News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW not doing so well?  (Read 10502 times)

Offline FunnyTom

• The pain device causes us pain - SO MUCH PAIN.
GW not doing so well?
« on: January 9, 2007, 07:46:17 AM »
Hi guys, I was reading some stuff on dakka dakka while these forums were down, and I found this thread:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/Forums/tabid/56/forumid/6/postid/131720/view/topic/Default.aspx

which in particular refers to this report thingy:

http://investor.games-workshop.com/investor_relations/financial_results/Results2007/Interims/default.htm

Now the question that I have to ask is how bad is this news for GW?  Is it just a minor problem or a real emergency for GW (and potentially, us gamers)? 

Offline Inquisitor Kryptman

• Now all he needs is a pony
Re: GW not doing so well?
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »
Did you not know that the only profit we know GW has is the profit it can't hide. The same goes for all bis business. They don't want to pay tax. Simple as that. That is just theory. But makes sense, GW isn't about bringing us games and models to play them with. They're about Profit. And if not showing the hidable profit means more profit, then it will be hid.
No. I will not get Halo 3.

I will get multiple copies of Halo 3, to help with the mass of wear and tear the discs will suffer during my several month long orgy of Halo 3.

Quote from: Dyrad
Serouisly though, who doesn't walk into a bar flaunting the fact that they play 40K?

"Hey baby, can I roll to penetrate your armor?" Works everytime...

Offline Apocalyp$e

• Fight the Future
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2007, 06:45:39 PM »
Haha the funny thing is that as i check the stocks, they're currently having their biggest single drop in almost exactly 1 year:
http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GAW.L&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

Offline grim_reaper46

« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2007, 10:24:55 PM »
its been rising.

Offline Craftworld Altansar

« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2007, 10:53:15 PM »
i got a question

what do u think will happen to the community if GW goes bankrupt

stores will close, indpendent retailers will run out of stuff, games nights at these retailers will be cancelled

no new models

no new rules

everything will remain as broken as it currently is

my vote is that the mods of this forum should revise the rules, and everyone will have to get really good at converting lol
my armies:

eldar - 2000 pt mech
Uruk Hai - 750 pt
WFB wood elves - 1500 pt
Space marines - soon to be 1000 pt drop pod

Offline skalnok

• i like harlequins they make me laugh
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2007, 10:57:23 PM »
i have to agree with alansar  although im sure i could gte better at converting lol

and he forgot one thing.these forums might close to .... THE HORROR
98% of the weed smokers on this site bug the 2% non-smokers on this site about why they should.  Maybe the 98% should lighten up, go smoke one and leave us to our choices.

"OMG, did you see that, the big melty thingy melted bob, OMG it's walking this way.  OH DEAR GREATER GOOD, RUN!"

If I eat your brain, do I gain your talen

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2007, 11:13:46 PM »
ZOMG!!! 40k online will NOT close! just wont OK?!?!? :D

Seriously though i dont thinkg GW will go bankrupt. If it does we will all just have our lives back :D
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline skalnok

• i like harlequins they make me laugh
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2007, 11:28:55 PM »
i havent had a life in a while ... what are they like and what should i do when i get one back ....( joke)

hmm i guess ill be pretty sad cuz ive been playing for 9 years now ... thats about half my life ...
98% of the weed smokers on this site bug the 2% non-smokers on this site about why they should.  Maybe the 98% should lighten up, go smoke one and leave us to our choices.

"OMG, did you see that, the big melty thingy melted bob, OMG it's walking this way.  OH DEAR GREATER GOOD, RUN!"

If I eat your brain, do I gain your talen

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 02:14:10 AM »
We commented on this a while ago. From the last fiscal year to this one that's currently going, they had a 70% drop in profits. That's...obscene, and yet at the AGM the GM announced that all was well, because he's a stupid prick. It's all gone a bit Enron: there is no bad news. You come along with bad news, you're fired
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:20 AM »
everything will remain as broken as it currently is

my vote is that the mods of this forum should revise the rules, and everyone will have to get really good at converting lol

It´s not so much the supposedly broken rules that are responsible for this situation. It´s the high cost of their (GW) products. Take a look at the age of the buyers that GW is aiming for nowadays. It must be 13 to 16. You can see this if you take a look at the development the WD has taken.
Problem is that these young players don´t have enough money to buy too many models which in turn results in fairly bad profits on behalf of GW.

My bet is most people with large armies or those that own more than two armies are adults with a job that allows them to collect and play this game.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:49:59 AM »
According to an articl;e I read the other day on the matter, they reported only £100k net profit. Which isn't good...

BUT, they themselves then said they know what's wrong, "bad habits etc" and that they're fixing them atm, and more effore and time will be going into |WHFB and 40k again.

And on a related note, I bought WD for the first time in about a year, and I must say I think the quality has gone back up again. :)

Whatever they're doing, they should keep doing it.
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 04:10:57 AM »
A lot of readers seem to think differently on this. Also, I wonder how much money people pay for GW products on ebay? Would be interesting to find out.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline rax

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 05:43:28 AM »
Quote from: tryanotherone
A lot of readers seem to think differently on this. Also, I wonder how much money people pay for GW products on ebay? Would be interesting to find out.

As a personal rule, I never pay more than 80% of the GW price on eBay, even if the models are new and still sealed in their box. That's including postage to Sweden, since 99% of my purchases are from the States or the UK. Since I only buy small lots, about 40-50% (on average) of the price I pay consists of postage, so I often get brand new models for  less than half the GW price. I never buy anything except bit parts for conversions directly from GW.

Cheers - Rax
Death spinners. Because size does matter.

Offline Cypher037

• Support your LGS! Don't buy online or from GWs.
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 06:58:04 AM »
BUT, they themselves then said they know what's wrong, "bad habits etc"
*cough*lordoftherings*cough*

when will their contract end?!
-Leo
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 07:00:48 AM by Cypher19 »
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism."
- Hermann Goering (Nazi)

So it goes.

fnord

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 06:58:12 AM »
GW are generally doing just fine. They are on the level they were before LotR. They had a huge boost in sales and marketing when the movies were out, and back then, their stock was on the rise.

Now, interrest for LotR has dropped dramatically, yet GW are still obligated to keep producing LotR until 2010 I belive.

GW aren't doing bad at all, it just doesn't look very good in comparison to the LotR fever.

Offline [-Nero-]

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 10:57:52 AM »
GW aren't doing bad at all, it just doesn't look very good in comparison to the LotR fever.

That's good. I just get into the hobby and see a thread about GW declining. Not a good thing.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:53:36 AM »
Just to say that although GW only made an estimated £100K profit on a turnover of some £51m, they are one of very few retailers in the UK at the moment to make a profit at all.

The UK retail market at the moment is in a very steep decline, with many companies making huge losses year on year, especially in comparison to online shopping. Although there has been a small increase in year on year sales for the UK market in the post Christmas Sales many companies are reporting no growth whatsoever.

In short, for a UK company to announce a profit at this time should not be taken lightly, even if it is only a small one.

The other thing to notice with regards to GW is that on a turnover of £51m they have a profit margin of 70%, possibly the highest of any high street retailer. The reason they are only announcing small profits is that they have invested huge sums of money into their Esatate (new stores) and their product line (new plastics, new Warhammer).

This means that they do not have to give back huge chunks of their sales profits back to their shareholders as dividends, and means that they can invest the last remaining dregs of the LOTR cash cow into creating new technologies (CAD plastic tooling) and setting up better supply chain and widen their store base. They know that they will not have the money for this when the LOTR bursts (if it hasn't already) so they are pouring all their profits into the company while they can.

In short, this means that they know they have neglected their core customers by concentrating too much on new gamers and the Lord of the Rings license, but know that this license (which they invested huge sums of money into) is about to expire. This I think means that we can look forward to a brighter future. ;D

It's just a shame that the share price has dropped by nearly 10%, as I have quite a few of the buggers!! :'(
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 12:05:43 PM »
Several things to consider:
1. Computer Games
2. Changes in the entertainment sector as a whole
3. New gamers
4. Growth

1. After the news came out (and the 15% drop in one day) Radio4 did a discussion (much like after Airfix crumbled) on will video games kill minature gaming. And after debates with my godfather (who works with stocks and shares) the problem revolves around DoW. For all of the DoW games (to buy them all) will set you back around £120 and offer you plenty of 40k armies. Whereas its hard to collect a 40k army for less than £200. And you can mod the games to your hearts extent.
2. The entertainment sector has changed, CDs are cheaper, DVDs cost almost pittance now. In Canada you can get 3 cds for $20, and when one box of Space Marines costs $50 - its easy to see who wins. Also more rivals are appearing - SST:Evo and BF:Evo offer the basic rules free online - despite a rulebook will be released - and high quality prepainted minatures - with the rules for the squad included.
3. New gamers - from younger ages - find it hard to start. You need the army book  - £25 then to buy a vast number of models, paint, modelling tools etc - the works. That is not cheap, or quick, most people want instant videogame gratification. And the prices make many parents think a lot more than twice before buying. What do dealers do to start you off? give you free drugs.
4. Growth: in the UK at £0.6m,AUS $0.3m and the US of $0.3m - these are poor growth figures and suggest that we could even see a masive lack of gamers in future years.

Kirby is window dressing GW, and paying a dividided to cheer up shareholders - and himself. As he owns 6.8% of GW
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline [-Nero-]

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
1. After the news came out (and the 15% drop in one day) Radio4 did a discussion (much like after Airfix crumbled) on will video games kill minature gaming. And after debates with my godfather (who works with stocks and shares) the problem revolves around DoW. For all of the DoW games (to buy them all) will set you back around £120 and offer you plenty of 40k armies. Whereas its hard to collect a 40k army for less than £200. And you can mod the games to your hearts extent.
2. The entertainment sector has changed, CDs are cheaper, DVDs cost almost pittance now. In Canada you can get 3 cds for $20, and when one box of Space Marines costs $50 - its easy to see who wins. Also more rivals are appearing - SST:Evo and BF:Evo offer the basic rules free online - despite a rulebook will be released - and high quality prepainted minatures - with the rules for the squad included.

However, on the flipside, (and likely rare cases) it was DoW that finally made me start up. I had planned on it for years. Never did. I got Dark Crusade and it finally flipped the switch on me, and I decided to go for it.

It would be nice if GW would expand to my city though  :D

Offline Roy

• Infinity Circuit - Harbinger of the Dark Millenium
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
Besides, a game of DoW is nothing compared to true tabletop action.

At least for me, I play Eldar, and the Eldar fo DoW are nothing at all like the tabletop Eldar. They are terribly done in DoW.