News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 348097 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1720 on: February 26, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
Love the bat-rep Cav!
Mission definitely did not suit the Imperial Guard at all but if anything that just made it more narrative. I can definitely see the Eldar ambushing an Imperial armoured column in exactly that way!
Really happy that your Crimson Hunters did the work for you, they aren't just beautiful models!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1721 on: February 27, 2018, 04:37:51 PM »
Damn. A man goes on holiday for a week, come back and Cav's painted a Crimson Hunter, World Eaters and those vaguely Tzeentchian Sigmarine cavalry, has two awesome batreps (congrats to your bro for the win and you for the comeback), and has been playtesting the new DEldar codex for GW!

Really nice to hear how enthusiastic the GW team are especially :)

Great stuff Cav!
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #1722 on: February 27, 2018, 06:37:38 PM »
Congrats on the win Cav!  I loved the whole set up of the battlefield and the two painted armies as well!  :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1723 on: February 28, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »
@Auric's Pride- Hey AP. Thanks a million my man. Really glad you enjoyed the bat-rep. It was a fun game and a bit crazy. I was super glad the Hunters did well too... Oh man what a difference they made... I busted my but to get them in... and when I started rolling dice I could feel the POWER! lol  ;D ;D ;D Anyway man thanks as always can't wait to see more DE!

@Ynneadwraith- Hey bud so glad to see you back. It feels like its been forever. I know my hobby blitz never ends! Anyway thanks so much man.

@Tangi- Thanks so much Tang. Really appreciate your feedback on the paint jobs... though you are quickly catching up with me in the gold painting skills my friend! Keep it up its inspiring!

Hey guys quick update. Just wanted to share a quick little project I finished up a few days ago. It has a tie in with a question I asked Gav Thorpe on our latest podcast, so check that out if you haven't already...

So it had to be done. I absolutely love Prince Y'riel and since he's part of team Y'nnari and a Corsair it was an absolute must that I get him in the collection and army. Especially since I actually love fielding him. I'm dying to get him and the Visarch in a game together. Y'riel with some Wraithblades, the Visarch with some Incubi... it will be glorious!!!

Here is the Download Link:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/3/8/0/380f349a9f43880b/Episode_42_Dark_Eldar_in_Narrative_Campaigns_and_Gav_Thorpe_Ghost_Warrior_Interview.mp3?c_id=19245669&destination_id=227626&expiration=1519858833&hwt=0afd3a215fd3e49ebd18c29bf4304ec5

Also finally finished up all 20 Berserkers. Gotta get to work on some Cultists, my 2nd Predator and a special character I'm waiting to unveil and that army will be finished! Already have some variant lists thought up... but this'll get me on the tabletop.

I've got some other updates tucked away too, but I dont want to spam out. Anyways guys hope you enjoy the update. I was so stoked to share Prince Y'riel with you guys. I cant tell you how happy I am to have him in the army. Just love that dude to death. Alright guys talk soon and stay tuned!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:12:48 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1724 on: February 28, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
G'day, Cavalier!
Nice work on the Prince, mate. Have only ever seen him on the Scorpion channel, so to see him in red makes a striking change. Can tell you've put a little extra love into this guy. My favorite bits are the depth and detailing with the cape, both inside and out.

The blade is the other fave with your detail with the eye coming in at a close third. Really enjoyed the podcast. Learned heaps from the, "Masters of the Forge", guys. Gav Thorpe is always a hoot to listen to. We can tell he enjoys being a guest with you guys as appose to that obligation tone some folk get on other shows.

What an amazing effort with your Chaos crew. Their graduation photo looks epic. Is it at this armies completion that you will start your Youtube channel? Please keep us up to date on that because I know we're all keen for that... Pointy ears forever!!       

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1725 on: February 28, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Wow dude, that Yriel model is sick!
Your colour scheme suits the model so well, I've got to be honest I really prefer your scheme on it to the original!
As you know I love the podcast and this last episode was great, loved hearing from Gav Thorpe and to hear how invested he is into the Eldar fluff.
I need a Chaos Battle Report Cav! This army is looking so good now, I just feel like I need to see it chopping up a load of Imperial Guard!  ;D
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1726 on: February 28, 2018, 10:19:33 PM »
Epic...just simply epic. Yriel looks gorgeous in red. And those world eaters are unfreaking-believable. In long to bring my old berzerkers with Kharn out on the table again after drooling over these paint jobs

Thanks again for turning me on to the splintermind podcasts. They're the reason I was able to slog through all those warriors in such a short time. I think I listened to three straight episodes to plow through my last twenty. Keep up your posts and I can't wait to hear the next podcast!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1727 on: March 1, 2018, 08:09:26 AM »
Hey Cav!

What a wealth of super-awesome stuff here :) Can't possibly comment on it all - but everything, from Eldar to berzerkers to AoS cavalry, is 100% gorgeous. Could you post the list of paints that you used for the demygriffs (if that what theyre called:))? That shade of blue looks so great. Kharn is just brilliant. Also loved the latest batrep - a decisive victory in true Eldar style!

Also, it's so damn exciting to hear that you've been playtesting! If you don't mind me asking, am I correct to understand that you actually have been given the rules while they were still WIP, and the final version was actually altered based on your feedback? If yes, how long did the process last and how many test games you played?
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1728 on: March 1, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »
Beautiful Y'riel! Wow, I think he's by far the best of those 3 characters. That'd not to say the others are bad, far from it, just that I love this guy more than either of the originals. I just think that the paint scheme works so well. The palette is tremendous for the figure; and of course, the painting is top shelf.

I will say though...damn the Visarch must have been on the Steroids...he's huge in comparison to Y'riel!!!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1729 on: March 2, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks as always my friend. All I was thinking about is SS82’s Y’riel while I was painting… I just had to do something comparable to his excellent paint job. So yeah I really went all out on him. Even stripped his banner and spear and repainted them at one point just to get the best paint job I could. So thanks for noticing the extra effort bud.

Also thanks about Gav yeah it really is exciting talking to him. We talked quite a bit after recording as well. He’s a really friendly guy and I think the whole group of us have a pretty good chemistry so thanks for that.

Thanks about the World Eaters too… as for the Youtube Channel I’m DYING to get it started. A lot of people have been asking about it and its just really hard because the money is so tight right now. I’m actually in the process of moving so after that is said and done I’m gonna look at my money and try and get that camera. I’m gonna have a dedicated studio for all things 40k where I can paint, livestream, hobby hangout, podcast and film bat-reps. So while I’m missing the vital component (that being the camera) when I do get it, everything is gonna be good to go 100%. With Eldar, Dark Elder, Imperial Guard, Dark Angels, World Eaters and even a sub-army of Chaos Space Marines which I featured a long time ago on the blog… I will get there… I’m anticipating by late summer early fall if all goes well and things are going really good right now…. But trust me I’m dying to make it happen!!! Oh the agony…. So anyway thanks for your support Dan it really means a lot. Cheers Pointy Ears!

@Auric’s Pride- Thanks so much AP. As you know I love Y’riel and I had to him justice… I was really agonizing over the color choice and I was worried he either gonna read “too red” or “not red enough” with both red armor and a red cloak but I think I achieved a balance. So thanks for that my friend. Glad you liked the podcast too. We are gonna record this Sunday so get ready for the next one! Gonna be way more tabletop oriented this time so I hope you enjoy it.

Also about a Chaos Bat-Rep… it is coming! 3 more games in the current campaign and then Chaos will be Unleashed! Oh man its gonna be nuts. This army is gonna be a tough match-up especially for my brothers army. I’m really looking forward to unleashing this on some of my other opponents as well. Should be insane! Anyway thanks man always look forward to your feedback, thanks!

@Dog of War- Hey DoW thanks so much man, especially about the podcast. Hearing that our episodes helped keep people inspired through those big projects is really the highest compliment… because I know I’m always DYING looking for something to keep me going while doing commission work. So thanks man. Also I really appreciate the compliments on Y’riel and the World Eaters. So glad you like them. Thanks my man.

@Seeking One- Thanks so much SeekingOne. Coming from a hobby champion like yourself it really means a lot. As for the Demigryphs I did a simple Stegadon Scale, Nuln Wash, clean up with Stegadon, 50/50 mix of Stegadon/Sotek Green, then a straight Sotek final highlight. The fur is Celestra Grey with a Coeilia Greenshade wash, then cleaned up with Celestra. Finally the beaks are Ushbati, Agrax wash, Ushbati clean up, then Screaming Skull and Pallid Wych to finish it up.

Also thanks about the play testing man. Its been amazing… I can’t tell you how awesome the GW guys are. Also yep we received the rules WIP, and then the final version was altered after all the play testers gave their feedback. Seeing some of our suggestions implemented was amazing and which ideas they went for were equally awesome. Hopefully we can reveal some of that because there are some funny stories there. But there were a lot of other people involved besides ourselves, but our squad getting a personal thank you from the GW team at LVO during their seminar was pretty amazing.  Sadly I can’t get into the time tables of when we got it and how long play testing went. But I can say it was a long process and we’ve all played dozens of games with the new dex. Its been painful because we had to keep the secret (and still keep the rules to ourselves) from our regular gaming buddies but hopefully the new dex will be released soon. We actually have no idea when the book is coming out, which is tough because we want to do our codex review… and normally we’d do predications/preparation podcasts but since we know whats in there we can’t! 

Anyway hope that sheds some light on the matter. Anyway thanks again SeekingOne I always appreciate your feedback and I hope you are hyped for the new dex!

@Looshkin- lol… thanks Loosh. I know I love Y’riel to death! Before 6th dropped he and a unit of 10 Banshees were gonna be the centerpiece of the army… but then 6th dropped and that idea went out the window. So I’ve been waiting to get this guy on the board for a long time and after talking to Gav I decided my Lethal Weapon-esque buddy-cop adventures with Y’riel and the Visarch had to begin immediately. Also about the sculpt… I agree there is something really special about this model. The banner, the cloak, his eye patch. He’s basically an Eldar version of Captain Harlock if you are familiar with that old school 70’s anime (one of my faves). AKA he’s a total badass. But I gotta say the Visarch is probably my favorite individual Eldar mini. Warp Hunter + Void Raven as far as vehicles go… the Visarch in terms of characters/infantry… with Y’riel probably just behind him and the original RT Farseer in 3rd.

Also yes! The Visarch is MONSTROUS. He is absolutely huge. It makes me think of Maedhros… Eldest Son of Feanor from the Silmarillion who was noted for being unusually tall. Something which I think is really cool. It’d actually be neat if they incorporated that into the lore… the Visarch being this shocking tall, looming figure moving across the battlefield or through the Dark City. I love it!

Anyway thanks as always Loosh. I find your feedback absolutely invaluable so thanks as always my friend.

@Everybody- Well I just finished up Partninja’s commission a few days ago so I’m looking forward to sharing that with you once I get final approval. Also I have ANOTHER Y’nnari Triumvirate… my 6th. Actually pumped for it. I love painting those models and it gets me excited to eventually paint my own Y’ncarne and Y’vraine (in her formal gear and I need space cat… the lion cub of Asuryan!) I’ve got Eldrad and another Illic on the way too. So it’ll be an Eldar themed journey in terms of commissions with World Eaters on the side for my personal endeavors.

Anyway thank you guys so much for your awesome feedback… I’ve got some more cool developments to share with you guys. So stay tuned for that! Anyway guys take care and talk soon.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1730 on: March 2, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
You should get Gav back on once you guys have finished the book and go over that ending...

You should do an Aeldari all stars picture :)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1731 on: March 4, 2018, 06:08:36 PM »
How do you do your skin/flesh?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1732 on: March 5, 2018, 03:18:29 PM »
@Magenb- Hey Mage thanks man. Really glad you dug the interview. Yeah definitely gotta get Gav back on. That may happen if the DE dex doesnt drop soon... So very good suggestion thanks. Also here's that "Rogue's Gallery" for you. Hope you like it!

@Partnina- Hey Ninja it couldn't be easier. Celestra Grey to establish a base to paint over, then Pallid Wych flesh with a light Reikland Wash over it and I may or may not clean it up depending on how the wash looks after drying. I also do Kislev Flesh over the Celestra at times too (like with my Visarch) hit it with Reikland and sometimes do a clean up, sometimes not depending on the look. Sometimes its not worth messing with.

Anyway thanks again for your commission bud. Very glad to feature it on the project log. I'm shipping it to you tomorrow! Thanks again!

@Everybody- Hey guys so I've got some really awesome projects I'm working on at the moment. First off its PartNinja's Avatar commission!

Got some awesome new terrain I'm really looking forward to sharing with you... some home made stuff but also some real special stuff unique for our campaign too. Anyways hope you guys like the update. Stay tuned and talk soon!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1733 on: March 5, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »
Awesome group shot :)

Alot of nice touches on that Forgeworld Avatar, the flaming hair is great, its a nice move away from the green hair :) Really digging the flames on the cloth too, but that marble effect is just outstanding.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1734 on: March 5, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »
The dark red and fiery orange contrasts on the Avatar are outstanding.  The level of detail on the sword and the intricacy of the paint work all round are both extremely impressive.

I'm looking forward to seeing the terrain :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1735 on: March 5, 2018, 06:46:28 PM »
The molten body effect is superb Cav and I'm absolutely loving the transition from black to flame. The whole composition looks so menacing and...hot, it really is a striking piece.

I like the flaming hair, while the loin cloth (and especially the flames licking at the hem of the cloth) is done very well indeed.

I'm not a big fan of the marble head piece...but I appreciate you needed something cool up there to balance the model. I also think that you've been constrained by the limitations of the commission a little...the marble transitions are a little to abrupt for my liking; but none of that is to question your skill with this piece.

All in all, it's a terrific composition and I think that Partninja will be absolutely stoked to receive it. Well done bud.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1736 on: March 5, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
The veins in the "marbling" look much closer to black in person which will make it less abrupt and flow better. Weird trick of the light with photography when you have darks and lights next to each other with camera lighting hitting it. Similar to the effect of the famous blue dress argument a while back.

Cav nailed the paint job I wanted. Wanted a more blackened crisp and fire look to him over the normal GW style. The light parts give a hint of white ash look to it so I really like that on the horns and fabric.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1737 on: March 6, 2018, 03:20:22 AM »
The veins in the "marbling" look much closer to black in person which will make it less abrupt and flow better. Weird trick of the light with photography when you have darks and lights next to each other with camera lighting hitting it. Similar to the effect of the famous blue dress argument a while back.

Cav nailed the paint job I wanted. Wanted a more blackened crisp and fire look to him over the normal GW style. The light parts give a hint of white ash look to it so I really like that on the horns and fabric.

Figured that may be the case. Getting good photos of minis is one of the hardest dang things...they always wash something out or provide way more contrast somewhere else.

I'm glad you like it Part; as I said, I think the Aesthetic of the piece is superb and the black and molten parts are absolutely sublime. It'll look absolutely amazing striding at the front of your army!

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1738 on: March 6, 2018, 03:58:59 AM »
Excellent work on the Avatar Cav! You 100% nailed the "molten body" effect, and the marble "horns" provide a great counterpoint to the rest of the model. Awesome!
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1739 on: March 6, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
Great work Cav. I for one am a big fan of the marble headpiece. The only thing I may have added is some traces of colour in the marble, as you see in actual marble, maybe a little green or red streaks with a wash, just to add a little more realism. Not a criticism, just an observation for your next attempt, if you wanted to punch it up a step.

You absolutely nailed the molten body and the flames on the tabbard are excellent.

I can't wait to see him in a battle report PartNinja.