News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Got the ork bug  (Read 4973 times)

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
Got the ork bug
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:14:26 AM »
Ok so I've been holding back from posting this for as long as possible to see if this horrible itch will go away but I have the ork bug good and it's time I get my paws into this! I'm not entirely confident in which direction I want to take this though.  Basically I was very inspired by koval's short story on how Marbak got his boss pole so that is my starting point and the springboard from which I'm diving head first into the orks.

So far I'm stuck between painting them up as bad moonz of goffs... Goffs coz I love them, moonz because yellow orks are awesome (as my blood bowl thread in the painting forum shows!) any who enough rambling and time to get to the point, the first list I've come up with, would love thoughts on this.

War boss Marbak, eavy armour, cyborg body, boss pole, attack squig, power klaw, tl shoota 115

Bigmek Loghak, shokk attack gun 95

12 burna boys 180
Trukk reinforced ram, armour plates 50

10 nobs, eavy armour, waaagh banner 3pk, 3 big choppas 2 shoota/skorcha 265
Battle wagon deff rolla stick bomb chukka 115

11 boys, 1 nob, PK BP 112
Trukk reinforced ram, armour plates stick bomb chukka 55
11 Ard boys, 1 nob, PK BP 160

2 deff dreads, skorcha, dccw 210

Total 1746

Thoughts for a first time boy? :)

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
Re: Got the ork bug
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
Firstly: you can't have a trukk as a dedicated transport to burnas. But if you take your BW as a heavy support and the "burna-trukk" as a dedicated transport to the nobz you will be legal. ;)

I would keep it that way, not change vehicles in your first turn. Since nobz want to be stuck in a fight early, a trukk will take them there faster than a BW, this will also force your opponent to choose: either destroy the nobz trukk or the burnas BW with deffrolla. If you "flat out" your first turn, your nobz won't bother if their ride is blown to pieces.

Secondly: don't bother with stikkbomb chukkas on your trukks, ork initiative is too low, only comperable to IG or tau. So instead you could take red paint job (which I'm sure that Skeetergod is about to tell you as soon as he sees this).

Thirdly: Make all your nobz in the nob-squad different, this way you can "cheat" with your wounds and take 10 wounds before anyone dies, take your bosspole of your warbozz and give it to a nob, always better to give it to the squad so that you don't end up sacrificing your bozz to not make your suad run.

Fourthly: Give your big mek a KFF instead of the SAG, put him in the BW with your burnas and woila, you have a 4+ cover save to all of your vehicles. Give him a bosspole and a PK so that he can protect the very vulnerable burnas.

I''m sure the little more experienced orks will guide you but I hope that you find my tips useful. ;)

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:12:43 PM »
Ok so somehow I grossly miscalculated the cost of the nobz, with each one being different and adding a pain boy the unit totals 410... This is a huge cost and changes the list significantly... Thoughts on whether to run them like this and if so where do I make the savings? Dropping the dreads? Although without them this feels very much like a glass cannon list!

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
Firstly, welcome to the best ork site on the entire www  :D I am overjoyed to see a speed freak joining the forum, lots of trucks and BWs is just a lot of Good Stuff! After this post I will be going outside to do the happy dance, (as I am not allowed to do it inside anymore)

With that said, I invite you to join the Waagh. Just go to THIS LINK and post a reply that you would like to join.

Now, on to your list: I would recommend you drop the dreads as they will be lagging far behind the rest of your army. Replace them with rockit buggies and maybe a Green Baron.

As for your trucks, drop the armor plates and stick bomb chuckas, they are useless as the trucks are highly expendable, and the ork initiative is low so that even with stick bombs we still end up swinging last. Instead get red paint and boarding planks. The red paint extra inch is a real boon, allowing a 13" move, 2" disembark and 6" charge, giving you a 21" threat range and usually getting your boys into CC on turn 2. The boarding plank lets your nob make his attacks without getting out of the truck, and is really useful against things like death company dreadnoughts, and transports full of marines. The dread doesn't get to strike back and the marines will now be dismounted and have to attack your truck instead of your orks  8)

CC is what orks are good at, so getting there is the whole idea behind vehicles. And the KFF big mek helps to protect those vehicles for the all important first turn of shooting. After all if your trucks get shot out from under you then you can't get to combat except by by walking which means you will get shot to pieces and not have enough boys to krump your opponent.

Speaking of the KFF big mek, give him a burna and a boss pole and add him to the burna boy wagon. This gives the burna boys an extra template and the all important LD reroll. For a detailed tactica on how to use the Burna Boys Click Here

For your nobs, add a painboy and cybork body, otherwise the first power weapon wielding commissar will see put to your pricy squad. The painboy gives you the feel no pain, and I am sure you are well aware of how valuable FNP is, have the boss go with this squad so any of those S8 hits can be assigned to him and they won't insta kill your nobs.

I am glad to see you have finally succumbed to the addiction of orks, if you find your self suffering from OIADD don't worry, it is normal and will never go away.  ;) I will be happy to help you with any more speed freak advice, to help you enjoy life to the fullest by krumping your enemy, seeing them flee before you, and hearing the lamentations of their owners  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 03:03:03 PM »
OK I'm Mainly going to be reinforcing the previous posters on this list.  Firstly the mek definitely need the KFF  other weapon options are up for debate but like the bosspole.  I just can't really see an HQ getting pimped out to get the smack down the first combat he enters 9 out of 10 times.  I run mine bare bones KFF pole maybe if points allow or if he is with the burnas.  My role for my Big mekk is get the boyz to the fight and then you can die job well done.

Plus I see walkers in your future  just from your list here I love it all that speed and then the two dreads why cause you like them I take.  I love the hybrid boss makes me do the happy dance.  I'm currently working on every possible ork list you could want.  why cause I love the orks.

Plus I really just need the Imperial armour 8 book and my little ork heart will be complete.  but that is an off note

Cheers and welcome to the green

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »
Welcome...

I think your list looks pretty good...  Those trukks will give your boyz all over the enemy quick...

As mentioned, running a KFF mek in the battle wagon with the burna boyz is a good idea.  I'd give him a burna himself and he can add tot he firepower and give them an edge in close combat.  A lot of people run him are bones, but I've found that he is a decent, if not spectacular fighter.  But with no war gear, he is useless once he gets your army across the board.  With a burna and a cybork body, he can inflict some damage.  If he get killed, not a big deal as he has already done his job...

I've never liked nobz in trukks personally...  They are just too expensive to put in such a fragile vehical.  If you get first turn, you can drive at them full speed and it doesn't really matter...  But I'd run only a 5 man unit in a trukk...  10 man is too many points for an armor 10 ride...

Good luck...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 05:35:58 PM »
Welcome to the green side.   Since you have already proven yourself to be a good painter you picked an army that never leaves you short of something to paint.   I think the konversion side will also appeal to you as well.  (it does to all of us orks)

Your build is following a Speed Freak build with only a few things that might give you a hard time.

-Now I love my dreads don't get me wrong but if you are going with a fully mechanized force, leave the walkers at home.   If you would happen to hybrid your force at some point then they make for a great addition.  Paired up with a big mek, some kans and a squad of 30 boys you have a solid slow chunck of models that can hold their own.   By themselves, however, they will get left in the dust.

-Gotta keep those trukks cheap.   A ram is a good investment, anything over that is investing some points on light armor open top vehicle that can succumb to light arms fire.   As for armor plates the two places I see them best fit is on Dreads you plan on leading a kan wall and on Battlewagons with deff rollas.
I would instead invest your points in taking a BS in your boyz squad, (for a bit of extra firepower), and on extra armor for your nob.  He is a two wound model so with a better save he might be able to soak up a wound before having to remove a boy, the extra armor just helps make the squad more effective.

-a big mek should have a kff as suggested, this will make your vehicles a lot more survivable and make battlewagons a real pain.

Personal suggestions that I have learned from experience...
-always take a deff rolla on a battlewagon that you plan on moving.  For the points you have a weapon that can only be neutralized by an immobilized result.  Armor plates and grot riggas plus a Big shoota are my common upgrades for my battle wagons along with the deff rolla.   In a list like this I would possibly consider using two.   One for the burnas, and one for....

-for me it would be ard boyz.   a unit of 20 with 2 big shootas, nob with pk and bp.   Loaded in a battlewagon these little buggers are great for taking your opponents objective.  Once they get to your opponents side they are a pain to get out.

-Nobz, everyone will tell you something different here, I have run them on foot, in a battlewagon, and on bikes.  By far and away Bikes is the way to go.   A unit of 6-7 is about the perfect size, armed with options to take advantage of wound allocation, a painboy, and cybork if you have the points.... and led by a boss on a bike w/ cybork and PK.  This is a major fear unit, that has a mobile cover save, can turbo boast, multiwound, wound allocation monster.  Not to mention your PK boss can break off to deal with armor if needed.    They are usually a pain in your opponents butt from turn 2.

About your list...
The one major concern will be dealing with armor.   Having mobile PK's even with boarding planks if you take them is nice.... however certain armies (like blood angels) move fast all the time.   Having to hit on 6's will make your Pk's effectiveness next to nil. 

-adding in a squad or two of rokkit buggies will help.   They work pretty well with a fully mechanized force and are fast, and have decent range.   Being able to engage armor from range is never a bad thing.

*** a word of caution***  If you plan on playing friendly games, then wound allocated biker boyz will not make your opponent want to play against you.   I save mine for 2000 point tournaments, apocalypse, and ard boyz only.   

P.S. No doctor can fix that itch, no ointments will help, it is a festering disease that will consume all your free time and money, even driving down the street you will be thinking of ways a mek could modify something.  You will soon have an intense desire to keep adding to the ork army and you will catch yourself chanting out a loud WAAAAAGHHH at the game store, which all players will understand and all onlookers will think you are a stark raving lunatic.   Welcome to being an Ork!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:46:18 PM by angel of death 007 »

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:11 AM »
Well well, look who wandered in  :)  welcome to the green side, I strongly advise you to sign up to the Waaagh - not only because we're the best PoC around here, but because we're 1 Ork short of a green tide (100 members), and who better to bring us up to strength?! ;)

Looking forward to seeing your painted Orks too.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 05:04:16 PM »
As AoD mentioned...  Orks are the funnest army to build and paint...  Mostly for two reasons...  You will never mess up an ork...  He is awesome no matter how bad he looks...  In fact, looking rusted, gnarled, and piecemealed is a good thing.  Also, you can scratch build whatever you want.  Take any GW vehical (or non GW, whoops, did I say that out loud! lol) and start adding grubbins...  Soon, you'll have some sort of looted wagon... lol

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »
Ok so the consensus here seems to be pretty unanimous, im going to tweak and change up the list a bit either tonight or tomorrow night as and when i get the chance... I have been unable to stop thinking about how im going to change this up so we'll see what I decide on....

Plus I see walkers in your future  just from your list here I love it all that speed and then the two dreads why cause you like them I take.  I love the hybrid boss makes me do the happy dance.  I'm currently working on every possible ork list you could want.  why cause I love the orks.
Cheers and welcome to the green

Yeah you got me... I love dreads and Kans but I didnt want to start off with a kan wall list just yet, thats something for the future as Warboss Marbak and his Bigmek Loghak grow the waaagh into an unstoppable force, but every good waaaagh needs a good horde of boyz at the core so thats where im starting. I do however see alot of forgeworld in the future... i think my Mek is gonna be a busy boy!

Ok so the waagh officially began yesterday (I found 20 Ork boyz already made from a previous venture into the Orks) and then I went into GW and got my first Big Green :D I picked up my BigMek and started painting him up today, very grungy and grimey, now i decided not to go down the route of my blood bowl team and go for bright cartoon skin, instead ive gone for dark tones, as a result of this I dont think this skin tone will look good with yellow so im going GOFF!!! I really wanna get accross the dirty, grimey nature of Orks with these so there will be lots of rust, oily gubbinz chipped paint etc etc but im not sure how im going to base them yet... any suggestions? 

I hope to get a pic up for all your approval soon of my start!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
I did my orks as Goff.   For my bases I did a gray stone style with dead / skorched (yellowish colored) static grass.   It worked decent to contrast the very dark model and not detract from the green skin of the orks.  Plus it looked good on walkers as well.   Simple yet effective.   I have a philosophy, either spend a massive amount of time painting and do a simple base, or spend little time painting and do an impressive base.   The problem is a really impressive base can take away from a painted model, IMHO.   I paint decent enough that I want most people who view my army to look at the quality of painting rather than the base. 

I was against any kind of green base from the get-go due to it detracting from the green skin and since I used brown as an accent color, I tossed it out for a base as well.   Which left a black ash style base...  which would have looked good and added a darker look to the model or a neutral color (gray and light yellow).   After I did my test model, I never looked back.   

As far as FW goes.   The amount of impressive ork stuff they make is truly awesome.   Definately made orks my number 1 choice for an apocalypse army.   (that and being able to konvert stuff...  like my tractor buggy project I will be doing over this summer)

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
Valar:  Sorry, not a bug, but a all out, comsume yer blood vessels condition; usually brought about by prolonged contact with the spores of someone already afflicted...Congrat ulations, there is no real cure (like there is no cure for this hobby either, ya either got it or ya don't). 
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:02 PM »
welcome to da ORKS! your list is good and already the big bosses have given you tons of advice! it's always good to see a new person join our mob.

i think i must say is, get yourself a grren baron or two. they work wonders in my games and i never leave home without them!

just got to give a shout out to skeeter for using that conan refrence! i laughed for a good 10mins LOL :D
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »
Quick question, can ork nobz that are leading boyz squads take a big or TL shoota? I can't see the option to but it seems silly to me that they wouldn't be...

Offline nawari

• Ork Boy
  • There is a bit of wulfen in all of us.
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Orks, White Scars
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »
unfortuntatly you cant. you have to either take a PK or BC..etc. I think because he is a "lesser" nob than the other nob units. but yeh i wish he could take the same options aswell. but he's still awsome with a PK! :D
Wish i had my own pet thunderwolf! Then i could ride into work and people will be like "Dayymm he so awsome right now!"

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
I would say they could have a big shoota if you follow the wording but you can't get above the 1 per 10 model rule.  Now I think about  giving the nob a bigshoota wouldn't be a bad idea.   Plus it would be nice if  nobz leading boyz could get the weapon upgrades the nobz squads get.  A nice combi flamer shot before the charge could be usefull.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2012, 07:59:31 PM »
In the prior codex life, I always gave my nobs BS...especially if they acted as a retinue for a warboss.  Nothing like 30 str 5 shots all at once, even if you only really ever hit with 5-10.  Good times, good times...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »
I would say they could have a big shoota if you follow the wording but you can't get above the 1 per 10 model rule.  Now I think about  giving the nob a bigshoota wouldn't be a bad idea.   Plus it would be nice if  nobz leading boyz could get the weapon upgrades the nobz squads get.  A nice combi flamer shot before the charge could be usefull.

I will agree with you, though I have never modeled one as such.   Army Builder also lets you take this option.   

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2012, 09:03:13 AM »
How to give your nob a big shoota: first you choose a squad of 10+ boys and give one a big shoota, second you upgrade the boy with the big shoota to nob, third give the nob the boss pole, etc. of your choosing, and presto; one nob with big shoota.

You may as well as the nob looses an attack from taking the BC or PK, so having the big shoota kinda makes up for it.

I run my Drive By Boys with the nob with boss pole and big shoota. No he doesn't get a meaner combat weapon as they tend to stay in their truck doing drive by shootings. However they do get into combat from time to time and the boss pole has saved their bacon on many an occasion.

I have taken this combo to a few tournaments, and it has not been questioned by any of my opponents or the judges for the last couple of years, so I do not think you will have any such problems if you do too.

Try it, you'll like it  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline -V-

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »
Ok so last night at work was a quiet shift so I had a few moments to myself which I think I used valuably to hash out the latest rendition of an army list which I have to say I feel quite happy with and would like your thoughts :)

Warboss Marbak's Dead Choppy Krumpin Sqwad 1750

Warboss Marbak, Power Kalw, TL Shoota, attack squig, eavy armour, cybork body 120

Big Mek, burna, Boss pole, KFF 115

12 Burna Boyz 180

10 Nobz inc painboy (all different load outs) 410

11 Boyz 1 Nob. PK Boss Pole Big Shoota 117
Trukk Boarding Plank 40

Trukk Boarding Plank 40

Trukk Boarding Plank 40

11 Ard Boyz 1 Nob. PK Boss Pole Big Shoota 165
Trukk reinforced ram 40

Battlewagon deff rolla grot riggers 2 big shootas 125

Battlewagon deff rolla grot riggers 1 big shoota 120

Total 1746

So my thoughts are...

Big mek and burnas ride around in one of the battlewagons and the nobz with Warboss in the other... and then really its as simple as rushing head first forwards to the enemy to start krumpin and bashin heads as soon as possible :)