News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Army Idea - Wraiths R Us  (Read 2359 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Army Idea - Wraiths R Us
« on: November 4, 2017, 12:25:18 AM »
Here is my second idea for a list - containing a fair number of, you guessed it, Wraiths!

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds) ++

Craftworld Attribute: Iyanden: Stoic Endurance

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Autarch: Forceshield, Plasma Grenades, Star Glaive, The Path of Command

Spiritseer: Quicken/Restrain, Psytronome of Iyanden

+ Troops +
10x Guardian Defender
. Guardian Heavy Weapons Platform: Shuriken Cannon

10x Guardian Defender

Storm Guardians: 24x Storm Guardian - Chainsword

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Aeldari - Craftworlds)

+ HQ +

Farseer: Doom, Executioner, Singing Spear

Farseer: Guide, Fortune, Singing Spear

+ Elites +

Bonesinger [4 PL, 70pts]

Wraithblades: Ghostswords, 5x

Wraithguard: Wraithcannon, 5x

Wraithguard: D-scythe, 5x

+ Heavy Support +

Wraithlord: 2x Aeldari Missile Launcher, Ghostglaive, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

Wraithlord: 2x Aeldari Missile Launcher, Ghostglaive, Shuriken Catapult, Shuriken Catapult

+ Flyer +

Hemlock Wraithfighter: Horrify

++ Total: [100 PL, 1886pts] ++
7 CP

Tactics and ideas:

Quicken Seer + A wraith unit go into the WWP. Depending on what is needed depends if it is the Wraithblades or the D-sythes that go in. Either way, they get to pop out, move up into charge range, and do some damage.

Rest of the army moves up, and fires, with the Autuarch and Wraithlords hanging more back field.  If they need to move up, the Autuarch will help them hit better, but they are mainly here for horde control. 4d6 missile hits should, hopefully, do some damage to swarms.

So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Army Idea - Wraiths R Us
« Reply #1 on: November 5, 2017, 03:48:35 AM »
Just take a vanguard detachment and fill it up with farseer, spiritseer, wraithguard, blades and Lords. Then take a super heavy detachment with a knight. This is what I'm going to do with mine. With the Lord's and knight you have heavy range as well as cc capability, guard take care of short range anything, blades to mow em in cc and psychers to bolster any of them. Just my thoughts but again I try to play what I think is pure lists for each craftworld. My Saim Hann list is all bikes, grab and flyer, beil Tan, well you get the picture. Hope this helps.

Now as for your list, very nice, I'm not much on T3 models, when I have tougher choices. Plus 10 man guardian units don't survive well at all, historically speaking of course. The hemlock, on point as well as the rest of the list. Will be strong if utilised correctly. Just don't make protecting guardians with other units a priority and it should do fine.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline DuckWake

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: November 5, 2017, 05:25:18 AM »
Rest of the army moves up, and fires, with the Autuarch and Wraithlords hanging more back field.  If they need to move up, the Autuarch will help them hit better, but they are mainly here for horde control. 4d6 missile hits should, hopefully, do some damage to swarms.

You can also use Iyandens 'guided wraith sight' stratagem to grant rerolls to hit targets within 12 of your seer.

Your Wraith Lords can stay mobile when targeting enemies around the seer as they are still hitting 3/4 shots on the move, and if you have a 10 strong wraith axe or wraith cannon squad in the webway with the seer they could deal a lot of consistent damage.

« Reply #3 on: November 5, 2017, 10:20:31 AM »
The reason I was running the bodies of guardians was to try and get more CP. If I just have the Vanguard detachment, I am looking at 4 CP. Burning 3 for a WWP drop then is huge.

I have reworked the list a bit though, taking a Van and a Command Detachment. This pushes me up to 5 CP. Still burning 3 on the WWP. SpiritSeer + Wraith unit, either swords or flamers as needed. Dropping out, quicken, shooting if applicable, hitting assault, and using the Psycatrome relic. Add in Doom and Fortune, and that should realy quite hurt.

++ Vanguard Detachment [54 PL, 1016pts] ++

The Path of War

+ HQ +

Spiritseer: Quicken/Restrain, Psytronome of Iyanden

Spiritseer: Enhance/Drain

+ Elites +

5x Wraithblade: Ghostswords

5x Wraithguard: D-scythe

5x Wraithguard: Wraithcannon

+ Heavy Support +

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment [27 PL, 482pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Wraithknight [27 PL, 482pts]: Starcannon, Starcannon, Titanic Ghostglaive and Scattershield

++ Supreme Command Detachment [19 PL, 328pts] ++

Craftworld Attribute: Ulthwe: Foresight of the Damned

+ HQ +

Autarch Skyrunner [6 PL, 108pts]: Laser Lance, Warlord - Fate Reader

Farseer: 2. Doom, 3. Fortune, Singing Spear

Spiritseer: Protect/Jinx

+ Elites +

Bonesinger

++ Total: [100 PL, 1826pts] ++

By running the Farseer as Ulthwe, and giving him fate reader, I get to roll to get back CP everytime I use it, plus the start of every turn. This should help mitigate the lack of CP to start with, and the fact I am burning 3 right off the back for an alpha strike
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline The Mattler

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #4 on: November 5, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
I was wondering why your lists were looking a bit sparse, but then I realized that you were building by PL instead of points.  The trouble with PL is that, while each PL equals 20pts, the PL cost is set near the upper limit of a unit's potential points cost.  Unfortunately, fractions of 20 usually round up, inflating the cost.  That means you have an incentive to load up each unit with upgrades, most of which would make your units less efficient than if you were building by points.  By all means purchase these upgrades when building by PL, though; otherwise, you get even more ripped off by the PL than usual, especially on characters like Farseers, whose cost is one PL higher just because they have the option of taking a singing spear.

I wrote that little rant to set up a comparison between the first two lists below.  The first one is based largely on the choices you made in your first list, and is built by PL.  The second list is the same strategic concept, but built by points.  From reading the thread so far, your main concerns seemed to be getting the most out of Webway Strike, dealing with large numbers of enemy models, fielding three different loadouts on the small wraith constructs, and efficient use of CP.  I'll address some of those concerns in the lists, and some in the commentary.

List #1: [PL] Iyanden All-in Alpha Strike
IYANDEN VANGUARD
Spiritseer w/Enhance/Drain, Psytronome of Iyanden
Spiritseer w/Quicken/Restrain (Warlord, Seer of the Shifting Vector)
20 Guardian Defender w/2 Bright Lances
5 Wraithblades w/Ghostswords
5 Wraithguard w/D-scythes
10 Wraithguard w/Wraithcannons
Wraithlord w/Ghostglaive, 2 Aeldari Missile Launcher, 2 Flamers
Wraithlord w/Ghostglaive, 2 Aeldari Missile Launcher, 2 Flamers
Hemlock Wraithfighter w/Spirit Stones, Protect/Jinx
Wave Serpent w/Twin Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Spirit Stones, Star Engines, Vectored Engines
Wave Serpent w/Twin Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Crystal Targeting Matrix, Spirit Stones, Star Engines, Vectored Engines

100 PL
2056pts
4 CP

Compared to your first list, this one drops all but 6 PL of characters, the Storm Guardians, and 3 CP in exchange for 5 more Wraithguard and 2 Wave Serpents.  I made those choices because, while the characters are force multipliers, your small units meant that there wasn't much to multiply.  The battle was also a bit haphazard; you wanted to use Webway Strike, but your army was too slow to engage all at once, and taking the time to set up a coordinated strike would have exposed all the models you had on foot to an extra turn or two of enemy fire.  The units selected for Webway Strike were small, and the actual assault required too many moving parts.  Quicken is essential for Scytheguard or Wraithblades to perform a Webway Strike, but it's unreliable and could leave an expensive/important unit stranded.

In the list above, you deploy the Wraithlords and Wave Serpents (Wraithblades, Scytheguard, and Spiritseers) aggressively along with the Hemlock, then put the Guardians and 10 Wraithguard in the webway.  That leaves 5 relatively tough targets on the board with a mix of firepower to soften up the enemy in the first turn.  You should be able to destroy 1-2 vehicles and/or squads pretty convincingly.  Note that the Star Engines and Vectored Engines are incompatible with the Bright Lances on the Wave Serpents because they involve Advancing.  However, most of the targets that can threaten your large models made other large models, so I chose the Bright Lances, but you retain the option of boosting speed and durability if you feel that you can forego some firepower for better positioning (and you can still fire the Shuriken Cannons).  I kept the Aeldari Missile Launchers on the Wraithlords (and gave them flamers) because you were worried about swarms, but you could probably get away with Bright Lances on them too, for cracking hard targets that threaten yours.

As you close with the enemy (probably turn 2), unload your Serpents, deploy 10 Wraithguard and 20 Guardians via Webway Strike, cast your powers, and use your last CP to use Guided Wraithsight.  Fire your Bright Lances, Heavy D-scythes, AMLs, and Wraithcannons (and D-scythes ifnecessary) at tough targets and transports, fire everything else at the soft targets, and charge whatever you can reach with your Wraithblades and Wraithlords.

List #2: [pts] Iyanden All-in Alpha Strike
IYANDEN BATTALION
Spiritseer w/Conceal/Reveal, Psytronome of Iyanden
Spiritseer w/Protect/Jinx (Warlord, Seer of the Shifting Vector)
12 Guardian Defenders
11 Guardian Defenders
11 Guardian Defenders
Wraithlord w/Ghostglaive, 2 Shuriken Catapults, 2 Shuriken Cannons
Wave Serpents w/3 Shuriken Cannons, Vectored Engines

124 PL
1993 pts
6 CP

This list uses essentially the same strategy as the previous one, but it trades out the Hemlock for an extra Serpent, an extra Wraithlord, 13 Guardians, and 2 CP.  Since I have more units, I opted for quantity over quality, equipping shuriken weapons on everything.  I would have bought flamers for the Wraithlords, but I thought I'd be better served by retaining the Shuriken Catapults alongside 4 extra Guardians and 3 Vectored Engines.  The shuriken weaponry also means that I only suffer hit penalties from Advancing, but I can always fire everything.

Another key different is that all of the Guardians are in Serpents, all of the Wraithguard are in the webway, and there are no Wraithblades.  I made that choice because I don't like the idea of each 1 rolled after a destroyed Wave Serpent killing a Wraith construct instead of a Guardian, and it also gives me more control over my heaviest firepower.  Also, Wraithlords suffer less than Wraithblades from Psytronome use.

Switching gears...

The second list you wrote suffers from some of the same problems as the first one, particularly the glut of characters whose buffs are largely wasted.  You sunk 19 PL into getting 1 CP.  Also, remember what I said about each PL being equivalent to 20 pts?  Wraithknights cost 27 PL because they assume that you'll equip them with 2 Heavy Wraithcannons and 2 Starcannons.  Personally, I prefer the Suncannon, Scattershield, and 2 Starcannons because it makes the Wraithknight tougher while giving it something meaningful to do is both the Shooting and Fight phases.  However, if you don't mind the fragility, the 2 Heavy Wraithcannons variant is great for hunting vehicles and monsters.  Please don't equip the Titanic Ghostglaive. @_@  It was never good, despite a mind-boggling  number of people jumping on that bandwagon.  I know the sword looks totally badass, but reducing the shooting output to that of a War Walker while specializing its melee against other Lords of War is too narrow a focus for my liking.  With that in mind, I wrote the following list to see if I could field a Wraithknight alongside other Iyanden units, building by PL just to see what happens.

List #3: Lone Pair
IYANDEN VANGUARD
Farseer Skyrunner w/Singing Spear, Guide, Fortune, Psytronome of Iyanden (Warlord: Seer of the Shifting Vector)
5 Wraithblades w/Ghost Axes, Forceshield
Wraithlord w/Ghostglaive, 2 Bright Lances, 2 Flamers
Wraithlord w/Ghostglaive, 2 Bright Lances, 2 Flamers

IYANDEN SUPER-HEAVY AUXILLIARY
Wraithknight w/Suncannon, Scattershield, 2 Starcannons

100 PL
2039 pts
4 CP

As the name suggests, only 2 of the combatants are alive, the Farseer and half of the Wraithknight. XD  This list is still using Webway Strike, and the entire focus of the list is to keep the Wraithknight intact.  Your goal from turn 1 into kill anything that can realistically threaten the Wraithknight, which usually means vehicles.  The Wraithknight itself focuses mainly on killing things like Primaris Marines, bikers of all sorts, light vehicles, etc., in both the Shooting and Fight phases, but it can switch to any target of opportunity.  The Wraithlords and Wraithblades control more of the midfield and keep the Farseer from getting shot, while the Wraithknight sweeps the table around them.  I included a Farseer because Wraithknights are one of the rare instances of a single model where Guide and Fortune are useful, and the Psytronome is particularly powerful with Titanic Feet.  Interestingly, you can drop one Wraithguard and the list becomes legal for a 2000pts game.  Honestly, it could probably use more bodies and massed firepower, but I wanted to see just how far I could push the focus on Wraiths.  Pretty far, as it turns out. :)
Shuriken weaponry is the pinnacle of antiSpocklizardry in 40k.

« Reply #5 on: November 5, 2017, 06:22:25 PM »
Some very interesting food for thought - thank you.

I have always been drawn to wraith armies, but also uncertain as to their viability. As such, I own none of them actually, and was looking at getting the getting started box as a cost effective way of getting the models.

I do agree that I would much prefer to run points, but unfortunately my meta is a Power Level.... Never less, some interesting points you made.

I really like the 2nd list you made - at 124 power. Seeing if I can work that down slightly to fit better into a 100 power list...

This is what I came up with. Dropped a Guardian squad and a Serpent in favor of rangers, mainly because I can deploy them without the need of a Serpent.

Your point of losing a model to a serpent dying being a guardian over a Wraithguard is a very valid one as well

++ Battalion Detachment ++

+ HQ +

Spiritseer: Quicken/Restrain, Psytronome of Iyanden, Warlord,

Warlock: Protect/Jinx, Singing Spear

+ Troops +

10x Guardian Defender

10x Guardian Defender

5x Ranger

+ Elites +

10x Wraithguard: Wraithcannon

10x Wraithguard: Wraithcannon

+ Heavy Support +

+ Dedicated Transport +

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannon, Star Engines, Twin Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines

Wave Serpent: Shuriken Cannon, Star Engines, Twin Shuriken Cannon, Vectored Engines

++ Total: [100 PL, 1903pts] ++
Flawless logic.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #6 on: November 6, 2017, 06:31:41 AM »
From my recent tournament experience I learned once again that trying to cast anything on 7+ with no Farseer runes is unreliable in the extreme, even with a CP reroll available. If I were you, I wouldn't count too much on that Quicken going off at just the right moment.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

« Reply #7 on: November 6, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »
Interesting. I have done 3 games with quicken so far, and not failed to cast it once. I have always used it on a warlock tho, with the re roll relic, and if I was feeling like I really needed it, burned the strat to add 1 to psychic tests.
Flawless logic.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #8 on: November 6, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
Care to check this list?
Ghost Warriors Strike Force [2000]

Supreme Command [135]

Spiritseer []
Spiritseer []
Spiritseer [] Pystronome of Iyanden

Vanguard Detachment [1392]

Wraithseer [] D-Cannon
Wraithblade x5 [] Ghost Axe and Shield
Wraithblade x5 [] Ghost Axe and Shield
Wraithguard x5 [] Wraithcannon
Wraithguard x5 [] Wraithcannon

Wraithlord [] Flamers x2, AML x2
Wraithlord [] Flamers x2, AML x2

Super Heavy Auxilliary [472]

Wraithknight [] Titanic Ghostglaive and Scattershield, Shuriken Cannon x2

Total = 1999
Drop = 11
CP = 6
PL = 104
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #9 on: November 6, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
Interesting. I have done 3 games with quicken so far, and not failed to cast it once. I have always used it on a warlock tho, with the re roll relic, and if I was feeling like I really needed it, burned the strat to add 1 to psychic tests.
It's strange... Firstly, re-roll relic is Biel-tan only. Secondly, you can't get +1 to cast on a Spiritseer, and it's a Spiritseer that is mentioned as accompanying the deep-strikers. And even if it was Warlock, getting +1 still requires a Farseer to be within 6". Too unreliable to pull imho...
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

« Reply #10 on: November 6, 2017, 04:40:30 PM »
It's strange... Firstly, re-roll relic is Biel-tan only. Secondly, you can't get +1 to cast on a Spiritseer, and it's a Spiritseer that is mentioned as accompanying the deep-strikers. And even if it was Warlock, getting +1 still requires a Farseer to be within 6". Too unreliable to pull imho...

Yup. Was Biel-Tan and a Warlock within 6" of a farseer. Used it to shoot a 10 woman Banshee squad up the front.

@ Haunt - I am not familiar with the WraithSeer. Whats he bring to the table?
Flawless logic.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
« Reply #11 on: November 7, 2017, 08:50:41 AM »
@faith, Hope I enlighten you on that research.. :)

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Dageran

• Armies: Eldar Wraiths
« Reply #12 on: November 7, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »
I'd like to know if you find a strong reason to use the Wraithseer as well. I love the model, but he had a hard time making it into any lists pre codex.

The big problem with the seer now is that it hasn't benefited from the passive buffs that stock Wraithlords got. Since they went up +1 T, +1A +2W, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FW will FAQ their rules to bring it in line.

Offline papagumdrop

• Even in Death we Fight
  • Armies: Eldar, Tyranids
« Reply #13 on: November 8, 2017, 07:34:44 AM »
I love the wraithseer model and will probably pick up one anyways to add to my collection despite not seeing his inclusion in my force. Unless Forge World changes his psyker powers also with the hopeful stat changes. The movement power seems even more subpar now compared to the runes of battle one. Although it is a separate power and would give you two movement powers to use on foot slogging wraithguard.

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
« Reply #14 on: November 8, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
Since they went up +1 T, +1A +2W, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that FW will FAQ their rules to bring it in line.

Wraithlords didn't go up +2W. They've been the lousy 10W (the worst possible number of wounds) since the Index came out.

Offline haunt

• Play and have fun.
« Reply #15 on: November 8, 2017, 11:45:58 AM »
The movement power is the gain here, since you can only use a single power per turn. Which gives the second option.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat