News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: First of the lizardmen [warning pic heavy]  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
First of the lizardmen [warning pic heavy]
« on: May 12, 2007, 03:08:49 PM »
So like stated before in the fantasy claw and fang board me and my Gf started painting lizardmen recently. She picked up the painting quite fast, and I only needed to show her how drybrushing worked once and she instantly was able to copy the technique, I also learned her to inkt. She had painted 2 mini's before. [actually 1,5] and these were her first ''real painted mini's''.

Comments like always are appreciated.

Above are 12 skinks which we painted together.

Her first own painted skink, she completely painted everything aside the little shield which the bugger is carrying.

Standard bearer and standard saurus

Converted saurus warrior to be my scar veteran, used parts from the cold ones sprue for the conversion.

First rank for my Saurus unit, musician is being painted as we speak.

Offline Shizukanashi

• Warrior
Re: First of the lizardmen [warning pic heavy]
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:36:59 PM »
These look Great, I am very impressed with how quickly your GF is picking up.  Then again I have seen some of your work and she has a good teacher. 

I can wait to see your 1,000 points painted up.  See if you can take some pics of the game with the orcs too.

I am bringing my 1750 army to a tourney next weekend and hope to take some pics to show you mine.  They are green, but my skinks are multi colored (I was thinking like south American Tree Frogs)
You ignorant Mon-keigh and your rotting corpse of a god, may Khaine strike you down swift and true and ease your suffering.

Ankhet come play a fun online game.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Takes a long time to build a cathedral of hate
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:27:55 PM »
Yeah, they're definately really good for a first time. Its definately a shame to see that colour scheme though I just know how unique you caem to fit. Anyway, from the pictures it looks as if the white parts of the crest are just flat. Care to shed any light? Possibly quite literally.

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:02:19 AM »
Whats a crest?

Thanks for the comments so far, I did think about doing them black/red as my own IRL salamander is a firebelly salamander [roughly translated]. Even so I sticked to blue to keep it simple.

Edit: Ow something which does bugs me is the overall white of the shields, I saw that some people are able to make it somewhat brownish at the bottom. Any tips how to do such a thing?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 01:05:05 AM by Archonbjorn »

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 05:54:43 AM »
A crest is what the lizardmen have on their heads! :D

They look very nice Archonbjorn, good job.

Offline nurgle5

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 06:15:12 AM »
lookin' good! i'd recommend blowpipes over javelins though ;).

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:18:12 AM »
You mean the horns? Or the things at the back of their heads? The horns themselves have been painted white, whereas the things at the back of their heads have been painted shining gold with a brown inkt over it.

I know about the blowpipes, more players have mentioned it in my shop. Even so I still have 36 more to paint together with my GF. And thus I will have 24 blowpiped in the end.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 07:45:32 AM »
You mean the horns? Or the things at the back of their heads? The horns themselves have been painted white, whereas the things at the back of their heads have been painted shining gold with a brown inkt over it.

I know about the blowpipes, more players have mentioned it in my shop. Even so I still have 36 more to paint together with my GF. And thus I will have 24 blowpiped in the end.

No man I mean on the skinks. THey have a bone that curls back coming out of their head and then they have a peice of what is effectively skin in between. THe white on the skinks head bit.

Razyus
What sort of evil good for nothing bastard stares out a window, or ducks, or materialises during a bloody good game of cricket

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »
The fin on their head is painted codex grey, not white. I though that this looked rather clear in the first 2 pics. The rest of the horn is painted ice blue, and the end gold with brown if it had some decoration.

Offline Razyus

• I wish things got done
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 02:27:05 PM »
So its just one flat colpour? Right. Thats my major criticism with the skinks. You could do something with it because a small flat tends to detract from the whole model in my personal oppinion.

Razyus
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 02:28:11 PM by Razyus »

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:01:19 AM »
I could give them a black inkt wash, would that solve the problem? I am open for positive criticism and thus might even alter the models if the painting as a whole will increase from it.