News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: newbie needs help!  (Read 463 times)

Offline GKT_sand

• Newest
newbie needs help!
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:00:22 PM »
i currently only have 1 army, and that is ogres in warhammer fantasy. I have always wanted to play chaos (40k) and what better time than with the new codex out! but there is one thing i cannot decide: whether or not to do nurgle (feel no pain) or slannesh (awesome weaponary and cool psycic powers). please help!
The voices in my head dont like you.

Offline Dark Pariah

• I got an Awful Custom Title for Arguing with a Mod
  • For Volscan! For Blood! For Chaos!
Re: newbie needs help!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 08:45:15 PM »
I have been a follower of Nurgle for 4 years now, with the new codex I must say I'm impressed at how the fallen legions, DG, WE, TS, EC have changed, making a decision based on these is not going to be easy. I will still play as Death Guard and find them to be the most resiliant basic trooper in the game.

It really depends on the style of play you want, rock hard resiliant marines that can get back up after severe damage or high initiative troops with some of the best assualt weapon upgrades available to them.

My suggestion would be to organise a few proxy games with someone you know, so that you can get the feel for both armies. Tactically and stat wise they are very different and only you can really make this decision.

But if I had to give you advice, go for Death Guard!

Dark Pariah
Need advice on a scratch build? PM me, I may be able to help.

Builder of all things chaos- Warhound Titan, Harbinger Bomber, Lord,
Stuff.

Offline GKT_sand

• Newest
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »
i dont know. nurgle is pretty great since they are even more resillient than before (i got a look at the new codex), yet slaanesh has always been the quickest in combat, and now they have better WS and improved ranged weaponary!
The voices in my head dont like you.

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 05:01:45 AM »
To put it simply, instead of hearing everyones opinion, it is something that you really are going to have to figure out on your own.  If Nurgle stands out the most to you then that is a good bet to go with.  Nurgle is the most popular legion but if you do not want to be the "Norm" then you could go with Tzeentch as they are the least used and most challenging Legion, or at least that is the case currently in 3rd edition.  Either Legion you go with will field smaller amounts of models and units, thats they way it is when you are specialized.

Nurgle- Resilient
Tzeentch- Psych
Khorne- CC guru
Slaanesh- Initiative and a little bit of greatness in everything if you ask me

Also, if a budget is limiting you, then you may want to consider what it is going to cost you.  As of right now, it is expensive financially to field a Slaanesh army with a lot of special sonic weaponry, that is unless they are going to make a new sprue with the upcoming releases.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline Xeal

• Nothing says free time, like modifying an avatar.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:23:21 AM »
Essestially, my opinion is look at the basics, with cult troops being so expensve, you are probably going to want to have at least some ordinary chaos warriors with the mark of slannesh or Nurgle.

My advice would be buy the codex, make an mock army list or two and just find someone who will let you use your ogre models, after a few quick 500 points games you will have some better idea of which you'd prefare to have.

Other option is of course is if you want a pure army or not.  If you don't mind then you could build an undivided army (or allied force) containg both nurgle and slannesh marked units and cult troops.  Once you get around 2000 points you should have a core of both slannesh and Nurgle units, from this you can begin to expand into creating two sperate armies one to nurgle and one to slannesh.