News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330746 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1480 on: September 25, 2017, 01:20:31 AM »
G'day Cavalier!
You've outdone yourself, mate. It's obvious you took a lot of joy doing these pieces. It shows in the end result. I like the darker tone to these versions. Another happy client, Cavalier. You must be very proud... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1481 on: September 25, 2017, 04:22:50 AM »
Really nice work Cav! I have to admit, i think my favourite is the little cel shaded kitty. Now that i know that's the style you're after it's fun picking it out :)

I can see the idea on the colour balance on the Yncarne. By having a starker contrast closer to the body it helps make the body pop and the swirly gak look minimised. Similar idea to the 'eavy metal team with their purple/light blue.

Actually, thinking about it, i wonder which models the official GW team really like painting and which bug them (personally that swirly gak took a lot of patience, and i only had about a third as much as everyone else!)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Orange

« Reply #1482 on: September 26, 2017, 04:14:20 AM »
Really beautiful work man. The blue and the purple really capture the other-worldness of the Yncarne. I like it so much more than the official scheme.

I haven't dug all the way through your thread yet, but I'm guessing you're loving painting red at the moment?

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1483 on: September 26, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
@Auric's Pride- Lol! Thanks buddy really glad you like em. Like I mentioned its fun to work with purples and blues (on something beyond Guilliman which I'm painting another of soon) Yeah I'm real happy with how Yvraine came out. She's such a nice model to paint. I can't wait to paint up my own Yvraine... though I'm using a totally different model! Thanks bud!

@Looshkin- Yeah I hear you bud. The transition is more noticeable in real life but its hard when you are restricted to just 2 levels of highlighting. As it is I broke the rules a few times on this commission doing a bit more than I should. Its partly because of the purple range... its like Naggaroth to Xereus is really natural. Then it jumps up to super bright with genestealer. The transition of the reds from... Khorne to Mephiston to Evil Sunz is really smooth. But with the purples you gotta do some blending and whatnot especially when they are flowing into the blues... but thats just beyond the purview of this commission. The Yncarne is just one of those models where if you choose the right colors you can pull of a killer paint job very simply... go with a different set of colors and its really something you gotta treat like a centerpiece kit. But yeah I felt the same way you did, the tabletop+ approach looks awesome on Yvraine and the Visarch but you can see the difference when you scale up to the Yncarne. Anyway thanks man always appreciate your feedback.

@Saim-Dann- Thanks buddy! Yeah I always enjoy painting Eldar though I wish I could paint something besides the freaking Triumvirate. I gotta an Ulthwe one up next! Anyway thanks!

@Ynneadwraith- Lol... you nailed it bud. I'm just an animation fiend at heart  ;D Yeah you got the strategy with the Yncarne as well. Yeah I wonder about the 'eavy metal lads as well. I wonder if they have to build the models too... cause that always changes my opinion on how much I enjoy painting them. Which is why I dont like painting the Yncarne! Anyway thanks!

@Orange- Hey bud thanks so much. Yeah I like the blue and purple too... I thought the paint scheme could have been a bit more ethereal. The one I'm eventually going to do is gonna be very ghostly. As for painting red... I've painted up about 9,000 points of red Corsair themed Eldar and I'm working on a World Eaters army... so I always joke about painting red with my forum bud. You should see my pallet... its a slaughter house of red! lol Anyway thanks for your feedback bud I appreciate it!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #1484 on: October 1, 2017, 04:27:58 AM »
Out of curiosity, Cav, did you encounter any problems with Yvraine? Specifically, the glyphics and runes on her bodysuit? I'm working through her myself right now, and it's a right nightmare to make out the runework. Not sure if it's the model, my brush (which, i'll freely admit, i should probably be using a smaller one) or if i ended up with problems from my basecoat...

Still though, fantastic work, as always. The Yncarne is a bit dark for my tastes, but without a finished product to show for my own efforts, i probably shouldn't talk.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1485 on: October 2, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »
@Lachdonin- Hey bud! Yeah I'm painting my fourth Yvraine and the trick with the body suit runes is just to use the flat end of your thin brush and just gently run it over the runes. If you've already assembled the hair and what not, you just got do your best on the back side of use the tip of the brush to pick out the runes and clean it up afterwards. I just do a sort of rough job on the back side and I'm extra careful when cleaning it up.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2017, 02:29:03 PM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1486 on: October 4, 2017, 08:14:05 AM »
Hey guys! Sorry for the relative lack of updates. But let me tell you... I'm working on some stuff behind the scenes with my Splintermind battle bros thats pretty mind blowing. Can't say anything at the moment but stay tuned... for a possible update on that.

However! I finally finished my World Eater Terminators! BEHOLD! The Butchers Fist!

The photos are pretty crap... the paint scheme is SUPER dark in real life... but again... my camera and the reds.  >:(

So I'm happy with how they came out. I may add some more weathering but I want to sit with the models for a few days before doing so. It took a real long time to assemble, magnetize and paint these guys but at last its done! I'm in the home stretch now towards completing this army. The next two models are already here awaiting assembly and paint. Then only 3 more kits will be required (all cheap) and I'll be good to go! Stay tuned guys and talk soon!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1487 on: October 4, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Very nice, Cavalier!
Is the blood freshly painted just before the photo, or did you gloss it? There's a shine to it that isn't on the armor. Great photography with the Knight in the background too. Have never been a fan of Chaos, however, am keen to see these guys on the table with your Talons... Be well!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1488 on: October 5, 2017, 02:01:30 AM »
Well I'm out for a month or so and come back to this, holy bat poop! You just get better and better, GW needs to hire you to train their painters. Yvraine is simply gorgeous. I really want that set. Termies are just perfect, good wear look.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1489 on: October 5, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »
Oh man your Termies are excellent :) right up my street. I must say the sergeant's my favourite. From the blood-slicked leg to the pallid fleshtones. Really great work :)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1490 on: October 6, 2017, 02:33:22 AM »
Cav, in the nicest possible way I absolutely hate you!
The paintjob on those Terminators is exceptional! The weathering and the blood splatter work really well and to be honest I absolutely love the skin tone on the Sergeant, it's beautifully pallid but looks so smooth. How did you do it? Would work so well for Eldar stuff.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1491 on: October 6, 2017, 08:40:11 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud! The gore effects are actually Blood for the Blood God technical paint. Its absolutley brilliant. I also paint on a little black here and there and a little Typhus Corrosion to give it a dried effect in places. I'm excited to see them hit the tabletop with the Warp Talons as well. Some nice deep strike action... hopefully the Talons will be able to clear bubble wrap so the Terminators can go after choice armor. Anyway thanks!

@Dread- Wow thanks so much bud. Glad you like Yvraine and the Terminators. I've actually just painted a 4th Yvraine and it is really fun. Can't wait to paint my own verison of Yvraine. Might order up that model today. Yeah the Triumvirate set is really cool. Its actually a lot of fun to paint. The Yncarne is a little frustrating to assemble and you gotta be careful with it but its easy to paint. The only problem is the seams and gaps on the undeside of the hair are HIDEOUS! Could have been interlocking pieces quite easily... but other than that its a brilliant set. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Anyway thanks bud!

@Ynneadwraith- Thanks man. I hoped you'd like them. The colors weathering etc is totally your style and I was definitley trying to emulate some of your work. Thanks so much bud always appreciate the feedback.

@Auric's Pride- Hey bro thanks so much man. I totally appreciate it. Yeah it was a lot of fun doing something different. I'm a guy thats super set in his ways so painting these guys up has been challenging. My brother was actually really helpful in doing this as I had hard time remembering how I painted up my original CSM's... but he helped my re-identify the colors. Yeah as for the head on seargant its one of my favorite tricks actually! I do celestra grey just to get a good base. Then I do pallid wych flesh totally covering the whole thing. Then I actually do a Naggaroth Nightshade wash which is the magic trick! I did that on an Ad-Mech project a real long time ago and have been dying to do it again. I did that on some Destroyers and loved the look. Anyway thanks so much for the kind words my friend. Always means a lot. Thanks my man!

@Everybody- Hey guys! So I'll have another update for you guys soon. Finishing up another Yncarne at the moment but also my first HQ choice for the World Eaters. I did a proper conversion (not just a kitbash) and I'm real happy with how it came out. The guy has so much character... I hope he doesnt outshine the TRUE warlord of this army. Anyway stay tuned guys and I'll talk to you soon!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1492 on: October 6, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »
Holy amphetamine parrotballs Cav! Truly amazing terminators there. I loved the test model you did a while back, but seeing all 5 together...you knocked it out of the park. A proper No-Doubt Home Run.

If I were to have to pick out particular bits that I liked, I think I'd just leap in with the Sergeant. The skin tones are wonderful for a start. I love the balance of the cream against the red. I love that the cream allows you to really highlight the blood spatter and allow it to stand out. I love the battle damage, again, especially on the Sergeant.

All in all this is just a wicked awesome update. I'm really looking forward to seeing your next World Eaters projects and then a group photo!

Astounding.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1493 on: October 6, 2017, 07:31:01 PM »
Emulate? Try exceed Cav ;) I'm flattered.

Truly excellent work :)

Oh, and yeah Blood for the Blood God is a wonderful paint. Whoever worked out the formula for it deserves a medal. Really nails the look of blood-slicks and even the consistency when applied (either drybrushed for streaks on a sword, flicked for blood spatter or smeared for...well..smears).

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1494 on: October 11, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »
@Looshkin- Wow! Thanks so much man. So happy you like them. I know I keep saying it but that advice you gave me on the Visarch really inspired me. Every time I sit down to work on these guys I think to myself about going beyond just edge highlighting for a nice looking model. So seriously thanks so much for the kind words. After that advice and for you to be so stoked... well it gets me stoked! lol (god am I an american dude with my lingo or what? lol lol). Oh yeah a group photo that would be super cool! Trust me it'll be coming... because with the Storm Eagle in the background it looks really cool. Anyway thanks so much my friend your feedback is always appreciated!

@Ynneadwraith- lol no seriously you dry brushing, color choices and ability to create texture are really beyond awesome. I'm actually quite crap at all that stuff. Making it smooth and sleek has always been my thing, so I've gotten a ton of inspiration from your awesome work. Anyway thanks so much man. Really glad you dig the Sarge. I love that guy too. Big props to my brother for modelling them because that was a big inspiration! Anyway thanks so much my man I appreciate it!

@Everybody- Well guys the finish line is in sight. Just some more Berzerkers, the warlord and a bit of armor and this army is done! Can't believe it! Never had a second army before... and you can't top World Eaters for that gig. So iconic.

But first... My Exalted Champion is complete. Love this dude. Was inspired by the guys over at Tale of Painters. The rules are sooooo solid. Can't wait to see this guy hit the battlefield.

I used a lot of bits on this guy but the base is Vosh Tattersoul, the Aspiring Champion from the DV boxed set. You know this might be my first proper conversion. I really had to hack this guy apart, green stuff and the like. Not just a kitbash. I'd have to go through my collection to see if thats true... but anyway couldn't be happier with the dude. Check him out!

Alright guys thats it for now. I've got the craziest commission coming up so stay tuned for that. ALL the Triumvirates, Magnus and Mortarion! STAY TUNED!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:20:39 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1495 on: October 11, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
That is most definitely a very impressive Exalted Champion.  The amount of detail that you've picked out with your painting is outstanding.  In addition, the darker red really stands out in comparison to the regular World Eaters.  It makes it seem as though his armour has become more and more red because of the number of battles he has fought and the number of enemies that he has slain.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Orange

« Reply #1496 on: October 11, 2017, 10:28:32 AM »
Wow, he looks stunning. The gore on the chain fist is just right, and the fire on the axe is beautiful.

I like the blue on the tassels, it breaks up the red really well.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1497 on: October 11, 2017, 10:54:42 AM »
Great work Cav!
Absolutely love the painting on this guy, the weapon looks ace and I love the hint back to the old World Eaters colours with the Skulls and Tassels. Any chance of being able to get them all together for a group shot?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1498 on: October 11, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
That power axe is insane! Looks like it's made from molten metal. Every detail on that guy is superbly executed. That's the kind of berzerker I first expected when you started with them Cav, but I know you can't have an entire force made from of ultra customized minis. Keep em coming!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1499 on: October 11, 2017, 04:24:13 PM »
Niiiiice!
The Cavalier brothers tag team has done it again. Big honk'n red beast, charging up the table. VERY well done. Are those tassels scalps? Am sure we've seen them on some of your Corsairs. Can see you've darkened them down a bit, however, they still look a little bright to me... compared to the rest of the model that is.

The weathering, battlefield grime, battle ax and the positioning... Wow!