News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: If you suddenly found yourself in the 40K universe..  (Read 10692 times)

Offline clarkey

Re: If you suddenly found yourself in the 40K universe..
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 04:44:17 PM »
id join the nearest IG regiment, excel my self in the training, quickly rise to the ranks of Sergeant, and lead the squad to victory time and time again!! :)

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 04:59:36 PM »
Seriously, with the exception of some of the outlying worlds and agri-worlds, the Imperium seems to be a pretty beslubbered up place.

A view which is held up by the doom and gloom of the main rulebook, but falls down once you take a wider view. Judging by most Black Library novels, the majority of Imperial worlds aren't too dissimilar to our own. Of course there are nuances of culture, technology could be higher to lower to a degree, and some of them appear to suffer from rampant overpopulation, but they don't seem entirely unpleasant, for all that.

The problem being, of course, that 'In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future Most of Us are Pretty Much Okay' doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Offline 42

• Cry havoc and let lose the dogs of war
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 05:08:37 PM »
Pray I end up on a schola world and train to become a commisar or work for the munitorium as a researcher or archivist.
How the Chimney-sweepers cry 
       Every blackning Church appalls,
       And the hapless Soldiers sigh
        Runs in blood down Palace walls

Offline Xeal

• Nothing says free time, like modifying an avatar.
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 05:14:06 PM »
Yeah maybe I was over eager with the inquistion, prehaps I should join the Adeptus Mechanicus

I will implment a whole new GUI system, the likes of which has never been seen before, it shall be called Windows.  After its implementation and success on a small scale, my true value will be seen, after a few short years I will be made Fabricator General of Mars.

I shall keep all knowldge of how the system works my personal secret and send legions of Skitarii, to kill anyone who uses a pirate version of it.  For many years I will live in lap of luxary (as much as any cyborb more machine than man can).  While all ships and defenses will be upgraded to using windows.

Unfortantly around about half a centuury later, after my almost brilliant creation, the 14th black crusade pours forth from the cadian gate, and those little errors that creep up from time to time all add up, when a large number of our most neccersery vessels suddnly hit the blue screen of death, preventing them from not only firing, but also losing all their shields.

Afterwards, I lock my self in the deepest chamber on Mar's praying that Abaddon gets his ass there soon, before everyone outside kills me.

Thus I see three outcomes.

1) Abaddon turns up, thanks me for single handly bringing down the imperium, I swear loyalty to the Chaos GOds and get elevated to Daemonhood, spend the rest of eternity enjoying the luxaries slannesh has to offer.

2)  Abaddon turns up, is annoyed I depreived him of his greatest victory, and kills me (slowly)

3)  Abaddon is delyaed, they gain acess to my most fortfied chamber, Im excuted as a heretic.

1 in 3 chance, better odds than the lottery!

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 07:37:55 PM »
Me? I'd build myself a house just outside of an agri-village/town, join the local PDF, and spend my time as a farmer, enjoying the little pleasures in life, start a family, you know those old movies where theres a real sense of spirit, community and adventure? Like that, and thats honestly what I'd do, Until another fluff-less, pointlessly overpowered race comes from nowhere and completley devestates my 'home'-world and my regiment is completley destroyed apart from a few units, which amazingly become the Imperial Guards most famous and best trained xeno-hunting unit in the history of forever, had a campaign based around us, then slowly phased out.

Failing that, Steal me a battleship, stock up with food, fly to the tau empire, pick me up one of their hyper-drive rip-offs (they don't use the warp right?) fit it, and fudge off to the next galaxy, then come back with legions of genetically enhanced super-humans, destroy everything, and re populate the galaxy in my own vision, before, surprisingly, my neglected sons turn on me and try to kill me, crippiling me in body and then I'll sit on an over sized toilet for the next 10,000 years, which strangley jumps from end to beginning to end to middle to beginning to 3 quaters of the way along and then back again

Jeez I've just noticed how much GW fluff sucks :-[
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Russ, Gue'Vesa from the Tiny Red Dot

• The luckiest tau alive
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
1st choice- be a vindicare assassin and shoot others from afar

2nd choice- learn drama and be good in it. everytime there is a war, can play dead and hope not to die.
What is strategy without a little luck? What is firepower without a little luck. Some may say it is a miracle, but I say, with a little luck, many things will go your way

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »
(they don't use the warp right?)

They use the Warp.  Rather then diving down into it like a sub (Imperial), they skip across it like tossed stones.

As for the Topic.  What I would like to be assuming I could get it and had the talents to do so?  An Inquisitor of the Ordo Xenos (Thorian with strong Amathian undercurrents) or an Imperial Guard Commander who actually cares about his men, and tries to use strategy instead of bodies to win.

What I would really most likely do?  Spend a few days dazed, then, depending on where I landed (assuming its not a Hive Undercity, Deathworld, ect), I would try to get a job as a History teacher, since thats going to be my career IRL.  In other words, get a job that matches my talents.
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 10:48:09 PM »

Just give them vista and watch their heads explode.

(lol)... that's gold!

I wonder what Windows 40,000 will look like... Isn't Bill Gates a Primarch?  :D

Offline Slasher Killkraze

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 10:54:13 PM »
Find myself some terminator armor as quickly as possible... ;D
Stop comparing yourself to Donnie Darko!!!!

Offline Chosen40k

• Owned
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
Invent a device that controls the fate of every battle hardened warrior in the vast galaxy of war.

Dice.

Also, I would buy every single book published by the Black Library and give it to Ahriman, hoping it would make him happy.

Then I would ask if they finally included the Nids in Dawn of War.
On the topic of 40k vs. any other SciFi universe:

Quote from: Albatross_4Sale
the moral of the story, don't beslubber with warhammer 40k its just too overpowered and it is no fun to fight with.
Dawn of War II Unit Voices
Dawn of War II Community

Offline Max the Dog

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2008, 11:05:48 PM »
I'd probably curl up in a ball and cry like a little girl when the hive fleet shows up.
The only thing better than outnumbering your opponent 2 to 1 is outnumbering them 3 to 1.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »
I would become a missionary on a agri-world
teach those farm girls to love the God-emperor through me :p

otherwise i probably end up as a cult follower of slaneesh
(those gwar lyrics will come in handy  ;D)

and then
ogly the chaos spawn  :D
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
Pray I end up on a schola world and train to become a commisar or work for the munitorium as a researcher or archivist.

Hey, that's what Commisar Cain wanted, and look what it got him! I tried to stat him once and had to use two sets of stats depending on whether he was attached to a squad or not: Ld7 if not in a squad (or if it was just him and Jergen), Ld10 if he was, asarmed with a Laspisotl and Mastercrafted Chainsword which is also a Personal whatchamacallit. After all, he's a Hero of the Imperium with a reputation to uphold!

And all he wanted was to serve his term in some artillery company as unremarkably as possible...
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Fugitive

• Major, Best Painted Sentinel
  • Tuseday is soylent green day.
    • my portfolio
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 01:37:46 AM »
Me? I'd build myself a house just outside of an agri-village/town, join the local PDF, and spend my time as a farmer, enjoying the little pleasures in life, start a family, you know those old movies where theres a real sense of spirit, community and adventure? Like that, and thats honestly what I'd do, Until another fluff-less, pointlessly overpowered race comes from nowhere and completley devestates my 'home'-world and my regiment is completley destroyed apart from a few units, which amazingly become the Imperial Guards most famous and best trained xeno-hunting unit in the history of forever, had a campaign based around us, then slowly phased out.

Lol! :D

Yeah maybe I was over eager with the inquistion, prehaps I should join the Adeptus Mechanicus

Me too! If Im lucky the will make me into a servitor. Finnaly a totaly carefree life.

I survived the "CoC Crackdown".

Offline Fury

• Glory to the Dark Gods
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2008, 02:00:13 AM »
I'd want to be a rouge trader.

Yeah, you'd have to fly under the radar and fend for yourself, but ain't nobody tellin me what to do, in this millenium or that.

Think about it. No one would ever force you to fight for anything, you could simply get the hell out of there is something goes wrong, and as long as you don't cross the wrong folks (Chaos cults, Dark Eldar raiders, the Inquisition) you'd be fairly wealthy and well off.

Mercenary smuggler all the way.
Ruinous Powers - My Chaos Space Marines Blog
http://ruinouspowers.blogspot.com

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2008, 02:35:18 AM »
I thought Rogue Traders were Imperial sanctioned explorers and spreaders of His word to forgotten worlds...

Eh, that's probably up there with Inquisitors being incorruptable paragons of His virtue.
True... Enough.  ;)
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2008, 02:37:45 AM »
I'd want to be a rouge trader.

Yeah, you'd have to fly under the radar and fend for yourself, but ain't nobody tellin me what to do, in this millenium or that.

Think about it. No one would ever force you to fight for anything, you could simply get the hell out of there is something goes wrong, and as long as you don't cross the wrong folks (Chaos cults, Dark Eldar raiders, the Inquisition) you'd be fairly wealthy and well off.

Mercenary smuggler all the way.

And how do you plan on getting hold of the bonds, or the noble bloodline, that you require to own a spacecraft? For that matter, how do you plan to pay for your ship? Not to mention the crew, and the goods you plan on selling.

The OP asked what would you do if you 'suddenly found yourself in the 40 universe', not 'what would you like to be in the 40k universe?'

I thought Rogue Traders were Imperial sanctioned explorers and spreaders of His word to forgotten worlds...

Eh, that's probably up there with Inquisitors being incorruptable paragons of His virtue.

Your thinking of the Explorators, I believe. The Rogue Traders are essentially a cross between pirates and merchants.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 02:40:25 AM by Khemri, the Laughing Man »

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46:37 AM »
It's a bit of an ambigeous title.  Rogue Traders tend to be a varied bunch.  Everything from pirates and scrap merchants to trade princes and diplomats.

Personally I think I'd just commit suicide.  The 40k Universe isn't somewhere I'd want to live, to be honest.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Heretek

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2008, 02:53:58 AM »
It's a bit of an ambigeous title.  Rogue Traders tend to be a varied bunch.  Everything from pirates and scrap merchants to trade princes and diplomats.

Fair point, perhaps my description was a little simplistic. I think I've seen them described somewhere as the 'true nobility of the Imperium', although I forget where.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 02:56:55 AM »
I seem to remember a similar comment.  Perhaps it's from Ravenor, since it focuses on Rogue Traders a fair amount?

It does make me wonder who gives out the licenses though, or if it's more of an honoury title for a successful trader.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear