News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: religon  (Read 25708 times)

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
Re:religon
« Reply #300 on: April 14, 2002, 11:13:22 PM »
question:  which school of Buddhism do you various Buddhists follow?  my course is mostly focused on the various philosophical systems (big surprise!), so I'm curious what schools are still practiced today.  Most of the stuff we've been studying is pretty old.
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.

Offline Wraithboss

• Most Potent of Geezers
  • Back from the dead, and ready to Party!
« Reply #301 on: April 15, 2002, 10:54:00 AM »
This is ridiculous. Especially you Boss, with all your "warm down there" comments. How many people believe that you're in for eternal damnation? A lot, I'll say. In fact, between the more conservative forms of Christianity and Islam, EVERYONE has been slated for eternal damnation! So in the end, we're all equal.

I'm afraid I don't get your point, but I'm crystal-clear on your tone.
You are free to believe *whatever* you want to believe, and I am in no way trying to push my views on anyone else...
But, out of nothing but my good-natured friendliness, I'd just like  to advise you to leave your sweater at home, and pack plenty of Ice-water.  <guffaws>

`B 8)SS!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 10:55:18 AM by Wraithboss »
" Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."
                                    T. Roosevelt

Offline miclantecuthli

• The Unpronouncable Man
  • Ancient
  • Forever in debt to your priceless advice
  • Armies: Empire (AoS), Chaos (AoS)
« Reply #302 on: April 16, 2002, 09:02:54 AM »
I am religious but I do NOT believe that those who don't believe will go straight to hell or get another punishement. There are several stories in the bible where Jesus defends those that not believe in "the same God". Altough I think it matters, it will not be the only thing taken into account when you die, I really believe that those who were helpfull and loving, but didn't believe will be rewarded.
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear And I'm floating around my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Offline JiMInY

• What big teeth I have
« Reply #303 on: April 16, 2002, 01:10:55 PM »
Well, i'm more of a spiritualist person myself, but beleive in the philophy of buddhism. Are weejy (soz bout' spellin) board considered evil?
consume the magical plant

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

« Reply #304 on: April 16, 2002, 01:42:07 PM »
which philosophy of Buddhism?  Zen? Abhidharma? Madhyamaka? (sp?) Other?
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

Offline pathfinder

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • army funded with lotto winnings since 1996
« Reply #305 on: April 16, 2002, 05:18:44 PM »
this thing has gotton huge

Offline miclantecuthli

• The Unpronouncable Man
  • Ancient
  • Forever in debt to your priceless advice
  • Armies: Empire (AoS), Chaos (AoS)
« Reply #306 on: April 16, 2002, 06:19:13 PM »
I know almost nothing about Buddhism, can someone please give me a good site where I can find a lot of (neutral) information?
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear And I'm floating around my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #307 on: April 16, 2002, 09:28:24 PM »
interestin thought
buddhism isnt a religion, its a teaching!buddhism

\Bud"dhism\, n. The religion based upon the doctrine originally taught by the Hindoo sage Gautama Siddartha, surnamed Buddha, ``the awakened or enlightened,'' in the sixth century b. c., and adopted as a religion by the greater part of the inhabitants of Central and Eastern Asia and the Indian Islands. Buddha's teaching is believed to have been atheistic; yet it was characterized by elevated humanity and morality. It presents release from existence (a beatific enfranchisement, Nirv[^a]na) as the greatest good. Buddhists believe in transmigration of souls through all phases and forms of life. Their number was estimated in 1881 at 470,000,000.

www.dictionary.com
the greatest website on earth

http://www.ciolek.com/WWWVL-Buddhism.html
that provides info on different schools

www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

« Reply #308 on: April 16, 2002, 09:36:08 PM »
I did a very little searching, miclantecuthli.

The following looks promising.
http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/buddhaintro.html

avoid:
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/5215/Dharma.html

it is misleading, i think.

Offline Wraithdragon

• Man, I am one stoner of a dragon. *Loud cough*
« Reply #309 on: May 1, 2002, 06:17:50 PM »
Oh I thought you people knew:

According to Spouth Park, everyone but the Mormons are going to hell.

See everyone in hell  :)

Oh yeah (Episcopalian)
"D@mn those Eldar.  The Emperor will condemn them to hell this day."   Last words of Chaplain Draconius of the Crimsom Fists.  Died by beheading from a Howling Banshee's power sword.

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #310 on: May 1, 2002, 08:26:21 PM »
according to Roland Atconson (spelling, more commonly known as Mr Bean) all christians are going to hell. sorry but the Jews were right. so are all the french and germans. Satans name is Toby, they like to keep things informal down there.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #311 on: May 1, 2002, 08:35:20 PM »
Don't forget that in hell there are no toilets, as it's torment for eternity without relief.

Damn fine skit that one. Still got a copy on tape somewhere.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #312 on: May 3, 2002, 08:25:37 AM »
yeah that one is sooo cool. i like 'fatal beatings' too. but the hell one is the best!
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline ::StrifE::

« Reply #313 on: May 4, 2002, 02:24:15 AM »
http://pub69.ezboard.com/fbrewmastersworldofwhateverfrm7.showMessage?topicID=16.topic

go to that link, 1 man (christian) debates like 4 people and wins. Almost all creation scientists BELIEVE in MICROevolution (different types of dogs mate to make other types of dogs blah blah...). Radio carbon dating is BUNK, its an absolutely horrible dating system. I dont want to type all the stuff out but the link should reveal it all to you. however, i could explain why a popular dating system (forgot the name) is wrong because:

scientists get the dates on focils, from the earth's layers, now where do scientists get the date for the layers, from the fossils. Its circualr reasoning, IT DOESNT MAKE ANY SENCE!
war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

« Reply #314 on: May 4, 2002, 02:00:06 PM »

Buddhists believe in transmigration of souls through all phases and forms of life.

actually, Buddhist do NOT believe in transmigration of souls.  Perhaps the most fundamental teaching of Buddhism is that there is NO Self.  They do believe in rebirth, but without transmigration.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #315 on: May 5, 2002, 03:10:58 PM »
not really following what u mean
but to me heres how it goes
your a hand
theres a buncha gloves
different gloves, same hand
ta' da!
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

« Reply #316 on: May 5, 2002, 05:39:02 PM »
Well, I haven't interviewed any lay-Buddhists about what they personally hold to be true.  I'm talking about the actual Buddhist philosophy, which I have been studying under a very knowledgeable, respected professor (the texts we used were copies he had translated into english from the sanskrit himself, etc).  (the following is not directed at you, Pikachu.  I don't know what you believe) There are many professed Christians who maintain heretical views, fully contrary to the teachings of the faith.  I'm sure the same is true of all belief systems, including Buddhism.  There is also non-heretical disagreement among different sects.  But there are fundamental beliefs that all hold to, which unite them in their common faith.  One of these in Buddhism is the doctrine of Non-Self.  That is, there is no part of 'me' that is 'me.'  

I can say more, if you like.  Indeed, I'd love to discuss Buddhism with you.  I'm curious what the Buddhists on this board believe.  

is what you were saying that we are all the one hand, just wearing different gloves, as it were?  interesting.  That sounds to me (if I understood you correctly) less a Buddhist belief and more one from one of the other Indian schools (I think advaita vedanta) which teaches there is only really the one thing, the Unmanifest, from which we are all 'evolved' (nothing to do with darwinian evolution) as manifestations of.  

Side note, this is similar to the system suggested by Baruch Spinoza, a Western Philosopher, who thought there was only the one real substance, God, and we were all simply modes of God.