News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WIP Adeptus Custodes  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
WIP Adeptus Custodes
« on: November 21, 2016, 12:01:34 AM »
Started working on my Adeptus Custodes, and I have just three words to say:  so... much... gold!

I mean, I knew going into this that I would be doing them up with the traditional golden armour, but holy amphetamine parrot!  These guys stand taller than a Terminator, and just as broad!  Hit them with a was of Caliban Green (watered down), and that helped tone down the glare.

First, if you haven't seen this yet, a proper idea of the size comparison between the Custodes and the Astartes. 

And now, what my guys look like so far:

I am torn how I want to do the wings on the standard and the shields.  After finishing the wash on these guys, I like the look of the toned down gold that I would highlight back up.  On the other hand, I was thinking of doing what I usually do for my Ravenwing which is to paint the "feathers" white.  It would break up the monotony of the gold and give more colour to the model, but I wonder if it might be too much.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 12:03:40 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: WIP Adeptus Custodes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 07:10:57 AM »
Looking good GML! I would totally do those feathers white I think it'd look great. As I've expanded my Corsairs I started doing white gems, stripes, details etc on the gold and it looks really nice. It actually looks very subtle in my opinion, sort of draws the eye, rather than stand glaringly out.

Either way, great stuff. Wish I had some of these models myself!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 05:42:58 PM »
Spent two hours after I got home from school painting red.  Four different shades, but still just all red.

I am undecided on how I want to paint the weapons.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:44:22 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 05:46:38 PM »
I love the combination of red and gold.  They have that look of some kind of imperial order, but at the same time having a regal appearance.  Either way, I really like it.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
Looks super nice GML. I like the contrast with their bases too. Keep on rocking

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 11:42:08 PM »

The last image was taken to show the difference in the armour, now that I have re-highlighted after the green wash.  There is a marked change and the added shading now really makes the armour pop!
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 07:24:01 AM »
Looks epic GML! What kind of green wash did you use? It looks freaking brilliant. I typically use Reikland Fleshwash to give that Disney style gold treasure glow, but the green gives a totally ancient and mysterious vibe that really suits the Custodes. I love it man congrats on an excellent, unique paintjob on these guys :)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 07:48:20 AM »
Caliban green watered down.  I'm too cheap to actually buy washes.
I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 10:18:47 PM »
And I am calling them done.  Yeah, I could probably touch them up a little bit more, but a true artist must know when to step back and say they are finished with their masterpiece!

I found it funny that I enjoyed painting these models because the prime way of painting their armour was "Gold!  NEED MORE GOLD!!!"

Anyways... pics!

I knew I had fans!!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2016, 10:47:09 PM »
I love your colour choices. I was a little skeptical when you went down the gold armour path and I could only envision the cheesy Age of Sigmar paint jobs I've been seeing lately, but you knocked it out of the park on these. They have an ancient grittiness, while keeping a certain regal halo. It reminds me some long lost armour found in a dragon's treasure hoard. Well done sir!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 11:40:11 PM »
Thank you.  I think what nails it is that I do the green wash of the armour.  24k gold doesn't oxidize, but gold would be a terrible pure metal to use for the armour.  But gold with another metal that does oxidize...

At the very least it helps give depth to the armour.

And I agree with your assessment about the ancient grittiness.  I am playing these guys as Adeptus Custodes who are fighting in the 41st millenium.  Their armour is ancient because they are ancient.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #11 on: December 1, 2016, 06:28:18 AM »
I really like the way the gold has turned out.  They remind me a little of the first ever model I painted, which was predominantly gold and red, except that you have much better painting skills.  They look great and just right for the background concept behind the unit.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #12 on: December 1, 2016, 07:06:27 AM »
Wow that came out sick GML. Really rich, vibrant variety of colors. Love the halberd too... really strong dynamic between the metallics, the red of the robes and energy effects. Really, really think this came out excellent.

BTW what amazing models... LOVE all the details on their armor. They've got that 2nd ed Blister Pack style-vibe where every model felt really special.

Anyway fantastic stuff man. Really love it