News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thousand Sons Color Scheme  (Read 11203 times)

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
Thousand Sons Color Scheme
« on: August 1, 2002, 09:57:17 AM »
Does anyone know the official colors for Thousand sons.  It looks like Ultramarine Blue and Badmoon Yellow.  Also if it is Ultramarine Blue should I base the models in black then spray on a coat of Ultra Blue or go strait for the coat of Ultra Blue.  The Black base would make it darker appearing more like chaos, but wuld make the yellow harder to paint on.  Any suggestions?

Master Archon

Re:Thousand Sons Color Scheme
« Reply #1 on: August 1, 2002, 10:07:42 AM »
It is Ultramarine Blue with Shining Gold trim.  From there you can add the yellow (I think that Sunburst is the best choice).  I would Spray the model black then you can either paint it ultramarines blue or spray it that color.  By basing the model white it looks to bright. Go with the black undercoat.   ;)

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #2 on: August 1, 2002, 08:06:39 PM »
Yeah, Shas'o Fal'shia Kais Or'es (that's a mouthful) hit it right on the nose. The blue they use in the 'eavy Metal stuff is Ultramarines Blue (perhaps a little darkened though).

I've seen Regal Blue used to good effect to make them a little bit darker. Another good trick for a darker, grittier look (Who cleans the armor if the men are no longer inside...?) is to apply an ink (black, chestnut, maybe even a dark blue ink) over the gold and yellow areas.

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #3 on: August 2, 2002, 10:51:47 AM »
Thanks guys.  I like the idea of having a gritty worn out look.  It will also make the sorcerers stand out more since they probobly clean their armor.

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #4 on: August 2, 2002, 11:03:21 AM »
A friend of mine plays Tzeentch. His painting/conversion scheme is really inspired by undead knights, so their armor is regal blue with gold trimmings but he has alot of scorchmarks from flamers, bullet holes and stuff.

And I don't know how he painted the eyes(probally red with a single thin layer of black ink)but they seem like they are somehow glowing.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Master Archon

« Reply #5 on: August 2, 2002, 01:35:48 PM »
Yeah the 'eavy metal team probably darkened the Ultramarines Blue by painting it over a black undercoat like I mentioned before.  

Sparqman I bet you don't know what my name means?

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2002, 05:07:19 PM »
Mighty Shas'o...I have no idea. I care not for you Tauish mumbo-jumbo. =)

The idea of scorch marks and bullet holes is a great one for the Thousand Sons! Think of all those withering hails of bolter, lasgun and splinter/shuriken fire that they have marched through. It's pretty easy too...just poke the holes, paint them black and then give them some fringing to the colors. Brilliant idea!

Offline Helmed Horror

• Let the sunshine In!
  • It appears I can't escape
« Reply #7 on: August 2, 2002, 09:11:34 PM »
*hits head against wall* I was told that it was storm blue. Oh well seeing as my painted models are few I will do they again (probably regal blue).
Formerly Dark Sun, a long time ago.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #8 on: August 2, 2002, 10:39:14 PM »
Storm Blue could work too...maybe a bit bright, however.

I think that Regal is better than Ultramarines for two major reasons: 1) there is no confusing your Chaos warriors with UltraSmurfs, and 2) it's a deeper color, which makes for better highlights.

Offline Helmed Horror

• Let the sunshine In!
  • It appears I can't escape
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2002, 02:33:29 AM »
Really? It looks awfully dark but I did undercoat it with chaos black... Oh well Regal it is.
Formerly Dark Sun, a long time ago.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #10 on: August 3, 2002, 07:13:57 PM »
Well, I know that the 'eavy Metal team undercoats their 1K Sons in white and then adds the blue. I will inquire with GW to find out what they do for blue.

In the mean while...why don't you try out a couple different combinations (ultramarine on white and black base, and the same using regal) and tell us what is best, Helmed?

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #11 on: August 4, 2002, 01:02:09 AM »
I think I am going to try Ultra Blue on a Black Base for two reasons, 1.  It wil save time since they make Ultra Blue in a spray, and I found a poster that says Ultra Blue is a color of Tzeentch.  Smurfs are almost always based in white so there will be a lttle differance in color.  Besided smurfs don't get to wear the sweet looking blue and yellow headpiece.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #12 on: August 4, 2002, 02:03:44 AM »
They should rename "Slow and Purposeful" to "Walk like an Egyptian". =)

Offline Cheexsta

• Aksho Kharneth Akhash!
« Reply #13 on: August 4, 2002, 03:55:38 AM »
 ;D

erm yes...

what you could do is try and imitate the effect on the drawing in the IA with the bullet holes and such. carve a huge (not really...) chunk outta the armour, paint it DA green with snot green highlighting, and wash it with blask ink. voila! you have some of this greenish sorta "glow" from the inside of the armour, and you can even try and do the same colours for the eye pieces. that would look really cool...
W00t for updated avatar and sig...

Footslogger World Eaters wins/losses for 2004 (>1000pts)

W: 9
D: 2
L: 6

Win rate: 53%

Tournament Skull Count: 242.

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #14 on: August 4, 2002, 03:04:59 PM »
 very good idea Mr. Idiot.  I will give it a try and see how it turns out.

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #15 on: August 4, 2002, 04:15:31 PM »
There is an ink that GW used to make called "Firestorm Yellow" that when applied to a white background, practically glows. I use it for the eyes of my (goody goody) Raven Guard Space Marines, and it produces a very spooky glow.

I'm not sure if there is any more of it around these days...but you certainly could look.

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #16 on: August 5, 2002, 08:34:16 PM »
the offical colour sceme is ultramarines blue with golden yellow. on a side note is you want inspiration look at books on the egyptions.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #17 on: August 6, 2002, 02:00:14 AM »
Spoke to some GW people.

The official "party line" is that it's Ultramarine Blue.

The real story is that they mix some blues together to achieve their look, and use lots of shading and layers.

Nothing is simple, eh?

Offline Dark Nick

• quote "ALL IS DUST"
« Reply #18 on: August 6, 2002, 02:18:45 PM »
Figures, I will try some differant things on some SM from the basic set to practice on.  Then I'll put it on my real Thousand Son's since they are kind of hard to come by.