News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: FAQ ideas, anyone?  (Read 13551 times)

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
  • Hey Farley, call headquarters.
FAQ ideas, anyone?
« on: January 21, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
There are at least 4 questions that have come up, without clear answers, or the answers seem to be debatable. 

Hive Tyrants
Winged Tyrant- Does it deepstrike?
-----There's a good debate going on about this in the rules forum, my opinion is they do.

Hive Commander- Is the Tyrant required to be on the table?
-----rumors indicate Tyrant must be on table.

Tyrant Guard- Shouldn't they be able to, you know, guard the Tyrant?
-----please?

Which reserves benifits "stack"?

Zoanthropes
Zoanthope Broods- One psychic test per brood, or per model?
----- Ran it as per model, just to be safe

Doom vs. Transports-are embarked units affected?
----- I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole.

Mawlocks/Trygons
Mawlocs- If the blast template is closely surrounded by enemy models, what happens to the Mawloc?
----- Did the math, and it could take as few as 6 models on 1" bases to completely surround the 5" template, not leaving the arriving Mawloc 1" of clearance.  (my guess here is move the enemy further, no crowding the sandworms.)

Mawlocs (again)- if they mishap, (say, by scattering off the table), do they return from underground, or the Tyranid table edge?
-----I feel they should return from underground, as this is normal for them.  However, I have nothing to support this.

Can Raveners use a Trygon Tunnel?
-----Seems kinda like they should, but RAW seems to say otherwise. (and for fluff, they can dig thier own tunnels)

Spore Mines
Can spore mines assault?
Can VP be earned for destroyed spore mines?

General
Mysetic Spores- What happens when a tank tries to run one over?

Other
Acid Blood- How many wounds?
-----The guys at my LGS pretty much agree, it's limited to how many wounds the critter had.  After all, take one Alien from the movie series, add to an industrial orange juicer, and you'll probrably only get so much blood out of the thing.

Feel No Pain/Acid Blood
-Do feel no pain saves still cause acid blood damage?

I'd like to think this is a complete list of things that might be unclear, but I'm not that optimistic.  what's anyone else got?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:36:50 PM by Travellar »
"he's either the most brilliant troll ever, or he's crazy." -Bloodhawk

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
Re: FAQ ideas, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
Hive Commander- does it work when the model with the upgrade is in reserve, or does the model have to be on the table to provide the bonus?
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Codeman90

• I haz to try!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 12:47:41 PM »
Hive Commander- does it work when the model with the upgrade is in reserve, or does the model have to be on the table to provide the bonus?

I think that one has been cleared up by the writer of the codex, I believe I read that on BoLS, not entirely sure though. The ruling was that it had to be on the field.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"- Ghost

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:49:03 PM »
Going to need a link to that one, and in any case unless it's in a formally printed GW document like an FAQ most tournament organisers and so on are unlikely to accept it as a ruling, unbelievably
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Codeman90

• I haz to try!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
yeah its definatly not final , most likely a rumor at best. Just a heads up on which way the ruling will probably go, we'll have to wait for the official FAQ.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind!"- Ghost

Offline BaconTaser

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:23:20 PM »
New question that my colleague and I thought we should ask here.

Can the Ravener use the tunnel hole from the Trygon?

As the codex says that any infantry in reserve without wings can use it, but Raveners a Beasts.

Yet in the Latest battle report from White Dwarf, they did use the hole.

( Raveners are miniaturized versions of the Trygon I think.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:40:45 AM by BaconTaser »

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:58:32 AM »
^Raveners using the hole would be more of an Errata, but whatever.

For the FAQ, how about, "Does Spirit Leech (The Doom's power) affect units that are embarked on transports?"

You can see the argument over here: http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=195461.msg2399656#new
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Moonsinger

• The Cause of Priapism | Meanie!
  • Ancient
    • KFD-Comics
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:37 AM »
Does the Trygon have to move away from it's hole for the others to use it?
Dwarf Females <3
Priapism is considered a medical emergency, which should receive proper treatment by qualified medical people

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 08:27:24 AM »
Mawlocs- If the blast template is closely surrounded by enemy models, what happens to the Mawloc?
----- Did the math, and it could take as few as 6 models on 1" bases to completely surround the 5" template, not leaving the arriving Mawloc 1" of clearance.  (my guess here is move the enemy further, no crowding the sandworms.)

If you read the Mawloc "terror" rules very carefully you will actually find an answer to this. it took me a little while and that is because the last sentence actually appears "out of sequence".

I don't have the book on me (im at work) but it goes something along the lines of

"after casualties have been removed replace the template with the mawloc".

If you note, just BEFORE this it explains that models that are not killed are moved away and must be no closer than 1" to enemy models...

So - mawloc arrives, blast hits, casualties are removed, blast is replaced with mawloc, models "under" the mawloc are moved and end 1" away.

it IS all there... just you have to decipher it a bit.

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
Does the Trygon have to move away from it's hole for the others to use it?

No.

Quote from: pg.50, under Subterranean Assault
..., place the entire unit so that all models are within 6" of the marker...
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
unfortunately, that sequence is critical when determining how the rules work.

Here's one, suppose I take a ton of Mysetic spores.  Lictors can place those things just right, (provided the Lictor arrives first).  How about Trygons?  Spore pods don't have wings, after all!  :o
(actually, my opinion here is that the player trying this needs to aquire an electric fan, some duct tape, and three pairs of gloves.  Remove the cover for the fan, tape one glove to the end of each fan blade, set to high, and insert face.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:09:07 AM by Travellar »

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 01:36:50 PM »
I have some Doom of Malan'Tai questions!!

Absorb Life rule:  We're talking every wound!?  CC, Spirit Leech, and Cataclysm!!!???  Thats pretty awesome.

Cataclysm:  If the d3 wounds drop to 0 or below before wounds are gained, does "The Doom" die!?  Assumming he does.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Travellar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »
Yeah, it's my impression too, since it's hard to use a rule once you're already dead.  On the other hand, when my Tyrant blew her brains out on a double 1 the other day to cast leach, she could have regened.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
Yeah, it's my impression too, since it's hard to use a rule once you're already dead.  On the other hand, when my Tyrant blew her brains out on a double 1 the other day to cast leach, she could have regened.

It certainly would limit you on wanting/risking the use of the power.  I suppose I would avoid casting Cataclysm if he only had 3 wounds or less remaining.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Mycetic Spores can't use a Trygon's tunnel because they are MCs and not infantry.

Anytime the Doom causes a wound, he adds it to his own wounds (up to 10).

If the Doom loses all of his wounds due to Cataclysm, then he is dead and can't get any wounds back. Do note that when you use Cataclysm, you still absorb all the wounds you caused, just after the D3 wounds are lost. That means you can end up with a net gain in wounds (i.e. I cause 2 wounds and lose 1 from the D3, so I end up with one more wound than I started with). Of course, the Doom must be alive to get wounds back.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Twigzy

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »
For the hive guard protecting the tyrant question - I've had a read of the current rulebook, and no where does it say that a monstrous creature that is part of a squad can be picked out by enemy fire. It was mentioned in the 4th ed codex, but not in this one. Probably because there is no monstrous creature/independent character overlap, so they can't join units willy nilly except for special circumstances ie: hive guard

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 09:00:19 PM »
For the hive guard protecting the tyrant question - I've had a read of the current rulebook, and no where does it say that a monstrous creature that is part of a squad can be picked out by enemy fire. It was mentioned in the 4th ed codex, but not in this one. Probably because there is no monstrous creature/independent character overlap, so they can't join units willy nilly except for special circumstances ie: hive guard
I'd suggest re-reading the second paragraph on page 49 of the rule book

then once you've rethought your position wait for a better rule from GW like the rest of us ;)
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Meatwad

• Now kickin' ass and takin' names
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 04:50:59 AM »
how about this....

Trygons say that once they deepstrike, they make a hole where it came up from.  And more units can come out of it if they're at least 6" from the marker.

How big is this marker?  is it a single point where the trygon deepstruck? or is it the size of its base? or a coin?
Alboridian:
O  o
 /¯/___________________________ _ __/
| =====Always Fully Charged.=====:::
 \_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯\

"I wish i was a moderator..."   -Meatwad

Offline Khira'lyth

• Archon
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »
The Trygon entry specifically mentions the size of the hole.

Khira'lyth

Offline Outsider

• Ripper
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 04:48:03 AM »
wheather multiples of the hive commander +1 to reserves ability stack with eachother...

exactly how long the broodlords aura of despair (-1 ld) lasts... the wording is really confusing to me...( why not just say until the end of the opponents turn??? or does it last through yours as well to complete the full player turn...)
what was i saying again?... my train of thought has become derailed and has killed 20 innocent bystanders...