News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Escalation match tomorrow. Round 1. 750 and 1000 points.  (Read 600 times)

Offline Galadian122

• Ork Yoof
  • Steam Roller.
Escalation match tomorrow. Round 1. 750 and 1000 points.
« on: October 7, 2011, 12:37:38 AM »
Playing an escalation match tomorrow. At least round 1 of it. :p

I haven't posted in the Guard section in awhile since someone read my army list here prior to a game. Since the person(s) that did that are not playing with our gaming group tomorrow, I will post away! The prize is a $100 gift card to a local shop. Since I need more models for my Chaos army, I hope to win!

There will be a couple of us and I already know what armies will be making a turn out, simply because I know the players. I'll be playing Guard. There will also be Blood Angels, Chaos, Daemons, orks, and ??? The other two guys switch off between Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Nids. At 750 I know I can't make a super versatile list, but I sure can try. Opponents are picked out of a hat and I'll be playing 2 games before moving up to 1,000. Two worst players get eliminated and won't be there for round 2.

List 1- 750 points
HQ
Primaris Psyker 70 points

Troops
Infantry platoon- 225
Command squad
4 flamers
Chimera

Infantry squad
autocannon
Infantry squad
autocannon

Veteran Squad- 170
3 melta guns, power fist, shotguns
Chimera

Fast attack
Sentinel- 50
lascannon

Sentinel- 50
lascannon

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Demolisher- 185
Heavy bolter sponsons

The first round of gaming is on 4x4 tables.
The idea is for my infantry squads to pop open enemy transports with their ACs. The Primaris, with the Vets, will be my close combat squad. I'm hoping that the 3 melta shots will be enough to severely wound any large creature/tank or put a sizeable dent into a mean close combat unit before the charge. The PCS will pop up and hopefully fry the living daylights out of any light infantry unit it happens to get close to, as well as grabbing objectives with the vets.
Since the tables are so small I'm bringing the Leman Russ Demolisher. Its lack of range should be negated and it packs a huge wallop in tough nut. The sentinels are used with discretion. I have the ability to outflank them if I want to, but I won't know until I face my opponent.

The second half will be a 1,000 point game. My list doesn't change much. There might be some time constraints and it might get canceled.

HQ
Primaris Psyker- 70

Troops
Infantry platoon- 150
Command squad
Infantry squad
autocannon
Infantry squad
autocannon

Veteran Squad- 200
3 melta guns, power fist, shotguns, carapace armor
Chimera

Fast attack
Vendetta Gunship- 130

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Demolisher- 185
Heavy bolter sponsons

Leman Russ
Plasma cannon sponsons-190

Hydra flak tank- 75

This list pretty much just sees the inclusion of some more tanks. Its the same strategy as before except the PCS is now in the vendetta to make it a scoring unit. The Vendetta will take care of any vehicles or marines that it sees. The hydra and ISs shoot open enemy transports and monstrous creatures. The two Russ tanks pound the crap out of any infantry that gets out. The plasma cannons on the regular russ are great at knocking down multiwound models and their retinues, as well as frying more marines
The vets with the psyker are again my assault unit. I gave them carapace armor to sorta increase their survivability, but mostly just because I had the extra points.

Any advice or things you'd change? I've got about 24 hours to make any alterations.

Updated with points costs! :o

Please use the modify button in the future instead of double posting a one line response, it exist for your pleasure. Enjoy! :)
« Last Edit: October 8, 2011, 10:13:34 AM by Warhammer WHM-8D Man »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Escalation match tomorrow. Round 1. 750 and 1000 points.
« Reply #1 on: October 7, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
^ My bad. What I meant was to try to get the lists to fit on one page, for example, my suggested changes...

CDX - Primaris Psyker

105 - PCS: 4x Flamer, Chimera

65 - IS: Autocannon, GL

65 - IS: Autocannon, GL

170 - Vets: Power Fist, 3x Meltagun, Shotties, Chimera

40 - Scout Sentinel: Autocannon

50 - Scout Sentinel: Lascannon

180 - LR Demolisher: Lascannon

745 - Total

As to comments on the first list... I'd take a Lascannon on the Demo over HB's. Similar function to the main gun in terms of tank hunting, and similar strength and AP when it comes to taking on infantry. This tank will probably be on the move a fair bit, so sponsons will tend to go unused anyway.

I have LC's on my sentinels, due to them being better in the last codex. Now, they kind of suck. As such, I'd recommend going with Autocannons... add HK's for added punch if you're worried. You're better off with that load out, especially if you outflank them.

I'd find a way to get GL's into those IS's.

The Primaris doesn't fit terribly well with the Vets, and his leadership boost would probably be better in an infantry squad. The large number of mid-strength shots fits much better with a GL / AC setup than with Meltaguns.

One other option would be to change the Flamer PCS into a Melta PCS, if your metagame features lots of heavy vehicles... heavy flamers on your Chimeras should help to offset the loss of the PCS's flamers if you choose to go this route. :) In that case, you could definately drop the LC from the 2nd Sentinel to make up some points, or even drop down to Multi-lasers on the Sentinels.

Offline Galadian122

• Ork Yoof
  • Steam Roller.
Re: Escalation match tomorrow. Round 1. 750 and 1000 points.
« Reply #2 on: October 8, 2011, 02:44:39 AM »
I ended up playing tonight before I could check out your suggestions. I played against a jet bike Eldar army, an Ork horde, and half a game vs. Space Wolves. I didn't go up to 1,000 points tonight since we ran out of time. The game against the Space Wolves was out of boredom since we were both finished.

I also don't understand your comment on being one page. My whole list as well as part of the second one shows up on my monitor without scrolling. ???

For a few brief battle reports:

Against the Orks I pretty well creamed them. This might've had to do with the fact that I got first turn. They had maybe 70 infantry models on the board and a few light vehicles. My autocannon guardsmen shot up the light vehicles. My sentinels, who deployed in my deployment zone, failed to do anything. I managed to stun a looted wagon once. ;) 
Highlights:
-A unit of outflanking commandos ripped one of my infantry squads to shreds since they were deployed in a corner. The commandos failed to do anything afterwards since they came in late and there wasn't much left on the board.
-He declared a Waaaaargh and rolled a 1 for the Warboss and his squad of boys. They came up short and got shot up by the vets chimera, killing 2 boys. Then the vets unloaded with shotguns, meltas, and the shooting psychic power (lightning arc? I don't have my codex handy) killing another 8. They charged the Warboss and the remaining handful of boys and wiped them out. The Primaris force weaponed the Warboss resulting in an instant death.
-My PCS dropped 6 flamer templates on a unit of boys it decided to tank shock and wiped them out.

I lost one IS and a few veterans. Thats it. I'd consider it a resounding victory.

Against Eldar
He had 3 squads of jet bikes, a vyper with bright lance, autarch with fusion pistol on bike, and a warlock with enhance on a bike. He also had a fire prism.
I did fairly well here as well due to some lucky early rolls. We ended on Turn 3 due to the Eldar player resigning. I lost an IS, a sentinel, and some vets. He lost most of his army. Again my sentinels did nothing except to provide a cover save. I rarely hit with the lascannon.  :(
I deployed my demolisher at the edge of my deployment and I scouted a sentinel to block the LOS for the Eldar player. One of my chimeras also blocked LOS from the side.
He got first turn and moved everything up and fired shuriken cannons which stunned a sentinel and bounced off the side armor of a Chimera. The bright lance fired at the front armor of my Russ which had a cover save from the sentinel and passed. It got saved from certain destruction! The fire prism fired on my Russ as well but failed to penetrate its armor.
My first turn I pretty much hunkered down. I fired with the Russ and wiped out the autarch (who was stupidly by himself) with the big pie plate of doom. The heavy bolters tore up the nearby jetbike squad leaving one two survivors who were killed by the regular infantry. The vyper suffered a weapon destroyed result after being fired at from my remaining IS and the Vets chimera.
Turn two he moved closer and I moved up. I knocked a few more jet bikes out of the sky and destroyed the vyper. A round of shooting wiped out one of my IS and the Eldar used their assault move to back up 6". Turn 3 saw the destruction of the other Jet Bike squad by my veterans shooting. I fired on the Warlock and his squad and killed most of them. This left about 3 bikes, including the Warlock, as well as the Fire Prism left. The Eldar player conceded the battle.

Against Space Wolves:
Grey Hunters carrying meltas in Rhinos and Razor backs with heavy bolters and lascannons. Wolf guard battle leader. Smattering of power weapons all round.
We played a few turns. Flamer PCS got toasted by a twin linked lascannon. The survivors didn't last much longer. Sentinels again did nothing except for destroying a razorback. Lucky explosion killed 5 marines and a wound on the battle leader. ;D  The ISs popped open a few transports whose occupants were quickly quashed by the demolisher. Angry marines killed a sentinel and assaulted a squad of infantry who were promptly wiped out. (Surprise?)
Veterans disembarked, unloaded their weapons, and assaulted a 6 man squad of Hunters. They won the combat again for 3 casualties.

We called it a draw. All I had left at the end was a gunless sentinel, a half strength IS, my depleted vets and their chimera, and a stunned demolisher. He had about a dozen marines with 3 meltas between them, as well as his battle leader.