News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330891 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1340 on: July 5, 2017, 03:11:50 PM »
Nicely done, Cavalier!
Although not much of a fan of the look of DE troop, have always liked their vehicles. Wise choice with the white sail against the red/gold. Clean and smooth. It's hard to tell with the shine of the metallic, so do you highlight the gold as well?

Thanks for answering my questions, mate. I find it fascinating to be in contact with a pro model painter. I'm sure I'm not the only one on the forum to feel fortunate to have access to your experiences... Saim-Dann-the-Saim-Hann-Man? Bwahaha, good one!! 

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1341 on: July 6, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »
I love that Yncarne Cav. The transitions up to orange on the body are sublime and really make the figure pop. Especially when considered in context of the very deep, rich, red/black towards the base of the Soul Swarm (Feels wrong calling it smoke!!).

The spot colours are well chosen and executed.

I feel bad levelling any criticism at this wonderful piece, but for me, the profile from the back of the model is a touch monotone, as is the Should Swarm about an inch from where it joins the Yncarne. Chances are, it's also a product of the photo washing out some of the highlights, as alwatys happens. The difficulty of having an all red palette is that to provide dynamic contrast is very difficult...so I feel for you as far as the client's brief is concerned!

Those (Frankly minor) concerns are overshadowed by how clean the finish is and how good the extreme points of the model look. It's a terrific model and one that you should rightly be proud of!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1342 on: July 6, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Where do I start?! I've had half a reply written up for ages, but each time I come to post it you've got a new update to comment on!

Bummer your first game wasn't quite what you expected, but glad you got some good insights into how 8th is panning out :)

You're Yncarne looks absolutely kickass :) I like how your paint scheme means that the swirly gak doesn't draw the eye away from the model itself, which I find is a major problem with the official scheme.

Great to see the old Storm Guardians getting some love :) those are some of my favourites of your models and they're looking sharper than ever with a fresh lick of paint :)

Shame to hear about Corsairs losing some of their uniqueness with the lack of HQs, but hoping something comes out for them soon. Perhaps it's a herald of a FW character, but I doubt it somehow.

Oh, and Raiders are beautiful models. Glad to see them making an appearance :)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #1343 on: July 7, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud! Yeah I dont really highlight my gold. What I do is I put a heavy wash of Reikland Fleshwash on it, then repaint the areas which you'd normally highlight, with just a clean coat of Retributor gold. It sort of achieves the same effect. For some reason I just dont like the look of Liberator Gold as a highlight. No problem on answering question I always enjoy it. Thanks bud!

@Looshkin- Thanks so much bud. Really appreciate the kind words. I hear you on the back of the model... the part I photoed is kind of the boring part... if I took it at a different angle, you'd see that dark monotone energy swirl was made under stated to show the bright orange backside of the Yncarne herself which deserves to be showed off (she must do squats at the infinity circuit gym) lol  ;D ;D ;D Anyway thanks so much Loosh I truly appreciate it bud!

@Ynneadwraith- Hey thanks man. Glad you like the Wyches and Yncarne. They've all been fun to work on. The Raider has been a lot of fun too... its such a nice model. I'm gonna repaint my other one too, so I'm glad you like it. Yeah I'm not sure whats going on with FW... their is errors and mistakes throughout all the indices they've released. The standard Corsair kit isn't even available for purchase... and the Special Weapons teams dont come with lasguns anymore... This isn't the FW I know and love! Anyway thanks man truly appreciate the feedback its always appreciated. Sorry for spamming the plogs too! lol  8)
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1344 on: July 7, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks so much bud. Really appreciate the kind words. I hear you on the back of the model... the part I photoed is kind of the boring part... if I took it at a different angle, you'd see that dark monotone energy swirl was made under stated to show the bright orange backside of the Yncarne herself which deserves to be showed off (she must do squats at the infinity circuit gym) lol  ;D ;D ;D Anyway thanks so much Loosh I truly appreciate it bud!

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Taking photos is brilliant for a synopsis of the model, but not very good at telling the whole story. It really is a very cool piece and I'm awfully jealous of it!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1345 on: July 7, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks bud. So true about the photography... I'm so crap at taking photos. You wouldn't believe how many times I forgo and update just because I can't get a good photo (you'll notice my finished unit of Warp Talons haven't been featured for exactly that reason). Anyway thanks Loosh appreicate it bud!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1346 on: July 7, 2017, 11:12:25 PM »
that sail just looks super clean :)

Did you known when Ep 34 of splintermind was going up?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1347 on: July 10, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »
@Mage- Thanks buddy. Hey sorry for the late reply I was hoping the episode would be up. But Brian who edits has been really busy with parental duties. It should be up soon. We are recording the next episode this Sunday so I think this month is gonna be a double-feature. Thanks for listening by the way and hopefully the episode will be up soon!

@Everybody- Hey guys... well I was hoping to come back with a triumphant battle-report... and while I did win my last game... I CHEATED! Well not on purpose... but I included my Striking Scorpions in my army when I didn't pay any points for them! Couldn't believe it... but I was copying and pasting units left and right trying to get my army just right and I must have removed them at some point on accident but simply assumed they were in the list. Huge mistake on my part...

But anyway I did want to give you guys some highlights and insights on the game, because regardless of the Scorpions who only played a minor role in the game (way off in the corner harassing 2x10 manIG infantry squads) ... I played really, really well.

So I played a Ynnari list again and the MVP's were.... my Wraithguard with D-Scythes and my Dark Eldar Wyches!!! Can you believe it? The Wyches and Wraithguard were an incredible combination. Together they wiped out a 50 man Conscript squad, 1x10 infantry squad, a unit of Scions and 2 Special Weapon teams. Using Soulbursts to trigger double-tap with the Wraithguard was obviously awesome... but the movement shenanigans were SO POTENT.

The Wyches were incredibly good and so versatile. They were bouncing all over the place and with their pistols in combat really packed a punch in combat. I'm so impressed with them and can't wait to run them again.

Also the combo of Hornets, Warp Hunter and Dark Eldar Scourges with lances has been awesome. While I only faced a single tank (a Basilisk) and a Valkyrie this time out they aced the Basilisk turn 1... and the freaking Scourges sacked the Valkrie in a single volley and also pounced on an exposed Warlord, pumping 3x Lance shots into him.

Also Illic Nightspear and his Rangers really shined in this game. They took out 3+ characters and also racked up a good amount of wounds on other guys. Those Conscripts (which are amazing BTW) were losing guys in droves from Morale (also affected by the Phanstasm Grenade Launcher from the Wyches) after Illic and his lads took out the IG characters. Incredible!

SOOOOOOO I'm impressed with this combination I took, even with 150+ points I was working with from the Scorpions (who were similarly good this game, I had way better model placement/deployment this game).

I rocked so hard I almost tabled my opponent and he had upwards of 200 models on the board!

So anyway guys... sucks I accidentally included my Scorpions when I shouldn't have, but it was such insight into how Eldar work now. I'm very excited! Anyway guys stay tuned I'll have more bat-reps and hobby stuff soon. Take care guys!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:10:07 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1348 on: July 10, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
G'day Cavalier!
So that's how you get people to read your batreps... Photos and win the blessed thing.
Forgot your Scorpions weren't on the list? Or maybe a Freudian slip?
Good to see Eldar synergy works in 8th, mate. Scout takes out the characters, THEN the Wraith Guard/Wyche's combo... Niiiiice! Well played, Cavalier... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1349 on: July 11, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Cats out of the bag now Cav! You're a WAAC cheesy cheater! 'Forgot' your Scorpions? Was their Camouflage too good for you to notice them?

I still think the best thing to do would be to set up a unit of Rangers or Scorpions in a building before the game and then just start using them on turn 2 or 3, once the chaos has taken over  ;)

Congrats on the win. I'm really pleased to see that the Rangers and Illic paid their points over multiple times (And for those thinking that IG characters are pretty cheap, you absolutely have to factor in the Morale Losses as Ranger kills. They don't happen without them killing Commissars).

Now go and win without cheating  ::)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 02:48:36 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1350 on: July 12, 2017, 08:38:41 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Yeah my assumption is that my Scorpions are ALWAYS in my list. I'd never take them out. I must have accidently cut them when I was copying and pasting from my little index of units (with all their points pre-calculated). Pretty big goof. But yeah I was so excited about what was going on with the Rangers, Wyches and Wraithguard it makes me feel a little less bad. Still big time goof. Anyway thanks Dann!

@Loosh- Cheater.... CONFIRMED!!! lol You had me laughing there bud. Its sort of the reverse of what usually happens where I forget my Rangers are even on the board... especially when I put them in ruins. Same thing has happened with my Scorpions in the past too.

Yeah its SOOO much fun with the Rangers and Illic. I've always loved them... I remember saying back in the days of 2nd ed... why dont the Eldar have a sniper assassin. When he came out I just had to get him. Now he's absolutely killer. Its been great to go up against 2 really competitive builds and put them to the test too. Even when I was throwing ice cubes for dice in the beginning of the first game... it was Illic and his lads that got the ball rolling in taking apart the cohesiveness of the IG infantry horde.  I'm really hoping to field him against Necrons and KO those Cryptecs and see what they can do there too. Illic should really shine with his re-rolls against Necrons.

Anyway thanks Loosh, your funny comments always get me.

Now... on to victory... without cheating  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1351 on: July 12, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
Not cheating....creativ e stratigising. No harm, no foul, haha. Love the paint as always and the game sounding like real fun with a few gotcha moments. I still haven't got to play, oh well life goes on. But I have you to live vicariously thru so it all good. Now go get me some more victories.....CHEAT ER! Bwahaha!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1352 on: July 13, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
@Dread- Thanks bud! Hope you are able to get a game in soon. And I'll try to curb my "creativity" in regards to strategy next time lol. Thanks bud hope you are doing well. Talk soon!

@Everybody- Hey gang... well in the brief interim between comissions... I've been BUSY! I've been so excitred to play all the new units I've gone back and completley repainted my Wyches... (I finished my Raider too, just forgot to take pics).

I also made a new counts-as Drahazar/Visarch/Archon to lead the Incubi I'm currently repainting!

I love these models... I made them so long ago... probably back in 2010... so repaint them for all the glory that lies ahead has been a huge treat. Anyway hope you guys enjoy....

http://splintermind.libsyn.com/

Also do check out the latest Splintermind episode. Its finally up... The first segment the audio is a bit messed up, but the second segment with Gav Thorpe is perfect. The interview went really well and there is TONS of interesting info from Gav on his work experience with GW, the codex creation process... and loads and loads and loads of insight into the culture of the Eldar. Anyway I hope you do check it out and please give some feedback if you have any thoughts. Alright guys talk to you later and thanks for stopping by!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1353 on: July 13, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
http://splintermind.libsyn.com/

Also do check out the latest Splintermind episode. Its finally up... The first segment the audio is a bit messed up, but the second segment with Gav Thorpe is perfect. The interview went really well and there is TONS of interesting info from Gav on his work experience with GW, the codex creation process... and loads and loads and loads of insight into the culture of the Eldar. Anyway I hope you do check it out and please give some feedback if you have any thoughts. Alright guys talk to you later and thanks for stopping by!

YEAH! Downloading it now.

Drahazar really boosts incubi, but its not like they need him like Banshee's and Jain Zar.

The KW with the glaive is looking sweet as.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1354 on: July 13, 2017, 11:18:11 PM »
G'day Cavalier!
Looking nice as always, mate. Does the horn have any rules? Or is it just for decoration? Haven't listened to the Podcast yet. Looking forward to it... Pointy ears forever!! 

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1355 on: July 13, 2017, 11:47:06 PM »
Very nice conversation. Love it all. Doing okay, doc says arthritis. I'm getting some grips to put on my brushes to help with the pain, keep my fingers more relaxed. Gonna try some big corks. I haven't got to play 8th yet but been playing some shadow wars. My skitarii against sisters. Alot of fun. Would post pics but haven't figured out Imgur yet. Keep up the great work and hope you're well.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #1356 on: July 15, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »
Good lord, that's a fantastic army you've got there Cavalier!

Good paint job, and absolutely fantastic conversions, loving it  :)
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1357 on: July 15, 2017, 07:20:23 AM »
@Magenb- Thanks so much bud. So glad you are enjoying the podcast. If you ever have any topics you are interested in hearing us cover let me know. I'm keeping a running list of units to playtest or investigate when we break down all the non-DE stuff as we go forward.

Totally. Dharazar is definitley not needed, but he seems like such a badass I gotta run him. I wanna see how much he can murder before he goes down. Thanks for the Incubi compliments too I love these dudes and spent so much money to get them in metal. No sooner did I collect and paint them, than they took away the Phantasm Grenade Launcher and they became useless. Anyway thanks bud I appreciate it!

@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud. Nah the horn sadly doesnt have any special rules. Though that'd be funny if I used it as a Phantasm Grenade Launcher lol. Anyway thanks as always Dann and let me know if you liked the interview!

@Dread- Hey bud. Arthritis sucks. I've got in my shoulder despite my relatively young age, just from injury (along with my back). So I feel your pain man. Hang in there bud. Also if you cant figure out IMGR, try flickr... its super easy. It even gives you the code to share on forums. Thats what I use! Anyway bud... sending the good vibes your way as always my friend. Take care bud and get in some games!

@Seekingone- Hey Seeking One thanks for stopping by! Thanks so much for the kind words really glad you dig my army. I'm on an Eldar kick right now as I save up money to get the last batch of models for my World Eaters so I hope you continue to enjoy the updates. Thanks for stopping by and dropping me a line, I really do appreciate it! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #1358 on: July 17, 2017, 11:40:19 AM »
Hell yeah! You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear of Wyches kicking arse ;)

Your updates ones are sharp as ever, and shall give the podcast a listen as soon as poss :)

Congrats on the win too :) i'm sure it would have turned out broadly similar even without the unintentionally padded list ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1359 on: July 24, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
@Ynneadwraith- Thanks so much man. Yes! Wyches are EXCELLENT! Expect to see plenty of them as I continue. Appeciate the kind words as always man, especially from one of my hobby-bro's. Thanks man!

@Everybody- Hey guys! Been a little while. But I managed to finish not only my new DE HQ option (I'll pretty much play him as an Archon, Succubus, a Klaivex or Drazhar depending on the build). Not only that but I finished my Incubi repaints as well. So stoked to have these guys back in the fold... So check them out!

Also my brother finished up his Wyvern and I wanted to share them with you. My brothers skills have really sharpened up lately. I think this model came out fantastic! Wait till you see the Chimera he's working on... its equally awesome. Congrats to my brother on an awesome paint job.

I've got a bat-rep in the works for you guys too. So stay tuned for that, and I'll have another soon after me and my brother have a throw down this weekend.

Also! One final note... Just a headsup... I'm gonna be taking my Eldar in a new direction thematically going forward. Expect some really cool kitbashes and some very themed armies going forward. 5 new units are in bound... This'll be a short term revamp (very small units) but the playstyle is going to be very different. The Incubi and Wyches are part of that... but I cant say anymore than that. I'll be a little less cryptic as soon as I begin hobbying up the new units. So I hope you guys will look forward to it. Anyway guys thats it for now. Take care and talk soon!