News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New 40K race, The Sombra  (Read 4794 times)

Offline Doctor Thunder

New 40K race, The Sombra
« on: June 5, 2009, 02:12:23 PM »
Here’s the prototypes for a male and female Sombra.  C+C is welcome.

Incoming Message.....
Transmitter - Station Oriationem 8A57H10-Omicron-5B-Theta…
Receiver – Station Audentia 83645-12B…
Author identified as Senior Magos Genetor Kilmari…
Beginning Audio Feed…
Beginning Video Feed…
Beginning Holo Feed…
Displaying now…

Greetings to my master, may The Beloved Emperor continue to shield your life from day to day in his service.  My gratitude to Him and his servants the White Scars for the impeccable intervention during the Josat Raids.  By the powers of Librarian Ka’rasha we have captured one of the raiders alive, and his subsequent interrogations under Ka’rasha’s mental press have yielded an hundred fold the information we previously possessed regarding this strange and loathsome xenos.

The Sombra are a race of nomads, moving in small tribes across the galaxy, stealing and plundering the resources of whatever system they inhabit before moving on to the next.  Their unique physiology allows them to phase part or even their entire body into warpspace, allowing them to pass through normal matter without interacting with it.  We were unable to uncover the exact mechanism which makes this possible, but I am confident that with further test subjects and study The Emperor will reveal this truth to us.  According to comments made my Ka’rasha, the Sombra are surprisingly resistant to warp influence, and the librarian was only able to restrain the prisoner’s abilities with great efforts.  This seems to be the result of…(entry purged, Inquisitional reference 41J6848.69A845W8)

During his interrogation, the prisoner made several references to a ceremony they call The Parting, which we believe is the means by which an entire tribe will open a localized rift and shift themselves to a nearby star system.  It is unknown how much control they have over their destination, but surely this tribe would not have come to a world as heavily fortified as Josat intentionally.  The most rational explanation…(entry purged, Inquisitional reference 31J6548.69B844W2)…We believe this is the reason no Sombra spacecraft have ever been documented to this date.

Having no written language, they pass their history and traditions through hundreds of epic songs and dances.  Whenever possible a tribe will gather around a roaring bonfire each night, and perform one of the tales.  The elegance of their dances and the power of their music has been noted by Imperial Scouts that have happened upon such events.

If they simply kept to themselves, their presence on a world would probably go unfelt and unnoticed, but culturally they are a decadent and lethargic people, and their greed leads them to steal greater and greater quantities of resources and valuables from the local population until a confrontation in inevitably provoked.

There appears to be little to no communication between tribes, except during The Gathering Council, which is preformed once every generation.  The shamans each tribe journey alone to…(entry purged, Inquisitional reference 71D6508.69W844QQ2)  Upon their return, the Shaman will select his or her predecessor and will then immediately perish.  His remains will then be cremated and ingested by each member of the tribe except the new Elder Shaman, who will abstain for unknown reasons.

Though they prefer to avoid open warfare, the Sombra are swift and violent when provoked by anger or greed.  They are masters of ambush and lightning raids.  Imperial commanders on Josat commented that they fought Sombra war-packs for weeks without ever actually seeing their opponents.  They fight almost exclusively in close combat, their unique physiology giving them a distinct advantage over any opponent.  A skilled Sombra warrior will flicker in and out of reality as they fight, allowing blades and shots to pass harmlessly through, then returning to realspace to deliver a killing blow with a vast array of plundered bladed weapons.  Against armored opponents, Sombra warriors have been known to phase the blade of their weapon and press it into the chest cavity of their opponent, then return it to realspace.  On Josat, even the mighty armor of the Adeptus Astartes offered little protection from these foul xenos.  But, by The Emperor’s grace and the unparalleled ferocity of his Angels of Death, the xenos were driven off a mere 23 standard hours after the arrival of the White Scars.

Traditionally the Sombra have been classified as threat level Non, as their small numbers and disinterest in conquest makes them little more then a parasite even on a sector scale.  It is my and recommendation, however, that their threat status be restated as Mino.  Doing so will allow greater resources to be allocated to me and my faction to confront and study.  It is my belief that with greater research the Sombra’s shifting abilities could be…(entry purged, Inquisitional reference 43R6718.600004NB9) 

All glory to Our Beloved Emperor, Magos Kilmari

Message feed interrupt.....
Transmitter - Station Inquisit-J25321 666 Location blocked…
Message redirect without tracer authorized – Clearance Level Ultraviolet…
(Magos Kilmari terminated on suspicion of xenos taint, Inquistional reference 781E68W8.69A845B1)
Puertia Class Report #93472-J.40 No longer found
Transmission Ends…

Okay, a little Q and A

Q: What are the models made from
A: Wood Elf legs, Dark Elf Torsos, Dryad Heads, various arms and capes.  I will not have a single way of making them, as I want them to look very rag-tag, so I’ll be using bits from all over to make them

Q: How are they going to be painted?
A: The plan is to give them a blue-grey skin tone (their head tentacles are kinda inspired by the twi’lik from Star Wars)  With earthy autum tones on their clothes, and rusty colors on their gear.

Q: What rules will you use on the table top?
A: Probably Dark Eldar rules, a DE webportal list without any tanks is fairly close to their fighting style.
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this?
This is my BOOMSTICK! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?!
Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...
Ya! (BOOM) (BOOM)

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
Re: New 40K race, The Sombra
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »
Frankly speaking I prefer seeing tons of models and just a little bit of  fluff rather than a lot fluff and very few models.

I do hope that they will have some cool guns.

LoL I certainly hope you know what you're getting yourself into.
I would rather see one of the many fluff races being made into models rather than seeing a completely new race...
If you don't go beyond your 2 unpainted models and some fluff I doubt you'll get a lot of attention.

If I really did try something like this I would have made an entire army and have it painted, than I would make a website or something...
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline cluny the scourge

• NEEDZ MORE DAKKA!!
« Reply #2 on: June 6, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
If your going to make a new race, lotta work and you have to show more then two guys, but I think it will be cool if you finish it.
War is my goal, death? my destination.

Offline Doctor Thunder

« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
Okay, I got a lot of comments that the models needed more sci-fi bitz, so with these two I tried to do that.  Since these are gypsy thieves, I want each one to be as unique as possible.  I was surprised at how much taller the new Dark Elf models are compared to the Wood Elf models, but luckily since these are aliens I can have some tall and some shorter without causing any real visual problems so long as I include a line in their fluff about their diverse height.

C+C is welcome.

This is my BOOMSTICK! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?!
Ya! (BOOM) (BOOM)

Offline JackofBlades

• Mwuhahahahaha
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »
I quitte like this.

Offline Doctor Thunder

« Reply #5 on: June 8, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »

Ya! (BOOM) (BOOM)

Offline JackofBlades

• Mwuhahahahaha
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2009, 01:54:29 AM »
I would like to see one painted. I think a good paint job can really make these models awesome.

Offline Jehan-Reznor

• The Dude in Japan
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2009, 05:17:23 AM »
i like it, are they going to have tanks or animals?

anyway how are your female marines doing?
"this can't be happening, Man!"
my projects;
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=169427.0 budhhist space marines
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=163611.0 Doombringer my space marine chapter
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=150109.0 Hello Kitty Space Marine Army

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2009, 05:23:43 AM »
Nice work, and you're going to use DE rules? Well if GW won't release new DE models to replace those horribly old ones they now have, you might as well make them yourself ;D
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline cluny the scourge

• NEEDZ MORE DAKKA!!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »
Thats what im talking about, with the guns and "sci-fi" bitz it looks alot more 40k like, and nice job showing the few ones because it gives more variety when people look at it.

2 thumbs up
War is my goal, death? my destination.

Offline Insulin Junkie

• Death or Glory! Mostly Death...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 01:03:34 AM »
Love the fluff man, good stuff.

Reading through it though, they rules that came to mind were the Daemon rules. They phase in and out of Warpspace, which explains the Inv. Saves, and the whole thing with the knife becoming real in a Space Marine's chest was just too cool, I was thinking of the Bloodletter rules when I read it. Great models too! Love to see one painted!

Insulin Junkie
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout!

It really sucks when a Baneblade kills sixteen Berzerkers in one turn...