News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: space wolf army, plz help!!  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Andrew "Ender" Wiggin

• The Former Deaths Face
space wolf army, plz help!!
« on: February 8, 2003, 12:50:45 AM »
hi!! as of rite now i have both a chaos and an eldar army, and im looking to start a space wolves army. since i dont have the codex yet id appreciate your help. im looking for an army thats approx 5000pts, i know its really expensive but hey. you dont have to give an entire 5000 point list but a decent army size say 2500 and ill just pretty much double it if it sounds good, keep in mind that i intend to get logan grimnar.i appreciate your time and help.
"Another taste of the Evil I breed will level you completely"
- Disturbed

Current Army:
Iron Warriors - 1000pts  W:2 L:1 D:1

Future Army Projects:
Imperial Guard - 1000pts

chaotica

Re: space wolf army, plz help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2003, 11:05:34 AM »
hey logan_grimnar you thought 500pts was pretty big whats your idea of huge and how big is your chaos i have  a 6000pts army for chaos and i have no idea about your army but just wondering why space wolfs?

• The Former Deaths Face
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2003, 02:27:37 PM »
well normally i try to keep my armys 2000pts or less but yeah my chaos is only about 600pts. i realised they were a bit too powerful so i switchd to eldar which in its own ways was weak so of course i decided to go back to space marines. originally i was going for sob but tehn changed to salamanders because i like there style of fighting, wait till they get close then purify thru flame!!!! but ive always admired space wolves for some reason. it could also b because i like logan grimnars model! but then again who doesnt? but yeha thats pretty much it,
- Disturbed

Current Army:

Future Army Projects:
Imperial Guard - 1000pts

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2003, 02:47:20 PM »
the army is so different from others because of the hq rule

basicly the army needs to be brought in 750pts or less groups to allow you to field a good/legal army the main thing is to encude at lease 1 pack(squad) of grey hunters in each of these groups to follow the fulf of the majority of chapter being made up of these squads

other wise inculde what you want

hope this gets you started

jim

ps buy the codex 1st before putting any models together

wellard
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline Shadow_Wraith

• The Swordwind is strong.
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2003, 03:38:50 PM »
blood claws out the yin-yang.  that and rinos. thats all i can say
I dont fail, I succeed at finding ways that dont work.

If everythings coming your way, your obviously in the wrong lane.

The Swordwind has fallen upon stronger races, dont piss us off...

Offline Necromortis

• Deprieved Sorceror
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2003, 03:43:14 PM »
Aren't you asking for help on how to actually BEAT Space Pups?  If you want Space Pups, take a dread, and a lot of Blood Claws.  And lots of rhinos for anything on foot.

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2003, 01:03:28 PM »
Here's what I field in a single force org chart to hit the 5000+ mark. (I don't like using multiple force orgs in the same battle, the balance can get wierd)  Also, my choices are dictated by the miniatures I have painted right now.  There are plenty of variations that can be made at this size of an army.  Also, I don't particularly like landspeeders for SW, or Long Fangs, even at this size.

HQ
Wolf Lord
Wolf Priest
Wolf Guard Battle Leader x 5
Venerable Dread

ELITE
Wolf Guard Leaders x8
(One WGL in each pack including scouts)

Wolf Guard Body Guard x7
(all WG together count as one Elite)

Scouts (anti-armor)
Scouts (assault)

FAST ATTACK
Attack Bike x3
Attack Bike x3
Attack Bike x3

TROOPS
Blood Claws x8
 - Rhino
Grey Hunters x8
 - Rhino
Grey Hunters x8
 - Rhino
Grey Hunters x8
 - Rhino
Grey Hunters x8
 - Rhino
Grey Hunters x8
 - Rhino

The BCs include the Priest and a WGL, each GH includes a WGBL and a WGL in the squad.

HEAVY
Land Raider Crusader
(transport for Lord and Body Guard, tooled up as assault terminators)

Leman Russ Exterminator
Predator Annihilator

• The Former Deaths Face
« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2003, 01:49:47 PM »
hey i like the attack bike idea!! i think i might ditch 1 squad for land speeders unless attack bikes can move 24".  whats the eterminator equiped with?? i knew SW could take IG tanks but im not sure which ones tho, can the tae just regular leman russ'?? i just pretty much like the battle cannon that they got. i always thought scouts were troop but its probly different wit SW ne how thanx again for the info!!!

ps devotee of chaos is rite i am asking how to defeat SW so i can work out the kinks in the army, mainly so i know what the weaknesses are, my frineda each have altaioc eldar, chaos(lots of bezerkers!! hes khorne), and my other friend has tau. yeha im pretty sure whatto do now tho!! CC wit tau and eldar, shooty wit the chaos  
- Disturbed

Current Army:

Future Army Projects:
Imperial Guard - 1000pts

Offline spacepiper

• Soul Rebel
  • One Love; Bob Marley
    • EldarOnline
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2003, 03:35:07 PM »
Space Wolvews can only take the Leman Russ Exterminator Variant, and just cause he was our Primarch. But we do get to pay way too much for it.
“The ends you serve that are selfish will take you no further than yourself: but the ends you serve that are for all, in common, will take you into eternity.” –Marcus Garvey

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
« Reply #9 on: February 9, 2003, 05:53:48 PM »
I like attack bikes because they have an excellent save and don't crash and burn as easy as land speeders.  Plus I really like my custom miniatures for attack bikes. They are equipped with a twin linked bolter and either a heavy bolter or multi-melta.  I usually set them up as either a tank hunter squad or anti-troop squad.  Although they can't move as far as a landspeeder, they can move 12" and still fire everything, on top of a 2+ save and assault capability if absolutely need.  Sort of like fast moving terminators.

I usually don't field an LR Exterminator as it is too expensive for its effectiveness, but I have the model and it can pack a really nasty anti-troop punch.

Our scouts are very different from normal SM scouts.  You'd have to read the codex to see all the differences, but the big one is the ability to enter from the enemy's side of the board.  It really wreaks havoc on those units hiding in the back.

The best way to defeat Wolves is to pop their transports as soon as possible, and force the troops to march across the board while being shot up.  Their power is primarily in hand to hand.

Offline newbozel

• like a moose!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2003, 12:44:39 AM »
OK, first off i think that the sw are a great pick for an army. i have around 7500 pts in sw and i love them. here is what i would suggest:

firstly the logan grimar model is incredible, i have one myself but the reality of the situation is that IMO no 1 character is worth 250 pts. that is a land raider right there. buy the mini and use him as a wolf lord in term armor. but for the love of god he is not worth 250 pts. especially in a sw army where you have to have 1 hq for every 750 pts.

the only sw special character that is worth the pts is ragnar blackmane because for the 175 pts you get +2 attacks on the charge for his bodyguard as well.

the sw tend to be very character heavy as it is so the best way to use them is to try to be ecconomical with your hq selections.

ok that being said here is what some of my force looks like:

wolf priest
ragnar (use as wolf lord or as wgbl)
logan (use same as ragnar)
rune priest ( not nearly as good as some of your other hq choices)
20 terminators
iron priest (these guys are highly underrated if you drop the servo arm and have them accompany a gh pack in a rhino)
5 10 man gh packs in rhinos (i have 3 packs w/ 2 plasma pistols and a plasma gun, 2 w/ flamers, 1 w/ meltagun), 3 6 man gh packs in razorbacks(1 w/ 3 plasma weapons and 1 with meltagun) always take 2 power weapons in each gh pack. i use pw with all squads except ones w/ meltaguns witch i use pf in.

2 10 man bc packs w/ 2 pw in rhinos
4 bc bikes w/ 2 pw (i need to get 4 more bikes for this pack to be of real use)
2 attack bikes w/ multimeltas (great option to a land speeder, you loose some mobility but you get a more durable model)
3 land speeders w/ multimelta
5 wolf scouts w/ 2 pw, 2 plasma pistols, meltagun and meltabombs
whirlwind
pred destructor
pred annihilator
leman russ ext
vindicator (this tank rocks and is great for taking out termies)
2 land raiders
1 land raider crusader (i load it w/ 7 termies w/ pw for a lethal assault squad)
long fang pack w/ 4 plasma cannons
long fang pack w/ 4 lascannons
long fang pack w/ 4 hvy bolters
dred w/ plasma cannon
dred w/ assault cannon and hvy flamer
dred w/ tl lascannon and miss lnchr

the key items with sw and especially with a force the size you are aiming for is to speciallize your units for specific roles and put everything in a transport unless you are using drop pods. sw are useless over 24" (and in reality they are useless under 12") get them in cc and tear into them with your pw. hope this helps.

like a moose,
newbozel
like a moose,
newbozel

• The Former Deaths Face
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2003, 12:02:57 PM »
c'mon guys i stil need info, i CRAVE info!!! even of its only fluff, i still havent got the codex yet so keep it commin!!! rite now heres what i got:

logan grimnar
maxd out wolf gaurd in termi armour
vulnerable dread

blood claws (2 maybe??) rhinos
grey hunters ( who knows how many)

3 attack bike squads

land raider promethius (gotta love the heavy bolters)
2-3 dreads
whirlwind
predator

i need more help!! especially on how to use these troops, like i said i still havent got the codex so will someone plz releive me of my impatiantness and give me info!!!!!! wulf out

logan grimnar
- Disturbed

Current Army:

Future Army Projects:
Imperial Guard - 1000pts

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2003, 12:28:07 PM »
You're really not going to be able to do squat without the codex.  The arming options, special rules, and army rules a quite different from the normal Space Marines.  You're also going to need more HQ choices due to the Space Wolf special force structure.  

Until then concentrate on filling out your basic troops, usually mounted in Rhinos.  They are the core of any SW army.  They flesh out with PW or PF, melta/plasma gun, plasma pistols, and either bolter/CCW or BP/CCW combinations. The army overall is very close combat oriented and are the strongest when assaulting quickly.  Short on heavy weapon choices, they are not good at setting up a shooty army, but it can be done at a high point cost.

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2003, 03:43:35 PM »
You're really not going to be able to do squat without the codex.  The arming options, special rules, and army rules a quite different from the normal Space Marines.  You're also going to need more HQ choices due to the Space Wolf special force structure.  

Until then concentrate on filling out your basic troops, usually mounted in Rhinos.  They are the core of any SW army.  They flesh out with PW or PF, melta/plasma gun, plasma pistols, and either bolter/CCW or BP/CCW combinations. The army overall is very close combat oriented and are the strongest when assaulting quickly.  Short on heavy weapon choices, they are not good at setting up a shooty army, but it can be done at a high point cost.

Sure you can, I've don this with my wolves for about a year now. Al you really need is Amy Builder and you can make any army you want.  I have the codex now, and I suggest getting it, because of fluff.  Anywho the reason I had to wait because I was low on money, so if the guy cant afford it right now it is totally understandable.
Anywho hope you have fun with Wolves, I kno I did for a long time now.

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline Wolf Raider

• Wolfraider's Den
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2003, 06:53:31 AM »
Not having ever used army builder I don't know what it shows.  Does it cover all the special rules?  i.e., special HQ requirements, special scout deployment rules, BC's extra charge bonus, and the Ven Dread's special abilities?

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2003, 03:38:57 PM »
It covers most rules, the most important ones.
But I did have to buy the codex eventually because of the other rules not mentiond, not a big problem really. Anywho I survived for a year on Army Builder without the codex, so its pretty good. Get the codex anyway though, it has lots of fluff and stuf you need, so get it.

• The Former Deaths Face
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2003, 04:04:15 PM »
hey thanx, i can finally get into GW next sunday!! its gunna be great, 1st priority, gt codex, nest, stomp evryone in the megabattle!!!! thanx guys i appreciate your advice, BTW where can i getthe army builder? wulf out

logan grimnar
- Disturbed

Current Army:

Future Army Projects:
Imperial Guard - 1000pts

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2003, 01:24:37 AM »
Search for it on the net or on download.com
You dont have to buy it, just use the demo or the trial version get the latest too. :)