News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: UK: 7th 40kOnline Tournament RESULTS  (Read 61817 times)

Offline Dux Aurelius Elysius

• Lord Inquisitor Tempestus; Captain Buzzkill.
  • Ancient
  • A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
    • The Duke's Painting Table (my painting blog)
Those poor Blood Angels.  The boards were too big and open for them; against my shooty Eldar it was a long trudge through firing corridors.  Dave did a sterling job keeping them battling through.  It was probably Karma that led to my utter destruction in the last game against Tau :P (I'm afraid I don't recall your name, though that's probably from wiping the traces of pain from my memory).

Good games all round, not forgetting my games against Premetheus and Hymirl.
Oh and I don't recall your forum handle but to the Tallarn player (pretty sure it was O:nk but I have paranoia about these things), I'm sorry for bad mouthing your Stormtroopers.  This was my first attempt at lighting effects that I mentioned, so I guess I'm not best one to talk but I've learned since then ... a little :P

Congratulations also go to the organisers for such a smooth day.  If I can I'll definitely be coming to the next one.

I had intended to take photos but I ended up only remembering for the game against Al so I'm not sure they're worth posting :P  Will upload them tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 06:14:55 PM by Nny »
I carry with me an Inquisitorial Seal. It is a small, unassuming object contained in a neat box of Pluvian obsidian. It is a modest thing. Relatively plain, adorned with a single motif and a simple motto. Yet with this little object I can sign the death warrant of an entire world and consign a billion souls to Oblivion.

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
Those poor Blood Angels.  The boards were too big and open for them; against my shooty Eldar it was a long trudge through firing corridors.  Dave did a sterling job keeping them battling through. 

Yeah... I wiped them out to 4 men in my game.... but they fought til the end, as true crazed blood filled angels of death! Certainly kept me on my toes as wave after wave got inches from my lines...
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Erand

• Lazerous Penguin
Hey all!

So bellow are the results at the end of the day including painting bonus. The points were really close but it turns out that one tournament point devided first from second and a further point devided second from third! Well done everyone!

Starting with first place...

1st Hymril

2nd Richard

3rd O;nk

Dark Fex
Erriond
Mike
Joink
gOOgle
Ratastar
Chuckles
Changeyname
Big Ben
Bill
Evil Monkey
Teg
Craig
Dave
Nny
Vrykolakas
Prethmus
Hawiian Zombie
Matt
Josh
Evil Toast
Gonzon
Morgon

Thanks to Chuckles, Jimmi, Ben and... I'm sorry chaos player I have forgotten your name, for four great games. This was our largest and most diverse tournament yet, we also only had 2 eldar players! Amazing!

Hope to see you all next time,

Erriond

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
The next one will be an Imperial Guard free-for-all, is my prediction.

And since Naikee is swanning off internationally I need a new grudge, and I can think of only one: Erriond, vengeance slash shall be mine! Next time we meet I am going to kill those Fire Prisms so hard you'll forget they ever existed
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
2nd what has been said so far by far most enjoyable Tournement I have played in (In part due to playing 4 totaly different armies whcih is always a bonus  ;D

Also thanks to the guys I played enjoyed all the games very much.

See you all at our event in October (shamless plug number 300) and if not at the next 40k online which im sure will be even bigger!!!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 09:08:48 PM by premetheus »

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
Congrats to all you ding dongs.  Nice job Hymril!  And to o:nk for earning a medal, what three years in a row now?  I'm so jealous of all your proximity to so many other 40koers.

Let's see  ...   Kindred is around here somewhere.  And I'm within a couple thousand miles of Mr. Peanut.   I think.   ....Someday the NewEngland 40konline tourney will rival the original.  :P 

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
Things were that close hey? I wonder where I'd have come if I could have just killed off those last 2 orks.. those last 4 bloodangels and those last 5 chaos...
 4 of the best games I've had in a while! (and had never faced any of the lists before, keeping me on my toes!)

The next one will be an Imperial Guard free-for-all, is my prediction.

Well, there were 5 players this time - myself, Oink, evilmonkey, bfg member I don't know the name of and morgan, and at least evilmonkey and myself have been playing guard for several years now. If erriond manages to paint a guard army he's planning and oink sticks with guard (better than tau!) then that'd be 6. (still about 1/5 of the total)

If a new guard codex comes out then there'll possibly be more... but I'd be impressed if they're painted in time!

And shouldn't it be more guard based than marine based anyway?! ;)

Any more pictures?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:22:22 AM by Jonik »

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
So is the plan top run two of these a year now? I like the idea of being able to go to 5 tournements that are all within 2 miles of where I live!!!

Is it possible to insert the total points next to the peoples names please Erriond?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:14:52 AM by premetheus »

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
@jonik, im glad you enjoyed them
my SAG was incompetently useless all day (apart from a few turns against dennys daemons) and we both had a chuckle when he hit one of the meganobz ;)
hope to make the next one but we'll have to see :(
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Cheers guys for another great day, I'm glad everything panned out more smoothly than my hectic organising skills would have suggested.

Well done to Hymril and his win with his White Scars; it is true that he is a very nice chap in meat space so I might have a bit of a smirk on my face next time I see him posting up :P

Your Warp Field is just wrong, Chuckles.

Wrong. Wrong Wrong. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? HOW MANY INVULNERABLE SAVES CAN YOU MAKE?

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
Also forgot to mention seeing some of your guys armies painted, conversted and looking so good has inspired me to pull my finger out and set aside some dedicated time to the modeling part of my hobby which I have cronically neglected since starting to collect again.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
Cheers guys for another great day, I'm glad everything panned out more smoothly than my hectic organising skills would have suggested.

Well done to Hymril and his win with his White Scars; it is true that he is a very nice chap in meat space so I might have a bit of a smirk on my face next time I see him posting up :P

Your Warp Field is just wrong, Chuckles.

Wrong. Wrong Wrong. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? HOW MANY INVULNERABLE SAVES CAN YOU MAKE?
chuckles is stood behind me and says:
less than 15 but still quite the few

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
15 is absurd! I think I'd have been shouting like chris was too!! ;)

Offline Changeyname

• Ancient
chuckles says the scream of rage from chris was only after 2 saves :P

Offline gonzon

• im beyond death, i am pure chaos
thank you chris,nick,denny and dave for 4 brill games.
i think i did quite well by not coming last.lol
i should be able 2 make the next one(not the october one) and will be looking 2 move up the rankings

a very good day all round

you make your own luck in this world

jimmy

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: UK: 7th 40kOnline Tournament RESULTS
« Reply #535 on: August 17, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
hehe... i had four great games over the day and was happy and surprised with grabbing 3rd spot! i'd like to think that this was mostly due to the fact that i had a fully painted army (which for me was a big achievement)...

thanks iain (evilmonkey), teg, big ben & mike for the games. they were great, fun, challenging, exciting and rewarding (not necessarily in that order).

in my ever lasting method heres a little run down for those that are interested...

game 1, iain (evilmonkey) - Imperial guard.

Iain is a long time guard player with a lovely painted force in snow camo (using steel legion models)... he's also got TWO units of forgeworld death riders for his rough rider units... it promosed to be a vicious game at set up - as he packed in 6 full infantry squads along with accompanying command sections and veterans. but what he had in troops, i made up for in tanks - namely a pair of hellhounds...  ;D  knowing i was going to get first turn made me bold in my deployment of my infiltrating units - but then he grabbed the initiative and things were looking to turn sour... but over the entire first turn, he managed to kill only about 4 infantry models... HAH... or so i thought... cos i only managed to kill about the same in my turn!  from there though, my hellhounds really hit home in a game where 4+ cover saves were keeping our tanks alive. in teh end they were pivotal in routing his troops and allowing me to hold my objectives.

Result:  after a slow start we both got into our strides but in the end iains dirty heretical guard were defeated. largely i think this was due to iains reluctance to move his infantry units - he left it far too late to get to the objectives.

Highlights:
+ rocket launcher blowing up a hiding chimera (despite the odds)... and taking a bunch of rough riders with it!
+ "Lascannon alley" vs "burn baby burn"

Lowlights:
- Iain realising that my storm troopers were grenadiers - and watching him slowly pivot his leman russ turret to target them as they tried to sneak around the hill onto an objective... they had to go to ground to stop from being wiped out - but were still stopped from capturing.

Game 2, teg, chaos marines

Teg was another great opponent, his infantry chaos marine force - packed with noise marines and nurgle warriors - accompanied by a flying lord and demon - couldnt be much farther from iains guard from last round.  with table quarter deployment i took to defending the bridge - i had little option - i had to castle in from his fast moving hqs and be wary of a plethora of infiltrating nasties...
getting first turn the daemon was public enemy number one - and the lascannons were right on the task - helped along by a deep striking command platoon with 2 plasma guns... but ultimately it was taken out by a scattering shot from the russ - having scattered from its main target - taking along the command section bar the rather fortunate (or not depending on how you look at it) officer!
it was a really hard fought battle which saw the chaos taking very heavy losses - but unfortunately they were doing an excellent job of forcing me away from objectives - if i got too close too early they would simply crunch through my units. this wasnt helped by my russ and demolisher both getting immobilised whilst trying to move through the river - i suppose there was a reason i was defending the bridge!

Result:  despite suffering huge losses, the chaos held two objectives thanks to three marines from two different units... damn them - the jumping lord also managed to dislodge a unit from the bridge at the last - ensuring that the chaos won 2-1, with 2 contested. However, we only managed to get in 4 turns and both agreed that one more turn would have seen a draw - which would have probably ben the fairest result in a thoroughly enjoyable and tense battle.

My guard set up defensive positions along the river bank - the lascannons defending the bridge crossing.

Infantry stand ready for the attack - with the comfort of close tank support.

Enemy spotted!

Storm troopers advance in close support of the russ - with veterans rushing out to meet the enemy.

Game 3, big ben, imperial guard (traitorous of course)

ben is a Bracknell Forest Club Gamer - and a great one at that. His imperial guard force was similar in some respects - mainly that it had two hellhounds too! and that was scary...  :-[ He also had more troops than i did - and in this game that might matter, because the winner was be decided by kill points. It started relatively slowly - the table quarter deployment saw both of us using our tanks to try to protect our troops... but i had a trick up my sleeve - the infiltrating and deep striking elements of my force would hopefully be able to cause enough havoc to break the tank line and get to the meaty troops behind.
Long ranged tank shells blasted across the ruined town but the overgrown terrain was proving very survivable - the deep deployment in my own quarter of my lascannons were well placed to cover two main movement alleys - and ultimately proved incredibly useful in dealing with bens advancing tanks... the vulture came in fully expecting to start pounding those infantry but oen rather plucky autocannoner was ready - hitting the flyer and destroying a couple of weapons. scared, it moved away to come at the field from a better (read less dangerous) approach.
on the ground though, my breakthrough came - as deep striking veterans and a command section ambushed the demolisher and a hellhound - giving me the gap i needed - my own hellhounds rushed through and his troops didnt stand a chance... my second command section - armed with a pair of flamers followed suit, jumping on his troops and getting perfect shots at his infantry - following it up in following turns with some devastating combats.

Result:  Although the early game was very tight, with tanks moving cautiously through the terrain, the game opened up with some risky ambushes from my troops and ultimately, some good luck (coupled with bens abissmal turn for the worse!). in the end he scored only 2 kill points... but i managed 14!!!

Highlights:
+ a stormtrooper unit assaulting a russ and blowing it up by using krak grenades (the new vehicle combat rules are ruthless)
+ a brave set of ambushes by my command sections and veterans to blow the game wide open

Lowlights: erm...   ...didnt you read it, 14 kill points!

Enemy tanks advancing.

Cautious moving tanks spot glimpses of the enemy.

But in the end - the Big Guns were bound to draw a clear shot on each other, with devastating consequences.

Game 4, Mike, Tyranids

Mikes nids were a really great sight... a wonderfully painted and converted force that did not only look good, but played good too! (damn him!). It was a dawn of war deployment, and he had first turn... for some reason though - i thought it might be fun to try to seize the initiative, it had happened to me once and i thought i should try... immediately after i rolled the 6 to win the initiative, i realised that was the worst thing i could have done... i should have left him to take first turn and reacted to him!
as it was, too late... so my force rumbled on - spread across the line in order to make things as difficult as possible... then came the nids...
His masses of hormagaunts (and a bunch of spinegaunts too) were backed up by a pair of tyrants (one flying of course) some carnifexes and a handful (well, two handfuls) of outflanking genestealers... he was worried about my hellhounds - and kept well away wherever possible... and i about his flying tyrant - it just would not die... then came along the vulture - taking out genestealers and gaunts all over the place with some well placed missile shots... but that flyrant was still there - cutting through one squad - but it was now left in the open... i jumped at the chance - and moved my plasma gunners towards it - pulling it down with a sigh of relief...
The game was a close call though - as i pushed out from my line to grab two objectives - my opponent was trying to prevent me from grabbing mine - whilst also attempting to keep his own...

Result:  Ultimately, my opponent was dogged by my seeming ability to hit with virtually everything... nids dont like large blasts, thats for sure. It meant that his troops were left too far from capturing objectives, whilst my troops, again protected by their tanks, were able to secure two objectives (as well as my vets, suported by a hellhound, securing a third - and preventing any nids getting close enough to capture it... a 2-0 win for the good - a great result for a game that could have swung either way...

highlights:
+ taking down the flyrant.
+ hitting with blasts... again and again...

Lowlights:
- an inabiliy to deal with the enemies other monstrous creatures... whom themselves were shaking my tanks.

lascannoners wihtin a ruin eye up the approaching monsters... the team took heavy casualties.

the nids scuttle onwards despite suffering losses, the long ranged shooting was proving temperamental - but they would reach the line shortly - and importantly, they were preventing the guard from getting at important objectives.

the flyrant is left in the open - his fate stood in the hands of the guard...

Offline Bezerek

« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2008, 06:56:17 PM »
Haha that was a Fantastic Highlight O:nk you gave me a Whooping, I blame my lack of an Ability to hit things with Big Guns like in total I fired 12 lascannon shots that game I think I hit twice and my rocket Laucher team got executed by the regimental commisar as soon as I got home for failing to roll higher than 1 repeatidily on the vehicle damage chart.

Hehe, I remember when I screamed "How many damn 4+'s Can you make!" The Vehicle Obscured was definatly your ace in the hole. It kept me wanting to punch babies for the forseeable future.

My Demolisher crew also got executed for scattering every single shot. Well not just them; my entire army did for failing to anything above roll "Crew Inconvenienced"
Thankfully you did blow up the De-BattleCannon'd Leman Russ Rather than the one than could actually hit anything, It could hit but penatrating armor is another kettle of fish.

Big Ben
"King of the Below Par Rolls"

*Subject to Editing when I sort out my Photo's*
<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.rankingshq.com/widget/jquery.js'></script><script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.rankingshq.com/widget/ClientSiteLarge.js'></script><script type='text/javascript'>renderWidget(9,0,0,3,320,250);</script>

Offline Erand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2008, 09:48:22 PM »
Starting with first place...

1st Hymril - 25 points

2nd Richard - 24 points

3rd O;nk -23 points

Dark Fex -22 points
Erriond - 21.050115 points
Mike -21.010213 points
Joink - 20.040122 points
gOOgle - 20.030118 points
Ratastar - 19 points
Chuckles - 19 points
Changeyname -17 points
Big Ben - 16 points
Bill - 16 points
Evil Monkey - 16 points
Teg - 16 points
Craig -16 points
Dave - 15 points
Nny -15 points
Vrykolakas - 15 points
Prethmus - 14 points
Hawiian Zombie - 13 points
Matt - 13 points
Josh - 12 points
Evil Toast - 12 points
Gonzon -12 points
Morgon - 8 points

For your infomation mazimum points for the day were 30. 6 for each round and an additional 6 for the painting status of your army.

Yes Oink in a way a fully painted army did get you 3rd as you got all 6 points for it and therefore beat Dark fex...

If you are wondering how we decided between people on equal points Mac made us an amazing spread sheet on the day that added in all your claimed and contested objectives as well as the kill points from each mission to the total tournament points to give you a more exact ranking. Those numbers are 8 digits long! I don't know how it works so I suggest you ask him but I have double checked and it is indeed totally accurate. As I am sure you will all understand I cannot bring myself to copy them all in here so most of you just have your basic 2 digit tournament point score.

Err... Thats all folks! I will get back to you all with a list of perspective dates for the next one which will be in easter (hopefully!)

Erriond

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
  • All glory to the Hypnotoad .
« Reply #538 on: August 18, 2008, 02:30:25 AM »
Sorry for the late reply , got back from Reading late last night . Was another awesome weekend , and was great fun .

So if I pulled my finger out of my bum and actually painted my stuff I would of been 11th . Must paint my stuff ........

Quick rundown .

Game 1 vs Bill - Draw ( 1 objective each , 2 contested to me , 1 to him )

Most probably the worst dice ever . 8 Dark Lances miss turn 1 , Raider smacks into a pillar the moment it shoots out the portal , Devilfish reverses into the wall instead of over etc etc . Was a good game , learnt something new about Wytches too  ;) .

Game 2 Mike - Draw ( 1 objective each , 2 contested each )

Mike did miss alot . I had nothing in range . Kroot p@wned Genestealers . Huzzah ! Gaunts spent all game swiming in lava . Devilfish reverses into lava . 

Game 3 - Tau player with counts as army ( Dave rings a bell  ??? ) - Win 7KP-KP3

Was worried early on but things started dying with regularity in my favour . Except 5 Stealth Suits owned 16 Kroot . Huh ? And Railguns cannot penetrate a Hammerheads side armour . Fact .......

Game 4 Teg - Loss ( 2 objectives - 1 objective )

What can I say . Too much power armour for my mighty 1's to do anything about . Of course Teg out playing me has nothing to do with my loss  ::) ! Well played again mate .

So , will the next one be this year or next year Easter time ?     
Models painted 2011 . 2010 in brackets .
Infantry : 0 (32)
Large Infantry : 0 (9) 
Bikes/Jetbikes : 3 (0)
Walkers/MC's : 0 (5)
Tanks : 0 (4)
Large Tanks : 0 (0)

Last unit painted : 3 Eldar Jetbikes
Screw it, I give up.

Offline Hawaiian Zombie

• What's worse then zombies? Zombies on fire!
  • Armies: Necrons, Tau, Crimson Fists
« Reply #539 on: August 18, 2008, 05:08:22 AM »
Game 3 - Tau player with counts as army ( Dave rings a bell  ??? ) - Win 7KP-KP3

Was worried early on but things started dying with regularity in my favour . Except 5 Stealth Suits owned 16 Kroot . Huh ? And Railguns cannot penetrate a Hammerheads side armour . Fact ....... 

Counts as army? Come on! There was a hammerhead proxying as a sky ray, that's barely even a proxy  :P

Heh you actually did more damage when you were shooting the hammerhead to the front....
I'm going to tell you what I tell every Dark Angels player. Keep your awesome models and your great background, accept that GW secretly hates you and just play with the rules from the new dex