News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: hard to choose  (Read 557 times)

Offline §eamless

• "rrrrrrrrrrrr"
hard to choose
« on: August 19, 2004, 05:30:47 PM »
 already have some eldar but i think i made the wrong choice. i recently learned eldars are very specialized and im more into making units that are good in one area good in another. i guess you could say thats my forte'. i was doing research on the dark angels and ultra marines i like their background and unit structure. i just need some friendly advice on which one to choose for my playing style.
Take one more step and ill slice ya!

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
Re: hard to choose
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 03:32:12 AM »
I say go Iron Hands  ;D

Iron Hands isn't only "shoot em up army", that just funnels all the bolter fire.  It is much more.  When creating an Iron Hands army you must look at the army in whole, not just unit by unit.  That is their biggest advantage.  They are very flexible because of this, you make your army shooty enough, but also tough to get close to. 

There are four major differences between the Iron Hands amy list and the generic Space Marines list. These are the Iron Farther Character instead of a chaplain; the Venerable Dreadnought HQ Choice; cheaper bionics; and that Veteran Sergeants can have Terminator Armour instead of a Terminator Squad. The end result is an army that can take far more punishment than the standard Marine army. The best part is that you are in control of how much or how little of the extra equipment you want to use.

This is a quote from one of their tactics site I've found

One of their HQ choices is a venerable dreadnaught, which is a very tactical model to field, and here's why:

The 'Old and Wise' special rule is very useful for some missions. A few times I have played games where every aspect is so closely matched that it's who goes first that decides the outcome. Remember that you have this special rule if you field a Venerable Dreadnought as it is easy to forget.
(also, you can field 3 more dreads as your elites if ven. dread is part of your HQ  ;))

Iron Father is another HQ choice, which is quite awsome in itself.  Iron-Fathers have the same stats as a Commander but cost a extra 30 points. Are they worth it? I say they defiantly are! For that 30 points you get an extra 45 points of Wargear in the form of a 4+ inv save 'Mechanicus Protectiva' a Power Weapon, and Bionics.  In addition to that he is allowed techmarine wargear at regular points.

Tactical squads are the same all around no matter which chapter you chose.  So this is always a good squad.  Just tool it up with a missle launcher for anti-tank stuff, and the rest with bolters (a good all around weapon). 
Veteran Segent can be taken to lead your tac squad.  They are a bit different from your usual vet sergents:
Bionics - always have been available to Veteran Sergeants. The Iron Hand Army list has made them more cost effective. This cost effectiveness is amplified if you tool up your Veteran Sergeant with special weapons and terminator honours.

Terminator Armour - Iron Hands Veteran Sergeants can have Terminator Armour. This will be expensive to give to too many Veteran Sergeants. It will increase your stick-ability if you use the upgrade here and there.

Remember: A Veteran Sergeant in Terminator Armour can not ride in a Rhino or Razor Back. So it will slow down squads.

That's about it for now.   I think they are very nice and flexible, able to take on many tasks at once.   
I usualy field two or three tac squads with terminator vet sergents, to march forward, taking cover, and layoing down a nice bolter fire support.  Then I field devastators, put them in a razorback and get them closer to my target, or bail them out if needed.   My predator, just converted  ;), takes the other flank providing more fire support for my main troops.   My vet squad rides with my Iron Father in a rhino to get first contact.   I only field venerable dread if I am required to, second HQ choice, or for tactical advantage on some missions.

Hope that kinda helped, not what you asked, but thought I'd try anyways  ;)

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline Wuestenfux

• Veteran Force Commander
  • Ancient
  • Calculator of Off-Chances
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 03:50:39 AM »
I recommend to start Ultramarines as it is the most versatile chapter of Space Marines. And in view of the upcoming starter set (Ultramarines vs. Nids), they are even more in the focus of GW.

Offline Spiritbw

• Dies novus lucescerit
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 06:44:14 AM »
Also the new marine codex is comming out too.  I'd say we'll probably see it by december but that's just my guess.  Go ultramarines for now as they are the 'basic' marine army.  That is, no special rules and the basis for all the current special chapters.  Once the codex comes out, then decide how you want to go.
"Let our enemies see us comming. Let them tremble at our approach. What have we to fear? We are Fear incarnate!" - Brother Hektor Char, Paragon city campiegn

"Bonus points for anyone that taunts the frog while the machine works"- Dr Devious vs Lincoln High

Give us a visit: http://www.battlefleet-fury.150m.com/