News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Roleplay Review  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
Roleplay Review
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:33:50 AM »
Alright Boys and Girls.

Let me hear your thoughts. What did we do well and what should we do better next time. I'll contribute myself a bit later, but I thought I'd see your thoughts first.

Cheers
Spite.
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline Mr.Tanks

• Grot
  • Lord Despot of Dakka.
  • Armies: The Brave & Noble Albion 212th Imperial Guard
Re: Roleplay Review
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »
Bravo my man, Brilliant idea!

Now theres something those over at the SMurf board haven't done!
Shame I missed the last post, but I lived, to go back to my lil' planet in a forgotten corner of the galaxy, plauged by nightmares of the incident, all alone with no one to talk to that understands, working day and night for a measly living*pulls pistol out* "I miss Lockz" *BANG!* lol.

Nice idea though, maybe next time...erm...dunno, If I can think of any nifty ideas I'll PM them to you(I write short stories for a 'living', lol)
What I cannot crush with words, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 07:58:58 AM »
I rather enjoyed at the start, but lost interest as it moved on.

I'm not sure if that's a comment on myself or the game, but it just ceased to grab me after a while.

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 08:15:10 AM »
Same hear, The start and finish were great, but the mid section did not do it for me. It may have been because we lost some officers.... and therefor had no direction.

Overall it was a nice and light hearted story that panned out quite nicely.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline Lockz

• Captain | Acting S4 - 40th Corps
  • 31st Mordian Iron Guard
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2007, 08:34:36 AM »
It was a fun story, but it did lose out in the middle a bit.  I think my group fell behind for a few pages; I believe I was waiting for Ailaros to respond or possibly for someone to give us a direction to go to in the story.  It was a good chance to get to know some of our fellow members here, and cheer them on!

Good work Spiteful, thank you!
Better crippled in body than corrupt in mind

Offline Talon Undecided

• Full Bird Colonel; Old School Necron Hunter Adept; Best Painted Rough Riders
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • kweh!
  • Armies: Astra Militarum, Evil Blood Ravens, AdMech
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 09:39:18 AM »
It was great! Although several things need to be iron out:

- The issue of player controlling, seems a bit apparent here. The least I did for player confrontations was that I slashed across the chest, giving him a decent chance to heal himself. The reply was a demo charge down the gullet (which didn't really happen, since I leapt down below already).

- Each player should give a report to what he or she did, so at least while they're being awfully literary, the other not so intelligent people like me can understand what's going on. I'm looking at you No Love Lost.  :P

- A map! A map! Someone draw up the map of the Dodecahedron already! I got confused where everyone was running off to.

But hey, it's been a while since the IG boards had such an RP. Really nice one there. The context and background was there, really loved the part where the RPers turned on each other aka the mutations.

edit: yay! I'm the last of the Genestealers to die!
edit2: gee, I forgot that Nosferatu was one of us. At least his faith in the Emperor guided him to do otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:46:01 AM by Talon Raven »
Imperial Guard Poster of the year '09!
Good golly that was ages ago.

Astra what now?

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:00:55 AM »
I felt my group was rather disconnected from the main plot, but that may have been more because of our actions then anything else.

Otherwise, I think we should have took a idea from the last RP that happened and have "rounds".  There is one round, say, every day or two where everyone makes on post, then don't post again untill the rp creator creates a small summary post.  This helps keep everyone at the same pace.

Player vs. Player Rping is tricky, and as you can see I tried to avoid it as much as possible.  If it's going to happen the narrator should make a small note such as *there is no running away from this confrontation* and that it will be decided between a mix cunning planning and actually using the 40k rules to decide combat.  Then, so no one walks away from the rp with a bad taste in their mouth, any "deaths" should really just be "wounded to the point of incapitation."  It may be a tad cliche but I think it's worth it.  It might also be nice if the narrator created some interesting NPC's from the start that we had to deal with.  They would be good tools to control the story with (such as a superior officer NPC.)  Sometimes it just felt things were starting to get out of hand.

I hope we eventually do another one.  As everyone else said, it was a bit iffy in the middle, but the beginning and end were fine.

Edit: Oh wow, my 200th post...yay?(It only took me two years)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 10:08:32 PM by Lt. Striker »

Offline Lieutenant Mack

• Lieutenant
  • For the Emperor!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 10:14:43 AM »
     Direction is needed by whoever starts the RP thread. Each poster should really only be responsible for their own actions, not determining what happens to other posters or what other posters reactions may be. This causes chaos, and this is where many posters lose interest and drop out.
     To rectify some of these problems, the thread master (sorry, thats the best term I could come up with!) should pose scenarios for participants, the participant would respond, and their actions determine what happens next. Some of these actions may influence what happens to another poster, but the exact results would be determined by the master. Each poster can offer suggestions of the outcome in their post through creative writing, but the master than picks the events that transpire.
     I know this means a lot of work for whoever has the gumption to start such a thread, but I think this sort of method would encourage participation, keep the thread interesting as everyone awaits the next course of action, and keep some fluidity to the story. The logistics should be hashed out in this thread, and perhaps with some brainstorming, a fun method to RP could come to fruition.

I know Swyper some time ago started such a RP scenario, and it was very interesting, however, I think he got a little overwhelmed by the number of participants, and the thread died before a conclusion to the story. This is part of the problem with this kind of RP thread, but Im sure we could come up with a plan that works.

Listen up you slack jawed maggots. Until you are lucky enough to die by the Emperors grace, you will do what I say without question, without concern for your own safety, and without hesitation. Do I make myself clear?

Offline Lord Commissar Spiteful

• Commissar
  • Ancient
  • Only Survivor of the Spiteful Incident
  • Armies: Guard
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:39:59 AM »
Thanks for making it a fun RP. I also sort of vanished there in the middle, but I managed to fly to Canberra and organise passports and things, so not much could be helped. I'll quickly fo my quote war and then get to some organisational stuff.

Now theres something those over at the SMurf board haven't done!
LOL Goyder and his ilk have been leading the way for some time. We also did the CoC etc well before anyone else. :D But thanks :D

Nice idea though, maybe next time...erm...dunno, If I can think of any nifty ideas I'll PM them to you(I write short stories for a 'living', lol)
Please do. And remember that there are threads here in the IG section for expressing your skills. of course I'm too busy under 40k projects to do half what I should fiction wise.

Same hear, The start and finish were great, but the mid section did not do it for me. It may have been because we lost some officers.... and therefor had no direction.
This I think was a large part of it. However, more planning should prevent this and perhaps we can work out a bit of a protocol for what to do when the guy in the know suddenly vanishes.

- The issue of player controlling, seems a bit apparent here. The least I did for player confrontations was that I slashed across the chest, giving him a decent chance to heal himself. The reply was a demo charge down the gullet (which didn't really happen, since I leapt down below already).

This was particularly an issue in the begining, but it again re-emerged in the final few posts when all hell broke loose. Uhm. Yes, we definately can't have everyone actually killing each other, but I have no problems with people shooting, stabbing or punching at each other. The intent is to keep it as open ended as possible. As an example your slicing accross the chest was fine as was No Love Lost's punch in Pain's face (I think we all enjoyed that encounter and subsequent subplot). I do really get a thrill when everyone is actually trying to kill each other. Uhm, I'm sure that says sometihng about me. <cough>

Only thing is that as soon as we start implying intent of another person we immediatly cross the line. Can't fire someone's gun for them cause they may have wanted to club or stab or use the gun to shoot at their toes. (oh, and khemri - free bionics all around, you and kludkerdunk both deserve a little metal replacements.) Anyways, I'll get back to intent later when I deal with the issue of officers and what to do when they are gone.

- Each player should give a report to what he or she did, so at least while they're being awfully literary, the other not so intelligent people like me can understand what's going on. I'm looking at you No Love Lost.  :P
Lol
Absolutely. Occasionally I was just moving back and forth through posts going - "okay so how did that happen?" Which reminds me, I should probably make overall summaries more often. Again, I'll get back to this.

- A map! A map! Someone draw up the map of the Dodecahedron already! I got confused where everyone was running off to.
Oh, please, please please. If someone could organise this I'd be extremely grateful. Of course the 40th corps and its fluff is very much Goyder's baby, but I doubt he'd mind. At the very least we could pass it off as proposed blueprints or something in the 40th corps fluff. A few things to remember. Even though it is the dodecahedron, it has 13 wings/sides. And uhm, we seem to like ventilation shafts, so we may want to include some of those ;)

But hey, it's been a while since the IG boards had such an RP. Really nice one there. The context and background was there, really loved the part where the RPers turned on each other aka the mutations.
Haha thanks. I was waiting for it the whole time, just itching to see how it would happen :D

edit: yay! I'm the last of the Genestealers to die!
Actually, somehow, despite you being the least human of the 3 stealers (No Love was a pariah so he remained free of the hivemind, and nos killed himself) you got a taste of the antidote. Although bravo on the werewolf style crossover scene. Very impressive :D

edit2: gee, I forgot that Nosferatu was one of us. At least his faith in the Emperor guided him to do otherwise.
To be honest I also forgot who the rest were. I am sure Parak was also at some stage. Anyways, I'll dig around and post a list.

I felt my group was rather disconnected from the main plot, but that may have been more because of our actions then anything else.
Unfortunately it does look like that in retrospect. I didn't have plans for everyone all the way through, so unfortunately you and hobohunter ended up being a little out of it at the end. Oh crap, I think I also forgot to include Khemri in the last writeup. I had a plan for him and everything. Sorry dude.

Otherwise, I think we should have took a idea from the last RP that happened and have "rounds".  There is one round, say, every day or two where everyone makes on post, then don't post again untill the rp creator creates a small summary post.  This helps keep everyone at the same pace.
A fair suggestion, but I was given very clear indications that this was to be avoided. This is not the RPG thread, so I'm to keep it as freeflowing as possible. Also I am personally not a fan of having people on a checklist. It means that I have to kill you off after the 2 day period and requires a lot of retconning. However, I will say that I can be more consistant with my overall summaries. Say at the end of every day or two I can formalise the actions, ensuring that when people die they stay dead or when they are killed unfairly they are provided with the official revival. I also think we should look at ways to avoid the chain of command to maintian flow.

Player vs. Player Rping is tricky, and as you can see I tried to avoid it as much as possible. 
You are right. At times it did get a little bit out of hand. I am all onboard with the NPC idea, and as you can see I already tried a bit with the stair guard. But we need longer lasting NPCs that everyone knows has a set fate, so that the fact that your character doesn't know about it becomes a bit of a lotto each time you face him. Things I also was lenient on was individual awesomeness. Our abbility to take down stealers varied a lot. I mean we had them going down to Sporks while on other occasions player stealers sliced through us in seconds. In all fairness, Stealers scare the living crap out of me. I don't have the codex, but I know that even my "rough rider-esque" genetics is 1 initiative point lower than them. So while we have certain elasticity we probably also need an idea of what we can and should face. Use the BGB+Codex perhaps?

@ Lieutenant Mack

All very valid, but as you can tell it was a priority to maintian it as loose and unstructured as possible. We already have a roleplaying forum, so I don't want to move into that area too much. Also I do tend to like a bit of anarchy, but more importantly the thread is for people to tell us a bit about themselves. You like crazy beards? Make a mention of it. It's times like these where we form little inside jokes etc that make us more famaliar with each other and their quirks. Which reminds me. Chosen, I know you are reading this. I left you a surprise in one of your titans and I'm not telling what it is.

So my first real thought or question for the day is:
How to go on when an officer freezes up? Ultimately CPT_Pain did right, but how are we supposed to know when? etc.

Also, should I provide key people with rough goals so that they can delegate via PM if they are missing?

Would yo like more or less "plot bombs" where No Love, Nos and Talon emerge out of the vent work to bite? I mean should we leave it up to people to provide their own subplots like CPT_PAIN and No Love Lost, or should we provide a few hidden agendas for you?

How do we resolve violance. In this one, thanks to some extremely level heads (thanks Lt Striker, Col Gravis and all of you who took initiative and suggested that leveler heads prevail) all PKing was done by yours truly. (with the exception of paranoiddroid who accidentally killed both himself and Pax by teaming up with Rummy). I prefer it that mods or the thread coordinator does it, but how should it be determined? I personally like the idea of trying to further the plot, so if one obviosly would kill the other, but the character is part of your plot device let him get away with a sound thrashing and a PM to get out of dodge. Or should we go on BGB, or some such.

What are your thoughts.

Anyways, I have waffled on long enough. Thanks for the support and also for the feedback. When Goyder wakes up in, oh, I'm guessing 8 hours he can say if we are on the right track. For now, it's near 2 and I'm tired.

Cheers
Spite.
Ordo Sepulturum
Hunt for the Terminus Est

Offline CriscoCommissar, The Valorous Sludge

• Commander in chief of nothing in particular.
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
I demand bionic toes!  >:(

I think it went prety well overall. We had some small kinks, but that is to be expected from any open RP. There was not too much god moding or anything. The only problem I noticed, like Pain mentioned because we were in the same group, is losing leadership and direction when players dropped out.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 12:48:18 PM by CriscoCommissar, official oil of the holidays »
"Degeneracy can be fun, but it's difficult to seriously pursue as a lifetime occupation."- Robert Persig

--3rd platoon (Reapers!), Fox company, 309th--

Offline Lieutenant Mack

• Lieutenant
  • For the Emperor!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 01:22:41 PM »
Spiteful,

I agree that a loose spontanious RP thread is fun. Perhaps some of the ideas you mentioned, put a few in charge of keeping the thread on track via PM etc...

Have whoever started the thread be responsible for the delegation of specific tasks, and let the others join in, and add their own twists. All of this makes sense, but a little more structure would help immensely to keep intersts high, and have a fun overall experience for everyone. If any PvP develop, monitor it, and if it is all in fun, now worries. If things get out of control, that is the time to step in.

Just my 2 cents!

Listen up you slack jawed maggots. Until you are lucky enough to die by the Emperors grace, you will do what I say without question, without concern for your own safety, and without hesitation. Do I make myself clear?

Offline PaxImperator

• Staff Officer; Imperium Extraordinarius
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Let me start with kudos for starting this thread to evaluate the roleplay. Good idea.

I rather enjoyed at the start, but lost interest as it moved on.

Same here. In my case I think it was when I realised that other players could be as invulnerable to me as they liked by the expedient of replying with elaborate versions of: "I dodge the attack". I think more threadmaster involvement and arbitration should be high on the agenda in the next roleplay, especially where players are facing off against each other. Striker and Mack have some ideas related to that which I agree with.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
Same. The sheer numbers of people and often rapid replies left one feeling rather overwhelmed by the end of the day. No fault of those posting but rather more a numbing when trying to read three three pages of posts that have sprung up since last seen that morning,

Kudos to Spiteful with allowing us the opportunity and especially for the debrief. Perhaps a little more structure next time with some preplanning as to what is going to happen.

A map isn't going to be much use as Guard RP is all about making amphetamine parrot up concerning the HQ as we've seen from the very beginning.  :)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lockz

• Captain | Acting S4 - 40th Corps
  • 31st Mordian Iron Guard
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 02:02:21 PM »
Making stuff up, sure.  A general map of where everything is in relation to everything else would be useful, but the RP threads could then be used to add to it; ie the addition of ventilation shafts between Goyder's office and the infirmary.  I admit though that keeping the map updated would be tough, you'd have to go through after an RP thread like this and see what was changed!

Is there going to be an RP post wrapping things up from an up high perspective, ie a debrief to all the guardsmen about what went well, what didn't from a base defense perspective, and who's in trouble for carrying vodka around on duty?
Better crippled in body than corrupt in mind

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 02:06:20 PM »
First of all: Good work on the RPG, spiteful. It was great fun.

Most things have already been said and I don't want to repeat it. Just one more thing. Some sort of a map or loose description of the base would have been helpful.

Oh, and I wasn't able to polish my boots before the thread was closed. Major bummer.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline *Striker*

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • "Oh, all you have left to fire is the flashlights"
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 03:38:17 PM »
A fair suggestion, but I was given very clear indications that this was to be avoided. This is not the RPG thread, so I'm to keep it as freeflowing as possible. Also I am personally not a fan of having people on a checklist. It means that I have to kill you off after the 2 day period and requires a lot of retconning. However, I will say that I can be more consistant with my overall summaries. Say at the end of every day or two I can formalise the actions, ensuring that when people die they stay dead or when they are killed unfairly they are provided with the official revival. I also think we should look at ways to avoid the chain of command to maintian flow.

I strongly agree about the chain of command point.  Unfortunately, whenever someone is in charge of anyone in the RP, it's almost impossible to avoid havin other posters getting held up untill the "superior" makes a post.

Making it freeflowing is nice, but there has to be some way to keep everyone within the same time frame.  I'm sure if we looked at the RP closely we would find many instances  where time passed quicker/slower for different groups.  It doesn't have to be to strict,, but something needs to be in place.

Offline Onanon

• I Killed O'Rum!
  • Greased and good to go.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2007, 04:05:28 PM »

:o
I made a summary in every single post!!
Seconded on the map. It would give things... structure.
The PvP was a bit toothless, perhaps by necessity. We all killed a lot of redshirts.

More plot bombs, along with actual NPCs would make it more coherent.
Parak dropped out pretty early, that was a pain because he was one of the Hybrids.

It started off fairly light (with the sporkings) then got a little bit heavy towards the last 1/3.

I enjoyed having something to write about at least, being 'awfully literary' as Talon said.
I'll probably end up re-using some of those lines I wrote in the rp.

Heh, I killed O' Rum.
It's been awesome.
Thanks to all involved.
I like what you're doing, but none the less... It's pretty freakin' messed up. Which is cool. Great ideas and concepts, but again, pretty freakin' messed up.
Lol.

Offline Col.Gravis

• General; Best Painter
  • I take the Pith so you dont have too!
    • Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2007, 04:12:23 PM »
A map would be a great asset for future RPs - and I have to say would just be quite nice from the point of 40th Corps Fluff - not something that notes down every little corridor - rather something that gives a general idea of what section is where ie. Officer Mess, Armoury, Power Generator etc, with perhaps any special features of the area, for example it could note that an area is protected by blast shutters, that there is extensive ventalation shafts (or not), radiation warnings or more seriously that the Lord Moddissar recently frequented the lavortries in this section after a curry night.

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2007, 05:48:48 PM »
One question I must ask (because the wording seemed a bit vague): what happened to me?

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2007, 06:03:07 PM »
Oh crap, I think I also forgot to include Khemri in the last writeup. I had a plan for him and everything. Sorry dude.

Heh, no problem. The promise of shiny new bionics is adequate recompense. No more writer's cramp for Lieutenant Khemri, no sir.