News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt Necron List  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
1500pt Necron List
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »
So, I am thinking of leaning to a destroyer heavy force. Due to the UNLIMITED POWER and the speed and such. Also, I really like destroyers, I think they are really cool.

I am thinking of this as a list.

Lord-210
Phase Shifter
Destroyer Body
Res Orb
Warsctyhe

Immortals-196
x7

Warriors-180
x10
Warriors-180
x10

Destroyers-200
x4
Destroyers-200
x4
Destroyers-200
x4

Tomb Spyder-110
x2 w/Particle Projectors

1476pts

It has been through one game so far, against Deathwing. The Destroyers managed to whittle down the Terminators pretty good, and immobilized both landraiders quite quickly. The army has 24 points left anyway, so I might just give one warrior squad D-feilds, or add one more warrior in..or something.

The immortals I've found are also quite fantastic and unleashing a hail of shots, and their high toughness is great. The army fell flat when going up against the Terminators in combat, which is something I really could not avoid (due to my slow warriors, and my Lord dying early by being charged by terminators). I feel that even through that, it's fairly solid. I am thinking of a couple possible alterations.

1. Dropping one warrior squad for a Monolith. Helps mobility of the warrior squads, and is a big threat. Also, the Particle Whip can be useful at actually 'destroying' vehicles. However, it's fire output is not too great, nor is it's mobility on it's own.

2. Swapping the Lord for a VoD res orb lord w/Warscythe. Still has the Scythe for melee goodness, but is able to reposition my warrior squads when needed, or suck me out of combat. Doesn't share the same toughness and reach of the Destroyer Lord though.

For 1750pts, I would most likely Toss the Monolith in anyway, as why not. Or, a few squads of Flayed ones to outflank/infiltrate to cause a distraction.

Ideas on the 1500pt list, and expansion to 1750 is what I am looking for in advice.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Kaiju Senso

• Necrontyr Warrior
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Necrons, Guard, Tau, Marines
Re: 1500pt Necron List
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:40 AM »
Hmm, I definitely like the overall feel of the list. I'm curious to how you plan to use those Tomb Spyders though. My thoughts would be to have them both protect the unit of Immortals, which is in turn protecting the Warriors (from assaults). The particle projectors I'm still hit or miss on but haven't been using them recently because I want that extra attack in close combat.

Now on terms of modifications. First off I think you made a little typo about dropping a Warrior squad for a Monolith because you only have the minimum ;) so I assume you meant either the Immortals or a squad of Destroyers. I wouldn't do this until the 1750 mark because other then a bit of defense, the Monolith doesn't really add any firepower, which seems to be what you're aiming for at this point.

If you drop the Res Orb (the choice should be based on your Meta game if it's helpful or not), you can use the 64 points to buy a 3rd Tomb Spyder for added defense. Otherwise I wouldn't really change the Lord because he can get wherever he needs to be quickly and has great toughness.

For the 1750 mark, if you add the Monolith that'll basically be all you can do. If not, you could bulk up your Destroyer squads and add a small unit of 6 Flayed Ones to harass the enemy backfield.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 08:17:15 AM »
The tomb spyders, are counter assault units. They do indeed help protect the warriors/Immortals. I was thinking the same thing about the Monolith in 1500, not really worth it. I could in 1750, make all the Destroyers 5 man units. However, I feel that four in each squad at 12 shots a unit is still quite admirable, and allows me the option to expand elsewhere. In 1750, the Monolith could work great as LOS blocking terrain, as well as a great way to reposition units, which is something I think would be handy in larger games. Not like the Melta-spam in 5th edition is really going to worry it anyway. hmmmmmm.

I feel the res orb is necessary, the Lord is bound to get in combats with things far better then himself (as hes allowed to), thus he needs more reassurance he'll get back up.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
I think the 1500pt list is short on "Shock Absorber" units as you have little to deal with fast enemies that want to get into CC with you aside from running away.

If I were to run the list I would drop one unit of Destroyers to free up a slot for Scarab Swarms (and I don't like these guys much; but 5 of them naked, can make for a great shock absorber to buy you an extra round of shooting). I would then shove a 5th Destroyer into each squad (fewer Moral Checks from enemy fire) so that I replace some of the lost shooting. After that, grab a 3rd Tomb Spider as I do find them great as both counter assault units and shock absorbers.

drop 200pts to add 60+100+55 = 215pts which would still leave you with some 9 points to juggle/waste.

After that for moving up to the 1750pts size, add that Mono if you like it, and 2 more Scarab Swarms for a total pump of 259pts which makes if 1750 bang on (if my mental math is correct).

My idea has one other point of merit. At present your PO = 10/40 Necrons with my reduction of 2 Necrons your down to 9/38 so the enemy still has to remove some 29 figures; but you only have to hide/save 9 instead of 10.

Anyway those are my thoughts aside from altering the Lords Gear. (one decent CC guy can help; but he needs to coordinate with other stuff a lot to have any chance of being efective).

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering