News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: tactics for geting big nids close  (Read 1881 times)

Offline Farseer12

• ulthwe shall bring forth the return of eldar rule
tactics for geting big nids close
« on: August 22, 2002, 02:55:48 AM »
i wanted to know if anyone had and good combos or tactics for getting nids up there or are the forever doomed to be food for lascannons
~we have warned you of your actions before now you will have the pay the price in your blood~
~ the stars once lived and died at our command and still you oppose us!~

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
Re:tactics for geting big nids close
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2002, 06:44:50 AM »
There are a few ways of doing it.

The methods that I have seen work effectively are:

(1) Take a large number of Tyrant Guard. It takes ~11 Lascannons, or similar guns to strip away the Tyrant Guard and then another 7 to kill a Tyrant or Carnifex. Take two lots of Tyrant Guard and something will make it across the table, even if there is no terrain.

(2) Move between blocks of cover. It will take longer to get to the destination, but if you can deny most of the shooting at the big 'nids then it is often worth it.

(3) Wings. Simply fly between areas where they cannot shoot everything at you and you should be able to get to the target.

(4) Lots of fast gaunts. Charge them straight into combat and sacrifice them so that line of sight is blocked for the larger and scarier monsters.

(5) Play a mission where some of their models start in reserve and thus don't have enough guns on the table to stop your advance.

(6) Take so many big ones that they can't kill them all!

Or alternatively use the larger Tyranids as a decoy and have your Genestealers and other medium size creatures as the main threat.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2002, 09:25:07 AM »
Archon Kei'Ariq lists most of the ways to successfully get bigger nids close.  The only other one that I can think of is to 'overload' one portion of the enemy's forces.  Get the big ones in a position where only a few heavy weapons can fire at them (due to blocked LOS or range) and make your opponent choose who to concentrate fire on.  

Otherwise I've used tactics 2, 3 and 4 very successfully.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline Antediluvian

• All ends have a new beginning...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2002, 10:53:57 PM »
one more stratagy, mostly pertaining to carnifexes and non-winged tyrants. Dont use them unless you are playing against a simmiler army like sisters or orks. Otherwise just use lots of gaunts. Oh and remember to deep strike your red terror next to a basilisk so the skum bag thing dies before it does to much damage.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2002, 12:46:00 PM »
Speaking of winged Tyrants, heres another tactic.  Give your winged Tyrant a bodyguard.  Deploy them next to a carnifex.  On your first turn, have the carnifex join the unit, and the Tyrant leave it.  The Tyrant will use it's mobility to stay behind cover as it approaches the enemy, while the Carnifex will use the Tyrant Guard's protection as it approaches.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.

Offline Nids848

• I *Love* Farseer12!
    • Covshire- you all should come here, it's a cool group to join.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2002, 02:33:48 PM »
that is a really good idea hivemind. thanx ill be sure to use that next time i play. im not a very strategical person so i need lots of ideas and ill keep that one in mind. thats  great. bye

Offline Antediluvian

• All ends have a new beginning...
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2002, 09:01:11 PM »
yes yes, that is what i meant, i just something...*trails off* ... ill have 2 tyrant guard units on my Carnifex... HAHAHAHAHAHA stupid lascannons, i laugh in your face. and ill have some tyrant guard in back shooting brains out.