News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Way of the Waaagh: The New Green Menace Mega Thread  (Read 176194 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: Way of the Waaagh: The New Green Menace Mega Thread
« Reply #880 on: March 11, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
I for one am also willing to push on with this current Boss Pole of Kommand. I am willing at any time to count teef, keep the books (as it were) and even run a contest or three as needed.

I feel we just got a little stomped there, so we needs to have another go. Orks don't lose, and we ain't givin up now.

We will replace those that we lost, since I will have to do the book keeping manually it will actually be easier to add/delete accounts. I am wondering how long should we wait to see if a member returns before deleting their bank account and add them to the rolls of spoor fodder?

We don't have a green tide of posters anymore, but we do have at least a BW crew, so we needs to sort out who gets to shoot which gun/rockit/kannon/etc. and what not, then get stuck back in.

My proposal is to leave the Green Menace Mega Thread going for now, and set a date for when members must return by, (say July 4th?) and create a new "rank" of the orky equivalent of all the way dead. (sorta like the infinity circuit the Eldar thread has) Then we will clean up the books and the roster and carry on.

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #881 on: March 16, 2015, 03:15:50 PM »
Skeet:  And that's why you're one of da bosses...I think that's an excellent idea!  Put the call out, July 4 or whatever, to reply and stay "alive" as it were...Like all the other Whos in Whoville, "I am Here!!!"

and now for something completely different....
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #882 on: March 19, 2015, 08:26:55 PM »
I am here as well thanks to a cryptic message from Skeetergod.   I am lighting my Orkanaut with not 1, not 2, not 3, but 10 LED's......     Muuuuahhahah.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #883 on: March 21, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »
Hi guys...  I'm glad to see some familiar names around here... Not been playing a lot of 40k, but starting to get the Ork itch again, and the only way to scratch it is with a Choppa! :)

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #884 on: March 22, 2015, 07:02:32 PM »
starting to get the Ork itch again, and the only way to scratch it is with a Choppa!

I'll go get the bacteen, Gork knows your gonna need it.

I'm really glad that we're getting some foottraffic, who knows it may be just like the moments before the vision comes and the Meks start building a Gargant creating the spontaneous flow leading up to a good and propa Waaaagh.

And I really wanna see that Naught!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #885 on: March 22, 2015, 08:36:04 PM »
I swear there is no patience....  Here is a work in progress...

The terror the walks in the night...

Not fully assembled or even remotely painted yet.   I did the lighting one of the LED's was messed up so I had to get a replacement and solder it in.  But on the plus side I got almost a week of the house to myself so I am planning on getting some paint on him.

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #886 on: March 22, 2015, 09:01:55 PM »
That might be the coolest thing I have seen in a long time... I can't wait to see it done...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #887 on: March 23, 2015, 04:33:24 AM »
I swear there is no patience

I know, I'm simply terrible.  But it's been a super long time since I've wanted to see something like this, so I'll return to my pledge to do my best to not pester. 

This is by far and away the best nought I have seen.  I particularly love the 3rd photo (the first of the night lit), the halo effect from the camera not only adds a coolness factor, not only shows what I've pictured in my mind for years as to what a KFF looks like, but it elevates it from a mere WiP photo to a true work of art in both the physical model but in the photography.

On a less aesthetic side, and on the technical side are you utilizing the interior doors as a hiding spot for the power source, and if not where?  I'm also always intrigued as to what type of battery people use when working with LEDs, and with the brightness factor either you got some amazingly luminicent bulbs or you have one heck of a power source for it.

Its not even done yet, but that's already a model to be super proud of AoD!

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
« Reply #888 on: March 23, 2015, 03:46:41 PM »
Coolest Naught Ever!...Now...I'll have to try my hand at LED (Curse you AOD...and all your minions...).  Maybe I should try something simple, like a red light on a trukk or something....
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #889 on: March 23, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
Yes there is one 9v battery stored in the doors which I left functional. There is no power switch so you just attach the battery.  A total of 10 prewired LED's in which I got to choose the colors.  1 White (spot light) 2 yellow (leg lights) 2 red (head and interior light) 5 green (two head bay, on top for kff, one in arm) all are 3mm LED's.  I did none of the wiring or the resistors they came prewired for a 9v set up.   I read a lot of stuff about LED's prior to doing this project and with resistors and doing math and all that I looked for a prewired kit.  Saw a few different ones, but the ones made for models only had a few smaller LEDs and were more expensive (still a better way to go then doing it all yourself)  Tracing wires was a pain and I had a lot of extra wire which is all kinda bunched up inside the model.   You really have to plan your wiring.  I built my model around the LEDs rather than building the model and adding LED's and put a lot of time into design.  I was going to document everything but with this site being down I just said screw it so there is no step by step. 

If you are going to do this I recommend a lot of PLANNING.   The orkanaut model is awesome for lighting as it has some premade perfect holes (behind head, head bay, ammo feed ports which are great.  Some need a little more work (legs had to trim away a little bit on the bottom during assembly and I did it very clean.  After doing this I would only ever do it again on a model with a lot of interior space.  (Land raiders, rhino, orkanaut, stompa, etc..).  The wiring takes up a lot more space then you realize unless you wanna trim it all down and spend forever trying to solder wire connections.  Also keep LED's away from rare earth magnets reguardless of what they say on the internet.  They are morons and they absolutely do create a magnetic field capable of frying an LED either that or I had a defective one but still. 

I honestly don't know if I would do it again, the Orkanaut model you don't have to worry too much about where wires go so it is a very forgiving model to work with, but not something that is totally forgiving.  The main reason why you need to assemble around LED's is because if they are prewired you need holes big enough for the led to fit thru.  It is far easier to modify joints around models then drilling big holes and having to fill them with something later.  Which if you don't plan you will have to do.  3 MM LED's are HUGE..  and honestly I would probably recommend going smaller if you can.  The bigger the LED the more planning is required.

I hope I semi inspired some but don't rush this project if you take it on.  There are many things to consider.  Study your build sheet for the model and think the whole time  wiring. 

I swear there is no patience

I know, I'm simply terrible.  But it's been a super long time since I've wanted to see something like this, so I'll return to my pledge to do my best to not pester. 

This is by far and away the best nought I have seen.  I particularly love the 3rd photo (the first of the night lit), the halo effect from the camera not only adds a coolness factor, not only shows what I've pictured in my mind for years as to what a KFF looks like, but it elevates it from a mere WiP photo to a true work of art in both the physical model but in the photography.

On a less aesthetic side, and on the technical side are you utilizing the interior doors as a hiding spot for the power source, and if not where?  I'm also always intrigued as to what type of battery people use when working with LEDs, and with the brightness factor either you got some amazingly luminicent bulbs or you have one heck of a power source for it.

Its not even done yet, but that's already a model to be super proud of AoD!

Peace
~OD

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #890 on: April 1, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
Well, I won't be able to match that one, a great LED kan. Makes my MP3 playing stompa look amateurish.

However, I did make my new war boss:

A simple head swap and a stolen axe from the wolf dread kit, and presto; ead whoppa carrying boss. Comes in cheap as he only has heavy armor, TL shoota, and ead whoppa. With a 1 in 6 chance to insta kill his opponent it is not as good as a klaw, but cheaper in points and allows him to swing at initiative.

Still painting the fine details, but the bulk painting is done. I add paint to him after every game, so only about once a week. We have been playing a lot of 500 point games at my local, as there are so many players that the size of the game has to be small so that the other players get a chance to use the tables for a game before the store closes. Everyone knows Saturday night was meant for fightin'.  ;D

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #891 on: July 15, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Alrighty then, at long last I have figured out how to manually update the bank account. You can see the latest and greatest at this link HERE

A new member "dog of war" who also has his first batrep up and has posted to the Faces of the Waagh page, a real up and coming member. Watch out if he starts carrying around a boss pole, he might be finkin of sometin. 

Hopefully AOD will be around soon to get you added to the rolls.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:49:15 AM by SKEETERGOD »

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #892 on: July 15, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »
Appreciate the warm welcome. Looking forward to contributing as much as I can and breathing some life back into these orks.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #893 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:54 PM »
Welcome dog_of_war.   Yes we could all use a little push so having fresh blood new members is always a good thing

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #894 on: July 22, 2015, 09:29:41 AM »
*****WARNING*********POST MASSACRE RECOVERY************

Well, someone has to be the hard case, so tag I am it.

This is a NOTICE, any ork member who has only ONE toof in the bank account, you are in danger of being deleted.  Please return to the forum and post that you want to remain an ork, and you will be safe from deletion.

IF, by August 15th of 2015 there are no replies, then anyone with only one toof, and no posts since the site meltdown, will be deleted from the bank account, and removed from the rolls.

Those members with two or more teef, your account will be deducted one toof a week. When you reach zero you will be deleted. Members with titles higher than boy will be added to the new list of "MIA" orks, title of said list to be determined, maybe spoor, squig fodder, or something similar.

Hopefully you all get this, as the auto poster reply notifier what not, will send an email to you so that you will see that the site is back up and running.

NOTICE SENT: now get off your duffs and get stuck back in.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #895 on: July 22, 2015, 09:46:46 PM »
I've taken off that pointy ear novelty hat and I'm here to stay.

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
« Reply #896 on: July 23, 2015, 04:08:08 PM »
Right Boss...getting duff back in gear...don't wanna loose me teef...

Offline The Nightwalker

• Ork Boy
  • Just Passing Through
  • Armies: Deffskullz
« Reply #897 on: July 23, 2015, 11:28:55 PM »
This boy is still here despite my inactivity, just got all my boyz together so I can take them on my move with me. Hopefully I can get back into the hobby when I get there (it is my plan anyways).

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #898 on: July 29, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
Alllllrightythen... . The Bank Account has been updated. HERE

For those of you who have replied to stay stuck in you will see a "copyright" symbol next to your title. At first it was just going to be a "c" in parentheses but my Excel program made them into the copyright symbol so I just left it. Either way it means you are confirmed and your teef are safe.

Although, I did kinda forget to give myself a copyright symbol, oh well, next week.

Now then, if you know of any other orks that need a pants kicking, go and do it and get them to return to the mob.

Good stuff, now lets see some more good stuff.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #899 on: July 29, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »
Another batrep up for you last week Skeeter!