News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Autarch Mobility Options  (Read 1281 times)

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
Autarch Mobility Options
« on: September 13, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »
The Autarch, whom we know and love, benefits a lot from being properly positioned. The Path of Command ability requires careful placement of the Autarch and the units being supported to make sure the benefit is granted. Many of this weapons have a short range, and his assault ability requires good positioning as well. So, what are our options for Autarch mobility, and how do they stack up? Here I examine the 4 Autarch entries in Index: Xenos 1.

Autarch on foot:
Our default Autarch on foot has good Eldar infantry movement and Battle Focus, making for pretty decent mobility. Nothing special here, just a normal infantry unit for Eldar. If this model will be in the backlines, a Reaper Launcher might be a good choice of weapon, since it will let his shooting remain relevant even if the enemy is not close by.

The foot Autarch won't keep up with Wave Serpents or Jetbikes, but is cheap and a good leader for footdar.

Autarch with Warp Jump Generator:
Averaging about three times the speed of a foot Autarch for a small increase in cost, the WJG Autarch loses the ability to charge when using the WJG. This Autarch can still charge, but only if moving as a normal infantry unit. It's also worth noting that this model can't typically charge Flyers, because most Flyers have a rule that says "can only be charged by units with the FLY keyword" and the WJG Autarch only has the FLY keyword when using the WJG, and can't charge when using the WJG. Although this is technically faster than the Autarch with Swooping Hawk Wings, realistically this is "Swooping Hawk Wings without deep strike, skyleap, or ability to assault as easily" without much of a reliable speed advantage due to variance. Great for shooting, though, and cheap.

The Autarch with Warp Jump Generator is very fast, and a great choice for a shooty supporting Autarch.

Autarch with Swooping Hawk Wings:
The Swooping Hawk Wings are a moderate cost increase in return for a doubling of speed, permanent FLY keyword, and both Deep Strike and Skyleap. Compared to the Warp Jump Generator, Swooping Hawk Wings are slower but allow for a lot more options. You can start this Autarch in reserve and deep strike him in on turn 1, avoiding sniper shots, or coming in where he is most needed. Skyleap causes a loss of a turn or shooting (and aura) but could be useful in a pinch. Though the speed of this option is slower than a Warp Jump Generator by about 3.5" average, the constant FLY, Deep Strike, and ability to charge after fast movement (if you don't Advance) add a lot of flexibility.

The Autarch with Swooping Hawk Wings is fast, and a good choice for a shooty or assaulty Autarch, especially one in an army that will attack on two fronts, since he can start in reserve.

Autarch Skyrunner:
The Autarch Skyrunner costs 50% more than the base foot Autarch, making it a very expensive option. However, the defensive benefits (extra toughness, durability) and the guns and weapons tied to the Jetbike make it an intriguing choice. Of the Autarch options, only an Autarch Skyrunner can take a Laser Lance, which is the best Autarch melee weapon and a very solid shooting weapon. A properly equipped Autarch Skyrunner can, from 6" away, fire 4 shuriken shots from his bike, a powerful Laser Lance shot, and another ranged weapon (such as Fusion Gun, Reaper Launcher, or Death Spinner) before charging in and putting out several devastating Laser Lance melee attacks. Very dangerous.

If you want an assaulty Autarch, this is the most powerful choice. The main downside is points cost. The price tag on an Autarch Skyrunner can go north of 120 points very easily, making it an expensive HQ. Except for the survivability of +1 T and +1 W, none of this actually makes the Autarch better at being an aura-provider.

Honorable Mention: Foot Autarch inside a transport with Aspect Warriors
In theory, this should be a section of "Autarch on foot," but the way you use an Autarch that has a transport is different enough it should be discussed separately. An Autarch inside a Wave Serpent will be able to help out Aspect Warriors when they hop out, adding to their shooting, and assaulting. As he is inside the transport with them he will be able to keep up without difficulty. An Autarch with a Power Sword and Fusion Gun comes in under 100 points and would go well with any mechanized army. Of course, he won't be providing bonuses foot units that don't have rides, or their transports themselves in the first turn or so when he is inside the transport. If you don't need to apply the aura to units outside of the transport on early turns, and your Autarch will mostly stick with the mechanized unit, this is a fine (and cheap) choice. A mechanized list might still want to consider a jump pack or skyrunner Autarch to provide support for the Wave Serpents, but a transported foot Autarch works fine and won't get hit by snipers early on.

I'm working on an Autarch right now, I may try to magnetize him to either be on foot or have Swooping Hawk Wings. What's your favorite way to run an Autarch?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:38:42 PM by Blazinghand »
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: Autarch Mobility Options
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
I love mine on Bike, with Lance and Fusion gun. Pricey? Yes. But well worth the cost IMO.

I run him with 2 three man Shrunken Cannon bikes and want to add some bright lances to the force too. The fire power those two unit put out is quite nice, they buffer him from getting targeted. They tend to die by the end of turn three, but by then he is backfield jumping from artillery piece to dev squad and just wrecking it
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »
I love mine on Bike, with Lance and Fusion gun. Pricey? Yes. But well worth the cost IMO.

I run him with 2 three man Shrunken Cannon bikes

Try running him with Shinning Spears :)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »

That's my next purchase lol. They look so deadly
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:58:56 AM »

That's my next purchase lol. They look so deadly

Here's a fun little detachment:

Outrider Detachment- 498 pts
Autarch Skyrunner with Laser Lance, Fusion Gun
3 Shining Spears, 1 is Exarch with Star Lance
3 Shining Spears, 1 is Exarch with Star Lance
3 Windrider Jetbikes with Shuriken Cannons

I'm not sure about the Windriders yet, but I don't actually own more than 6 Shining Spears, so this may be what I have to go with. 500 points is a lot, and I'm not sure if these bikers can earn it back, but it's got a lot of shots and attacks at Strength 6, as well as two Star Lances and a Fusion gun. It seems like a good Terminator or Bike killer unit, or a character hunter. Assuming here the Windrider Jetbikes do stuff like screen off chargers, provide fire support, nab objectives, or absorb overwatch, while the Shining Spears and Autarch do the heavy lifting. This seems like a scenario where you'd definitely prefer Skyrunner to any other Autarch mobility option.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:04:48 AM »
I've gotten more bang for my buck with an Autarch on bike than any other HQ. Running with Shining Spears he's a beast against infantry. The shuriken fire, the lance and the melta gun (very optional IMO) is seriously awesome. Especially with Ynnari rules... this guy can be a real terror when he makes contact. Especially if you can match him up against characters while the Spears tackle the squads they are bubble wrapped with.

I love these guys against Imperial Guard big time. They can really hunt down Comimssars and Company Command squads which they pretty much insta-kill.

Can't recommend the Skyrunner enough

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 01:36:42 AM »
Yep. Skyrunner Autarch for the Win!
Give him a few Spears (and Exarch w/StarLance of course), and there are few models on the board that withstand the fury.

I'm a Shining Spear user since 3rd ed. and they are a mainstay in my lists.

The other Autarch is one on foot with the Serpent and either Banshees or Dire Avengers.

Offline Iluvhir Strafermeyer

• Ambassador of Craftworld Beaujl'blef
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 04:02:09 PM »
I'll throw in my vote on the Autarch Skyrunner as well. I feel like he's the only version of the Autarch that'll do some actual damage and not just hang around as a buff bot.
I, too, love Shining Spears and I use them in (probably) 90% of my lists. Spears are very good in this edition and they are a great unit choice to run with the Skyrunner.
That being said, they rarely perform above average for me. I think this is mostly because they are such a high threat target and I never run melee heavy lists because I feel this edition still favours shooting.
As a consequence they get picked out early on, so I always rely on quite a bit of luck to have them survive to make it into range. Even so, in my latest game, only the Exarch and one additional Spear made it into CC, but they still took out a 5 man devastator squad. I had the Autarch charge something else to tie that up in CC.

It's without a doubt my favourite thing to run, though, and it's quite versatile as well.
In conclusion, if you are yet to try out the Autarch Skyrunner with a squad of Spears (make sure you take at least 5), you really should. :)
"Consider the battlefield: it is essentially a dawn in grim guise. It is a scenario in which darkness meets light and is annihilated by it.
Imagine that the enemy are the shadows lurking in the night - The arrival of our warhost is like the sun's light breaking the horizon. Let the Bladestorm expel the darkness."

Beaujl'blef Philosophy

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 05:54:09 PM »
5 spears is good, but once you add the Autarch the unit starts to take up alot of space on the board, making them hard to hide. Additionally try to keep them away from volume fire.