News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: One of my feared opponents  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
  • Let's put a smile on that face.
    • About Me
One of my feared opponents
« on: July 12, 2002, 10:26:01 AM »
Perhaps it's their terrifying look, or the fact that they usually come in packs of 32, or whatever... but 'nids have always been the one force that terrifies me... I've only played against them once with my Eldar force, but I'd like to say that DANG are those Tyrands hard to kill!
Just a fan of this awesome site.

Offline FrozenFury

• Demon llama! Demon llama where?!
    • The Zone
Re:One of my feared opponents
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2002, 11:06:40 AM »
Have you ever played against a 'nid "turtle army"?  THAT'S hard to kill.  They set up the terrain in a semi-circle on their side of the board and with a piece of woods on either side of the semi-circle (plus some random stuff on my side of the board).  They sat behind the semi-circle with one biovore and 1/3 of their army.  The other 2/3 of their army and the 2 other biovores were behind the other two pieces of woods.  Seeing as that Eldar doesn't have much in the way of indirect fire, I had to trudge across the board, all the while getting shot at by biovores.  Then, when I finally got there, I get charged by a fresh 'nid army...CHEESE!!!
A word to the wise is useless.  It's the stupid ones that need the advice!

If electrons make electricity, then to morons make morality?...

Offline Farseer eldaroth

• I have no fear!
    • The eldar world
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2002, 01:10:44 PM »
Im playing against a tynarid army in about a week so im not sure how good they are but my opponent is my best friend so i should know whats hes going to do.  
I am farseer eldaroth of the planet abul-kun.  I may seem weak but am not.  I changed from sion if you remember me.  You believe you know no fear mon-keigh? We will teach you to fear again.  Go to my website at http://biel-tan.bravepages.com

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2002, 01:59:49 PM »
I actually like to play against the 'Nids.  PLaying a mechanized Biel Tan list I'm usually considerably out numbered, but I'm also much more mobile and can pick my fights.  The most important thing about playing aginst Nids is threat assessment and using the right unit for the job.  You don't want your Howling Banshees getting bogged down in huge Gaunt broods, that's what Striking Scorpions are for.  Vypers with Starcannons are GREAT bug hunters!  I do think any one should think twice about taking Mind War against 'Nids.  The unit's you are really going to want to use it against will most likely have a leadership of 10.  You might be better off taking Guide to kill more bugs in the shooting phase.  That's just a personal observation.

I really like the Tyranids and have started slowly building up my own Hive Fleet (some of you might have seen my flying Hive Tyrant in the EO Konversions forum).  Although, I've still got a lot of work to do on my Craftworld before I stat putting too much effort into my bugs.
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2002, 03:37:11 PM »
When I play Eldar against 'nids, I basically do the same thing. I like Swooping Hawks for bombing Hive Nodes... slows 'em down.

About the terrain thing... that sounds more than a little... gah! What's the term for that type of thing? When I set up terrain, I just fill the whole field. 'Course, the battles I play start looking like Cityfight... in any case, try to convince the other person to set up terrain evenly.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Grim Stalker

• Ancient
  • Honour and Duty
    • Grim Stalker's Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2002, 04:28:02 PM »
naah man, nids arent sooo scary ...

... through the eyes of a (extremely) shooty Imperial Guard army that is!!!

yup i always pack my foot sloggers with as much firepower - ignore all those fancy and expensive elites and commissars - and just load up on GUNZ and blast away, hoping that they dont come TOO close

grim

Offline Seer Tyhalandras

• Ambassador of the Mon Faroth CraftWorld
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2002, 10:32:56 PM »
A piece of advice for Farseer Eldaroth,
lots of people will tell you to concentrate all your heavy fire on the bigger nids but from my experience it all depends on how the armies are structured.
If you think you have enough guardians and scorpions to handle his gaunts once they get close then  go gung ho on the big ones.  But if you play biel tan or iyanden then i would suggest lots and lots of scatter lasers. A squad of 3 warwalkers with scatter lasers and a farseer nearby with guide should reduce at least one squad of guants a turn to "manageable" levels ;D

And coming from the other side of the argument since  Nids were my first army, if i have enough carnifexes and hive tyrants and raveners then not even the withering fire of the eldar or Tau will be enough to stop me since the raveners and hormogaunts will be in combat on second turn(Considering terrain of course) and i've killed schaeffers last chancers with squad of hormies in combat on first turn without casualties!
Hope this helps,

Seer T
Hive Fleet Necrosis = 6000ish Pts
Mon-Faroth Craftworld = 5000ish Pts
Deathwing = 2000ish Pts

Offline Errgin

• Fear the Reaper.
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2002, 01:23:10 PM »
'Nids aren't that scary...until they start mutating.  A couple huge gaunt squads with wings, some warriors with wings, leaping, all of a sudden they're on you in two turns, tying up your front line units and creating quite the obstruction for your reapers (or other firepower units) that you have to hide or they'll be the ones getting assaulted.
We dare not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Lord Grant me the Strength to Change what I can, the Courage to accept what I can't, and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Lord of Fire

• Well so much for not having a picture..
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2002, 04:02:01 PM »
I play nids(as well as eldar) and can tell how they freak peopel out just by how much fire they concentrate on my tyrant and biovores(which by the way never seem to die :) ). They totally freak out when i put my tyrant on the board with 4 sything talons, warp blast,warp field, all that good stuff ;)
Mess with the best, and die with the rest.

Offline Rogue_Phoenix

• ##Censored##
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2002, 06:31:29 PM »
I have found that hive tyrants always seem to die from either devestator squads or massed bolter/shuricat/pulse rifle etc. fire. Plus warp field is the most rediculus upgrade in the army, if you mutate your hive tyrant. Extended carapace is +15 pts and warp field is 25. I can't see the difference either.

Offline Jackdaw

• The jackdaw crowed before fleeing into the sky.
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2002, 07:23:53 PM »
I agree with Rogue Phoenix. Extended carapace is much better than Warp Field. I don't know why it's even an option for Hive Tyrants. Your extra psychic power is better spent on Psychic Scream. That'll get the Emperor's Finest fleeing!

Happy Trails.
Follow me, fading underneath the mist of hate,
Follow me, take my blood stained hand,
Where we can roam among the fields of time,
Finally free, follow me...

SeerRepresentative

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2002, 11:19:30 PM »
Tyranids are to be feared, but they can be dismantled.  I think nearly anything not normally played is good againts Tyranids.  Think Shadow Weavers, Warwalkers (sort of...), Vibro Cannons, Swooping Hawks.  My friend just started, so I will test my theory soon

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2002, 07:01:25 AM »
'Nids definatly arn't scary try to eat my Necrons and they won't have any teeth left!!!!!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2002, 07:20:01 AM »
I like 'nids. They'll probably be my next army if i don't start my "Fallen Eldar" project.
However, i really like playing against them too, with all my raider squads, wyches...

jwu

Offline MrMischief

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2002, 09:08:39 AM »
I PLAY NIDS AND I ALWAYS WIN!!!!

My Lictor's name is Bubba and hes gay, he makes love to the enemy troops

i have only a few gaunts (16 of each) but i also have 24 genestealers. my biggest pain in the ass is my Zoantheropes, Tyrant, and Carnifex. zoanteropes and tyrant all have warpblast and my tyrant has a pair of rending claws and talons. The Carnifex (Acidfex as he is a mutated genus) carries a DeathSpitter, so hes packing a Strenth 10 Blast Template weapon from hell.

I havent been beaten by any 1 with this army is 6 months
"Knowlage pursues me, But I am faster"

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2002, 09:59:07 AM »
Have your stealers ever faced wyches with the new rules?

You get no extra attacks for additional ccw's
You attack with halved WS
Wyches have a 4+ invulnerable save in close combat
They will charge you because they have a raider transport

jwu

Offline Shadowlord

• Strike at night !
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2002, 10:52:01 AM »

Perhaps it's their terrifying look, or the fact that they usually come in packs of 32, or whatever... but 'nids have always been the one force that terrifies me... I've only played against them once with my Eldar force, but I'd like to say that DANG are those Tyrands hard to kill!

No problems with DE vs nids. DE can pick there fights and all those splinters can do wonders! You can  just  circle around weakening the enemy and fly away when the aliens get too close, only to repet the same stuff. When you finally outnumber them you just assault them and kill the last bugs with ease.  

Callidus

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2002, 11:31:32 PM »
Acidfex, huh? I still my Terrorfex (yeah, I know, it's also a DE thing) is better. It has a Barbed Strangler (S8, Ordnence Blast), Sything Talons, and Extended Carapace (2+ save!!! WOOHOO!!!) plus implant attack and Bioplasma. Basically a normal Carnifex, with 2+ save.
The Barbed Strangler is usless on any other 'Nid, so take it on the Fex.
I don't actually have a 'Nid army, I just like making mutantes, so if you need an idea, just ask your friendly neighbourhood C'tan!

Offline Jackdaw

• The jackdaw crowed before fleeing into the sky.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2002, 02:01:46 AM »
C'tan Man, your Terrorfex is okay, except for one thing:
Where the hell are the Adrenal Glands (WS AND I)?
Adrenal glands are complusory for a Carnifex. If you want to, give it Enhanced Senses as well. Don't be afraid to max out your Tyranids. Great call on the bio plasma, though.

And Mr. Mischief, your Tyrant is in need of biomorphs. You should give it toxin sacs to beef it up. Adrenal glands and bio-plasma, as always, wouldn't hurt. And since it has rending claws and scything talons, wings are your friends. Oh, and I think homosexual Lictors are against regulations.

Happy Trails.
Follow me, fading underneath the mist of hate,
Follow me, take my blood stained hand,
Where we can roam among the fields of time,
Finally free, follow me...

Callidus

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2002, 05:15:51 PM »
I said it's basically like a carnifex, except with a 2+ save. A "normal" Carnifex would be the one described in the Army List of Codex: Tyranids. He has the exact same stats as that Carnifex, but with a 2+ save!
Get it?