News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: IG Hybrid List (500p)  (Read 1430 times)

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
IG Hybrid List (500p)
« on: January 8, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »
I'm a bit tired of my Orks a the moment, and started to think of a Grot-Guard-Hybrid-List. What do you think of this list:

CCS - 85p
Lascannon, Plasmagun
Creed - XXp
Kell - XXp

Veteran Squad - 90p
Mortar, Sniper Rifles x3

Veteran Squad - 95p
Power Weapon, Grenade Launchers x3
Harker - XXp

Comments on both the concept (Grotz as Veteran Guards) and the list are welcome. The list will not be so competitive, more of a fun list.

Offline crew4man

• I say, would anyone care for a scone?
Re: IG Hybrid List (500p)
« Reply #1 on: January 8, 2012, 09:28:23 AM »
Creed and Kell are ton of points for what you're looking to do with 'em. You only have 25 guard bodies, which is absolutely nothing. Fun lists aim to not get you totally annihilated.  ;)

That said, grotz as Vets is a hilarious concept that I would never have thought of. However, I'd think they'd be more  "conscripty"

So, back to Creed and Kell. Creed's draw is that one special move and the extra orders. But, you only have 3 units to order to anyway, and one of them is going to have to move up and secure stuff, so you're only ever going to need two orders, something a normal CCS can provide. Kell acts as a super powerup for a CCS, combining several upgrades into one. (Vox, powerweapons, Regimental Standard, an extra body, bodyguard);

I would suggest, instead of so many points in an HQ that is going to do very little, to get rid of them and look at something else, either a CCS or a PrimePsycker. CCS is nice because of all the special weapons, but the Psyker is nice because of all his damage. The idea I had would be to load up the CCS with GLs and place the psyker in that squad. This comes out to nearly 100 points or more less than Creed/Kell and is going to do some damage.

Still need more troops though...hm
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #2 on: January 8, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
After realizing that half of the army is SC:s, I changed it a bit.

CSS - 92p
Lascannon, Camo Cloaks, Meltabomb

Marbo - XXp

Veteran Squad - 95p
Heavy Bolter, Sniper Rifle x3

Veteran Squad - 95p
Heavy Bolter, Sniper Rifle x3

Leman Russ Battle Tank - XXXp

Lascannon if someone would bring a vehicle at this point level. Russ against 3+ or less. Vet's for covering fire. Marbo if the enemy don't want to come closer. ;)
Crew4man: Since all of the army must be the same type of guards (since I will use only grot models), Vet's are the only ones I can use.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #3 on: January 8, 2012, 12:23:21 PM »
I'm glad you changed your list... you were in the process of recieving a "Worst list, EVER!" post. ;)

For what you have, your points are off by 3 for the CCS...

Grenade Launchers are superior to SR's in Vets squads for a number of reasons. Mobility, blast vs strength, similar range by the time you've moved... I don't see the allure. If you take GL's, you're better off taking AC's instead of HBs, to let you deal with transports.

I'd rather have:

75 - CCS: Vox, Lascannon

135 - Vets: Vox, 3x Plasma Gun, 1x Missile Launcher

140 - Harker, 3x GL

CDX - LRBT

500 - Total

Harker's Vets can infiltrate forward or outflank, if you're feeling gutsy, to take forward objectives. At least they can try... I like getting an AC into Harker's squad, so they can be better at taking out light vehicles or shooting rear AV on most any vehicle.

The rest sits back and bombs away, with orders to peg vehicles and troops.

Gretchin are a poor choice to represent Vets. Conscripts yes, regular guardsmen yes, but not Vets.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #4 on: January 8, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
How do you make a 500p guardlist without vet's?

Offline crew4man

« Reply #5 on: January 8, 2012, 02:10:17 PM »
He said that grots don't work as vets. (Because vets are elite-hard-arses that have survived where hundreds, if not thousands of men, have died). Not to not use vets.  ;)

Note that the guard's units are cheap, and we can have plasma in IS. Bert the Turtle wrote a guide on this, I believe. Fill out the IS's with Plasma and auto-cannons (things that can damage everything), maybe throw in a cheap artillery piece (Griffen), or some MLs in a HWS. PCS with flamers will never go wrong, ever. For only 225 points you could have 21 lasguns, 3 autocannons, and 3 plasma guns, for a total of 42 lasgun shots, 6 autocannon shots, and 6 plasma shots. Give a CCS a lascannon for any armor, and you could easily have more than 55 bodies in 500pts. I think I might try to make a list for 500pts...mhm...
Victory- a delicious recipe of timing, confidence, audacity, intelligence... and having more warm bodies than the other guy.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: January 8, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
He said that grots don't work as vets. (Because vets are elite-hard-arses that have survived where hundreds, if not thousands of men, have died). Not to not use vets.  ;)
Of course, but since I'm going to use grotz, I can't use vet's. ;)

Do 1 platoon with PCS and two IS:s fill the minimum of troop choices that you need?

Offline crew4man

« Reply #7 on: January 8, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
No, you'd need two platoons. Actually, after I said that I started working on a 500pt list and it is challenging without vets. I could get alot of bodies in there but not enough firepower/staying power (commisars). Maybe if I use the lord commisar (gruntherd)...mhm.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #8 on: January 8, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
GBT's shot at a No-Vet 500 list: (Note, that this is an excercise, not a recomendation. This is hard at 500 pts. ;))

CDX - Primaris [Weird Boy]

CDX - PCS: [Gretchin Minderz]

70 - Infantry Squad: 1x GL, 1x Missile Launcher

70 - Infantry Squad: 1x GL, 1x Missile Launcher

105 - PCS: Captain Al [Gretchin Captain], 1x Flamer

155 - Infantry Squad [20]: 1x Commissar [Runtherd], 2x Meltabombs, 2x Grenade Launcher

So this Weirdboy goes right off the deep end, sees himself as a Gretchin Messiah, convinces a Runtherd to bring his flock along to go sew discord and meyhem through the galaxy... The Gretchin leader finds himself a sparkly stick o' doom, and taa-daaa!

This, thematically, avoids energy weapons in favour of explosives and flamers, which the Orks tend to use instead. Replace "Meltabombs" with "Tankbusta Bombs" and you're good to go!
« Last Edit: January 8, 2012, 04:19:15 PM by GreatBigTree »

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #9 on: January 8, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
Imperial Guard - 500p

Lord Commissar - 80p
Power Weapon

Penal Legion - 80p

PCS - 115p
Autocannon, Al-Rahem, Krak Grenades

Infantry Squad - 80p
Lascannon, Krak Grenades

Infantry Squad - 80p
Lascannon, Krak Grenades

Marbo - XXp

IS:s blob together with commissar. Everyone hopefully outflank on the same side. ;)
Is this list good?

Offline crew4man

« Reply #10 on: January 8, 2012, 10:14:29 PM »
Of course, the penal legion! I think I might got this now.

Lord Commisar-70pts

Infantry Platoon-275
IS-PlaRAC-75
IS-PlaRAC-75
IS-PlaRAC-75
-PCS-4x flamers-50

Penal Legionares-80pts

Grifin-75pts

Not too good but a bit rushed, laptop just died horribly in-front of me and I need to figure out how to destroy or save it.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2012, 03:27:42 AM »
What about my list? Is it good?

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »
Have been thinking about it a bit more, what about this list?:

CCS
Autocannon

CCS
Autocannon

Marbo

Penal Legion Squad

Penal Legion Squad

Leman Russ Vanquisher

Rebel looking grotz as penal legionares, and a bit more sofisticated grotz as command squad?

Offline O lager

• Duty Ends only in Death
  • Armies: Imperial Guard
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 12:26:46 PM »
I like the new list, but I think you should change to things.

One switch the Vanquisher with a standard LRBT. In 500 pts you shouldn't need such a dedicated tank hunter. Plus the large blast will help with well everything. 

The second thing I would change is the second CCS, it's not needed and only bringing a single AC to the fight. I say either drop it to add sponsons on the tank, and goodies for the first CCS ( like a power klaw, and GL). Or take some ratlings. Sniper rifles are nice.
The Emperor Protects

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 01:44:10 PM »
CCS w/ Autocannon

Marbo

Ratlings (6)

Penal Legion Squad

Penal Legion Squad

Leman Russ Battle Tank

5p left, what to do with them?

Offline crew4man

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 04:01:46 PM »
Eh, give the CCS a GL or melta bombs I guess.