News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Imperial Guard Forum Megathread - FAQ's and the IG Projects  (Read 22686 times)

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
Imperial Guard Forum Megathread - Rules, FAQ and the Imperial Guard Projects

Quite a lot of players ask questions concerning these topics, so, I have added this topic to group them all together without having to take up the entire first page of the forum. So, here is your FAQ:

- Koonitz

1: Rules all Imperial Citizens Should Abide By
And in case you haven't read the forum rules, you can read them here.
(But, you should have read those already ;) )

2: Official GW Imperial Guard FAQ. Read it.

3: When posting army lists, read this to give you a little help so we don't have to edit your post and do nasty things to you.

4: We are Legion.
Sometimes it's easy to dig in and forget the wider community. Whilst we encourage Imperial Guard specific participation in most of its aspects right here on this board, there might also be a better place for your contributions and questions.

Regarding the Split of IG and IG Tactics and Army Lists. Please post all Tactics advice, game reports and list advice in our Tactics board.

Topic regarding where to post fiction. All fiction, regimental background and so forth must be posted in the Fiction board unless it directly relates to an ongoing Codicium, detailed below in the fiction section of this thread.
Also remember that there are  Battle Report Boards, Project Boards, Conversion Boards, Painting Boardsand Background Boards on the site.

5: For a time, we had a bad streak of "Elitism" on the Guard forum that required my attention. I therefore made an announcement concerning it which, in effect, still stands - Doubly so with the advent of a new book. You can read up on my [Koonitz'] crackdown on Elitism, to make sure it doesn't happen again.

6: Imperial Guard Project Contributions

7: Please ensure your images conform to these standards.
Code: [Select]
[IMG height=450 width=600]URL HERE[/IMG]We have found out that 450 and 600 brings the best results, the image isn't terribly big and it loads quickly for modem users. Exceptions will be allowed of course (for Landscape pictures etc...) but for your average photo or image, this will be the size. Anything over will be resized if we have the time, or deleted and a message left. Also, keep the size of the Image to as close to 40KB as well. Anything really over that, will be deleted. It is your responsability to change the image to a JPEG or whatever.

8: Not sure how to expand your Guard army? Want us to create army lists?  Check this thread.

9: Am I allowed to mix different regiment models in my army?

10: Regarding Flyers
In the past there has been some confusion over how many times a Flyer can shoot in a game turn, here is a Forgeworld Editor's Response to the problem.
***Forgeworld and Gamesworkshop FLYERS all use Apocalypse rules now***

11: Can I use Cadian/Vostroyan/Whatever sniper models instead of Ratlings?
Yes, yes you can.

12: Do you want to showcase Your IG Army?
This is the only place for it.

13: The Blood Pact
Detailed discussion on this popular heretical unit. Everything from doctrines to some sweet modeling here.

14: IG guide to Forge World
You'll find this quite handy I assume!

15: Rough Rider Cycles
Selecting the right bike for your rough riders to use.

16) Imperial Guard Tactics
A project authored and willingly shared by our good and dear friends from Warseer. Click here to read. Usual warning about straying away from the Emperor's Grace and opening third party files.

17) The Praetorians
For those intrested in learning about this regement, where you can buy their troops and their story, click here.

18) Guard Veterans
Who are they, what models can I use for them, and what makes them sooooo much more cooler then a whole platoons worth of troops, click here.

Retired Moddissars

Grim Stalker postings. Grim Stalker was the original founder of the Guard site this forum was based off of, and was one of the original moderators. However, he got sidetracked by reality some time ago and has yet to be seen again. I'm not entirely sure if he shows up just to take a gander at how we're doing, or not, but these are three items he posted:
     a) Support the Site and Community
     b) Introduction
     c) Grim Stalker's Goodbye to the Site

Koonitz: Along with Grim Stalker, Koonitz moderated the first incarnation of this board on 40K online, quite some time ago. Despite ruling with an iron fist, Koonitz was a well respected and sank a fair amount of time into building the community we have today. Like Grim Stalker, he was sidetracked by reality some time ago. Sometimes it is whispered that when the battle is long and fierce, and the tired soldiers stare into the endless night, they can still see Koonitz leading his company forward. Grey wraiths lost to the community forever, and doomed to walk the internet for all time.

Goyder: Goyder was a veteran of site who rose to mod-hood like... a person who rises in a fashion that is particularly noteworthy. Goyder, together with Nubis, established most of what we have today as the Imperial Guard board. The Your IG Army Thread, the rolling up of the Megathread, projects work and Chain of Command. Goyder's incredible talent (and bulk) was noticed by those that reign above the heavens. And he was taken up in a pillar of fire and promoted to be a global moderator. Shortly after that, he disappeared forever.

Nubis: In many respects, Nubis is the unsung hero of the Imperial Guard board. He was the second part of the dynamic duo (together with Goyder) which turned the board from an internet deathworld into a lush paradise. His enthusiasm and ideas cannot be overstated. Nubis' main contributions to this site was actually formulating the Imperial Guard Chain of Command, and really getting people involved in the Imperial Guard project - which is why the Imperial Guard have the most articles published. After serving in this capacity for awhile, Nubis decided to call it a day due to personal issues. He still roams the website now, though it is rumoured he has developed post-traumatic-stress disorder from his ordeal.

Pax Imperator: What can be said of Pax Imperator? To be honest, I don't really know. Pax was promoted (like any other Moderator) because of his consistent good posting to fill a hole left by other moderators leaving. I [Sheepz] was not around for a lot of Pax's just reign, although I believe he served with Rummy and Goyder. He did have a thing for editing picture sizes, if I remember, so make sure you follow the guidelines, or you might get Pax'd. Although he stepped down for one reason or another, he still roams the forum to this day.

Sheepz: I'm(CM) a little bias when it comes to the good Marshal, because he was the one that brought me into the Chain of Command many years ago. He has actually served two terms as the Moddissar of the IG domain. Back when Koonitz stepped down and during the recent change of the guard. Sheepz continued expanding on the work begun by Goyder and Nubis to enhance the IG forums and make them helpful to all members of the community. Opening new projects where members are able to take part and showcase the armies of the IG. His recent leadership in the shake up of the 40th Corps homeworld did not go unnoticed and Segmentum Command has seen fit to raise the good Marshal to higher duties. Don't be surprised if Sheepz makes an unexpected inspection, he sees all still in the 40th Corps.

Last updated 4/12/10

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:33:41 PM by Chosen Man »
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
Re: Imperial Guard Forum Megathread - (Undergoing updates)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 04:23:50 PM »
The Imperial Guard Projects - A Rundown

Greetings, fellow soldiers of the Imperial Guard!

As you may know, the 40k Online Imperial Guard community is one of the largest groups on 40k Online, but looking at the material on the Imperial Guard section of the Frontpage, you certainly wouldn't think it so!

This is unacceptable!  I know many of you are more than capable of contributing to the Imperial Guard Frontpage, so I'd like to see some more participation!

"So how do I help out, oh great Nubis?" I can hear your voices asking...

It's easy!  There are several different projects you can work on.

The first is the Imperial Guard Project.  This includes such things as writing up Tactica articles on specific units, characters, or the Imperial Guard as a whole, fiction and short stories that have to do with the Imperial Guard, and modelling or painting tutorials for Imperial Guard miniatures and tanks.

"How do I join the Imperial Guard Project?"

It's simple.  First you need to start writing an article, and post it either in the Imperial Guard Forum, Imperial Guard Tactics and
Armylists
or Fiction, depending on which category it falls into.  Once this is done, PM Arcas and give him a link to your article and state your intent to help out with the Imperial Guard Project.  You will get the position rank 'Project Contributer' and will now have access to the Project Boards on 40k Online.  We will move your article there once you are happy with the content, and in the Project Boards it can be edited and formatted to be uploaded to the Imperial Guard frontpage.

"But I'm no good at tactics...  I have all this great background written about my army though..."

Don't worry, there's a place for you too!

We are also looking for well developed Regimental Backgrounds for the Imperial Guard 40th Corps Project!

In the past, we thought that the 40th Corps could work by having people sign up and then fulfill their writing obligations, but this is unfortunately not the case.  I have decided to take a new approach to the 40th Corps.  If you wish to join, you must have your completed Regimental Background first, then as we gain members we shall develop a new structure to the 'New Regiments' section of the Imperial Guard frontpage, complete with special responsibilities for people of good standing amongst the Imperial Guard.

"What exactly do I have to do?"

Joining the 40th Corps is more intensive than the projects.  To ensure that participants are dedicated to the 40th Corps and the Imperial Guard Community, I am asking that you post your completed Regimental Background on the Imperial Guard Forum.  We are not looking for just a paragraph or two either, any of the articles found under the New Regiments header are good examples of what I am looking for.

Once you have finished it, you will be given the rank of 'Project Contributer' and your background shall be moved to the Imperial Guard Project for editing, formatting and uploading.

But it doesn't stop there!

Your regiment will be added to the roll of the 40th Corps!  Once we get enough participants, the 'New Regiments' section will be renamed 'The 40th Corps' which will be complete with a proper organization of Regiments sorted into Brigades, Brigades sorted into Divisions and so forth.  Certain outstanding participants will be chosen as Commanders of these formations, and will be in charge of developing the background for their respective formations.

I realize that this is a bit more of a task for some than the Imperial Guard project, but I am confident that we can produce amazing results!

"I'm not the best at writing, but I have wonderful pictures of my army.  Can it be showcased on 40k Online?"

Of course!  The third way to help out is to register your army with the Codicium Imperialis.

This is a registry of the Imperial Guard armies of 40k Online, and the requirements are quite simple:
  • Regiments Designation (i.e. 129th Cadian ) and if applicable Nickname (e.g. The Sundogs)
  • Homeworld/Home System
  • Paragraph of Background - no more then 200 words.
  • 1x Close up image of regular Trooper
  • 1x Close up image of an Officer
  • 1x Close up image of a Vehicle or Support unit that may be classed as 'Heavy Support' for the formation (e.g. Heavy Weapons Squad)
  • 1x Image of your choice.

Note that Images should be of a descent quality, that is they must be in focus to be included, scanned images are acceptable if of good quality, also figures shown should be fully painted (finished) to include base if shown in image.

To be eligible to be listed on the Frontpage, you will need to complete all the requirements above and post them in the Codicium Imperialis thread.  Once that is done, we will take care of the editting and formatting and your army will make an appearance on the 40k Online Frontpage!

"I have pictures, but don't really want to do any writing..."

That is perfectly understandable.  The last option, which requires the least work is to simply host your pictures in the Imperial Guard section of the 40k Online Galleries.  Just because this option has the least work involved, it is by no means unimportant.  We can always use new additions to the Imperial Guard Galleries, and I would recommend everyone who has suitable pictures of their army to submit them to the Galleries.

If you have any specific questions regarding the various Imperial Guard Projects, do not hesitate to PM me and I will do my best to set you straight.

For the Emperor, the Imperial Guard, and 40k Online!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 10:19:15 PM by Chosen Man »
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED