News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)  (Read 57453 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dog of War's Multiple Army Project (Ork, Nurgle, Eldar, Dark Eldar)
« Reply #320 on: April 10, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
Hey DoW, I think you'd actually get a lot more out of the Black Heart Kabal in the early goings. With the small number of transports, the Innured to Suffering bonus from Black Heart that gets conferred on to vehicles would do a lot to protect them after Invuln. saves.

Plus you'd have plenty of CP's to play Agents of Vect and a good deal more afterwards. Agents of Vect is probably the most powerful stratagem in the game.

Personally I think to get real return on Obsidian Rose when you run 5-6 Dissie Ravagers, and lots and lots Blasters in Venoms (getting more range on the Venoms is big).

Thats just me though. If you have a plan and a playstyle that you think is working for you, I wouldn't listen to too much outside advice. Its usually best to just keeping riding out your theories. Anyway good luck bud let us know how you do in games!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #321 on: April 11, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »
I see where you're coming from with the Black Heart kabal now. I didn't notice the FNP buff for transports before. While not groundbreaking, it is in no way insignificant.

So I'll see the power from pain increase for my warriors and archons and my transports will gain FNP.

Who would you take as warlord in this list? My thoughts would be Drazhar, which would gain him some much needed rerolls.

I could also tweak the list and where the hqs are situated moving Drazhar to the outrider detachment and give the succubus a patrol changing warriors for wyches.
That will give two archon and warrior patrols and one succubus and wych patrol.

I don't have the wyches right now, but that new start collecting box seems to be calling to me.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #322 on: April 11, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »
I'd probably steer clear of giving Drahzar warlord as Incubi are always big time targets. I think the Succubus with a the Red Grief Warlord trait to buff her Invuln would be a good call. But thats just me... either way let me know how you do in games I'm fascinated to see how everybody is doing!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #323 on: April 12, 2018, 01:15:41 AM »
Cool. Thanks for the heads up. Just got the book last night, haven't got to go through it much yet, but oh boy!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #324 on: April 15, 2018, 10:22:05 PM »
Well I was supposed to get another game in on Saturday, but Mother Nature had other plans, as we get slammed with a pretty major ice storm. Oh well, gave me time to work on the hobby side of things.

Built another blaster warrior and four new sybarites. Since I'm going to try running multiple 5 man units and I wanted to keep the costs down, I needed some new models that had the bare kit, but I needed them distinctive enough from the regular warriors.

I also went on a little spending spree and got myself some new hqs.

Hoping to take the haemoculus in a spearhead detachment with three talos. Thought I'd give him the hex rifle to keep him in the same range as the taloi splinter cannons. It seemed the only logical option as everything else didn't have the threat range and I liked the idea of putting pressure on an opponents characters, even if it is very minor, I think the psychological effect is worth the few points it costs.

*edit fixed image links
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 03:00:06 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #325 on: April 16, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »

Hoping to take the haemoculus in a spearhead detachment with three talos. Thought I'd give him the hex rifle to keep him in the same range as the taloi splinter cannons. It seemed the only logical option as everything else didn't have the threat range and I liked the idea of putting pressure on an opponents characters, even if it is very minor, I think the psychological effect is worth the few points it costs.

I think even the sight of 3 Talos rumbling towards my battle lines would freak out a lot of players, especially given how much cheaper they are with the Codex. Could work out to be a very cool little detachment!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #326 on: April 16, 2018, 01:25:44 PM »
Sweet! Looking forward to more games dude, and yeah the Incubi are looking great, failcast or not ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #327 on: April 17, 2018, 06:18:15 AM »
Nice! Great modeling on all those units DoW. The Archon in particular looks awesome! I thought I'd seen every conversion possible of that dude, but this one is by far one of my faves. I love how he's looking into the wind... and the sword arm looks great too. Great job.

Sorry about your game falling through because of ice. I'm on the east coast too so I know its been rough weather for sure.

Anyway great stuff DoW keep it up you are on a roll!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #328 on: April 17, 2018, 10:37:41 PM »
Isn't kit bashing so much fun?! It's so great now that GW gives us so many extras so we can put personality into so much now and you have done just that. 2 thumbs up, now get them painted ;).
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #329 on: May 6, 2018, 11:36:58 PM »
@Looshkin they are certainly going to be scary especially since I just ordered 3 sets of haywire blasters that I'm going to get them magnetized with. Look out vehicles, here I come.

@Ynneadwraith thanks on the compliments on the incubi. The paint jobs are certainly growing on me. Maybe I'll just have to get some blood splatter on those klaives to hide some of the poor casting :)

@Cavalier Thanks for the kind words on the archon. I really love those domed reaver heads.

@Dread Kit bashing dark eldar is so much fun. Especially with all the extra bits they come with now.

So I've been busy painting up my scourges, as I wanted to get those done before I started on my characters. Blaster scourges are up first. Pretty much have all the armour done and highlighted and everything else basecoated and ready to wash and highlight. The wing patterns that I'm going to paint I'll leave as a surprise for my next post. After these guys, I was planning on tackling my shredder scourges, but that archon is really begging for some paint.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #330 on: May 7, 2018, 06:53:23 AM »
Always love to see Scourges :) drop-dead gorgeous models. Watching the wing patterns with interest ;)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #331 on: May 7, 2018, 01:47:42 PM »
Scourges are easily some of my favourite models (Swooping Hawks are, of course also in the list!!), so I'm excited to see what you do with these guys. You're off to a great start!
« Last Edit: May 7, 2018, 01:48:55 PM by Looshkin »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #332 on: May 7, 2018, 08:32:50 PM »
Oh! *claps hands* ready now go. Off to a good start for sure. What's gonna be the wings base colors?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #333 on: May 9, 2018, 08:23:53 PM »
Absolutley rocking DoW! Love the color you chose for the wings, truly eye catching! Good call on the Blasters, but super stoked to hear you are gonna rock shredders! Get ready to surprise some people man, because I've heard they are nasty. Make sure you keep us posted on games man I'm super stoked to hear about how you get on with the new dex.

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #334 on: May 17, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
@Cav thanks buddy. I was super excited about the shredders too, as I've always viewed them as then red headed step child of the dark eldar armaments and I've always wanted them to work. I've also caved and bought enough haywire blasters from a bits site to make a third unit.

@Dread the base colour is a warm white which you can see in the picture, but with my terrible photography skills it just looks like primer for now.

@Loosh these guys have always been my favourite models too, well before I even thought about playing Sark eldar. I love their dynamic poses and giant wings. They are just terrible to play with on the tabletop because of that though. I guess the most beautiful models are almost always the ones that never stand up right or have little fiddly bits that break off all the time. 40k never really pairs form and function very well I guess.

@Ynneadwraith ask a ye shall receive. They only really took me a day and a half, but I figured if I waited to post you'd think I put so much more work into them  ;)

Not an original idea, as I've mimicked something I saw online, but when is anything original anymore. Hope you like them. There's still a little cleanup to do. I was thinking of washing the wings to bring out the lines in the feathers more, but I was worried it would make them too dark. I may experiment if I'm feeling risky or more likely next time I'm a little tipsy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:55:13 PM by dog_of_war »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #335 on: May 18, 2018, 03:55:38 AM »
Nice DoW. I think the colors work really nicely. I’d probably hit the wings with a Seraphim Sepia shade to get the depths and texture and then follow up with a dry brush of the original colors to ensure you get that initial pop back again.

Looking terrific though mate, keep it up!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #336 on: May 18, 2018, 07:09:30 AM »
Hey DoW. They look great man. Really dig the natural colors on the wings. They look freaking great. But yeah I agree with Loosh 100% hit those bad boys with a little Seraphim Sepia. Its a nice light wash but it'll give great definition and shading, really taking them to the next level.

I love how you are gonna be rocking so many Scourge, thats really cool. Could be some cool backstory there. Anyway great stuff man love it!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #337 on: May 18, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »
I'm loving it, but really these wings could use a nice wash :) don't fear the wash, embrace it :P

Really nice collor balance for the purple to the white ish gold wing it's really nice. Keep it up ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #338 on: May 22, 2018, 06:46:43 PM »
Looking great dude :) I'd definitely give a wash a try. It's actually pretty tricky to go too thick with them I've found, especially a lighter one like Seraphim Sepia. And besides, I haven't seen a bit that takes washes better than feathered Scourge wings ;)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #339 on: May 26, 2018, 11:02:01 PM »
I'm a fan of the eagle wings on the Scourges, but I do agree a nice wash could elevate these dudes to another level. Favorite models I've seen yet are the Incubi and their commander, even with Drazar's model age, he still looks good the way you painted him! He still looks like he belongs with those shiny new Incubi (well, I guess that are not really shiny-new anymore, but you know what I mean ;D).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!