News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Does anyone use the standard BRB Warlord Traits?  (Read 5442 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Does anyone use the standard BRB Warlord Traits?
« on: March 20, 2015, 10:16:49 PM »
Especially that almost all armies now have their own up to date Codex, with their own Warlord Trait tables which are usually more powerful/useful to them?  I know that the strategic trait table has some useful ones but what about the others?

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Does anyone use the standard BRB Warlord Traits?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2015, 10:20:29 PM »
I know when the Dark Angels got their current codex, I stopped using the traits in the BRB altogether, as they were really the only army that I have played since.  Having picked up the Harlequins, I feel that their traits are more beneficial for how the army operates than the ones in the core book, so will be sticking with them.  Plus, having the three tables to choose from really gives some added variety to how I want to run the army.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »
I have personally only been using the eldar traits, they might not be the best out there but i like to play them for over fluf reason. I mean they are in my codex why would i look somewhere else.
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 11:02:16 PM »
I think the strategic traits are still the best ones. When I play my blood angels, I use the relic that gets me a bonus strategic trait. All of them are great to have.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 11:08:40 PM »
Yeah that's the issue I see with them too.  In general they aren't as useful as the Codex specific traits.  At least the Codex ones are always somewhat useful to you in some capacity.  As an IG player I wouldn't have much call for coordinated assault or master of offense for example.  Strategic traits are definitely the best of the lot though.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »
BRB strategic traits are where its at. I only play Codex options, and the personal/command traits when its a campaign game and I can choose. To many stinkers in the Eldar dex, though the Iyanden traits are quite nice especially with a Wraithknight as warlord.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
As a Blood Angels player, I really like the Command Traits.

#1 Is handy for a Ld boost to all nearby units. Least useful, but still better than a kick in the teeth.

#2 Is not great, but can help to rout an enemy in a single charge, which is good for the way I play.

#3 Is good to help ensure charges are successful into difficult terrain. My charges often are.

#4 Is good to help ensure charges whether into difficult terrain or not. I'd prefer #3, but this is still good.

#5 Is handy because I tend to use a good number of close-range shots, and having PE junior in the shooting phase doesn't hurt. Works really well with an Auspex to reduce cover saves.

#6 Is good for a choppy army, to get more hits! Particularly, since I tend to have WS 5 on my main assault unit. :)

Strategic is also pretty good, though I actively wouldn't want Master of Ambush for my playstyle. If I go second, I want to be able to charge anything that moves forwards! If I go first, it's not too bad, though, so a 1/12 chance to get something I don't want isn't too bad.

The BA table, on the other hand, isn't that impressive to me. I would tend to take either a Sang Priest with Valour's Edge for my Warlord, or a Lib Dread if I'm feeling like a for the giggles list. In that case...

#1 Is good if outnumbered, which they typically are.

#2 Is good for a Valour's Edge equipped SP, but even then, he's in a squad that's going to chop things up so thoroughly that his attacks at higher Initiative don't mean too much. A Lib Dread is going to use Quickening anyway, so higher I anyhow.

#3 Is useless to a SP [Yippee! Master Crafted Bolt Pistol, but quite good for a Lib Dread's Force Halberd. SP is my go-to, so I'd reroll if possible.

#4 Is crap. I face few psykers, and almost no incoming fire / maledictions. Everyone knows that Blessings are where it's at these days. Reroll if possible.

#5 Is crap, for me. I don't Deep Strike my Jumpers, so the only benefit is specifically rerolling reserves for a Storm Raven that I often use. Only useful 1/3 games. Reroll if possible.

#6 Isn't something I like, as Fearless prevents my option to go to ground. On a model with Max Ld, it's just not that great. Better with AM allies, I suppose, but that's situational to games I take allies and happen to roll this trait. Reroll if possible.

So I don't like the BA traits from the codex. I'm fishing for either #1 or #2  with a Sang Priest, or #1 and #3 with a Lib Dread. The Flesh Tearers Strike Force traits are notably more useful if you're looking for a Beatstick Warlord, and using that FOC.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 10:04:34 AM by Spectral Arbor »

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 10:27:50 AM »
Now that is interesting.  Thinking about it, the vanilla marines warlord trait also seems a bit pants too tbh. 

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »
Yeah. Assuming you're using Lord Death of Murder Mountain, riding his trusty steel steed, and he's joined some Grav Bikers... I'd really want Storm of Fire, with The Imperium's Sword and Iron Resolve being distant 2nds.

I also don't like the AM traits, as I use a CCS for my Warlord. They're powerful, but only if you built your list towards that result. Grand Strategist is amazing, if you roll a 2+ on the D3... and you have a 20+ squad geared towards mobility / cc that can accompany something like a Banewolf that would absolutely kick ass to outflank with. But if you don't have those units, you wind up thinking, "Hmm... should I outflank the Scions I was going to deepstrike? If I outflank that Russ and no dudes show up with it, it's just going to be assaulted to death with Krak grenades... why didn't I at least take fire barrels on it?" ;)

Old Grudges is a nice grab, if you don't already have Kurov's Aquila, which I would at 1500 pts or more. At fewer points, if I knew I would get it, I'd rock a Plasma-Death squad instead of MoO / Lascannon. It leverages the Blast a bit, rerolling 1's to wound and all, and ignoring cover... tee hee... but massive Plasma that ignores cover would be amazing with the rerolls. Unless your opponent is running allies, at which time the benefit is questionable.

Draconian Discipline doesn't help me much. These days I have my Commie led blob, sometimes a PCS, and my CCS hanging out at the back. The CCS starts in a Chimera, and if the PCS gets shot and runs it's not a big deal, they were just there for looks anyway, maybe to run the Quad-gun.

Bellowing Voice does next to nothing for me, as he's castled up inside an Aegis. Everything is, by necessity of hiding inside the wall, within 12" already. If I had a CCS that advanced with other units, I'd be able to spread out a bit more, but even then the benefit is pretty minor.

Master of Command gives me an extra order... to give to nobody. If I was rocking the AM equivalent of MSU, with a Lord Commie, that would be different.

So yeah, below 1500 points I might go fishing for Old Grudges, as I'd be more likely to use a Plasma-Death Squad or the like. Otherwise, I'd roll on a BRB table.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
Does anyone ever bother to use the Personal Trait list?  That one seems to be the weakest list, except for maybe tactical (although I've yet to play a 7th ed. game so I wouldn't know).

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 12:14:42 PM »
Does anyone ever bother to use the Personal Trait list?  That one seems to be the weakest list, except for maybe tactical (although I've yet to play a 7th ed. game so I wouldn't know).

Tactical could be nice if you're Playing with strategic cards. Discarding extra cards and gaining extra points is really nice, but Personal traits are pretty terrible. However, getting Eternal Warrior on a beat-stick character can be awesome.

I think command and strategic traits are where it's at.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 12:19:36 PM »
I think command and strategic traits are where it's at.

Yep, we're in agreement.

And if the Personal Traits are the worst, then I know what I must do.....

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
I think some of the personal traits can be useful, but I don't want to risk rolling on the table in fear of getting something I cant, or won't use. For example, outflank sounds cool, but I won't outflank my HQ by it's self. I think that the 5th and 6th results are good to have, if you cannot get those rules otherwise.

Some codex's have some good warlord traits too, but I find that all the results on strategic can be good, same with command.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria