News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Looted Wagon  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
  • Armies: Alaitoc Eldar, Orks
Looted Wagon
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
So I have decided that the future of my Orks includes one of these monstrosities.  I intend to load it out with a boom gun, and use it to provide overhead cover fire for my horde.  The big question is this..... what should I use to build it?  I want to use a GW kit, so it looks like a for real looted wagon and not some random BS made out of a 3 dollar Revell kit and piece of radiator hose.  I am torn between these kits:

Tau Hammerhead Gunship

Eldar Fire Prism

IG Leman Russ

IG Basilisk

CSM Vindicator

CSM Predator

Let me know what you guys think.
Besides, the FW DCCW is too damn awesome not to put it on a ven dread... Holy Moly! You know something? that's not even a proper DA ven dread; its a generic ven dread with a RW icon plastered on one side after half the icon's wing has been cut away, pathetic! :P

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Looted Wagon
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
I've built three Looted Wagons, all from GW kits. The three vehicles I used were a Vindicator, a Leman Russ and a Chimera with a scratch-built turret. Of the three, I think I most enjoyed building from the Vindicator. It's not as busy a kit as the Leman Russ or Chimera, there aren't rivets and surface detail everywhere, so you can really go to town on it. The Basilisk is pretty time-tested, as far as Looted Wagons go, so that's probably a solid choice as well.

I've seen a few non-Imperial vehicles turned into Looted Wagons, but I've never been impressed by any, to be honest. I think Imperial tanks fit much closer to the Ork aesthetic, being blocky bastards covered in armour.

If you want to take a look at my Looted Vindicator, it's over here.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 07:54:17 PM by Khemri. »

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:05:50 PM »
Wow, I was on the fence about the Vindie, but that is awesomeness incarnate.  All I need to do is get one and Orkify the hell out of it.  Thanks for the idea Khemri.
Besides, the FW DCCW is too damn awesome not to put it on a ven dread... Holy Moly! You know something? that's not even a proper DA ven dread; its a generic ven dread with a RW icon plastered on one side after half the icon's wing has been cut away, pathetic! :P

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »
I want to use a GW kit, so it looks like a for real looted wagon and not some random BS made out of a 3 dollar Revell kit and piece of radiator hose.

Well they wouldn't let you plop that kind of Looted Wagon on the table in a GW store or Tourney (and even some non GW stores disallow this).

If you are already decided on the Vindi just make sure you get the Chaos one.  er... I see you stated that.

In anycase for your Loot wagons to look really dynamite I would suggest a number of things to really sell the model.  One is the always lucky blue paint denoting that its a propa Loot, another would be a number of bulletholes which can easily be drilled, and of course plop on some plasticcard armor plates to really sell that a Mek as fixed it up.

I've seen a few non-Imperial vehicles turned into Looted Wagons, but I've never been impressed by any, to be honest.
Well Khemri I think thats just sad.  One of the coolest conversions I've seen happened to be a Falcon into a Deffrolla Battlewagon.  And Orks can really loot anything, only reason why there aren't many looted Monoliths is cause they don't end up looking too great.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Spacefrisian

• This is no Zaku
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 04:05:45 AM »
I myself was thinking about making one of a Predator, adding Big shootas on the sponses. Might not be the most original i know.
Prey i don't take you alive

Offline Guardsmen's Bane

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 04:23:55 AM »
Eldar Fire Prism
Interesting idea there. Orks would be like hanging onto the sides and stuff.

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 04:24:31 AM »
Well so far I've looted a Devilfish, a Wave Serpent, a Leman Russ with Basilisk turret and most recently a Monolith into a Stompa
I can upload pictures later if you like

If you have enough Orky gubbins anything can looks sufficiently cool, and I cannot advocate enough how useful the "Orky Fixins" upgrade pack from GW was to the Stompa...

As OD said, armour plates and battle damage are the way forward, as well as adding pretty much anything you can, my Wave Serpent has storm bolters and the 'lith/stompa is rocking a Rail Gun :)

Go nuts, have fun with it and remember.. less is definitely more, you need a balance cos a model which is too busy can ruin a perfectly good conversion
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline West996

• Common sense is a myth.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:34:22 AM »
I had thought of doing a fire prism before. You could do things like have one of the sides anti grav damaged so you have grots holding it up. Glue it to the flying base on an angle, have a grot some where wearing an eldar helmet. From a game play point of view mounting that boom gun where the prism turret is gives it a pretty decent line of sight.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »
I use a basilisk and just hacked it up a bit and then added plasti card as random armour plating to it. (one of these days I'll actually get it painted)

Orks can really loot anything, only reason why there aren't many looted Monoliths is cause they don't end up looking too great.
There is a guy at my LGS who has an interesting army of necron orks. Some of them look pretty cool and others look pretty crap to be honest. But he has a looted wagon/battlewagon made out of a monolith which is chained to the top of 2 land raiders. It looks ok but with some plasti card and some big green stuffed welding lines it could look really cool. That being said it is freaking massive so anything on the table can draw LOS to it really easily

Offline Farseer Arendil

• Ork Boy
  • For the Craftworld
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
Wow those are some outstanding ideas.... I do have a sky ray from my tau army I'm not using anymore..........  Hmm, I'll just have to get a track set and some plasticard to make it look like a mek couldn't figure out the hover drive system.....

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 03:51:46 AM »
I have looked at doing several different loota wagons...   but my fav of all time would be

This base...

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Orks/ORK-BIG-TRAKK.html

with this gun

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Orks/ORK-KIL-KANNON.html

I really love the ork forge world stuff.    very orky and very nice.   You could always just get like the killa kannon gun and put it on an ork trukk.    would look like a cool wagon.