News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 pts Black Templars vs Tyranids  (Read 1167 times)

Offline Major Arah

• Major
  • Don't think that arrows are outdated
2000 pts Black Templars vs Tyranids
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
Marshall Krixus surveyed the battlefield before him. The Tyranid forces had grown since they had decimated the forward defenses of  Valsreen a few days prior. He hoped that the souls of the men of the Voldarian 48th had found their piece. Now the Tyranids had advanced to the suburbs of Valsreen. Imperial forces were now fighting in the suburbs attempting to halt the Tyranid advance.

Marshall Krixus spoke as single order as the Tyranid hordes advanced, “Make ready my brothers. These heathen aliens shall not sully the glory of this city with their blasphemous existence!”

Game Type: Seize Ground (5 Objectives)
Deployment: Spearhead

Tyranid Army

HQ

Hive Tyrant (T1)
-Scything Talons
-Rending Claws
-(preferred enemy thing)
-Toxic Miasma
-The Horror

Hive Tyrant (T2)
-Venom Cannon
-Warp Field
-Scything Talons
-Tyrant Guard

Elites

2 x Lictors (L1 and L2)

Carnifex (C1)
-Scything Talons
-Other stuff I can’t remember

6 x Warriors (W)

Troops

Spine Gaunts (SG)
-without number

2 x Devourer Gaunts (DG 1and DG2) (???)

Hormagaunts (HG)

Ripper Swarm (RS)

2 x Genestealers (G1 and G2)

Heavy Support

Carnifex (C2)
-Crushing Claws
-Tusked
-Scything Talons

2 x Biovores

2 x Zoanthropes (Z1 and Z2)

Tyranid Deployment:
Marshall Krixus observed as the Tyranid swarm seemed to organize itself.

Ok his deployment goes as so. He deploys in a semi circle shape forced by the limit of proximity to the middle. So his spine gaunts, hormagaunts , and ripper swarms form a shield in front of his main force attempting to take the middle of the table. Behind them are T2, C1, and Z1. G1 is to his rear moving diagonally to sweep into my flank.

To the back of his deployment zone are his biovores

His second force comprises of HG, W, Z2, and C1 going down his long board edge.

G2, L1 and L2 deep strike and outflank

Black Templar Army

HQ

Marshall (M)
-Terminator Armour
-Admantium Mantle
-Thunder Hammer
-Storm Shield
-Terminator Command Squad: 2 Assault Cannons

Emperor’s Champion (EC)
-Accept the Challenge No Matter the Odds

Elites

Venerable Dreadnought (VD)
-Assault Cannon
-Heavy Flamer

Troops

2 x 10 Man Crusader Squads (CS1 and CS2)
-Bolt Pistol and Close Combat Weapon
-Flamer
-Power Fist

1 x 9 Man Crusader Squad (CS3)
-Bolt Pistol and Close Combat Weapon
-Flamer
-Power Fist

3 x 8 Man Crusader Squads (CS4, CS5, and CS6)
-Bolters
-Lascannon
-Plasmagun

Fast Attack

2 x Land Speeder Typhoon (LST 1 and LST 2)
-Heavy Bolter
-Typhoon Missile Launcher

Heavy Support

2 x Vindicators (V1 and V2)

Black Templar Deployment

Marshall Krixus ordered his men into positions ensuring that all fire lanes were open and that the close combat squads had clear access to the advancing hordes.

My main force consisted of my V1, V2, CS1(led by EC), CS2, CS4, LST1, LST2, M, and VD attempting to halt his main force advancing across the middle. M was put to the leftmost flank in order to intercept his T1 and CS2.

CS3 and CS5 was at the rear of my lines attempting to shift across towards his long board edge and intercept his secondary force’s advance.

CS6 was just behind my main lines on top of a building to snipe the incoming synapse.

Marshall Krixus laughed as the Tyranids attempted to form up before him, he easily seized the initiative from them.

I took first turn after making him deploy first by seizing the initiative (very very lucky of me)

Objectives
Marshall Krixus observed that there was one of the main objective just behind the Tyranid lines from where they came (O1). Another one was to the left flank of the Tyranids (O2). One was in the middle of the battlefield (O3), the fighting would be fiercest here. One was behind his own lines (O4) and the last one was to his right flank (O5).

Turn 1

Black Templars
Moved my Vindicators around to prevent giving the enemy cover saves. Moved CS3 and CS5 towards O5. M moved around a bit as well to get a better shot at CS2. Moved LST 1 towards O2 in order to get a better shot. Rest of the line held firm.

Opened fire with everything. Managed to almost wipe out SG. Killed a Tyrant Guard. Lascannons miss. And CS3 and CS5 run towards O5.

Marshall Krixus smiled as he watched his men open fire in a single coordinated move. Demolisher shells landed in the midst of the smaller xenos turning them to a pulp. The Typhoon Missiles streaked towards the Tyranid lines leaving white contrails in their wake smashing into the Tyranids killing even more of them.

Tyranids
Moves and runs most of his army towards mine.

Zoanthrope warp blasts CS1 taking out 3 Marines. Bio Acid Spore Mines land near my tanks.

The Tyranids advanced towards Marshall Krixus’ men running towards them. He knew the battle had been joined, but trusted his men to hold firm and beat back the treacherous tide. He watched helplessly as he saw as one of the Tyranids used its foul warpcraft to kill the brave men of his Crusade. He vowed to bring it low.

Objectives:

Me 2 Him 2 Contested 1

Turn 2

Black Templars
Once again moved CS3 and CS5 to secure O5 and make ready for the Tyranid onslaught. VD moved closer towards the front to lend its fire to the line squads. M advances towards C2 and the rest of his flanking force. CS1 advanced down the middle towards the oncoming gaunts.

Fired once again with practically everything. Succeeded in withering the DG’s to one man. CS1 flamers the SG’s and kills 4 bugs. M fires at the C2 and takes off a wound. V1 and V2 again fire into the Gaunts. Succeed in wounding a Tyrant Guard and killing about half the rippers. And wounding Z1. CS3 takes a wound of Z1.

CS1 assaults and finishes off the SG.

Once more Marshall Krixus watched the divine fury of the Emperor fly from the blessed weapons of his men. Seeing the Emperors Champion hack down the beasts, Krixus yearned for the glory of close combat, his wish would soon be granted.

Tyranids
His army once again moves as it has been moving. C2 attempts to steer clear of M as T2 moves up to support it. HG and DG2 also move into support C2 and T2. RS moves into charging range of C2. SG reappear and assist in his flank attack hoping to seize O5. L1 arrives and decides to stay near my Terminators out of charge range this turn. At this point he no longer has any troops in his home objective

Z1 and Z2 Warp Blast C2 reducing them to 3 men. SG takes down two of CS5, the ensuing failed leadership test allows me to run away from them to prevent a charge this turn.

RS assaults CS2. I win combat losing 1 man him losing 2 of the 6 bases. W charges CS3. I lose combat and take a total of 4 wounds ouch to rending. He loses one 2 warriors.

Marshall Krixus felt the righteous hatred burn within him as more of his men fell beneath the blows of the vile alien scum. He vowed to avenge their deaths.

Objectives:

Me 1 Him 1 Contested 2

Turn 3

Black Templars
M moves towards C2 and T1. CS1 pulls back to support M but still out of charge range of L1. CS5 moves back towards the beleaguered CS3. VD moves up to support CS2 and beat down the RS. V1 and V2 pull back to prevent monstrous creatures from targeting them.

Shooting again. Missiles kill more of DG2. Ordnance is horrible as lines of sight are now blocked by all the close combats. Manage to take a wound of Z2 I think. M takes off another wound from C2. Rest of shooting is abysmal. Mainly due to all the combats occurring.
M assaults C2. Kills it at the cost of one terminator ( I made like 3 5++ saves and a 4++ win!). CS5 assaults the warriors and attempts to help out CS3. Warriors are reduced to 2 men and CS3 reduced to powerfist and one other initiate. VD and CS2 defeat RS with 2 men surviving from CS2.

Now that the battle was truly joined, Marshall Krixus faced down on of the towering Tyranid monstrosities. With brute force and no finesse he beat it to the ground with repeated blows from his Thunder Hammer as he deflected its blows with his Storm Shield. It fell with its head no longer existent and the rest of its body caved in and shattered.

Tyranids
Angered by the loss of C2 the rest of the flanking force diverted to me. C1, HG, L1 and DG2. L2 arrives and moves to assist the Tyranid Warriors. The monstrous creatures, all that remain of his main force move towards my lines. G2 arrives on my long edge.

G1 assaults a T1 which I foolishly forgot to move. Luckily they only manage to shake it. G2 assaults CS4 and reduce it to a man. They take no casualties in return. L2 and W reduce CS3 to the powerfist guy. SG join the fray and take out 4 of CS5 (I think some of which were killed by L2). In retaliation L is killed and some gaunts from SG are killed. Combat tied. T1, HG, L1 assault terminators. Between them another two terminators fall(insane luck). Retaliation sees the destruction of T1.

It seemed as if the Tyranids were asking to fall beneath Marshall Krixus’ Thunder Hammer, he welcomed them. One of the leader creatures stepped over the body of the dispatched monstrosity roaring. Behind it followed swarms of its smaller slave species scuttling towards Marshall Krixus and his men. Roaring prayers to the Emperor Marshall Krixus and his squad met the charge. In the end two more of the Sword Brethren fell before the alien tide but glory was won when Marshall Krixus dispatched the leader best, its broken body joining that of its vile kin.

Objectives
Me 1 Him 1 Contested 2

Turn 4

Black Templars

With everything in the assault and nothing much to do there was almost no movement or shooting though I moved the remnants of CS2 towards the remaining man of CS4. VD moves to intercept G1 as LST1 moved away from them. CS1 moves to support M.

VD flames and assault cannons 5 of the genestealers of G1. Curse being out of range for the flamer to have full effect, that and he was in a conga line kinda thing. Vindicators still useless and retreating. Nothing to shoot at that wasn’t in combat for them. Lascannon from CS6 kills the remaining Tyrant Guard.

In the assault phase VD assaults G1 taking down 2 genestealers and losing the assault cannon in return. CS1 with the help from the EC kills L1. I lose one more terminator from M and only Marshall Krixus is left to beat the nids down with his Thunder Hammer. Combat tied I think. CS5 and CS3 manage to take down more gaunts from SG. SG claw down one more marine. I ignore the Warriors, stupidly enough.

The battle seemed to be drawing to a halt. The Tyranid tide seemed to have been stymied as most of the agents of the Hive Mind seemed to be destroyed leaving only their weakling sub species to do the fighting. Only a few of the monstrosities remained. Marshall Krixus saw that victory could still be had.

Tyranids
This is the only turn that the spore mines do anything. One cluster lands right on top of CS1 wiping them out to two men and the EC. T2 moves to assist G1 and try to destroy VD in assault.

No more shooting other than the spore mines.

Assault sees Marshall Krixus beating off the endless hordes of gaunts though not killing enough as they were still in synapse range. My EC is killed as the HG all target him and I fail to save the only two wounds they inflict (luck ended I guess). CS3 and CS5 kill of the L2. Funnily enough between the genestealers of G1 and Hive Tyrant T1 VD only manages to lose of his weapons but is not destroyed (oh yea). G2 finishes off CS2

As Marshall Krixus was bashing away at the smaller creatures attempting to fight his way through to the last synapse creature on his sector of the battlefield a call came through the vox. “Hail Marshall! This is Inquisitor Algammon speaking. Your efforts have been recognized, but a greater battle awaits you. You must withdraw to the walls of Valsreen. More of the Tyranids are arriving and we do not wish you and your men to be lost to them. Pull back now.Yyour sacrifices have not been in vain. Your efforts here have not only helped to slow the advance long enough for the rest of the forces to regroup, but the data you managed to retrieve from the listening post will help us greatly to deal with the Tyranids in the battles to come. You have 20 minutes to withdraw, after which orbital strikes from the Imperial Navy will fall from the heavens, try not to be late...”

Marshall Krixus grunted a reluctant approval and ordered his men to withdraw. Thunder Hawks descended from the skies and provided covering fire as the Templars disengaged. Marshall Krixus looked back down onto the battlefield as the Thunder Hawks sped away. This was not over yet...

Objectives:
Me 1 Him 1 Contested 2

Well at that point my opponent had to leave. My home objective was still firmly in my control, ask the full crusader squad and two Vindicators if you had any doubts. He took the middle objective as my Marshall and lone man from CS1 were too far away. My venerable dreadnought contested O2. His home objective no one claimed and O5 was still contested between the gaunts and two crusader squads.

Game Result: Draw

But being a sore loser I thought I would have won if we took into consideration KP’s. But then again that wouldn’t be fair but here goes:

KP’s Conceded By Black Templars

Terminator Command Squad
Emperor’s Champion
2 Crusader Squads

Total 4

KP’s Conceded By Tyranids

Tyrant Guard
Carnifex
Hive Tyrant
Ripper Swarms
Spine Gaunts
2 Lictors
Tyranid Warrior Brood

Total 7

But then again Gaunts and Ripper Swarms shouldn’t count. But all in all that was a really tough game. I think I had the best luck this game with seizing the initiative as well as being able to kill so many of his more precious creatures. But then again he really took his toll on my lines. Almost all my squads were either destroyed or really depleted.  Only one squad remained unscathed.

I guess it was the spearhead deployment that really messed thing up for the two of us since my LoS was really blocked but he was also forced into my Vindicators.

Black Templars Honour Roll:
Brother Azerus, Venerable Dreadnought: For not dying and being tough as nails.
Marshall Krixus and his Sword Brethren Terminator Command Squad: For killing all those MC’s and just being a pain to the enemy.
Crusader Squad 3 and 5: For holding my flank so valiantly and fighting back the hordes.
Vindicators 1 and 2: For thinning out the enemy ranks so quickly and efficiently.

Tyranid Honour Roll:
Genestealer Brood 2: For taking a real chunk out of my main force (2 Squads!).
Zoanthrope 1 and 2: For killing so many marines with of my main lines.

Hope you enjoyed it you guys. I know it gets a bit confusing. Sorry I didnt take pictures, camera battery died. My memory failed me and I forgot to bring note paper so it might be a bit inaccurate too.
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
Re: 2000 pts Black Templars vs Tyranids
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:52:07 PM »
Good game and report.

One thing you could have done was , while the battle was joined, roll one of the vindis towards his objective ( using 12 inch combat speed).  If he took the bait and tried to rush it, you could simply keep moving and have one unengaged unit to shoot at.  If he left it alone, you were closing in to his objective capping squad, with the chance to contest/wipeout the squad with a combination of the big cannon/sitting on the objective with your tank.

On this, cheers.
High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »
thanks. i guessed i was just really scared of all the monstrous creatures that he had coming towards the middle of the board. well i guess i should have taken the risk

thanks for the positive feedback!
Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet. - Dave Barry

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »
Great battle report! The marshall and his terminator command squad really did well, especially when taking down that carnifex.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »
Great battle report! The marshall and his terminator command squad really did well, especially when taking down that carnifex.

Indeed. I think after this i am going to advocate terminators from now on. They just rule making buckets of saves and all!

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
« Reply #5 on: May 8, 2009, 09:07:36 AM »
It was a good batrep, and i somehow love the game when it goes toe to toe and ends in a draw. suits much more to the dark atmosphere; all these guys died and for what?

But i must can your opponent was already doomed, looking at his list. We hardly chose Biovoroes over carnifexes which do alot more; we never give rending claws to hive tyrants, we dont give warp field to walking tyrants especially when they have a guard. Besides i believe tyrant can take the preferred enemy thing. We dont use ripper swarms in 5th ed - they cant even score!

His tactical choices seem apropriate most of the time though. Maybe he was trying to do his best with the things at hand.

Anyway, thanks for the report.
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline Spyke

• My hair is awesome!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
Nice report arah. I always like reports that throw fluff in too. Plus, being both a BT and Tyranid player, this battle really hit home  :).

The tactics on both sides were pretty good, too bad the battle had to end early. His list could definitely use some work. As mentioned above, plus the Devs on gaunts tends to be a waste. Also he's got 7 Troops choices! Not too big of a deal since Rippers can't hold objectives, but still. I also noticed you dealt a lot of wounds to those Zoanthropes. They only have 2 so make sure they leave the table at that point lol.

As a personal note, I'm not really a fan of the shooty crusader squads any more, but they seem to be working out ok for you.

Nice report and keep 'em coming.

Offline Major Arah

• Major
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »
but still. I also noticed you dealt a lot of wounds to those Zoanthropes. They only have 2 so make sure they leave the table at that point lol.

As a personal note, I'm not really a fan of the shooty crusader squads any more, but they seem to be working out ok for you.

Nice report and keep 'em coming.

I took out one of them but the other one still had one wound left by the end of the game.

The thing is that there are some things that I really dont want to have to deal with in close combat that I would rather shoot up a bit first like the carnifexes. But I think what I can do is get some sisters of battle squads with two meltaguns to do that job, or just more 10 man crusader squads.