News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork objective markers  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Joshiantor 98

• Ork Boy
  • Gir now also dances better than you!
Ork objective markers
« on: June 18, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
 I was thinking as i played today as my orks fought ferociously with the forces of the space wolves over the devlan mud pot of ultimate power, how much it takes away from the game and the board as a whole when me and my friends have paint pots dotted around for objectives and I resolved to solve this problem.

However here is my problem I can not think of any ideas of how to make some quality objective markers so thought I would ask for any ideas on how to make any all purpose objective markers and some ork specific ones.

Offline Kedolan

Re: Ork objective markers
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
Bitz are your friend here. I recently set about making some small, basic objective markers for my IG army, using extra bitz off a bunch of random sprues I had lying around. I made one with a small pile of greenstuff with a bunch of grenades and a spare grenade launcher ammo box (the greenstuff below it to make it look like a larger pile, with the TNT on top where you can see it), to represent an ammo dump, and stuck it all on a  spare small round base. I made another by taking 2 vox units and putting them back to back (with a little clipping/cleaning to make them fit better) and put a little radio dish thing I had off one of my vehicle spure (I think it was probably from a rhino or something, no clue) to make it look like some kind of beefed up communications unit.

I made a handful of others, but you get the gist of it. I imagine for ork ones you could probably make some kind of bosspole looking thing. I haven't gotten an ork kit since they came with 16 "space ork boys" so I'm not sure what kind of bits come in them these days, but you could get some popsickle sticks or something, break them up to look more orky, and put the top of the bosspole on the top of it (so it's tall enough to scrap over; no ork would want a small trophy, after all). You could also try getting as many spare guns/tank parts/bit of metal/etc, to make it look like something a mek would love to get his grubby hands on, for a more general-purpose marker.

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:45:51 AM »
My favourite is always a console with a big red button on it.
Also a cluster of barrels on a 60ml base or a crate with a parachute on it to look like a supply drop. Wounded men work well for other armies but don't tend to work so well for orks.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »
I took a hobby saw to a spare Assault on Black Reach dreadnought for my objective markers. I figure; who doesn't want a dreadnought?

Offline Azonalanthious

• Biker Nob | KoN Veteran
  • When in doubt, use more explosives.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:19:14 PM »
For orky objectives, I think the funnier the better.  I didn't model them, but story wise (and want I told the the other player) a couple of my objectives were the warboss's metal jaw (which had gotten stuck in a tree), and his biotic eye, which had fallen out somewhere on the battlefield.  Guess he needs to spend more time with the painboys and meks getting things attached better.  :D

Offline Granite Slam

• Fio'el Tautica - I See Stupid People...So Many Stupid People...
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Coolest. Dude. Ever.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:23:42 PM »
   Something themed around your own army is always better. The idea of wounded/dead could work out really nicely if you happened to play Deathskulls.... Da boss wants dem far-talkin-gubbins offa dat dead humie for da Mek. For example. If you're more into Evil Sunz then fuel barrels would work well - Gotta keep them wagons rolling.

Alternatively you could go with something more generic. I've got a set of 6 markers that are just the teleport homers with the light painted different colours to distinguish them. The Tau ones I've just started on will be the underside of a drone into which i can plug various different things. The hole is the same diameter as common or garden cocktail sticks which means I can even use them in non-tau games by creating two flags for each counter. If you control it then you can put your flag in, contested/unclaimed = no flag. Very DOW:DC
I reserve the right to end any discussion with a big stick.

Quote from: Rummy
Dark Eldar - better than everyone be-atch! The only reason the Dark Eldar haven't toppled the Imperium is that Terra doesn't have valet parking.