News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Your 40K pet peeve?  (Read 42406 times)

Offline Sapphon

• Infinity Circuit
  • No quantity of firepower matches my arrogance
Your 40K pet peeve?
« on: February 26, 2007, 11:59:47 AM »
I find that when you love something a lot, you also end up hating certain parts or aspects or consequences of that thing.  We all must have something about 40K, whether it has to do with the models, the community, the rules, or whatever, that we can't stand.  What's yours?

(Mine, BTW, is the application of complicated real-life tactics to 40K, which is demonstrably nothing like actual battle.  For one thing, a 6-year-old can play - in a first-world country.)
"I personally don't use Guardians at all...there's something about 500 year old artists dying en masse I find distressing."

-Lascidel

Instead of tallying my wins and losses and posting them here, I instead took the total W/L/D's from all of the 40KO signatures in existence and put them here.  Enjoy!

W: 6296540262043640254 592655492524
D: 100
L: 4

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Your 40K pet peeve?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 12:06:30 PM »
People who confuse 7 for 6 on thier tape measure.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Czar

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 12:29:14 PM »
Well, the prices are a classic gripe XD

Also the sales staff can often be really annoying.

The fact a lot of the 40k/Warhammer community think there are no other miniatures games/companies out there.

People playing with armies of completely unpainted models. Even primed black looks better than unpainted.

Offline Saur0n

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 12:36:49 PM »
Unpainted armies! People that badmouth GW yet never miss a weekend at the GW store...  :P People obsessed with winning armies and not fun armies

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:42:01 PM »
Are we talking common phenomena of gaming or the actual set-up? Because GW's vast inconsistency between fluff and artwork, and their inability to write scientifically consistent and accurate fluff (depleted deuterium? WHY AM I FIRING HYDROGEN?!) gets aaaaaaaall the way over mah tittays...
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Democratus

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 12:55:47 PM »
Scoochers.  People who measure 6" and move one model that far...then proced to move the rest of the unit and in the process "adjust" their formation so that they have moved 7" or more.  >:(

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
Oh Jesus Christ I am intimately familiar with that one. GAH!
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline nurgle5

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »
static armies, unpainted armies, unbased armies, tournament armies in friendly games,
SMs hiding in ruins/behind hedges, etc; Blood Dragon Vampires >:( >:( >:(,
and finally my warriors of slaanesh inability to win combats.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 01:03:55 PM »
The way I only seem to roll lots of sixes when I'm taking a psychic test.

Dizzy

Offline Andro Ist Keine Schwedischen

• Da Biggest; His Fluffiness; Warboss
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 02:26:31 PM »
People who don't measure movement properly are a common gripe, which I share.  It's essentially cheating, and I really hate it.

People who roll for scatter before they place templates.  Again, cheating.

People who dispute what I just rolled, even though I know they saw what I rolled.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline magusx316

• lets kill them all so god will know his own
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 02:28:16 PM »
Players under the age of 12 who do not know how to build a proper army list, have unpainted models,  that play tau or smurfs.

Offline mr_mich

• I make it rain
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 02:37:50 PM »
Mine's the targetting issue.  I've been teaching friends/roommates to play 40k, and noticed that to them a majority of the game involves trying to snipe models out of a squad.  I.e. "Well, 6 of my models can only see your 1 heavy bolter Guardsmen, so I put 6 shots on him, then the rest of my shots on the rest of your squad..."  Sometimes the rules force/permit you to do that, but they try and apply it WHENEVER they're shooting, and even position models so that they're forced to use that rule (sharp angle LOS).  It kinda kills the spirit of the game...

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2007, 02:40:43 PM »
We've all done it, but players who look down on younger players with unpainted armies, broken models, proxies and/or snotty noses.

I mean Jesus, they're only having fun. It's not like a crime.

I don't like people who don't play in the spirit of the game, either. People who either play too much to the letter (firing through 6 inces of cover, even if that cover is 12 feet of reinforced concerete) etc.

And anyone who thinks conventional movement rules do not apply to them.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2007, 02:47:35 PM »
We've all done it, but players who look down on younger players with unpainted armies, broken models, proxies and/or snotty noses.

I mean Jesus, they're only having fun. It's not like a crime.

I had to stop myself from laughing at someone's army a week ago.  He was a nice kid, but he really needed to work on his painting skills.  And focusing on one colour scheme.

I don't like people who don't play in the spirit of the game, either. People who either play too much to the letter (firing through 6 inces of cover, even if that cover is 12 feet of reinforced concerete) etc.

And anyone who thinks conventional movement rules do not apply to them.

Same.  And people who will argue you're half a millimeters out of range, and then try to do exactly the same thing next turn.

OH SNAP!

:)

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »
That's happened to me. I fired a Demolisher Cannon at a Monolith and the guy (Manager) argued I was out of range. I let it go and the next turn the stationary Monolith blew up my Vindicator with a shot of exactly the same range. Yeah, I let him have his cake and just left. He was also using 300 points of Cityfight defences and both the C'tan (without paying a single point for either) because it was a "special scenario". Ever heard of it? Its that one where everyone loses except the store manager.

Offline web ghost

• Lookit me! I did something useful!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Beware of this and that" -Edward Gorey
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »
...the seven inch move is a big one...especially when the aforementioned reconfiguration of the squad takes place.  

I personally despise painting bases.  Its always the last thing to do and I just want to get it done.  So I thin the coverage black too much and it has to dry forever.  Dry brushing the sand and then the worst part...aaaaarrrggh painting the edge of the base!  lol.

later WG

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 03:06:12 PM »
I don't mind basing too much, I leave it for last, but only takes a few seconds per model. The only thing I don't like are people who need to look in a codex every second when you do something they don't like, and then try to cheat themselves. I am for the most part pretty chill when gaming, and not too much gets me upset.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »
I like basing, when I can find my materials.  I truely believe a base can make or break a model.

Personally I hate highlighting.  Real pain in the rear sometimes.

~Andromidius
aka. Boris the Bear

Offline mr_mich

• I make it rain
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »
Personally I hate highlighting.  Real pain in the rear sometimes.
You're probably doing it wrong... ;D

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »
1 hour games that take 3 hours. I'm sure everyone knows the kind of players that extend games in this manner by arguing everything but the bloody color of the sky...

My philosophy: if you are new to the game and need the extra time to work through things, I am more than willling to take my time and have fun with you. If you call yourself an expert and you just want to spend 3 hours arguing with me because you got a few bad rolls, then please bend over backwards and continue the argument with your own arse.