News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Project Estalia  (Read 3704 times)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
Project Estalia
« on: January 21, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »
Prelude: If there's a land that interests me in Fantasy that hasn't been given proper dues, I would say it's Estalia. The battleground of the Araby invasions and sight of several Empire crusades, it seems a bit frustrating that we're at best proxying them with Dogs of War. Thus I am interested in the creation of an army-list for them.

Army Style: Estalia is a land of contrasts, between Araby opulence and Estalian ruthlessness. Compared with Bretonnian or Imperial knights, Estalian Lanceros are much lighter equipped, yet even they are considered heavy relative to the lighter cavalry they wield. If there is any signiature unit of Estalia, it would have to be the Jinete: a light, armored horseman armed with javelins, capable of harassing melee troops or attacking ranged ones.

Estalian infantry is similarly unlike those of its northern neighbors. While less armored or heavily equipped, their troops are much faster and trained for fast combat and relocation. If there is any signiature infantry of the time, it would be the Almogavar, a lightly armored spearman trained to fight in a style akin to the Reman Legionaires. Skirmishing javelinmen and heavy axemen round off the list.

They may be lead by many commanders, from Estalian Diestros to Araby sorcerers, to Warrior-Priests of Mannan.

Now to put some numbers and stats behind the concept. HIYA!

EDIT: Here we go:

Lord Characters:
Estalian General

Araby Sorcerer Lord

High Priest of Myrmida

Hero Characters

Araby Sorcerer

Warrior-Priest of Myrmida

Estalian Capitan

Core Units:

Rodleros: 7 pts/model.
WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 4, Ld 7, A 1.
Equipment: Light armor, Shield.
Options: One may upgrade to a duellist for () pts a model. One may be a musician for () pts a model. They may carry a standard for () pts a model.
Special Rules: Warband. Rodleros are trained to fight in dispersed formation, ranking up in close combat. To represent this, they fight using the Raiders rules from the Beastman book; this means they move like Skirmishers yet as long as they're not flanked they can acquire a rank bonus of up to +2.

Estalian Crossbowmen
-See Empire crossbowmen.

Jinetes
Iconic light cavalry, the Jinetes are medium cavalry noted for their skill with the javelin. Riding out before the main Estalian armies, they pelt their foes with javelins before moving in to perform the killing blow.

WS 4, BS 3, S 3, T 3, W 1, I 3, Ld 8, A 1
Equipment: Javelin, Light Armor, Spear, Shield

Special Units

Almoghavares

Lanceros
Formed either from nobility or merchant families who can afford a warhorse, the Estalian Lanceros are devestating cavalry capable of crushing foes on the charge!

Rare

Small Cannon
« Last Edit: May 5, 2009, 07:10:06 PM by MagicJuggler »

Offline MagicJuggler

Re: Project Estalia
« Reply #1 on: May 5, 2009, 07:11:50 PM »
Separate section: Magic items and special equipment.

Weapons:

Myrmida's Trident

(fill in here)

Armor:

Morion of the Sun

Talismans:

Fill in later.

Enchanted Items:

Monkey's Paw

Lores of Magic:

Arabyan Sorcery:

Prayers of Myrmida; these count as Bound Spells of power 4.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:07:51 AM »
The army should be able to have pikemen and/or halberdiers, and/or possible handgunners if you look at medieval spain.

Nice touch with the cavalry-javelineers, very hispanic.

Perhaps mariners would be a distinct unit, for flavour's sake?

Offline MagicJuggler

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:04 PM »
There's another variant I've considered for the Core choices which is the Estalian Tercio. Basically, you would buy a pikeman unit, and would HAVE to buy crossbow and rodlero detachments for it. There would be modifications to it to compensate for the restrictiveness (for instance, an improved range from the pikeman unit, etc). But that could be too restrictive, and easily imitated through use of Empire troops.

The Almogavhares are supposed to be another variant of the Warband unit, being equipped with shield, spear, and heavy javelins (basically armor-piercing javelins).

Alternatively, since they worship Myrmida, I am also interested in having more "classically" themed troops, such as Scutarii and Slingers (as I always found it odd Skaven were the only race to use them), etc.