News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help my orks arent orky!!!  (Read 2619 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Help my orks arent orky!!!
« on: June 13, 2006, 06:40:04 AM »
well title says it all really.... i have a goff army, so loadz of da boyz, 50 slugga boyz, 20 shoota boyz, 20 Ard boyz, mega armour nobz, dreads, killer kans etc.... the problem is although its a typical goff ork army it just doesnt look orky, theres no konversions and i cant think of any to do as i have a lack of vehicles ... i need help to make my orks suitably orky and less like standard models...

ideas, suggestions anyfing konstructive iz goin straight to da boss

Offline Foxfire

• Necron Lord of 40KO | KoN Veteran
  • Ancient
  • The picture is a werewolf
  • Armies: Necrons and Orks
Re: Help my orks arent orky!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:16:32 PM »
Hmm...well, I like messing around the with poses of the various Boyz.  Every once in a while I elect a "bo'n leada'" who is posed looking back at the other Boyz with one arm(generally the slugga arm) pointing forward, and with the choppa beckoning the rest of the Boyz to follow.  I like this pose, as it suggests a few brave Boyz spurring the rest into acts of Waaaghy bravery!  Likewise, I have some "berserkaz", Boyz with the toothy roar on their faces which I have in very eager poses, running screaming into the enemy, axe held high with their gun blazing away before them.  I have some "cutt-froat" poses too, Boyz who I've modeled to look sneakier, and have the scaled down knived rather than the full-fledged choppas.  Imagine them as the Boyz who run around and knife enemy fighters in the back as they try to contend with the more in-your-face Orks.  Then there's converting Rokkits, Burnas, and Big Shootas, rather than just buying them.  I have yet to buy any of the above mentioned special weapons, but I do field eight of them in my army.  Since each weapon was converted in a different way and none of them look the same, the Orky appearance just sort of presents itself.

I'm still thinking of ways to convert my vehicles, so I'll get back to you on that.  Keep in mind that pieces of old toys work wonders.  For a while I was running to Dreadnought based off the chassis of a few bionicle-like products, though eventually the daunting size of the models and the lack of paint made them look too ridiculous and I disassembled them.  My Boss, on the other hand, has a giant powa klaw and two not-matching shoulder pads from various action figures, so I like the way he came out.

Offline alienspokinatcha

• Burny Goodness!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 06:14:22 PM »
well title says it all really.... i have a goff army, so loadz of da boyz, 50 slugga boyz, 20 shoota boyz, 20 Ard boyz, mega armour nobz, dreads, killer kans etc.... the problem is although its a typical goff ork army it just doesnt look orky, theres no konversions and i cant think of any to do as i have a lack of vehicles ... i need help to make my orks suitably orky and less like standard models...

ideas, suggestions anyfing konstructive iz goin straight to da boss

Conversion guides

Heavy Weapons
http://62.209.161.73/orks/converting3.asp

Lobbas
http://www.garbo.org/40k/lobbacon.html

Mix and match old orks with 2nd ed orks you find on ebay.

with goffs horns are important so start converting horns on them!

buy green stuff and learn how to use it - its invaluable for small details that can be added to anything!

What do we have for entertainment?; cops kicking gypsies on the pavement! - Joe Strummer

''When freedom rises from the killing floor
No lock of iron or rivet can restrain the door
And no kind of army can hope to win a war
Like trying to stop the rain or still the lion's roar
Like trying to stop the whirlwind scattering seeds and spores
Like trying to stop the tin cans rapping out jailhouse semaphore...'' - "48864"

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 09:57:38 PM »
'Ard Boyz look good with those spiky Shoulder Pads... or what about draping them in chains?  You could get a roll of fine chain CHEAP at a local craft store, methinks.
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline The Spaceman

• Zap
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 10:38:16 PM »
One simple trick I have used is a bit of green stuff or other modelling mateial inserted into the waist. It will give the boyz varying height. Between 5mm and 1 cm looks best. You can also use it to repose the arms into more individual shapes.

To those who say it can't be done.
I just did it.

Armies
Black Templar 2500pts
Orks 3500 pts
Imperial Guard 3000 points
Dark Eldar 3000 pts
Blood Angels 1500pts
Chaos 1500pts

Offline Boss Hussar

• I'm da biggest n' I'm da Baddest so I'm da Boss
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 12:40:15 AM »
Its not just the army, its where it is.

If you take the time to make terrain that fits with your army you will probably find your Orks looking great. Look at some of the buildings in the game Dawn of War for inspiration.

One thing that is fortunate about the orks is that getting looked at is a team effort. While modeling every single Ork is rewarding in its own obessively creepy way (like I do for my Shootas) when your Ork Horde is assemble in a frantic group of green anger with choppas and sluggas poking out of the mob the mas of Orks seems to become one creature.
Orks... They rule.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 06:01:21 AM »
i hadnt thought about their location.. theyre jus sitting on a wooden shelf on a mat of green static flock sheeting... typically unorky you might say... hmm i think i could come up with a few buildings for them

does any one have any ideas for how i could make my killer kanz or next dread a helluva lot mor orky?

Offline Boss Hussar

• I'm da biggest n' I'm da Baddest so I'm da Boss
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 11:53:59 AM »
'Ere We Go!

1. Battle Damage

2. Orky Runes (Goffs like Check, right?)

3. Rust

4. Enemies (either in splattered blood or something else)

5. Grotz

6. Put a banner on a pole to one of them. The banner from fantasy work great. Alternatively you could just use card and some spare sprues from your other models. That way is cheaper.

7. Show what weapon you walker has on the base. For a Rokkit you could add scrapped vehicles, for a Big Shootas use shells made from copper tubing, and for a Skorcha (you said you use a green mat?) make the dirt charred and black from the excessive amount of napalm the walker spreads everywhere.
Orks... They rule.

Offline Ov3rki11

• Lock and Load
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 02:45:20 AM »

5. Grotz

lol quite true  ;D grots make an ork army orky (if that makes sense)
I agrre battle damage and blood, dead things and gliphs. remember...orks arnt clean ::)

Cheers
"If I were you, I would run now. But, Knowing you you will ponder your tactics until the battle itself swarms around you."
Bikes are good for riding... Oh and shooting things with their front mounted bolters. Because all bikes have those. Even my push bike.

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
try making the metal look more rusted.
i'm welsh and don't you forget it.

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:27:08 PM »
well after the suggestions i re - began on my orks.. i changed the way i paint the skin i made the painted metal areas eg helmets armour etc chipped, rusted etc... i based them in a desert setting and made them dusty using light drybrushing techniques and let me tell you the few ive done look a helluva lot more orky.. now all ive got to to is come up with ideas for lootin

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 04:42:27 PM »
they sound really good can u post some pics of them?

"A good general does not lead an army to destruction just because he knows it will follow." The Tactica Imperium

Offline Kr00zA

• Ded 'Ard Konverta
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 05:27:17 PM »
Give ur boyz dynamik poses. Simple n effective ;)

Beef the weapons up on ur Dread n add a proppa jaw plate.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:29:16 PM by Kr00zA »

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 05:28:43 PM »
those r cool i may use that tip

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 03:39:39 AM »
cheers krooza your dread is uber cool, im guesinng you bulked up the weapons with plasticard rite?  and i like the idea of dynamically posing my orks except doin that on all of them would be unrealistically achevable, do the charging orks look ok mixed in with non chargin orks?

Offline Kr00zA

• Ded 'Ard Konverta
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 05:45:39 AM »
The charging Orks are very easy to make.
Cut one leg off right up at the buttock "the one with the flat foot"
Shave a bit off the asre so the leg can be stuck back on at a better angle.
Cut the foot off this leg tilt it back for a more natural angle.
Glue to the base.
Glue torso on at a angle so its twisting away from the raise leg.
Glue arms on... if the right leg is raised... have the right arm pushing forwards. Or vis-versa.
Take less than five minuets to do each boy.

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 07:50:16 AM »
i didnt realise it took so little time to do each boy.  the spacers youve used are they available widely... i mean im still having enough problems trying to find platicard as it is

Offline Kr00zA

• Ded 'Ard Konverta
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 10:29:57 AM »
That all depends where u live

Offline MASTER_BRONIUS

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 11:02:12 AM »
Valar we would all like to see wat they look like so could you please post some pics even if they only of one model. ;)

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 11:05:25 AM »
id love to show you guys some pics of the guys and dread i got finished coz id love some critique etc but ive tried putting some on the site before using image hosting that hasnt worked... if you can tell me how to do so i will glady show u guys