News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: AM, Assassins, and a Hellhammer!  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
AM, Assassins, and a Hellhammer!
« on: July 9, 2015, 03:12:39 PM »
Here's a fun list I'm going to try out.  Not sure about the inquisitor, he was a commissar, but I like the servoskulls, but commissar is better for keeping the conscripts in place.

General Tactics
Concripts bubble wrap the hellhammer, HWS lay down fire while taking orders from the CCS.  MSU run up and grab objectives, assassins to their thing causing as much havoc as possible.  Hellhammer makes things to pop.

Inquisition
Ordo Malleus
Servoskull x3

HQ

Company Command
Master of Ordnance Camo gear x4
Engineseer with 3 Servitors

Troops

Veterans
Bolter Plasma Rifle x3 Forward Sentries

Platoon Command
Grenade Launcher x2
Infantry Squad
Flamer Bolter
Infantry Squad
Flamer Bolter
Heavy Weapon Squad
Autocannon
Heavy Weapon Squad
Autocannon
Conscripts x25

Hellhammer
Stubber
Side Sponsons

Assassinourm Execution Force
Vindicare Assassin
Callidus Assassin
Eversor Assassin
Culexus Assassin

1850 points
78 models
Thoughts?
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
Re: AM, Assassins, and a Hellhammer!
« Reply #1 on: July 9, 2015, 08:22:02 PM »
I assume the enginseer is babysitting the hellhammer to repair it? Needed in my view as Baneblade variants are too expensive for their points imo. They just don't get any save - the conscripts won't give the Hellhammer a cover save for intervening models, they'll just prevent a charge against it. Your opponent can either deal with it and it's gone by end of turn 2, or they can't and it's ignored. usually it's the former. Anyway moving swiftly on ...

I think a commissar is almost certainly needed for the conscripts.

It's an interesting one as I haven't really played with the assassins, but the mass of guard just looks too squishy. However, it may be the assassins tank the anti-infantry fire, but I can just see your troop choices disappearing off the board without a Lord Commisar to hold them. I don't see your infantry doing a lot to be honest.

There's no anti flyer in there, which may be deliberate.

There's also very little anti tank. The auto cannons can do light tanks, but HWT don't usually last long. You only have two main anti tank shots on the Hellhammer, and you may be wanting to use the main gun to flush out infantry in cover?

Not sure if any of the assassins are useful antitank. You've also got no psykers to boost your psyker assassin so that one may be a bit of a waste?

Like I said I'm not really up to speed with the assassins so maybe they do cover the gaps well? Also what does the inquisitor actually do? Anyway like you said it's a fun list.

I'm not a huge fan of super heavies as I feel like you need to agree it in advance and then the other guy thinks "Hmm, I'll just take sternguard meltas in a drop pod". Hopefully when the new guard codex comes out with formations etc, baneblades and their variants will be in it and they'll have reduced the points cost for them. Personally I'd rather go multiple russes. But that's just me. For what it's worth I think the Hellhammer is the best variant.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Re: AM, Assassins, and a Hellhammer!
« Reply #2 on: July 9, 2015, 10:56:56 PM »
You have some good points but I'll lay out the assassins first

Vindicare Assassin: Has a str 10 shot to take out tanks and can take out any model on the board pretty easy.  He's a scalpel, doesn't do a lot of damage but can tip the scales.
Callidus Assassin: Goes after the smaller and more important units and can infiltrate 1" away and the enemy can only snap fire at her the first turn.  Really disruptive.
Eversor Assassin: This guy is just a kamikazi assault beast, with melta bombs.  He goes for the large units and can take the last wounds off a Wraithknight if need be.
Culexus Assassin: More of a distraction since its hard to hit him and causes -3 ld to everyone in 12".  The fact that I don't have a psyker means I can add all my warp charges that I roll (up to 3) into his shooting.

For the small guard units, they're just suppose to have at least 1 guy left to go to ground on an objective at the end of the game.  Between the hellhammer and the assassins the enemy will have their hands full for the first few turns.

The bubble wrap is suppose to keep assaulters away and keep marine drop pods out of melta range. 

The servoskulls are handy because any friendly blast placed within 12" of one of them only scatters 1d6.  Which is great for orbital strikes and the hellhammer.  They also block enemy infiltrators which means my assassins will be where I want them to be.

The inquisitor has ld 10 and stubborn.  No execution but otherwise the same staying power.

As for flyers, I'm not worried, I rarely see them in my meta.

As for the superheavy, right now its the only guard tank that I own and I haven't been able to get an all infantry guard army to work since the last dex sucked all the fun out of it.  Just trying to make lemonade right now! :p

Edit:

Looking at my list again, I think I need more units.  Not really getting the multible of the MSU tactic I'm going for.  So maybe cut out the veterans and the HWS and get 2 platoons?

Edit:

So thanks for yoru feed back, I redid the list and I think I like it much better now!

Inquisition
Ordo Xenos Inquisitor - 72 pts
Psyker Force Weapon Power Armour Servoskull x3

Henchmen Warband - 25 pts
Psyker
Acolyte with Bolter x3

Henchmen Warband - 25 pts
Psyker x1
Acolyte with Bolter x3

AM

HQ
Lord Commissar
Power Axe

Engineseer
Servitors x3

Troops
Platoon Command
Grenade Launcher x2

Infantry Squad
Flamer Autocannon
Infantry Squad
Flamer Autocannon

Platoon Command
Grenade Launcher x2

Infantry Squad
Flamer Autocannon
Infantry Squad
Flamer Autocannon

Conscripts x26

Lords of War
Hellhammer
Stubber Side Sponsons

Assassinourm Execution Force
Vindicare Assassin
Callidus Assassin
Eversor Assassin
Culexus Assassin

1850 points
90 models
15 units +2 Independent characters running around.

Edit Again:

Had another thought about that whole antitank thing, so melta guns, and the mortars will help pin anything that can be pinned that near the Culuxes

Inquisition
Ordo Malleus
Terminator Armour Servoskull x3
Henchmen Warband
Psyker x1
Acolyte w Bolter x3
Henchmen Warband
Psyker x1
Acolyte w Bolter x3

AM
HQ
Lord Commissar
Power Fist Carapase Armour
Engineseer
Servitors x3

Troops

Platoon Command
Mortar
Infantry Squad
Meltagun
Infantry Squad
Meltagun

Platoon Command
Mortar
Infantry Squad
Meltagun
Infantry Squad
Meltagun
Conscripts x28

Lords of War
Hellhammer
Stubber Side Sponsons

Assassinourm Execution
Vindicare Assassin
Callidus Assassin
Eversor Assassin
Culexus Assassin

1848 points
97 Models
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:10:17 AM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.