News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Salamanders  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Dysphonia

Salamanders
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:14:48 PM »
So, after deciding on a chapter to paint my AoBR SM, I made a start; one terminator, one marine, and the dreadnaught (I love dreads). The painting isn't exactly great, but they are the first things I've painted since I was 14 (I'm 21 now), and I really really suck at fine detail (have issues with fine motor control).

I figure they look decent enough really, I like them. Any suggestions would be appreciated though, can always improve, right? Could especially do with tips on how to base them; can't decide what colour to use (not green, obviously D:)

Thats all for now; I've got the rest of the AoBR stuff to paint, a battleforce I got reasonably cheaply, and I'm going to strip a few of my old ultramarine models for use (metal CC scouts, 5 assault marines, TL-LC + MM dread, old metal whirlwind, and a few PF vet sargents). gonna be slow progress for a while, just finishing up the final year of my degree, and I paint slowly anyway

Oh, and I realise the pictures are a bit blurry when seen at full size; the camera on my phone sucks, and I don't own an actual one :<

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
Re: Salamanders
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 07:55:09 PM »
I don't pretend to know much about painting, but one thing I would definitely suggest would be to drill out the barrels of your guns. Like the multi-melta and storm bolter. There's really no substitute, and it looks great.
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Dysphonia

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:53:11 PM »
I don't pretend to know much about painting, but one thing I would definitely suggest would be to drill out the barrels of your guns. Like the multi-melta and storm bolter. There's really no substitute, and it looks great.

I'll be going back and doing that, once I get myself a drill; not got one atm, so haven't been able too quite yet. I'm gonna have to remember when I get one to go back and touch these (and a few other) models up.

edit: Built my scouts this evening; a combination of catchan parts, the scout parts from the battleforce, and a cadian head & nade throwing arm for the sergeant, were used. Kinda like the look of them; could swear I saw a similar conversion earlier today, but can't for the life of me remember where. If it was your conversion I saw earlier, its great, thanks for the idea. Might stick a PW on the sergant, a nice simple swap, not sure how I want them equipped. Gotta buy myself a Land Speeder Storm now (I love land speeders). I'd take pictures, but they're A) nothing particularly special, just pretty simple, and B) my phone's camera hates anything that isn't natural light, and its 0215, so yeah :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 10:14:27 PM by Dysphonia »

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:29 PM »
I'm not sure if you wanted a suggestion about how to equip the scout sergeant, but I cannot recommend the powerfist/combi-flamer combination highly enough! (This is assuming he is leading close-combat scouts.) But still, test before you commit, lest you have him stuck in a configuration you don't like.
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline Pershore

• You are in error, no-one is screaming
« Reply #4 on: April 2, 2011, 02:31:09 PM »
Why pick a loadout for your sergeant when you can pick EVERY loadout ?  Magnets are your friend!

Some chapter symbols would be great.  Does the AoBR box come with the marine transfer sheet?  With Microset and Microsol then they work well and are easy to do.

Another tip, a tiny dot of white in the eye lenses (about 75% of the way back) gives a great effect.  The smallest dot you can manage.

Offline Dysphonia

« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
Why pick a loadout for your sergeant when you can pick EVERY loadout ?  Magnets are your friend!

Some chapter symbols would be great.  Does the AoBR box come with the marine transfer sheet?  With Microset and Microsol then they work well and are easy to do.

Another tip, a tiny dot of white in the eye lenses (about 75% of the way back) gives a great effect.  The smallest dot you can manage.

I plan on magnetising things in the future; just a little short on cash atm, and I'm gonna need money for somewhere to live in the summer. Time being, I'm just gonna do what I can with what I've got, mostly. Besides, I like the scout models, and will probably buy more over time just due to that anyway. I've got a bunch of transfer sheets somewhere, from years back, will dig those out at some point.

Thanks for the tip; I'm gonna have to try that.

Had to stick all this on temporary hold; last 2 months of my degree, spare time has been kinda low, although might do some more rank and file marines in the next week or so while I take a short break.

Offline Dysphonia

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »
So, my PC broke, and I'm stuck with a terrible laptop. On the upside, I've had more time to do a few things. Like finally assembling some of the battleforce I've got sat around.

First things first; the scouts, using a mix of scout and Catchan parts, with 2 Cadian heads.

I do kinda like the finished result; I figure the small disparities between the IG parts and the scout parts will be lessened when painted; they wont be an entirely difference colour then. If nothing else, I do really like the Cadian heads on the scouts; I know they're more lightly armoured than full marines, but why should they just run around without a helmet? Will probably use them more.

Next up is the assault squad; I've decided I really like the assault squad boxset, so there will be more at some time in the future. Better legs, better special weapon options, and jetpacks are always cool. Always.

The one with the normal hands is gonna have a flamer; I've got loads of them sat around from my IG army, so might as well put them to good use. Felt the stationary legs would work better with that too, leaving me with the dynamic legs for...

A captain. I dislike the AoBR one, mostly because why on earth would anyone want a captain with a boltgun? I mean, sure, it looks cool, but I'm not much of a fan.

The assault sprue having power weapons (gonna use this power axe as a relic blade; hence the purity seals), and a storm shield, is most excellent. Used the Heresy era style pads, because, well, they look cool. Figure combining them with the chestplate used (the sargeant one from the tac spure? can't remember), I could claim its artificer armour if the fancy ever took me, what with it being described as an old set of 'special' armour, passed down through the chapter.

Now, the lack of backpack on the captain?

Cut off the exhausts, added a couple of the, well, things, from the chaos vehicle sprue. Im not sure if I'll use it yet, but I do kinda like the look. Was aiming for a calgar backpack kinda look, didnt quite succeed, I'm not the best modeler, but I like it. Just not sure if I'm gonna use it.

Combi weapons! for my scout sergeant, or, well, whoever.

The combi plasma is... messy. Got plenty of spare plasma pistols and boltguns though, so can keep trying. The combi flamer works, imo, will probably look better painted too.

Finishing off a terminator and another tac marine (Painting the buggers takes so long that I can't do 5-10 at a time anymore :<), will probably start on my rhino after that.

Congratulations if you're still here. ._.

Offline dprevs

• word to your moms im here to drop bombs
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 11:52:56 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to post all this, I know its a lot of extra work/time.  My only criticism is the scouts-I really don't like the cadian/scout mix, especially the cadian heads on the scout bodies.  I'd take them off, but it's up to you, if you like em, keep em. 
-dprevs

Offline Dysphonia

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to post all this, I know its a lot of extra work/time.  My only criticism is the scouts-I really don't like the cadian/scout mix, especially the cadian heads on the scout bodies.  I'd take them off, but it's up to you, if you like em, keep em.
I can see where you're coming from; the h. bolter guy had it added as I had a mental image of someone going full blast with it, helmet sorta on, chin strap dangling down, with a cigar in their mouth. Considering getting some green stuff for the cigar, but poor D:. The other cadian yeah, yeah, I entirely see your point. I'm going to give it a chance painted, as I think it might work a little better then. If not, it'll be going.

Offline Mon'Tau

• Corporal Max McPherson - dual shotguns and glory | Meat Hater Magnet
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Hello Ground. Will you be my friend?
« Reply #9 on: May 1, 2011, 03:16:05 PM »
The cigar would be best done with a simple pin, inserted into a hole drilled into his mouth. Green stuff is more fiddly the smaller the amount you are using, especially when you want to have something like that. The only way green stuff would work in my opinion, is to roll out a thin sausage of it, allow it to cure, and then cut it to size before inserting it in the same way as a pin.
The Diplomacy League - give it a look.

Well played. Drybrushing is the future *twitch*
beslubber you sheepz!  :P

You know you play too much Diplomacy when you have more PM's than forum posts.

Offline ALshroth

• Autoarch of Althan
    • My WIP website
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2011, 12:55:40 PM »
Good start but the painting is a little flat.
Get some washes on those colours to give a bit of depth.

As to drilling out barrels, I agree but I use GW's on pin vice (I have a dremel and an Archimedes drill) but prefer to do things slowly then get the big tools out later.
When the Biel-tan fled there home worlds they left behind many living people on many worlds, however unknown to them a world survived unharmed and unchanged there name was forever changed to Althan.
My Home - www.ajb2k3.co.uk 2008.

Offline Mrkalo981

• Space Marines-They're guarding our Zebra Crossings
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
Could especially do with tips on how to base them; can't decide what colour to use (not green, obviously D:)
Well, Nocturne is the home planet of the Samamanders and it is a barren volcanic ash world. Some sort of black or firey black base would be in order. Perhaps sand the base and paint it a shade of black and maybe paint a few red hot coals would look really good (sorry for my lack of knowledge into which specific paints to use - experiment!).

They look very neat but something which I might add which is just personal preference is that on my vehicles I always paint the bolts metal coloured as it look really cool and neat when finished and it would provide nice contrast to the black but by no means is it neccesary (as a word of warning I paint ultramarines - not sure how it would look on salamanders. If you are not sure what is experimenting for? ;)).
Space Marines, Imperial Guard, High Elves - I like the Good Guys! Soon to be Grey Knights. too!