News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 - White Scars [?] - Assault Cannons, everywhere!  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
1500 - White Scars [?] - Assault Cannons, everywhere!
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »
So this was an idea list that kind of came together when I started looking at the Land Speeder Storm.

For the cost of a Razorback with a Heavy Bolter, you can have a Land Speeder Chassis, with an Assault Cannon, and a Cerberus Launcher. The CL can fire a pie plate that can *make it so your enemies can't see*. In rules form. ;) You can also scoot Scouts around. Being open topped, it allows easier assaults.

Add to this, the potential for a pre-game move to get you into range, or by embarking a Scout Squad, you can place it after your opponent, even outside of your deployment zone!

Given the Assault Cannon's profile, it's remarkably versatile, making it a great take all comers choice. Since I like TAC lists, it's a great fit.

255 - Chapter Master: Artificer Armour, Power Fist, SM Bike, Shield Eternal [Joins Bikes]
140 - Bike Squad [5]: 2x Grav Guns, Meltabombs

85 - Scout Squad [5]: Vet Sergeant, Power Sword, Melta Bombs
55 - Land Speeder Storm: Cerberus Launcher, Assault Cannon

85 - Scout Squad [5]: Vet Sergeant, Power Sword, Melta Bombs
55 - Land Speeder Storm: Cerberus Launcher, Assault Cannon

105 - Dreadnought: Twin-Linked Autocannon, Storm Bolter [5 pts short of an Assault Cannon :(]
35 - Drop Pod: Storm Bolter

205 - Terminator Squad [5]: 2x Chainfist, 1x Assault Cannon [Ride in LR Redeemer]

115 - Storm Talon Gunship: Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher

115 - Storm Talon Gunship: Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, Skyhammer Missile Launcher

250 - Land Raider Redeemer: Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, 2x Flamestorm Cannon, Frag Assault Launcher, Multi Melta

1500 - Total

Everything moves relatively quickly. The Redeemer needs to flat-out first turn, but that's an acceptable loss of firepower since I can still fire the Assault Cannons or MM at full BS. Probably won't have range for the Flamestorms anyhow.

Why "Tactical" Terminators? I've got the models. :) Also, with White Scars, I can H&R out of combat, to dump more shots into a target before charging back in. I'd try to avoid anything that circumvents their save, as best I can, anyhow.

I'm feeling like dropping the second Storm Talon, but not sure what to put in it's place. I could run an Assault Cannon Dread along with the Termie Raider... but that seems like a poor exchange. I'm open to suggestions.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: 1500 - White Scars [?] - Assault Cannons, everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
I agree that the second Storm Talon isn't great (that's a lot of firepower you don't have in the early turns). Maybe a second small bike squad, instead? You might be able to squeeze in two more Land Speeders with Assault Cannons (maybe--don't have the book on hand to check the points on that), which would fit with the theme well.

My major concern here is with the Scout Squads. Land Speeder Storms are super vulnerable as far as transports go (a stiff breeze blows them up). I love mine and I use it often, but I try not to invest too many points into it for just that reason. It always dies after it shoots once. It does typically deliver my scouts to fun and interesting places, though.

BTW: how are your scouts equipped? Shotguns are probably a good choice for a squad like that. I'm not overly sold on the CCW/BP set-up in this edition (they haven't done very well for me and they are better in the shooting phase overall). That said, with White Scars Tactics, they might be worth it. I'd still lean towards shotguns, though.

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:03 PM »
I like the idea of more Land Speeders. I'm pretty sure I could sub a Talon out for more of them, hopefully use them to screen the Scouts?

I wasn't sure between Shotties and BP / CCW. My first inclination was shotguns, but then I convinced myself that, with some incredible luck, I might shoot myself out of charge range. But then I realized that such a problem would probably be just as well, as I'd only be going after weak targets anyhow. And Shotties are good for the H&R... but BP / CCW would be better if I fail the R part. So while it would be one or the other, I'm not sure which. Since I want to eventually try other CT's, I'm trying to think of which setup would be best for other chapters. Sallies, for example, would probably want the BP / CCW, as their Sarge would take a Master Crafted PSword. I'm not sure. I want to like Shotguns, but my gut keeps steering back to BP / CCW.

I haven't used speeders since... 3rd edition, probably? I think one came with the box set that DE were introduced with? It has been a long time, anyhow. My friend often sprinkles one or two into a list, and they seem to either die horribly, or magically dodge, dip, duck, dive and dodge their way to the end of the game. I was hoping that with every special deployment rule available to them, that they would be able to set up somewhere relatively safe to launch a quick strike on something vulnerable. Hoping. :)

At work right now, so don't have a chance to check the points, but thanks for the idea on the extra speeders!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:04:23 PM »
When I use an LSS, I run it with 5 Scouts (they used to have BP/CCW, but now I'm going for Bolters, as I'm Fists and I may as well) with a Vet Sarge w/Power Weapon, Meltabombs. I don't equip the LSS with anything other than its stock Heavy Bolter (though now that their BS is improved, a Multimelta is tempting, as is the heavy flamer).

Here's how it usually goes: I have something else in the list that is getting most of the attention (encroaching Land Raider, a drop-podded squad or Dread, etc.) and I put the LSS somewhere out of the way. Their job (pretty much their only job) is to score a point. I don't care what point, but a point. Linebreaker is usually the easiest one. First Blood (if I can ambush a transport or something). They almost never are up to the challenge of Warlord. They often score a little objective somewhere.

The LSS itself drops off its cargo and then cruises around doing zero damage and being ignored or being immediately shot down by whatever pays attention to it. It's a reasonable harassment unit, though it never does wonders.

Scouts in CC are fairly poor (though they are back to their 4th Ed WS/BS, so that's something) thanks to their mediocre armor save and their lack of numbers. I have found in recent editions that I wished they had better shooting rather than scaling for assault (in the 5th Ed codex, with the effect of the Cerberus, it made sense to kit for assault. Now, the only thing I'm likely to assault are vehicles, and they don't need CCWs for that).

Your mileage may vary, but I think shotguns will serve you better in the long run. You can still charge and have, ultimately, the same number of attacks. With the shotgun, however, you do more damage up front before the enemy has a chance to hit back or fire overwatch. Then again, I have spent many years playing against Eldar, Dark Eldar, and other Marines, so I was pretty much never getting in first strike except against IG.