules, and they are in no way better than the current rules actually, as you can still hide a screening unit behind a wall, and become untargettable.
You simply can't use a character for screening.
As a backlash, characters can't take cover behind other characters even in the open.

Regarding the CP bonuses, battalions just became the standard CAD. I mean a brigade used to net you 3x the amount of CP as a battalion, now it's only 2.4x.