News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Newb 1000pt list  (Read 1470 times)

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
Newb 1000pt list
« on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:37 PM »
Hi, I have a young friend who has just begun playing 40K and has chosen to play Tau, an army of which I know very little about. I worked with him for a bit to make this list (I must apologise, We were working from the old Codex). Please tel me what you think as I play DE and this is very new to me as well as him. Thankyou.

H.Q.

Shas'o with plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker: 110

Elites

Crisis Suit- Plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker.

Crisis Suit- Plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker.

Crisis Suit- Flamer, burst cannon and missile pod.

190pts for all 3 suits

Troops

Firewarriors(12) Shas'ui with markerlight and 1 gun drone: 152

Firewarriors(12) Shas'ui with markerlight and 1 gun drone: 152

Fast Attack

Pathfinders( 8 )
Devilfish with 2 Seeker Missiles, decoy launchers: 201

Heavy Support:

Hammerhead with Railgun, Smart missiles and 2x Seeker missiles, decoy launchers, multi-tracker, target lock: 200

TOTAL: 1005pts

Thank you for any comments you have, most of the models have not been bought yet, so this is pretty much planning for now, only the firewarriors and crisis suits have been bought.
Thank you

EDIT: Changed the list after talking to my friend and this is how it stands at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 06:06:03 PM by 2quiet »
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Newb 1000pt list
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 11:12:23 PM »
Halve the number of Seeker Missiles you have on the Hammerhead. Four is illegal. Ditch the Gun Drone from each of the Fire Warrior squads. One just isn't going to help much really. Throw Decoy Launchers on to at least the Hammerhead and hopefully the Devilfish as well.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline crazyguy832

• Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 11:16:59 PM »
1) Shas'O's can have a fair bit more equipment than that.  My codex is two flights up, though, so don't count on me going and grabbing it at the moment.   :P

2) Take that one squad of elites, and split it into 3 squads!  Moral?  Pfft.  No checks when the whole unit is wiped out!

3) Your troops... yeah, it's a good base, I guess.  I would MUCH rather skip out on the gun drones and upgrade one of them to a Shas'ui (which I see you have done already).  Bond them, too, possibly (although this is slightly contraversiol [omg spelling]), if you think you'll need it.

4) Take out the pathfinders entirely and give both firewarrior squads a devilfish.  This is MERELY my opinion, pathfinders are pretty sweet, but think about it.

5) Hammerhead can't have 4x seeker missiles.  2 max.  Also, I would have to reccomend giving it a multi-tracker and dropping the smart missiles for burst cannons.  You save on points which can be used elswhere.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it.  And the new codex has a lot of lovely options which I HIGHLY reccomend looking at.  When I got the new codex (today!  :D), immediately all my lists began getting rewritten.

Oh, and Barr'El's idea with decoy launchers is a MUST.
Sometimes insanity is the sanest option...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 11:20:55 PM »
And the new codex has a lot of lovely options which I HIGHLY reccomend looking at.

Which does not mean pimping out your Battlesuits to the point where they become a detraction from your force rather than an advantage. Some of the Commanders I've seen even put "point sink" into a whole new realm. More "point gravity well." Always consider what you're adding in the way of support systems and war gear with the question of "will it help." Not "might it help." Consider costs and usefulness.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline crazyguy832

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 11:27:10 PM »
Hey, you're looking at the man who wants to stay away from suits as much as possible while still having a competitive army.  Give me more firewarriors in a devilfish any day.

:D

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 12:02:42 AM »
Thank you very much. Yes, they are all really good ideas and I will put most of them in. Two things though:

1) I want the Pathfinders as then my friend can play any battle type (as he has Fast Attack)

2) The gun drone in each squad increases the number of models to 13, meaning that an oponent now needs 4 kills rather than 3 to force a morale check, isn't this correct?

Thank you all, I will edit my post and update the list soon when I'v figured out what I want to do and how to do it.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

Offline crazyguy832

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 01:26:11 PM »
You don't NEED the Pathfinders to have fast attack.

Each squad of Firewarriors and each single Crisis suit comes with TWO gun drones each!  You got 10 drones in that list right there, far more than enough for a fast attack choice (enough for two, in fact!).

And, yes, you're right... but it's still rather a waste of points, imo.  If you're that worried about morale checks, just stick an ethereal on the board (if he's in a FW times, it's fearless, but sticking him behind your two FW squads works great as well, as he can't be targeted!).  Then, all Tau units (everything in that list, actually) with LoS to the Ethereal can re-roll ALL morale tests!  For 50 points, that's a friggin steal.

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 06:11:53 PM »
Ok, will get an Etheral too when able to, but for now the drones will do (already got em) and I want my friend to experience a whole lot of different units rather than be a player who sticks to one style of play which is common around here. Thanks.
Some of my favorites:

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 06:10:19 PM »
Ok, took into account all advice given and I think we incorporated it all... Well, what do you think of the new list, did we miss anything? Thank you for all your help so far and please keep it coming. Thanx again.
Some of my favorites:

Offline crazyguy832

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 10:36:23 PM »
It looks pretty good, imo.  You're 5 points over 1000, but I really don't think that matters.  If someone starts be-atching, it aint that hard to just drop a seeker from one of your tanks.

:D