News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2013 40kOnline Tournament - official signup thread  (Read 18508 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: 2013 40kOnline Tournament - official signup thread
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 04:53:04 AM »
Just had a read through the pack. The ADR rules are... interesting...
I'm sure they definitely won't be used to push a person's personal prejudice against a Codex.. ;)

Might be useful to submit a few lists early to get an idea of what scores highly. One man's theme or army full of cool looking models is another man's power gamey army of cheesey death..!

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 01:40:08 AM »
Ooh, rules pack. Now I can go book my hotel, as this is essentially an extra level of confirmation that yes, this is a thing that is happening.

Offline Oliver009

• Armies: Tau
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 05:26:11 PM »
So people have a rules pack?! Does that mean someone needs my e-mail address?

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 08:12:59 AM »
Just had a read through the pack. The ADR rules are... interesting...
I'm sure they definitely won't be used to push a person's personal prejudice against a Codex.. ;)

I can assure you that this won't be used in any such prejudicial manner.
It's just a new format on comp scoring that has enough flexibility to deal with the fluffy lists that can get dinged by a more rigid comp scoring system, and also means that you can turn up with a nasty list and still win... as long as you back yourself to beat all the other filth lists in the tournament too without getting any easy rides in the early rounds.

Obviously what we're looking to avoid here are triple heldrake lists, leafblowers with 3 full supporting vendetta squadrons, or anyone claiming Eldrad and 5 naked dire avengers is fluffy as an allied detachment for Grey Knights.
Each list will be looked at objectively by myself, Hymirl and a neutral third party whose identity will remain anonymous (at least until they've been recruited).

I assure you that no-one is going to get punished for using the wrong codex.
We just want the definition of friendly to be "everyone has a good time" rather than "I'm bringing filth, but I promise to shake your hand and smile cheerfully while I'm crushing you."

Offline Oliver009

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 01:34:43 PM »
And my question?

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
I assure you that no-one is going to get punished for using the wrong codex.
We just want the definition of friendly to be "everyone has a good time" rather than "I'm bringing filth, but I promise to shake your hand and smile cheerfully while I'm crushing you."

Hehe, understandable :D

Though, whereas you've said lists will be looked at objectively, the pack says subjectively...

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 05:00:00 PM »
Though, whereas you've said lists will be looked at objectively, the pack says subjectively...

typo?  ::)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2013, 03:14:41 AM »
And my question?

Fire over a pm and I'll be happy to email you the pack. Same goes to anyone else too...

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2013, 07:25:03 AM »
I'm objective! Seriously though, its not designed to penalise everyone it's there to help people play the kind of event they want to play, a game where you steamroller your opponent as you have a hardcore net list against something soft and fluffier than Agnes' unicorn isn't that much fun for either party. Hopefully we can reduce this in the random draw rounds.
Players looking for more competitive games get that kind of game, players looking to play themed armies against other themed armies can get that kind of game, we get a very mixed collection of players coming to this event so I think it's fair to cater for all.

In other news, the venue called me to say the hall we're using is closed for refubishment. So theyve given us access to their huge main school hall at no extra cost. It's real nice, gothic vaulted ceiling, a stage and everything, they hire this hall out for weddings!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
Sounds like quite the upgrade! :)

How is the sign up going, are there still many vacant slots?

Offline Oliver009

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 03:20:57 PM »
And my question?

Fire over a pm and I'll be happy to email you the pack. Same goes to anyone else too...
Don't worry. Killing time has sorted me out. Thanks anyway.

In other news, the venue called me to say the hall we're using is closed for refubishment. So theyve given us access to their huge main school hall at no extra cost. It's real nice, gothic vaulted ceiling, a stage and everything, they hire this hall out for weddings!

Oooh. An upgrade, nice.

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
I'm objective!

???

Heh, no I understand and approve fully of the intention. I just think it's hard to be objective about and to know where the lines are drawn. I could write up a 10 page history of every major engagement of my Necron aerial assault legion including individual call-signs, kill tallies & pilot traits caused by faulty programming. But to someone else that's just Nightscythe flyer spam and should be hit with a huge composition bat.

Also the phrase "known power codex" is concerning...

The Great hall at Bristol Grammar is pretty damn cool. :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 05:05:37 PM by Lorizael »

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
I'm objective! Seriously though, its not designed to penalise everyone it's there to help people play the kind of event they want to play, a game where you steamroller your opponent as you have a hardcore net list against something soft and fluffier than Agnes' unicorn isn't that much fun for either party. Hopefully we can reduce this in the random draw rounds.
Players looking for more competitive games get that kind of game, players looking to play themed armies against other themed armies can get that kind of game, we get a very mixed collection of players coming to this event so I think it's fair to cater for all.

I think the pack looks great, I'm planning on bringing a reasonably competitive but by no means out and out WAAC list and I do wonder how well it will cope with that as I'm not sure how many people will come with armies balanced in a similar fashion to mine, but the system seems likely to achieve that, and I think it's perfect for the 40KO tournament which is very definitely a mixed beast where this is concerned. I've never known anyone to come before who brought a more fluffy list and came up against a hard-core comp list to have enjoyed themselves as much as they could have and I think this is a great idea which more tournaments could do with using because I think it will make a far more substantive contribution to people's enjoyment than trying to "fix" the game with huge errata documents you have to comply with when list-writing.

Thumbs up here, really looking forward to the event, will pay this evening.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
I'm objective!

???

Heh, no I understand and approve fully of the intention. I just think it's hard to be objective about and to know where the lines are drawn. I could write up a 10 page history of every major engagement of my Necron aerial assault legion including individual call-signs, kill tallies & pilot traits caused by faulty programming. But to someone else that's just Nightscythe flyer spam and should be hit with a huge composition bat.

That's ok, I don't read fanfic anyhow! ;D

At the end of the day it won't actually make that big a deal, it's not like anyone gets penalty points or anything it's just 'less random' matchups to kick off with. I basically made up this comp system in the pub so I'm as interested as everyone else if it works or not.

I have no doubt some stuff will slip through, and someone will declare they're hard done by, no comp system is perfect and new codexes make it tricky to spot latest uber lists anyhow. But what it will prevent is things we've seen previously where people turn up with triple dreadknight lists and totally pound casual players in their first two games of the day.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #54 on: July 1, 2013, 04:51:50 AM »
The ADR rules were written with tongue firmly in cheek.
Try not to get over-worried about the wording. All we're really going to do is sit down and try our best to ensure everyone gets an appropriate match for their first couple of games; tough vs tough and fluff vs fluff.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #55 on: July 1, 2013, 07:20:25 AM »
I'm a big fan of the principle!

Although I will undoubtedly get the short end of the stick with the army I hope to be able to bring along... I don't want to share any more than that at this point in time - One of the big troubles I have is that I can play a WAAC army and am still pretty much bad enough to lose! (its odd though, cos my Tau which were traditionally definately not a WAAC army has a great winning record!)

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #56 on: July 1, 2013, 04:01:55 PM »
It'll all be cool on the day I'm sure :D

Have we opened up the event to non-forum goers yet?

Offline Killing Time

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #57 on: July 1, 2013, 05:18:13 PM »
Have we opened up the event to non-forum goers yet?

Yes

Offline 666_Mutley_666

• Mass debating - a filthy group habbit!
« Reply #58 on: July 5, 2013, 05:42:54 AM »
paid

you guna man up and fight me this year onik? :P
oink is a nancy!

Offline Koval, Master Verispex

• 40kOnline's Care Bear of Tanks | The Velvet Glove of Fated Tenderness and Ambition
  • Ancient
  • Well, that was unexpected...
  • Armies: Imperial Guard (Indelvian 190th Mechanised)
« Reply #59 on: July 7, 2013, 05:06:34 PM »
That's my hotel booked. Looking forward to August. :)