News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Things Fall Apart, malignant child of The Demon  (Read 3023 times)

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
Things Fall Apart, malignant child of The Demon
« on: February 26, 2017, 08:59:56 PM »
Well folks it has finally happened. The novel inspired by this story has been published. Cant believe its been nine years. Nine beslubbering years of work by this unsavorably old chap.

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Fall-Apart-Eric-Vargas-ebook/dp/B06VTNG1TH/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1488160530&sr=8-9&keywords=things+fall+apart
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:32:31 PM by bluewpc »
War. War is your trade is it not?

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Things Fall Apart - My Published Novel
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »
First and foremost, congratulations :).  Getting your work published is a fantastic achievement and I hope that it's very well received.  I've made the title of this topic a bit more reflective of your achievements, but feel free to change it if you don't like it.

I've split this topic from the old one, as the 2008 one was way to old to revive.  For reference the old topic (and story) can be found here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:56:20 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 10:34:43 AM »
As Irisado has said bluewpc congratulations on getting a book published and being placed 916,000th on the paid best sellers list.

So I am a little confused. The Amazon info and image makes no reference to Space Marines, Chaos or Games Workshop so has your book been amended to remove all reference to the Astartes or what?

Oh and now that you are rich and famous don't forget the litte people that helped you along the way.

Hey if it does happen I'll send you an autographed book  ;D

HEY i want one as well :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 11:18:47 AM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:53:20 AM »
Congrats! Good luck with sales!

(I'll buy your novel if you buy mine!  ;))

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:05:16 PM »
Is that the author variant of "Show me yours, I'll show you mine"?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
Is that the author variant of "Show me yours, I'll show you mine"?

Well, less likely to put you in court on a public indecency charge, but yeah.

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »
@alienscar well...before this topic was moved the relation was a little clearer. This book is directly descended from the fanfic I wrote waaaaaaaaaaaay back long ago when I was a wee little lad doing fanfic on this site. Characters, scenes, history I pretty much lifted them from the book and transported them into Eastern Ukraine. The black dragons became the Galias Gang, Crycillic is still around in Gothenberg, Catherine became Dachni Lucifuge became Bethel. Oh my Christ the memories

To all else thanks for the congrats. I do want ot come back one of these days and do a 40k story about the dark elder fighting IG, go back to my roots but that is many years in the future.

Good heavens its been too long. I kinda wanna sneak around the fiction forums and see whats what
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 05:33:44 PM by bluewpc »

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Things Fall Apart, malignant child of The Demon
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Hey Bluewpc I read a little of your original fanfic (man it is dark and twisted) and in some ways the removal of the 40k content makes a lot sense as I doubt very much Games Workshop would have published your story as written.

Has it really taken you nine years to write this book?
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »
Hey Bluewpc I read a little of your original fanfic (man it is dark and twisted) and in some ways the removal of the 40k content makes a lot sense as I doubt very much Games Workshop would have published your story as written.

Has it really taken you nine years to write this book?

Yeahhhhhh I had some dark stuff back then but nothing so dark as what I write now. Which is part the reason I went the self-publishing route. My short story Out Here got whacked with the censor stick but honestly they were all cool about it.

Ive always found the permissibility of gratuitous violence to be in complete contradiction with the ban towards sex. Contemporary mores aside you cant actually have myth without both and I mean myth in the civilizational sense the two are indivorceable.

But like I said Id love to go back and do a story about a clash between the IG and the DE. Because you know the DE aren't really developed psychologically and maybe I'm expecting too much from a tabletop game but I think there's something really there to be explored. You know around the time I was writing Empire of The Mind I was also reading the Gulag Archipelago and Anne Applebaum's Gulag and A Small Corner of Hell and Dispatches and I thought about the DE was like yeahhh you guys are sadists supreme and you slaughter everyone but we do that too and on top of that we've got Kafka. We have Abrecht Mach Frei. I mean as a whole they're depicted as being fearful of consumption by Slaanesh but what motivates them individually. You could say power but power is secondary, Id want to explore the primary concern, what lies underneath the need or maybe there's nothing at all and they're nihilists. 

All my work was exploring that, even if badly. Empire of the Mind had a guardsman named Flynn meet a dark elder named Lilith. Listowski's Nightmare centered around an Imperial Guard squad that capture a Tau child and then a human auxiliary. Out Here had Ballard and an Eldar meet up. Even Deeds of The Dead focused on a clash of ideals. And then we had the Demon where you had a group of blank mercenaries led by a necron influenced commander fighting cultists and a dying demon prince and space marines and an obsessive eldar and intelligence agencies and politics and then just your average imperial citizen and society.

Take all of that and then add nine years, strip away the 40k setting and you have Things Fall Apart. Because its evolved out of that crash of cultures and its almost never pretty. Most of the time it took to write the book was to figure out the style. I knew the story I just didnt know how to write it or what I wanted to say. I had a severely limited conceptual horizon way back then and I literally had to get the equivalent of a master's in literature to be able to write it. So theres that.

As for Mutley he isn't still around is he?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:02:06 PM by bluewpc »

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: March 2, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
Ive always found the permissibility of gratuitous violence to be in complete contradiction with the ban towards sex. Contemporary mores aside you cant actually have myth without both and I mean myth in the civilizational sense the two are indivorceable.

I think that overall I agree with you consensual sex shouldn't be seen as worse than chopping someone into bits with a penknife. So why censors seem happy to allow violence onto our screens more so than sex is a bit of a mystery.

I am not so sure about about myths and sex being inextricably linked but you obviously know more about the subject than I do so I will leave it there. I wish Sir_Godspeed were around as I am fairly sure he would have something to say on the matter.

Because you know the DE aren't really developed psychologically and maybe I'm expecting too much from a tabletop game but I think there's something really there to be explored. I mean as a whole they're depicted as being fearful of consumption by Slaanesh but what motivates them individually. You could say power but power is secondary, Id want to explore the primary concern, what lies underneath the need or maybe there's nothing at all and they're nihilists.

I agree with you again from a fluff perspective the Dark Eldar are really confused. I think a lot of this stems from their supposed background. They are supposed to be nihilists but the family friendly face of GW means that from a fluff point of view and possibly even a gaming point of view their true character can't really be explored.

It is clear from the couple of pages of the The Demon that I read that you understand gore and pain and I think you could easily write a Dark Eldar story that gelled with what most people's idea of Dark Eldar society and behaviour truly is.

As an aside I wonder if this is one of the reasons GW has introduced the Ynnari. Strength from death is far more acceptable than the tortuous background that the Dark Eldar currently has so I am seeing the Ynnari as GW way of making the Dark Eldar easier to write and, odd to say, more family friendly.

Take all of that and then add nine years, strip away the 40k setting and you have Things Fall Apart. Because its evolved out of that crash of cultures and its almost never pretty. Most of the time it took to write the book was to figure out the style. I knew the story I just didnt know how to write it or what I wanted to say. I had a severely limited conceptual horizon way back then and I literally had to get the equivalent of a master's in literature to be able to write it. So theres that.

Sounds like a real struggle so congratulations again on finishing and publishing your book.

As for Mutley he isn't still around is he?

Alas the likes of Mutley will never be seen here again.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2017, 11:13:15 AM by Alienscar »

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2017, 04:25:58 AM »
Major ups on the publication. I didn't get to ever read the original story, but this sounds like it's been through a lot of development, so hopefully it does well. :D

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
Hey Bluewpc, I logged in here for the first time in forever just to tell you congratulations!!! I don't know if you remember me from way back when, it was a long time ago. I remember you were the first one to comment on An Infinite Circuitry of Fate ;D. I wish you continued success, I remember reading your stories, so I think I'll pick up your book now  ;).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 05:33:19 AM »
@myental Hey big guy! god it has been years aint it? Sorry I missed your post all those months ago but I've been traveling around. I'm actually sitting in a hostel/bar writing this now and the sunflower seed eating babushkas are debating the wisdom in my continued presence :D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:35:15 AM by bluewpc »

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 12:59:21 AM »
@Bluewpc, not a problem, I'm a little late to your post too, haven't checked the site in awhile. It has been a couple of years, hasn't it. I think I remember reading the 40k version of your book back when I was in high school  ;). I continued on with fan-fiction for a little while, stopped writing altogether for a couple years, and then came back onto Heresy Online and wrote a 90,000 word-length epic called The New Word. That took two years of inconsistent writing, haha. I still go there from time-to-time, but I'm getting serious about writing something for myself and hope to get it published upon a day.

Time will tell, though. Glad to hear you're enjoying the greater world  ;D! Where have you been travelling recently?

Offline bluewpc

• Ne Cede Malis
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 06:03:05 PM »
Ha! We might as well exchange addresses and send pigeons :D

Glad to hear youre still writing. Maybe Ill take a gander The New World when I get a chance. What would you plan to write about in your world? Mil Scifi? Space Opera?

I just came back from Yerevan about three weeks ago at this point maybe a month. Had a damn good time. An gawd they got some chesty women. I think Armenians, Serbians, and Ukrainians all produce the best women in the world. I'm back stateside though now.

And it ain't yours?

Mine too. Very much so.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 12:27:48 AM »
Ha! We might as well exchange addresses and send pigeons :D

Glad to hear youre still writing. Maybe Ill take a gander The New World when I get a chance. What would you plan to write about in your world? Mil Scifi? Space Opera?

I just came back from Yerevan about three weeks ago at this point maybe a month. Had a damn good time. An gawd they got some chesty women. I think Armenians, Serbians, and Ukrainians all produce the best women in the world. I'm back stateside though now.
I'm here on time for once, haha!

Actually, I am neither writing a Military Scifi or Space Opera, but a novel set in a fantasy world which sits between High and Dark fantasy. It's still in the early writing stages, with most of my focus over the last couple of months being on the world's creation: creating the continents, mapping out the kingdoms and the geography of their regions, and fleshing out the races who rule them.

I was invested in writing some science fiction a couple of years ago, but I feel like I've only scratched the surface of that genre. I don't know if you remember 'The Crystalline Ocean' the original setting I wrote for a competition here on 40k online sometime ago, but it was basically an evolution of that. I always started off strong in the beginning, but I continually came across the issue of the book coming off more as a military science fiction novel, and that was not really what I wanted.

Overtime, a stronger and stronger yearning to write something more adventurous, but still maintain a sense of grim violence kind of sparked my interest in writing fantasy. Both the classical and medieval periods have been points of interest in my life, so I thought it would be good to put that inspiration to good use.

I never thought I'd attempt a fantasy setting until I wrote 'Gods' Hall' another fan-fic set in the Warhammer Fantasy Universe. It was about a raiding force of norsemen who become stranded in the province of Nordland after their fleet is razed in a battle against the Dark Elves.

Here are a few select scenes from previous iterations of the fantasy book that I decided to share on Heresy, if you're interested in reading them.

And here is 'The New Word' in case you wanted to see that, so you don't have to go hunting for it  ;).

Sorry for rambling, don't mean to make your thread about my efforts  :D.

EDIT: Ah, sorry moderators about the links! In that case I'll leave a thread in the fiction board of some of the scenes I've written.

Links removed.  Please avoid posting links to other forums.  If you have material you'd like members here to read, please post it here - Iris.

EDIT 2: I'm going on a nostalgia trip and reading through An Infinite Circuitry of Fate again, the 40k version of your horror story is far superior, ha-ha ;D!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:54:38 AM by MyenTal »