News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 pts for Saturday Game :)  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
1850 pts for Saturday Game :)
« on: July 30, 2013, 06:38:03 PM »
Here's my list.  I had to tweek it because I had some TL PR/Flamer suits that were worthless and I caved and added markerlights as I had a lot of problems trying to dig some enemies our of cover, so here's my new list.

Commander - Hailforge - 179
Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-Thrusters, Advanced Tarting System, Shield Drone x2, XV8-02 Iridium Battle Suit, Onager Guantlet,
Neuroweb System Jammer

Ethereal

Riptide
Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector, Ion Accelerator, SMS, Shielded Missile Drone x2

Crisis Suits Deathrain x3 - 275
2 with; Missile Pod x2, Target Lock
Shas'vre has Command and Control Node, Multi-Specturm Sensor Suite, Drone Controller
Marker Drone x6

Crisis Suits x2 ????????????????????????

Fire Warriors x11 - 194
Devilfish, Disruption Pod

Fire Warriors x11 - 194

Fire Warriors x12
Pulse Carbines, Shas'ui, Gun Drone x2

Kroot x10 - 159
Shaper with pulse Carbine
Krootox Rider x3, Hound x1

Hammerhead
Ion Cannon, TL Smart Missile System, Black Sun Filter

Hammerhead
Railgun, Submunition Rounds, TL Smart Missile System, Black Sun Filter

1755 points giving me 95 points to spend on the 2 crisis suits

Ethereal goes with the fish of fury.

I might drop one krootox and the hound to give them sniper rounds.

Last game I had trouble taking down tanks, I couldn't stop the landraider and 3 rhinos which is really embarrassing for tau. :P

I added the drones to the riptide so my commander can join him and then get him out of combat since that's where he usually ends up.  But that's just one possibility.

I was thinking of having the last crisis team have PR/TL FB and gun drones.  I could put them with the commander.

I might give them more missile pods as I can keep my distance from the enemy which has been working for me.

I'm really kinda lost on that last team.

Help?
« Last Edit: August 6, 2013, 10:18:06 PM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: 1850 List, Its missing something....
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »
I'm going to offer some suggestions on a unit by unit basis, so it won't be the best advice but I find I can do that a lot better than providing list changes due to my low confidence in 6th from still not having enough games :(

However firstly this really stands out as a bad idea
I added the drones to the riptide so my commander can join him and then get him out of combat since that's where he usually ends up.  But that's just one possibility.
This leads me onto a really simple suggestion either plan on them either staying:
a) together and drop the XV8-02 Iridium Battle Suit and a Shield Drone off the Commander as you have a 2+ LOS to a Riptide / Shielded Missile Drone or
b) apart and drop the Stimulant Injector for Vectored Retro-Thrusters on the Riptide so he can get himself out of CC and drop the VRT off the Commander and avoid CC with anything but a Tank

I would go for the apart option as the Onager Gauntlet's main use is against Tanks and should only be used opportunistically as a Fusion Blaster does a much better job at 9". The Onager Gauntlet does not make anyone a close combat unit.  If you want that go for the Dawnblade or Fusion Blades.  Even more importantly your putting over 400pts of Tau into combat. 400pts is the equivalent of 8 XV8's with 30pts of stuff each or 4 Shas'ui lead, 10 strong, Fire Warrior Teams...

Commander - Hailforge - 179
Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-Thrusters, Advanced Tarting System, Shield Drone x2, XV8-02 Iridium Battle Suit, Onager Guantlet,
Neuroweb System Jammer
Aside from what's said above this guy has conflicting equipment.  To me each piece of equipment implies the following...
Onager Gauntlet implies Tank Hunting
Plasma Rifle implies anti-MEQ/TEQ
Cyclic Ion Blaster implies Template for anti-XEQ* and regular shooting for anti-Light Tank (low AV)
Advanced Targeting System implies regular shooting at not Tank or Monstrous Creatures
Neuroweb System Jammer implies being close to the enemy

*Xeno Equivalent basically T3 and an AS worse than MEQ, I just made it up

From what you've said: you have issues with Tanks; you love the Onager Gauntlet; and I'm guessing you have issues with MEQ.  So I've refocused of your Commander slightly

Onager Gauntlet for Tank Hunting
Plasma Rifle for anti-MEQ/TEQ and can also work against very low AV
Fusion Blaster for Tank Hunting and can also work as anti-MEQ/TEQ (but low volume of fire)
Advanced Targeting System for when you shoot as MEQ/TEQ
Neuroweb System Jammer since you're close to the enemy
Plus extras including perhaps the PEN

This puts your Commander somewhere between Farsight and Shadowsun, it may be better points wise to focus on either of them as opposed to trying to do both.  Anyway that's how my mind works, moving on...

Ethereal with Fish of Fury is great.

Riptide as discussed above.

Shas'vre has Command and Control Node, Multi-Specturm Sensor Suite, Drone Controller
Marker Drone x6
Curious to why the Command and Control Node and Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite as it's just something I wouldn't do.  I'd be tempted to have the PEN here or just as a Shas'ui with Missile Pod, Target Lock and Drone Controller or similar...  But I'm genuinely interested as it's growing on me and I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Fire Warriors are fine except
Fire Warriors x12
Pulse Carbines, Shas'ui, Gun Drone x2
Switching to Pulse Rifles, dropping the Gun Drones and making them 9 strong would make more sense to me.  Then they can sit backfield and hold an objective

Kroot x10 - 159
Curious about the Pulse Carbine but I love the flexibility of this unit.  3 outflanking Missile Pods on legs sounds fantastic ;)

Hammerheads are cool!  I know you're thinking about a Skyray, extra Tanks means that the enemy's anti-Tanks have a harder time as you already know ;) Also Seeker Missiles fired from Marker Lights are very good at killing MEQ in Cover.  Perhaps proxy one before buying it.

Last game I had trouble taking down tanks, I couldn't stop the landraider and 3 rhinos which is really embarrassing for tau.

Meh. If({W,D,L}*{+1;0,-1}==0) then your list is extremely well balanced for your local meta.* 

*If you times you Wins by 1, Draws by 0, Losses by -1 and add them up and get around 0 then your list is well balanced.

I'd suggest having a think and re-writing the list both with and without the Skyray trying to get rid of unnecessary upgrades on your Commander.  Also try and think where he'd fit in with each of the different Warlord Traits as it saves having that blank look for a minute while you think about it after your roll :P ::)

From your reloader, aim well!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline Halollet

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!  Let's dig deeper

b) apart and drop the Stimulant Injector for Vectored Retro-Thrusters on the Riptide so he can get himself out of CC and drop the VRT off the Commander and avoid CC with anything but a Tank
Riptides can't take VRT otherwise I would have done that to begin with.  But I also don't want my commander to be nothing more then a baby sitter.  Hence why I said that's one of the options. I see the bad guys coming, my command hops over and joins the riptide to take the assault and then gets them out of the way, hopefully.  Otherwise I want my commander with the other crisis suit team I can't decide on, or soloing somewhere which has worked for him pretty well so far.

Onager Gauntlet for Tank Hunting
Plasma Rifle for anti-MEQ/TEQ and can also work against very low AV
Fusion Blaster for Tank Hunting and can also work as anti-MEQ/TEQ (but low volume of fire)
Advanced Targeting System for when you shoot as MEQ/TEQ
Neuroweb System Jammer since you're close to the enemy
Plus extras including perhaps the PEN

I want my commander to be able to take out just about anything so I can use him anywhere I want.  So yes, he should be a jack of all trades but master of non.
I was thinking PEN, but I might save it for the deathrains.
I had the CIB and PR for the number of high powered shots to work with the ATS.  But I see your point with the fusion as well.  I might TL the Fusion because he has a habit of missing regardless of his nice BS.
He's really up in the air right now until I can figure out what to do with those other crisis.

Curious to why the Command and Control Node and Multi-Spectrum Sensor Suite as it's just something I wouldn't do.  I'd be tempted to have the PEN here or just as a Shas'ui with Missile Pod, Target Lock and Drone Controller or similar...  But I'm genuinely interested as it's growing on me and I'd like to hear your thoughts...

Not a lot of ani-air in this list, hence the eyeing of the skyray, so for now, TLing things seems to be my best bet.  TL Markerlights at a decent BS is also really kinda scary.  I will add in the PEN since I could not take out a freaking rhino last game.... ugh... not happy about that.

Switching to Pulse Rifles, dropping the Gun Drones and making them 9 strong would make more sense to me.  Then they can sit backfield and hold an objective
Makes sense. Done.

Curious about the Pulse Carbine but I love the flexibility of this unit.  3 outflanking Missile Pods on legs sounds fantastic ;)
Carbine went on there for a Kill Team tourny and it looked so nice I didn't want to take it off. So its there because its pretty!

All that leaves me about 150 ish points to add weapons to the naked crisis suits and to beef up the commander.

I'm wondering if I should just take one suit with TL FB/FB as a body guard so I can take a unit of stealth suits.... hmmm...

I need more anti-armour 14 in my list.  One railhead isn't going to cut it.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:41:43 PM »
Well I'm learning a lot to day ::)

Riptides can't take VRT otherwise I would have done that to begin with.
It's odd that he should be able to benefit from it without taking it...  Oh well, that's GW for you :P

But I also don't want my commander to be nothing more then a baby sitter ... otherwise I want my commander with the other crisis suit team I can't decide on, or soloing somewhere which has worked for him pretty well so far ... I want my commander to be able to take out just about anything so I can use him anywhere I want ... jack of all trades but master of non ... he's really up in the air right now until I can figure out what to do with those other crisis.
That's fair enough.  With Space Marines I'd nearly always choose the HQ first as that defines the lists character, that's definitely rubbed off on me :P  But you are right Tau is different, funnily enough...

On the Deathrain team setup...
Not a lot of anti-air in this list, hence the eyeing of the skyray, so for now, TLing things seems to be my best bet.  TL Markerlights at a decent BS is also really kinda scary.  I will add in the PEN since I could not take out a freaking rhino last game.... ugh... not happy about that.
My curiosity has been satisfied.  Kind of like it too, effectively BS2 (11/36*6=11/6=1.833) Skyfire Markerlights else 3/4 chance to hit (3/4*6=9/2=4.5).   Tanks don't get Cover Saves and Markerlights will ensure that another unit gets crushed.  Keep it as it is! 
Although I've just realised a slight issue with adding the PEN here, there's no more room for it :P

Carbine went on there for a Kill Team tourney and it looked so nice I didn't want to take it off. So its there because its pretty!
Quality Beans.

I'm wondering if I should just take one suit with TL FB/FB as a body guard so I can take a unit of stealth suits.... hmmm...
XV25 Suits are good, were you thinking something along the lines of:
Stealth Team - 129
Shas'vre - Burst Cannon, Markerlight & Target Lock*
2 Shas'ui - Burst Cannon
2 Gun Drones
With Homing Beacon, Positional Relay and Advanced Targeting Systems all being viable additions.  A drone controller isn't worth it if you've got only 2 Gun Drones as it costs the same amount per hit, 11pts/hit, regardless of whether you take it or not.  However with Marker Drones it is slightly, a decrease from 36pts/hit to 32pts/hit, if you were so inclined.

*For some reason GW costs this 10pts less than it should be on Stealth Teams than say for the XV84 Suit upgrade or the Fire Warrior ML&TL

Shas'vre Bodyguard with TL FB/FB is a great starting point.  PEN and/or adding a Drone are all great additions to this dude.  The tax for avoiding the Elite Slot is annoying...

Also on your Skyfire problem, giving your XV104 a Velocity Tracker instead of the Stimulant Injector might solve that issue at the cost of durability perhaps? 

Slick Samos

Offline Halollet

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
Commander - 191
Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Vectored Retro-Thrusters, Shield Drone x2, XV8-02 Iridium Battle Suit, Onager Guantlet, Neuroweb System Jammer, Puretide Engram Neurochip
Goes with the deathrain at the begining or deep strikes with body guard to really pound something or goes solo things.  However I'm not 100% on his weapons.  I'm wondering if I should find room to give him some missile as well since he has the open slot.

Bodyguard x1 - 77
Fusion Blaster, TL Fusion Blaster, Failsafe Detonator
Deep strikes in and then goes blow himself up.

Ethereal
Fish of Fury Fun!

Riptide
Early Warning Override, Velocity Tracker, Ion Accelerator, SMS, Shielded Missile Drone x2
Beat stick

Marker Drone x6
Stays back and supports and knocks out light/medium tanks.  Can be joined by commander for added punch.

Stealth Team x3 - 139
Shas'vre, Markerlight & Target Lock, Homing Beacon, Gun Drone x2
Infiltrates forward and helps the commander and/or bodyguard to hit their target.  Also harassment and support.

Fire Warriors x10 - 185

Fire Warriors x10 - 185
FISH OF FURY!!

Fire Warriors x8 - 82
Shas'ui
Holds objective

Kroot x10 - 159
Outflanks to hit the side of tanks

Hammerhead

Hammerhead
Big guns!

So here's version 2.  I think its very interesting and has some nice tricks up its sleeves.  Its also really tight for points and the only thing I'm not all yeah! for is the guns on the commander.  Thoughts?

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: August 1, 2013, 11:54:35 AM »
Regarding your commander:

While I'm not crazy about the kitchen-sink commander (how often are you using those thrusters? Does the System Jammer pay off ever? What are you going to use Puretide for, anyway?), here are my thoughts:

IF you are starting him with the Deathrains, dump the Gauntlet/Thrusters/Jammer and give him two Missile Pods.
IF you are starting him with the Bodyguard, give him two Fusion Blasters, dump the Puretide, and consider a target lock.
IF you are running him solo, give him two Plasma Rifles and leave him as-is.

He isn't going to be all things to all units and actually be good at anything for his points. Commanders are versatile, but not super flexible--kit him to complement one unit and stick with it. I don't recommend running him alone, but he could work fine with either the Bodyguard or the Deathrains.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #6 on: August 1, 2013, 01:04:19 PM »
That... helps! Thanks, I think I got it now!

Commander - 191
Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Rifle, Target Lock, Shield Drone x2, XV8-02 Iridium Battle Suit, Onager Guantlet, Neuroweb System Jammer
Deep strikes with body guard and hits the enemy hard.  Goes head hunting the next turn by himself or sticks with bodyguard depending on the opponent.

Bodyguard x1 - 77
Fusion Blaster, TL Fusion Blaster, Failsafe Detonator
Deep strikes in with commander and then goes blow himself up.

Ethereal
Fish of Fury Fun!

Riptide
Early Warning Override, Velocity Tracker, Ion Accelerator, SMS, Shielded Missile Drone x2
Beat stick

Shas'vre has Command and Control Node, Puretide Engram Neurochip, Drone Controller
Marker Drone x6
Stays back and supports and knocks out light/medium tanks.  Gets tank hunter from PEN.

Stealth Team x3 - 139
Infiltrates forward and helps the commander hit their target.  Also harassment and support.

Fire Warriors x10 - 185

Fire Warriors x10 - 185
FISH OF FURY!!

Fire Warriors x9 - 91
Shas'ui
Holds objective

Kroot x10 - 159

Hammerhead

Hammerhead
Big guns!

69 models
1850 points

This looks.... fun to play.  Unless I missed anything else.

-----------------------EDIT-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be using this army for a game on Saturday against this guy
1850 pts for Saturday Game

One of my bigger worries is the barrage hitting my Deathrains.  They have a pretty big footprint.   

And what to do about all those guard coming in from the side.  This is one reason why I like to be mobile is that I can just scoot away from him when he shows up.  Another tactic is to have the kroot come in behind them and start knocking down tanks and such.  This is where them having an AP value in close combat comes in I guess.

Anything else I might tweek or tactics I might use?  I play guard myself, but I don't use tanks so I don't have personal experience to rely upon here.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2013, 10:17:25 PM by Halollet »

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
Re: 1850 pts for Saturday Game :)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:21:32 AM »
How did it go?

Offline Halollet

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:23:48 AM »
How did it go?

He made some notes and I took some pictures and we're going to write up a full battle report.

But for a taste, my game when something like this.

First turn
"Activating Nova reactor.... and that's a 1, so he takes a wound"
"Ionhead is gonna use the blast, see if it overheats.... and it does."
"Riptide, see if this overheats.... and it does, armour save... and he takes another wound"

It was an uphill battle from there on out.  I only had the ionhead left on the table when the game finally ended on turn 7. :P

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 08:17:37 PM »
How did it go?

He made some notes and I took some pictures and we're going to write up a full battle report.

But for a taste, my game when something like this.

First turn
"Activating Nova reactor.... and that's a 1, so he takes a wound"
"Ionhead is gonna use the blast, see if it overheats.... and it does."
"Riptide, see if this overheats.... and it does, armour save... and he takes another wound"

It was an uphill battle from there on out.  I only had the ionhead left on the table when the game finally ended on turn 7. :P

Yeesh. Well, don't let it get you down. Odds are that won't happen again for a long while. Think of it like making a karma down-payment.

Look forward to seeing the report!  :)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 08:43:49 PM »
You had a Markerlight drone, as well. ;)

I'm working on the notes, will hopefully have them to you tonight or tomorrow.

For what it's worth, the list plays so incredibly fluidly that I can see why everything is named after a fish. Like trying to nail Jell-o to a wall. Well played, with astoundingly bad dice rolls. :D

Offline Halollet

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:16 AM »
New Ver 3.  Edited with suggestions underneath.

Commander - 182
Missile Pod, Missile Pod, Drone Controller, Target Lock, Marker Drone x2, XV8-02 Iridium Battle Suit, Onager Guantlet
Goes with marker drones.  Makes them absolutely lethal so I don't expect the drones to survive the game (unless I wipe the opponent) so the commander is decked out with Missile Pods for long range punch and some survivability.  Commander can also soak up wounds from things like a Colossus Mortar and if he's hit by something nasty, I can Look Out Sir him.

Bodyguard x1 - 103
Fusion Blaster, TL Fusion Blaster, Failsafe Detonator, Neuroweb System Jammer, Shield Drone x2
Deep strikes in and then goes blow himself up. Added in the Jammer to further harass the opponent's backfield.

Ethereal
Fish of Fury Fun!

Riptide - 275
Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector, Ion Accelerator, SMS, Shielded Missile Drone x2
Beat stick

Crisis Suits Deathrain x2 - 138
MP/TL MP, Shield Drone x2
Anti small tank.  Might keep them off board or deep strike in to counter reserves.  These guys usually get shot first so that might be a good idea all around.

Stealth Team x3 - 139
Infiltrates/outflanks and helps deep strikers hit their targets.  Also harassment and support.

Fire Warriors x11 - 194

Fire Warriors x11 - 194
FISH OF FURY!!

Fire Warriors x9 - 106
Shas'ui
Markerlight & Targetlock
Holds objective

Kroot x10 - 140

Marker Drones x5 - 70
Commander joins this unit for a total of 7 drones

Hammerhead

Hammerhead
Big guns!

72 models
1848 points
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 06:51:23 PM by Halollet »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 09:11:53 AM »
The sensor suite is poorly placed on the Commander. If you use it, he never uses his guns. If you don't use it, you've wasted the points. If you're putting him with the Riptide anyway, he sure as heck doesn't need those shield drones.

As far as I'm concerned, you could axe almost 100 points out of this list for a very limited loss in capability. This could buy you a whole additional unit of something. More markerlights. More suits. More whatever.

I'd suggest dropping:

-Commander's Shield Drones
-Sensor Suite (or plasma rifles--your choice)
-Riptide Stim Injector
-Shaper + Pulse Carbine

None of those things are likely to pay off all that often. I'd also toss on there the Vectored Retro Thrusters, since you shouldn't be getting assaulted all that often, anyway, and especially not against guard. The sensor suite is counter-intuitive (just buy more markerlights somewhere else). The Shaper is a complete waste of points, as he always has been. You're paying almost 20 points for very little benefit. You could just buy 3 more Kroot for that and get a better return.

Good luck in your next game. I'm pulling for you.  :)

Offline Halollet

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
The sensor suite is poorly placed on the Commander. If you use it, he never uses his guns. If you don't use it, you've wasted the points. If you're putting him with the Riptide anyway, he sure as heck doesn't need those shield drones.

As far as I'm concerned, you could axe almost 100 points out of this list for a very limited loss in capability. This could buy you a whole additional unit of something. More markerlights. More suits. More whatever.

I'd suggest dropping:

-Commander's Shield Drones
-Sensor Suite (or plasma rifles--your choice)
-Riptide Stim Injector
-Shaper + Pulse Carbine

None of those things are likely to pay off all that often. I'd also toss on there the Vectored Retro Thrusters, since you shouldn't be getting assaulted all that often, anyway, and especially not against guard. The sensor suite is counter-intuitive (just buy more markerlights somewhere else). The Shaper is a complete waste of points, as he always has been. You're paying almost 20 points for very little benefit. You could just buy 3 more Kroot for that and get a better return.

Good luck in your next game. I'm pulling for you.  :)

The shaper has not been pulling his weight, so yeah, he's gone.  Makes sense to drop the Sensor Suite and put him with the marker drones.  I'll do the 'Paint the town RED' commander with some late game punch as I think anyone with a brain cell will try and blow up that unit.

I'm not taking the stims off of the Riptide, you saw my last battle report! NO! It stays! Not having that happen to me again!  LOL :D :P

I've tweaked the above post so I'm not spamming this topic with my list over and over and over and over.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:12:16 PM by Halollet »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
I'm just saying that the Stim Injector won't even work most of the time when you need it (which is relatively rarely). Too expensive by half. I run mine with no drones, no stims, and I have yet to miss either of them. Not even when Tau railguns were pounding him for three turns straight. Just sayin...

Okay, this will be the last time I complain about your commander, so here we go:

If his job is to babysit markerdrones and sit back marking stuff (i.e. from far away, which you should do), I'd trade the Onager for a target lock and give him a pair of missile pods, since their range compliments markerlight range better. I know you seem to love the Onager for some reason, but I'm telling you that your Commander needs to be kitted to do *a* job, not two or three jobs. The dude could be almost 50 points cheaper and do the *exact same things* and *exactly* as well.

Last time I'll talk about super-commander. I promise.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 06:57:30 PM »
I'm just saying that the Stim Injector won't even work most of the time when you need it (which is relatively rarely). Too expensive by half. I run mine with no drones, no stims, and I have yet to miss either of them. Not even when Tau railguns were pounding him for three turns straight. Just sayin...

Okay, this will be the last time I complain about your commander, so here we go:

If his job is to babysit markerdrones and sit back marking stuff (i.e. from far away, which you should do), I'd trade the Onager for a target lock and give him a pair of missile pods, since their range compliments markerlight range better. I know you seem to love the Onager for some reason, but I'm telling you that your Commander needs to be kitted to do *a* job, not two or three jobs. The dude could be almost 50 points cheaper and do the *exact same things* and *exactly* as well.

You make some good points. So... okay, Missile Pods it is, I tweeked the above list and added in another fire warrior! :) But I'm keeping the Onager! :P

Last time I'll talk about super-commander. I promise.

I doubt that, but that's okay!  Constructive Criticism is always welcomed! :D

Edit:

I got the report up. The MP/MP on my commander worked really well and the 2+ hitting marker drones are scary!

Battle Report: 1850 pts Tau vs Guard part 2 – The Revengening
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:48:03 PM by Halollet »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
That was a high-end drubbing for GBT! You were rolling Jink saves like crazy!

Glad the twin pods worked out. It think getting a target lock in there would help a lot, too--that way you don't need to mark the same thing that the commander shoots. Very handy with markerlights.

Offline Halollet

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:17 AM »
I already got target lock on my commander. I think you missed that! :)

So... I'm dropping the missile drones from the riptide and then I'm also dropping the failsafe detonator and jammer from the body guard to give him Puretide Chip because I really need him to actually hurt something when he shows up.

That leaves me with 49 extra points.

With that I can get 5 seeker missiles and firewarrior.

But I had another thought, what about putting SMS on my devilfish and then put gundrones on my hammerheads?  I never shoot those hammer head SMS cause I like to sit out of range and having some more firepower in my back field would probably come in handy.  Also, when I move my fish up, I can hide them and still fire off some shots at a good range as well.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 11:17:50 AM by Halollet »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:01 AM »
I've thought about doing this myself, since I find drones so handy.

I'm not sure if the SMS is the best call on the Devilfish, per se, since you'll never be shooting both the Burst and the SMS at the same time without snapshotting one of the other and, furthermore, the Devilfish's tendency to deliver drones to advance locations is pretty useful. That said, the idea does have some merit.

If you try it out, let me know how it goes!