News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Hemlock Wraithfighters- The star of CWE?  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Arufel87

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Hemlock Wraithfighters- The star of CWE?
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »
I must admit to never having owned one of these however on paper they seem really good for the points. I figured that with conceal up then enemies will be at -2 to hit. This makes them pretty durable. Getting them within 16" is easy enough and the heavy D-scythes do some decent damage considering they auto hit. On top of that you could use a smite to cause a few extra mortal wounds. On average it should be dropping a light-medium vehicle a turn. It's also a threat to multi wound models like the primaris too. I'm seriously considering a couple of them for an anti elite/tank role.

Does anyone have some experience running them this edition? Are they as decent as they seem on paper?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Hemlock Wraithfighters- The star of CWE?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »
Hemlocks are good as a fire soak and the D-Scythes means it can't be ignored like some other things, but it can't be the only threat on the board. Like all Eldar units, it is how it fits with the rest of your army, they don't do well, if it's the only big threat on the board.

Conceal is great when it goes off, but it is very hit and miss, I've played a few games where it just doesn't go off at all. I will also add that when conceal goes off, people redirect the fire at something else as they don't really want to waste the shots.  Additionally there is a fair number of 8" autohit weapons, they will munch it, so be very mindful of where you place it on the board.

I field 1 at 1500 points, 2 at that point level might leave your army unbalanced. I wouldn't have a problem fielding 2 at 2k.

I'm currently toying with the idea of using Horrify, Mind Shock Pod, and Shadow Spectres, maybe sneaking in a Death Jester as well lol.

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
So I had been making the assumption that hemlocks were going to be beat by crimson hunters on pure AT... and I was wrong. I just ran the numbers and, all things being average, the hemlock comes out on top. Even assuming a full 6 damage from the hunter's lances and a full 3 shots from the hemlock, hemlock still wins (and this is NOT counting smite if you decide to use it). It seems to come down to the auto-hit, which is just far to valuable for ensuring the hemlock connects its shots. The only problem I see is range. Having to be within 16 inches will make it more vulnerable than the hunters.

Just like with my wraithscythes, I would save command points for when my hemlock rolls a 1 on its shot number. With my scythes, using command points this ways proved to significantly boost their damage. Sure you could roll another 1, but often times I got 2 or 3 shots instead. It may not be as worthwhile on a hemlock, but it is something worth considering.

Offline Adrastos

• Infinity Circuit
  • Echoes in the void...Death your guide.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 02:04:40 PM »
I have an unassembled flier and these things are just too good to pass on for any serious play. Going to be building one and putting it in some lists. The funniest thing is; due to auto-hit, they make some of the best anti-flier units in the game.

This is truly the edition of anti-air flamers. Its just that Eldar have the best flamers. Who knew!?
I do not need to kill you Mon-Keigh, you will kill yourself.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »
Just pick a body style you like and magnetize the guns. Very simple. I suspect balancing changes when the codex comes out. I have a feeling the heavy D-Scythe will have the auto hit removed.

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »
Just pick a body style you like and magnetize the guns. Very simple. I suspect balancing changes when the codex comes out. I have a feeling the heavy D-Scythe will have the auto hit removed.

In all honesty, while that is certainly a major factor behind what makes them so powerful, I don't see a justifiable reason for them to not auto hit. They are flamers like the wraithguard-sized versions right? All flamers auto-hit right now. If they have to rebalance these weapons I think they will do it in some way other than changing the auto-hit.