News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Packets of Fun strike force draft  (Read 822 times)

Offline ~Iron Captain Softy~

• The Flesh is Weak!
  • Armies: Ghost Knights
Packets of Fun strike force draft
« on: April 23, 2009, 10:14:14 PM »
Ok, for the record, I am a newbie to TT 40k, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, so please bear with me.

I have a certain strategy that I want to implement with my army, and from what i can see, it's very popular for space marine armies to use drop pods. However, I was wondering if this sort of army list would work for battles against armies like chaos, tau, and imperial guard, just to name a few.

1750 pts, [HM/NM] Packets of fun!

HQ
Master of the forge with conversion beamer and bike: 155 pts

Elites
Dreadnought with multi melta and twin-linked autocannon, extra armor, and drop pod: 165 pts

Dreadnought with multi melta and twin-linked autocannon, extra armor, and drop pod: 165 pts

Ironclad Dread with hurricane bolter and drop pod: 170 pts

Heavy support
Ironclad dread with hurricane bolter and drop pod: 170 pts

Thunderfire cannon with drop pod: 135 pts

thunderfire cannon with drop pod: 135 pts

Troops
tactical squad with plasma gun and lascannon and drop pod: 225 pts

tactical squad with plasma gun and lascannon and drop pod: 225 pts

tactical squad with missile launcher and drop pod: 205 pts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With this strike force, I'm going for ultimate mobility and headhunting capability. My strategy is simple: cut off the head of the opposition, then divide and conquer. With my two melta equipped dreadnoughts, I will attempt to destroy any heavy armor that my opponent brings out onto the table, cutting off his heavy support. The Ironclads will tie up their infantry as they advance, and while all this is happening, I'll deploy my two heavily armed tactical squads on defensible positions with overlapping fields of fire over either the objective or any chokepoints/open spaces. The thunderfire cannons will drop in to high ground or hills with cover and provide covering fire for all my troops. While all this is happening, my master of the forge will be sniping off any heavy armor or other high value targets every turn with his conversion beamer. The final tactical squad will be used to hold/contest objectives.

My regular opponents are chaos and tyranid, and while I'm still getting used to how the tyranid work, I'm pretty sure that this set up can disrupt my friend's formations and provide very important mobility in my otherwise ponderous army. Any feedback and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
They've got us surrounded? That simplifies the problem.
-General Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Offline CapRanger

Re: Packets of Fun strike force draft
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 04:16:15 AM »
You got 9 drop pods. That means that 5 enters the game on the first turn. That might do a hard punch and statistically you get 2 more the second turn and the last two on turn 3 or 4.

I see some problems with this. You can either get 2 dreads, 2 tacticals and a thunderfire on turn one and on turn 2 you get one dread and one tactical... The drops on turn 3 and 4 might be late to help out.

The standard dreads is better with DCCW. This way you can assault tanks and infantry quite nice. The autocannon is good against AV10 Link. Heavy flamers on them might be nice as well before charging. Likewise with the hurricanebolter on the ironclad. They will either be shooting tanks, charging tanks or charging infantry. The extra attack might be quite nice.

Well some of my thoughts.

The tacticals have one problem. They will either be in the front with the special weapon (plasma) or hanging back with the heavy (lascannon). Either way you only get the maximum effect of one of these.

After your drop you don't have that much mobility. Think about how you will do in a Dawn of War set up or if your opponent starts with his army in reserve and let you go first.

The Master is a alone... one lascannon will bring him down fast! How about skipping the master, one standard dread, autocannons and lascannons (360p) for a captain with relicblade and stormshield and a tacsquad with FL, ML and droppod.

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:49:32 AM »
Well, an all-droppod list can surely be fun but over time pods are costly ( both in points and in $$). Reliability could also be a factor.

All in all, having an odd number of pods is slightly in your favor, since it allows to instadrop "one more" pod in the initial wave. But you are still essentially dropping pretty much half of your force, and putting the rest in reserves.

--Possible changes to think of--
One thing you should seriously consider is to have 2 of the tacsquads in rhinos, and possibly dropping one of the thundercannons for something else. Leave the other one in a pod mind you ( for pinpoint deployment) but you can re-use the points reclaimed from downgrading to rhinos and the thunderfire for another troop unit ( i would suggest some cheap scouts, and place them via infiltration) even some biker buddies for your boss  to prevent the universal 40K solution being used upon him (lazcannon snipage in the face).

While this would dillude the podded nature of the list, it will make it a lot more reliable, with you being able to have 2 full tac squads on the ground and 3 pods dropping, plus whatever you will convert the second thundercannon points into ( effectively giving you 6 squads on the table instead of 5)

High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:54:18 AM »
Not a problem if he combat squads the marines, so lascannons deploy seperate other stuff drops in.

With dread yeah multi melta and autocannon is not really a good combination autocannon will be no good against targets multi melta is and vice versa.

I would give ironclad a heavy flammer or two as this really makes him very nasty in assaults.

other than being a little troops light and a few dodgey weapon choices its not all that bad.

Offline Kivi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 02:58:21 PM »
This is a cool list/army. As people already mention, the dreads should be equipped with CC weapon and against nids HF is realy great (thinking of dropping in and bust a squad of Genestealers or somehting). With this amount of dreads and MM I would probobly equipp my Tacsc with plasma canon instead of lascanon, cause the armor busting part feels kind of coverd.

Terminators with Power/Chainfists and Carnifexes will be a big threat against your dreads in CC, so try to get their wounds to a minimum before engaging them, or don't engage them at all. This goes for Demon Prince and Tyrants as well.   

Offline R.I.P.L.E.Y.

• Warriors of forever, will sacrifice tonight.
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »
Drop master. Drop lascannons and plasma guns form tacs. Equip tactical squads with meltas and multi-meltas. Dreadnoughts don't need anything else than multi-melta(maybe H.flamer if you have points.) if they got drop-pod.

Then take He'stan.
Save us tonight, the last hope for all of us, lightyears gone by and we're still holding on.

Count started 28.9.2008
******* Win *** Draw *** Lose*******
Marines     13          3             2
Kriegs       5            6             2
Eldar         9            0             0

• The Flesh is Weak!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 02:21:53 AM »
Ok, so major points I'm getting is that my tactical squad weapon choices are too diversified and redundant, especially with the lascannon choice. One choice is to combat squad the tacticals and go from there after they drop or equip them with FLs(??? Clarification on this?) and missile launchers, or maybe melta guns/multimeltas.

There's also the idea of taking out the autocannon and using a close combat weapon on my dreadnoughts. I'm also hearing something to the extent of taking out a thunderfire and putting my tacs in rhinos instead of a pod to save points up for a captain with RB/SS.

Then there's the last bit about me taking out the MOTF and using he'stan instead. If I remember correctly, He'stan makes my close combat dudes a little better on the rolls, right?

Well, the matches I've been playing required me to take down a few key elements in my opponent's army quickly before he closed into CC range, so I was avoiding CC completely in lieu of a one-hit wonder. I'm a little hesitant about giving the dreadnought the close combat weapon instead of the autocannon because the last time I tried destroying a predator on turn 1, the nought got torn apart after the meltagun missed and the autocannon blasted off the predator's turret. I'm afraid that my dreadnoughts won't live to see an assault phase, so I'm putting my bets on that one turn to open up. I'm also a bit leery of taking out my motf simply because every time I fielded him he did very well for me and never died. He singlehandedly took down a predator, a land raider, and wounded abaddon 3 times.

About the ironclads touting a heavy flamer instead of a hurricane bolter, I'll definitely test that idea out if I ever do go against troop heavy armies, but the main army I'm fighting against is an elite-heavy high value target filled army.

In any case, I will try dropping the autocannons on my normal dreads and putting the close combat weapons on, and I'll drop the plasma guns for missile launchers on my tactical squads. Once I get a few battles in with that list, I'll see how it goes and ask for more advice. Thanks everyone.

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 07:26:57 AM »
Ok, so major points I'm getting is that my tactical squad weapon choices are too diversified and redundant, especially with the lascannon choice.
The point is, pods can safely deep strike you super close to an enemy.  So long range on your guns is less of a factor.  Flamers, meltas, multimeltas can do well here.

There's also the idea of taking out the autocannon and using a close combat weapon on my dreadnoughts. I'm also hearing something to the extent of taking out a thunderfire and putting my tacs in rhinos instead of a pod to save points up for a captain with RB/SS.
Again, your dreads are in pods so they benefit from short ranged guns.  The ccw lets them ignore armor in cc and strike at S10, you want that!  I wouldn't even pod the thunderfires.  They're fragile and long ranged, deploy them way back in your zone and shoot from turn one.

Then there's the last bit about me taking out the MOTF and using he'stan instead. If I remember correctly, He'stan makes my close combat dudes a little better on the rolls, right?
No, he twin links your flamer and melta weapons.  So if you're using a lot of those (short ranged, remember), then they all just got a lot more reliable.  Your dread MM isn't missing, so you don't need to rely on the autocannon and can bring a cc weapon with heavy flamer.  Oh, and that heavy flamer is twin-linked too now.  See?

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

• The Flesh is Weak!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »
I see what you guys are getting at, and I'll definitely change the composition of my tactical squads should I use them for offensive purposes. I'll also try out the changes to the dreadnoughts and see how that works, although I have a little trouble believing that the dreads can survive one turn of shooting from his havoc squads and whatever else he throws.

Not podding the TFCs is definitely a good idea if the board is small and clear, but our games are usually HUGE with lots of terrain in the way, so I kind of need those TFCs in a pod to deploy them in a suitable position on turn 1. Otherwise, I will take them out of the pod and snipe from my deployment zone.

If I can, I'll take out a tactical squad or one of my TFCs to try out he'stan. Twin-linking all my meltas and flamers sounds like a very good idea indeed :D

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 06:24:56 PM »
This list seems really fun! Big surprise for your opponents when they see it the first time.

Do you own 9 pods? wow...

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
I would keep the lascannons and use them combat squadded to hold objectives/ positions in your half of the table whilst popping off enemy vehicles MC etc.... although yes swap plasma for melta or flammers as they allow you to assault as well as shoot them.

Offline Kivi

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:21 PM »

......Well, the matches I've been playing required me to take down a few key elements in my opponent's army quickly before he closed into CC range, so I was avoiding CC completely in lieu of a one-hit wonder. I'm a little hesitant about giving the dreadnought the close combat weapon instead of the autocannon because the last time I tried destroying a predator on turn 1, the nought got torn apart after the meltagun missed and the autocannon blasted off the predator's turret. I'm afraid that my dreadnoughts won't live to see an assault phase, so I'm putting my bets on that one turn to open up.

You got a pretty god point here. The autocanon can penetrate most of the rear armours that are fielded and are better then the CC weapon if the Dread gets poped the first turn. Howeever, if you go He'stan you will only miss one shoot in nine with the melta, which should be enogh in eight of nine cases. But if you know that you only will go tankhunting weak rear armour with the dread, and it will get poped in the first turn, I guess you should stick with the TL AutoC.