News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: UK: 7th 40kOnline Tournament RESULTS  (Read 60523 times)

Offline Erand

• Lazerous Penguin
Mac, you can add David to that list as well. I will hassel him into sorting out the time off work. I think I might make it down to the club in a few weeks after my exams are done so I will pay you for us then.

40k exams would be amazing... I wonder if there is a met uni somewhere that offers a degree in 40k... probably not...

Anyway!

A few thoughts for the melting pot. Are people going to be redoing their armies to fit 5th? I personally think I will be including at least two more troops choices and I am going to lose a few of the more flowery things in my list in order to do that. No wave serpent and fewer falcons I think. A fire prism or two might find their way in there.

As for missions we now have less to choose from but there are more ways of setting up. Should we set both variables before the day or will this allow too much tailoring of armies? If so should we randomise both the mission and the set up or just the set up? I think that we should all play the same mission with the same setup rules each round as this keeps things fair.

I would love to write them down in advance and keep them a secret from you all but then Oink would moan when I beat him... Speaking of which, Oink, I challange you! We never end up playing each other, I want to beat you fair and square.

Erriond
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:40:43 PM by Erriond »

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
When you apply for a job with GW they make you do a little warhammer/40K/LOTR quiz to test your game and background knowledge. They don't seem to do anything with it though... at least they did nothing with mine and I know jack about LOTR or a fair chunk of the Warhammer fluff (or rather, I did at the time, I have subsequently improved my knowledge)

Me and Verfeld will, assuming we can both attend, probably be paying via paypal at the end of june around the 27th or so (which is when I get back to the part of the world where I have access to paypal).

I intend to be fiddling with my army in accordance with 5th, mostly in the form of taking a hell of a lot more gaunts than I did before, and possibly (though probably not) taking a CC fex.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
I'm struggling with getting the troops balance right atm. Too many grenadiers and I lose because they're still expensive guardsmen, still just as squishy! Too few units, and I lose because of the scoring units. There's also the balance of multiple units, or bigger squads!

That, and the issues of huge running swarm lists, vs troop filled elite lists such as deathwing, ravenwing, etc... And then once I find out about them, also trying to get a balance on KPs!

Still, list building is half the fun for me! :)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:20:23 AM by Jonik »
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
    • Bracknell Forest Gamers
Mac, you can add David to that list as well. I will hassel him into sorting out the time off work. I think I might make it down to the club in a few weeks after my exams are done so I will pay you for us then.

Erriond

Added

Also Erriond need to sort out about Games Day when your down next run you throught the Table and sceanrio
Bagpipe's are not deadly weapons !. Well it depend who's playing them ! ;)
Bracknell Forest GamersThe Gaming Club Network - GAME ON ![/B]
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
oo oo, nick, let me know when you are going down so i can tag along!

ive played a game using the new rules, the missions are so different and the combination of different mission and deployment essentially means you have 9 separate mission combinations... as opposed to the 5 we had before. (i would envisage that GW look to release a mission expansion book in the future).

I think errionds right, we should fix mission AND deployment type in order to make sure that each round is "fair". we could have it rolled for randomly at the beginning of each round - that stops anyone finding a way of tailoring a list to particular deployment methods or combinations... ??

but erriond... you always beat me thanks to those dodgy falcons... and if you dont take as many then how can you ever hope to win!?  :P

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
oo oo, nick, let me know when you are going down so i can tag along!

ive played a game using the new rules, the missions are so different and the combination of different mission and deployment essentially means you have 9 separate mission combinations... as opposed to the 5 we had before. (i would envisage that GW look to release a mission expansion book in the future).

I think errionds right, we should fix mission AND deployment type in order to make sure that each round is "fair". we could have it rolled for randomly at the beginning of each round - that stops anyone finding a way of tailoring a list to particular deployment methods or combinations... ??

but erriond... you always beat me thanks to those dodgy falcons... and if you dont take as many then how can you ever hope to win!?  :P

For Club events we have set scenario arranged before hand but give them out on the Day
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
Surely, that can lead to some grumbling?

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
Only amongst those who power list to win, most of the gamers that come to WoW,  WoM or Escalation come to have good games and like the challenge of not knowing what their going to face nad have to plan more tactically as they may have a hold or reaguard dumped on their light rapid moving force, or are gun lines that have to get across the whole battlefiled quickly

It the Dark Start organiser in me I suppose
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
76 Days to go?

I'm already on list change 8, and 5th isn't even out yet!
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
well, im thinking about a new army... the ultimate challenge will be to design, built and paint a full 1500pts army... oh well... ill go get my tau out again!

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
hmmm ...
Beastguard - Imperial guard or 30 storm boy based orks

now which army ?
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Not to be repetitive, but is there to be a pub crawl accompanying this outing? Because if there is, I am so there
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Naikee

• Wych
  • Dear, dear..
i had my first game with the new rules today. I am really pleased...on a whole games will be more tactical and movement will play a huge part...especially with very small capturing zones.

I'm still not sure which army to take...the DE seem to get better as a whole with the new rules but i can see the eldar being more fun especially with the new emphasis on troops choices. Guardian jetbikes just got a whole lot better  :D

"Death is my meat, terror my wine."

Current w/d/l with my Slaanesh HOC: 3/1/0
last game against vampire counts 2500

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
Not to be repetitive, but is there to be a pub crawl accompanying this outing? Because if there is, I am so there

One pub crawl to be arranged :)
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
Nick, Luis, tell me when you guys are getting down to the club so I can put extra effort in to get there!

I'm struggling at the moment because of full-time work and lack of transport. I am absolutely dying to see the new 5th edition rulebook and have a few games but all my GW contacts are in Cardiff, which I have now left behind.

I don't think my list is going to change one bit. The ability to re-deploy with the Deceiver is going to be even better - the fact he can now run and now he can't be rended to death or sniped so easily, he is an absolute keeper. I have three durable troops units in my list which used to do all my objective capturing anyway, Veil of Darkness is safer now and my Necron Warriors that get left behind can run to catch up!  (what happens if Lord scatters onto an enemy unit and rolls to be put back in reserve by the way? Does he get put in reserve?) And I still have my powerhouse units like the Destroyers and the Monolith (which seems like it will be even harder to kill now).

It's like my list was built for 5th edition.

Anyway... (see why I'm dying for a 5th edition game?) I think regarding missions, we should just roll for them on the day, it's the easiest way to do it and no-one can be accused of being prepared. It's not exactly time-consuming either...

Mac, I'll pay you when I see you next in person.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
Hi gOOgle
if you want down to the club let me know I can arrange transport / lift :)

Also a bit of balant hi jacking by us (BFG)
http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=163223.0

club tourney event in October :)
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Erand

• Lazerous Penguin
Nick, Luis, tell me when you guys are getting down to the club so I can put extra effort in to get there!

The 23rd of June guys... Yes I know that is way too organised but my life is pretty hectic and if I don't book things way in advance they just don't happen! Oink can you sneak the book out of the store? Kev would have let me have it but I don't know the new manager. Better yet, Mac, have they given you a copy yet?

Oink I think that we can set the senarios but then roll for the deployment at the begining of the rounds so everyone is playing exactly the same mission but they don't know hot to tailor their armies.

Google that c'tan of yours is can't hide from much with actual line of sight. Yes I would presume that VOD puts your unit in reserve if it goes wrong so no loss of unit. Thats so wrong! At least your basic weapons are not as good against my tanks any more.

Oink I can win without falcons... honest! The new list only has 1 falcon and 1 fire prism. I have however gone back to the days of multiple guardian units with starcannons. How I have missed them so.

Erriond

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
......Mac, have they given you a copy yet?

Erriond

I can not say  ;)
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline 0b5idian

erm...how many tickets are still up for grabs?
Beware the Deadly Donkey
Falling Slowly From the Sky
You can Choose the Way You live my Friend
But Not the Way You Die.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
its still early days i believe so there are still a bundle (almost all in fact  ;))...

personally ive got mine plus perhaps at least two others to buy... ill have to check with them.

okay, i think ive narrowed my armies down to a couple of possibilities... knowign that i will NEVER be able to complete a new army for the tourney i have two options...

1. iron hand marine army... proved quite effective thus far. all my 5th edition games (all two of them) so far have been victories... but im not sure how well they can hold up in more competitive play...

2. guard... as from the previous tournament. they proved pretty well last time, and if you ask me i had quite harsh opponents for my army (i went there worried about high toughness models, terminators and flyers... i got to fight an ork army with a fighta, an all bike marine army, and a deathwing army... d'oh). i got the new washes and hope to dull down the models ive already done and then finish off the rest...

hm...

but then my tau look at me and i get all confused.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:09:37 AM by oink »