News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Base swapping miniatures  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Base swapping miniatures
« on: October 9, 2019, 06:04:10 AM »
I've got a bunch of old WHFB minis that I'm considering using in AoS, but they all have square bases.

These are small plastic infantry models, unpainted but assembled. Is there an easy way to get the old bases off, or should I just put up with the square ones?

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Base swapping miniatures
« Reply #1 on: October 9, 2019, 11:53:37 AM »
Rounds make the models look infinitely better in a skirmish game.

I usually just use the gw snippers (as they are very thin and cut flat), and carefully cut the foot off the base. Worked pretty well for when I was doing my skaven. any accidentally snipped feet I hid with flock.

Are they on with super glue, or plastic glue? If super glue, you can sometimes just snap them, or pry them off.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2019, 02:02:23 PM »
It's superglue. I'm a little worried about snapping off feet (these are Darkshards and they have delicate ankles). You think the glue will give before their leg?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2019, 04:31:54 PM »
My recommendation is to leave the bases alone.  There is no rule that square bases cannot be used and it is more trouble to replace them with round bases than it is to leave them alone in my opinion.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2019, 09:51:42 PM »
If you're concerned, what I've done is cut the base off around the feet, and then snipped the platform off of the bottom of the foot. You'll need thin snips, which cut straight (the get ones for example), but it'll get thr job done. I did this recently for a batch of Phoenix guard.

My recommendation is to leave the bases alone.  There is no rule that square bases cannot be used and it is more trouble to replace them with round bases than it is to leave them alone in my opinion.

Besides looking awful, and not being regulation for events.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: October 9, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
It's superglue. I'm a little worried about snapping off feet (these are Darkshards and they have delicate ankles). You think the glue will give before their leg?

If its superglue and not a plastic glue, then pop them in the freezer over night. Try a little bit of pressure as the glue should be weakened, if that doesn't work, then hobby knife to get under the foot a bit and try pressure again.

Alternatively if you don't want to keep the square bases, just use snips to cut the bases up.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 04:26:50 PM »
Besides looking awful, and not being regulation for events.

Aesthetics are a matter of taste, so there's no universal response to the question.  My view is that it's also just a marketing tactic by GW to attempt to cajole players into rebasing their models.  There is nothing in the rules of how to play the game that stipulates the base type.

As for events, not everybody plays in those.  If games are only being played between friends, the rules for events are irrelevant and not all events adopt the same rules and conventions either.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
One option that doesn't require cutting would be to buy base converters, which many companies sell - they're basically 32mm round bases, but with squares cut into them, so you can slide a square base in. You'll still need to do some basing work to make the new added part look like the old part, though:

Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
Hmmm...interesting. but wouldn't increasing the diameter of the bases be a disadvantage for combat, where you're trying to cram as many guys as close together as possible?

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 07:22:20 PM »
Also, due to the basing chart, a lot of the legacy models need to be on 25mm bases. Also, bigger bases are worse for gameplay too.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria