News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]  (Read 37072 times)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]
« on: November 6, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
Right. It's been a while since I posted some of my stuff. While I have been a bit slow to do paint and such during the summer, there has been some progress at least. I'll put up some pics of painted stuff later. For now, I'll be focusing on my current project, a heavily converted Seer Council.

First up, the only warlock that comes in two pieces. I cut off a part of the arm and rebuilt it with green stuff to change the angle of his sword. Used a rune from a Guardian catapult, I think, to help cover some of the remains I couldn't file away properly without damaging the detailing. This one I consider finished.

This one is pretty much finished, I might try to add a little detailing to the right sleeve and the headband holding the hair.

This one is built on pieces from the guardian sprue, DA sprue, head from the War Walker, and some High Elf bitz I'm not entirely sure of where they're from. The triple-slit skirt probably needs some more attention...

A Banner-man is of course needed! The banner is from the High Elf Archers sprue. Since he then lost his witchblade, I added a Dire Sword from the DA-sprue to his back. I used a part from the sheated short sword on the DA-sprue to act as a "fastener". The idea is that it is psyko-reactive and releases the sword when he grabs the hilt. I consider this one as finished.

The right arm is from some High Elf thing or other, the dagger from some Dark Elf-sprue. I was given those bitz by a friend and don't know their origin. This one is finished.

I have two of this model and I'm working on this one too. I consider it pretty much finished, I need to base him properly in style with the others. And I'm thinking about doing something with the left arm/hand too.

This one is pretty much finished I think... Not too much to add really...

For this one, I'm currently drawing a blank when it comes to the right arm. I'd like to use an arm with an empty hand, as the spear looks a lot like a naginata, but I have nothing in my bitz-box atm, and no ideas. Help me out please!

The given leader of the council! The idea is partly based on the conversion shown in the old 3rd ed Codex, but I didn't have it nearby when I stared. Which led me to removing the arms entirely, causing a lot of headache when working on the right arm supporting the sword. The hand and hilt is from the banner-man, and the rest of the arm is a Dire Avenger gun arm cut in two at the elbow to make the angles meet. I'm really liking how this one is turning out. I plan to make armour-plates under the shoulder-pads like on the new Farseer-models. There is some detailing and fixing to do as well, especially on the right arm.

One thing I'd like to ask is suggestions. If there is anything you see in the pictures that you think could improve on what I've done so far I'd love to hear it. I have the other Farseer model from the old Seer Council box waiting, and I don't really know what to do with him. I'm leaning towards just adding armour-plates under his shoulder pads in style with the newer Farseer-sculpts. Also, any ideas for the left arm on the Farseer-model I have two of? Or a suitable right arm for the warlock with the naginata-spear?

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline SMVaughn

• "I am and always shall be your friend." - LN
  • Armies: Space Marines, Dark Angels, Eldar, Chaos Marines
Re: House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »
Sadly I have no suggestions at this time. The work is quite impressive. Brings some hope to my desires to convert some of my own Eldar when I get them started up in about 4 days or so.

How are you finding the conversions with the Metal Mini's? I am told repeatedly that the Metal mini's are a pain in the tail pipe for conversions.

Looks more then a busy project to say the least. Look forward to more updates.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #2 on: November 6, 2009, 12:32:26 PM »
Sadly I have no suggestions at this time. The work is quite impressive. Brings some hope to my desires to convert some of my own Eldar when I get them started up in about 4 days or so.

How are you finding the conversions with the Metal Mini's? I am told repeatedly that the Metal mini's are a pain in the tail pipe for conversions.

Looks more then a busy project to say the least. Look forward to more updates.

Thanks! :)

Well, I'd have been a lot happier if the models had been plastic. Some of the things have been pretty simple. All cutting has been with standard clippers, except for the butte of Eldrad's spear that I had to use a dremel with a cutting disc to remove. If they'd been in plastic, it'd have opened up a lot of possibilities in the line of repositioning legs/turning the torsos etc. And i'd probably have filed away the fur cloaks, it's way too much wirk with the models being metal, and I don't dislike them THAT much ;).

Now that I'm posting, I'll put up some pics of my most recently painted stuff too:
Guardian Defenders:

Warlock for the squad:

Repainted Autarch:

And a Falcon:

Sorry for stealing the opportunity, but I though I'd put them up before they get pushed too far back in my photobucket-album ;)

Offline SMVaughn

« Reply #3 on: November 6, 2009, 01:28:08 PM »
Nice work. I like the look of it... not too much black. Nice contrast and blend of colours. The Rune work looks great too. Free hand I take it?

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #4 on: November 6, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »
Very nice conversion work.  The only thing I can think of is that the banner would look great as the other arm for the "naginata" guy... perhaps you could make TWO banner bearers?
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #5 on: November 7, 2009, 05:00:18 AM »
SMVaughn: Thank you :) Yes, the runes are all freehanded, I think I'm starting to get them to look clean, and even now.

Chaplain Swordwind: First off: Thanks for the kind words! Hmm a banner on him as well, I hadn't thought of that! Very interesting thought! That way I could have one carrying the Ulthwé Craftworld banner and the other the House Ulthran banner. I'll most definitely consider that. Thanks :)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #6 on: November 7, 2009, 10:26:51 AM »
A small update. Did some green stuff work on a few things...

Warlock:

Fleshed out the sleeve a bit. I don't think I'll do anything more on this one.

Seer:

Fixed the inside of the sleeve, added some volume to make it more natural-looking.

Eldrad:

Started on the arm/shoulderguards. I'll be adding to them and build them up when the base has cured.

Homebuild:

This is the one I've worked the most on. Been building up the folds to make them more accentuated. I'll add some more when this stage has cured.

Ideas, comments, criticism welcome!

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 09:12:26 AM »
Well, I've got some more work done. I primed the ones I'm finished with. Here goes. I'll take some pics of my homebuild later.

Seer-model:

I've added a few more strands of hair, and I'll be build a hand doing something destructor-like:P Hopefully it won't look too much like crap. This is meant as a foundation and I'll build upon it.

Other seer-model:

Added shoulderpads. I might add another layer to them once this one has cured.

Warlock:

Now here's the really ambitious one... I'll build the arm from scratch! I made an attempt with a DA-arm that didn't work out. The plan is to make it look something like the Warlock in the codex-artwork using destructor. I hope that I can pull it off.

Eldrad:

I pretty much think he's finished now. I'm really happy with hoe he turned out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 09:17:11 AM by DarkstormUlthwe »

Offline SMVaughn

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
Nice. I like the finished look I can not wait to see them fully painted.

Other then the Codex is there another place you got visualization of your runes from?

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 10:30:43 AM »
Thank you:) I get most of my runes from the codex, though some are just me getting some idea and seeing how it turns out. The head-like rune, the ones on the side of the engines and the runes down the wings on the Falcon are that.

Painting them will take some time. I intend for them to look as good as I possibly can, which means that I will paint one or two at the time instead of all of them at once.

Offline SMVaughn

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »
With my Eldar list beginnings and army start, and seeing moc065's arm personally in all stages of painting. Slow painting process is the way of the Eldar. I am a patient man if nothing else, so I look forward to your updates for painted army as it comes to pass.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
Well, I've got some work done! A bit of converting and even some painting!

Seer:

The hand is a GS-cast of the left hand from "Krüger the Stormwrath" from Hordes I think. I thought it'd look good. It needs a bit more trimming before it's 100% finished.

Well, I've got the sleeve done, and extended the arm towards the length it's supposed to have. It'll be hard to sculpt the hand... A real challenge.

Painting! The black is finished, the bone is still to get a couple of highlights, I have the red yet to do, including gems... And of course some freehand runes.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2009, 03:55:12 PM »
I'd have liked some comments on my previous post... Especially if anyone has any experience and advice on sculpting a hand, that'd be hugely appreciated.

Well, some more painting on the two Warlocks has made them pretty much finished, they haven't got their runes painted on the robes yet, but other than that, there's not much left to do:

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #13 on: December 2, 2009, 11:32:18 AM »
Ok, did some touch-ups, one more highlight on the blades and some freehand runes to complete the two. Here goes:

« Last Edit: December 3, 2009, 01:00:14 AM by DarkstormUlthwe »

Offline SMVaughn

« Reply #14 on: December 2, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »
Nice work. You did a wicked job on the red/orange blades.

Your free hand runes is very clean too.

Lets see the others ;)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #15 on: December 2, 2009, 02:42:49 PM »
Thanks :) The others are in the pipe-line... I'm not 100% decided yet if I'll be painting or converting next :P I have two minis set up for priming, but it'd be nice to finish the conversion-work completely...

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #16 on: February 8, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
I've been inactive on this work for a while now. Lots to do in school and in private hasn't left much time or energy for 40k unfortunately. We did manage to play last weekend, and a friend of mine was kind enough to take some army shots for me. Note that this is the elements of my army that I'm satisfied with in terms of the quality of the painting. I do have quite a bit more stuff, but that is to be repainted and thus left out. Cheers. As always comments and criticism is welcome, I have more pics, mainly exarch closeups that I can put up if anyone's interested.

« Last Edit: February 8, 2010, 10:13:55 AM by DarkstormUlthwe »

Offline Sweord

« Reply #17 on: February 8, 2010, 10:48:14 AM »
Really good work, I can't believe I didn't see this till now. I think your green stuff work is incredible, and I want to see what they look like painted.

I'll be watching this thread.

-Sweord

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #18 on: February 8, 2010, 11:03:34 AM »
Really good work, I can't believe I didn't see this till now. I think your green stuff work is incredible, and I want to see what they look like painted.

I'll be watching this thread.

-Sweord

Thanks! The thread has been inactive since the beginning of December unfortunately. I think I'll have more time going forward, and the first priority is to finish the Council. My gaming group will run a Tale starting in April, so I'll be preparing things for that too.

Some exarchs:

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #19 on: February 8, 2010, 01:00:13 PM »
Really nice to see some more of your stuff...

Thanks for sharing, and might I ask for some more WIP pics on you r next project, as I think that your style would really help show how to highlight black effectively. And that would help many people  out there.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering