News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: When does a game of 40k become unplayable?  (Read 1110 times)

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
When does a game of 40k become unplayable?
« on: September 25, 2007, 03:28:40 AM »
I'm just curious.

Is there an upper point limit for 40k games - not by the rules but by the playability?
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: When does a game of 40k become unplayable?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 03:42:32 AM »
That would depend upon the armies in question. For ACs, i guess the limit is the sky, if you spend enough points on shiny tanks and doctrines. But an mostly infantry ork hord becomes very time consumig to play at higher point games.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Adam LongWalker

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 05:28:44 AM »
When you can't place anymore models on the table.;)
"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."

Offline Major. Witham

• Major
  • 'Sound off like you got a pair!'
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:35:59 AM »
When its a game of Apocalypse.

I'm only half kidding, but the fact remains that theres a reason that 1500pts is the general standard of games as it allows people to play a decent game and be able to choose from their entire codex and have it dont in about an hour.

As for when a game is too big - I say not when you cant fit anything else on the table, but when youve fit everything on the table and theres simply no point in moving anything as opposed to just standing and shooting. you get alot of that in store mega battles where every 12 year old and his badly painted army are competing, and the table is so jam packed with stuff that no one moves because you can always draw LOS to an enemy unit.
"Sir! Looks like were surrounded!"

"Were Drop Troops soldier - Were supposed to be surrounded!"

Offline Tyranid_Wannabe

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Es ist ein schönes Schiff
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 05:54:42 AM »
When it becomes unfeasible to try and transport your entire army, whats the point of all those models if you can't take them all everywhere and play in a mega battle.

Or when it takes you an ungodly amout of time to play a game, I'm talking about battles that go for hours and hours with no breaks. In then end you become sick of it and want to stop playing.
Heed my wisdom, ignore my ignorance

Offline Cypher037

• Support your LGS! Don't buy online or from GWs.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 06:05:37 AM »
After playing in the 'ard boyz tourny, 2500 point. Those games where way too big, way too tedious, and just flat out less fun because of the excess of models. This is, unless you consider dice rolling to be the most fun part of the game. ;)

-Leo
"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism."
- Hermann Goering (Nazi)

So it goes.

fnord

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 06:59:19 AM »
I have played up to 15000, and could cram another 5k in that adding some low-modelcount armies/titans/Superheavies. So 20k is something playable at least. It would take a weekend, and your opponent had to be good at planning his moves so that it doesn't take too long, otherwise it would drag on forever.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 09:14:38 AM »
When your opponent won't play.

You could line up your models across each other from the table and shoot them with BB gun pellets if you wanted - as long as you and your opponent have a blast, any house rules go!
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Killgore

• Guardian
  • Ulthwe
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »
it totaly depends on you and your oponunt's attitude

theres no point trying a 10,000point game against someone who only likes combat patrol, but if both love apocalypse size battles then you will be in for a great day of battle.

Offline rikatomik

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:02:12 PM »
I really only play 2500-3000 point games because anything less seems like just an tease. They do take a long time, but I like long mighty battles with titanic armies. Like Adam said, only when you can't fit any more models on the table.

[color="#0000FF"]Codex: Everyone else is just traitors, heretics and xenos.[/color]

Offline Adaon

• Fantasy, Science Fiction - hey, who needs a life?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:47 PM »
I would say, at about 3.000 points, and only against friends. It allows you to use all force organistion Charts and requires a big table with enough terrain, though..

40k is, after all, a game of skirmishes and works best in this regard. (That is also the reason why even games of 400 or 500 points are fun and competitve.) For the big Battles, there is Epic.