News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: More Mechanicus!  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
More Mechanicus!
« on: May 31, 2015, 10:29:49 PM »
Now that the second Mechanicus book is out, what do you all think?

I've had a look through the rules and units and they look pretty tasty/nasty depending on what side you're on.  ;)  Plus, we finally have proper robots in 40k, with the new Kastelans!

I think the models are absolutely sweet.  I do plan to have an army of these and Skitarii in the near future.  It's about time I tried something else besides IG but until now nothing else has grabbed my attention quite like these.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
Re: More Mechanicus!
« Reply #1 on: June 2, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
Plus, we finally have proper robots in 40k, with the new Kastelans!

We finally have proper robots back in 40k.  ;)

The Castellan (See what they did there?) was one of the original 5-C (Castellan, Conqueror, Cataphract, Colossus and Crusader) robots from the RT days. Despite the big change to it's name the design of the new Robot is still a lot like the original.

But to the original question: I've not had a proper look at the Codex yet but I'm liking what I've seen so far, I built a proxy Mechanicus army about 5 years ago and have always loved their background so it's nice to finaly see one of the major background Imperial forces finaly make it onto the table top and in a way that's not just IG with metal bits.  :)

Fingers crossed we see some more releases for the AM over the next year or so.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: June 2, 2015, 06:31:41 PM »
We finally have proper robots back in 40k.  ;)

The Castellan (See what they did there?) was one of the original 5-C (Castellan, Conqueror, Cataphract, Colossus and Crusader) robots from the RT days. Despite the big change to it's name the design of the new Robot is still a lot like the original.

I did not know that!  That's great though, because the return of more golden age goodies is always welcome in my books.  And maybe the other variants will make an appearance in future.  I certainly hope so!

But to the original question: I've not had a proper look at the Codex yet but I'm liking what I've seen so far, I built a proxy Mechanicus army about 5 years ago and have always loved their background so it's nice to finaly see one of the major background Imperial forces finaly make it onto the table top and in a way that's not just IG with metal bits.  :)

Fingers crossed we see some more releases for the AM over the next year or so.

I completely agree.  I'm surprised it's taken them this long to put the Mechanicus on the table but I'm so happy that they have.  The Skitarii and now these units are really cool and I can't wait to get some.

As for their rules, it's similar to the Skitarii; terrifyingly scary shooting and some decent cc abilities mixed in with slow moving but very durable units. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: June 2, 2015, 08:23:35 PM »
Big fan of the robots and their return. No where near as random as the old version (shame really) but they look great and have decent rules. Really don't like the Electropriests. Silly looking and just don't fit my vision of the Mechanicus.

As a mod note: We're renaming the Imperial Guard board to something more like Imperial Forces. So Guard, Knights, and Mechanicus armies will be going in there.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 2, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
A post from Skitarii Tangi was deleted due to a don't know what the hell I did editing error. He asked about SoB and Inquisitors also being included in the new Imperial Armies board.

Possibly the SoB. But not the Inquisitors/Grey Knights etc. Think of the boards as mimicking the Imperium chain of command, Inquisitors are off on their own.

Ever played RoboRally? The Robots used to work like that. You'd build up a program based on yes/no situational counters and the robots would be forced to follow it after the game starts. So, sort of like:
Target in range? If yes goto A, if no, goto B.
A - Fire at target.
B - In charge range? If yes goto C, if no goto D.
C - Charge at enemy.
D - Move towards closest objective/enemy.

It was also during the days where you built a unit. So, if you paid the points, you could have robots with BS 10 running around the place. Robots also came in Imperial/Ork/Eldar styles.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: June 3, 2015, 12:18:57 PM »
Don't worry about that missing post.  It wasn't too important.  :)

@ GS

Those control rules actually don't seem too bad.  And Ork robots were known as Tinboyz weren't they?  I'd love to see those make a return. 

About the Mechanicus:

What do you think the chances are that all the different factions will be merged into one codex in future?  It seems unlikely, as three books make more money than one.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 3, 2015, 12:25:31 PM by Skitarii Tangi »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 3, 2015, 12:41:09 PM »
The control rules were fun and purpose built for having your opponent either find a loop hole or just abuse the closest target designation. Yet that was back in the day where over complication was standard if not required for any situation. Such as vehicles turning or that god emperor awful vehicle targeting system. "oh good, I shot their search light. That's learned them!"

The new robot rules allow limited customisation but that's forgiven considering how great they look.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2015, 12:49:13 PM »
That they are.  They're kinda creepy looking, which is awesome.

What was the back story with Tinboyz?  Surely Warbosses would prefer real Orks, and Meks can just stick real Orks into Dreads?

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #8 on: June 3, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »
I like what I've heard of the rules, but I just can't see myself ever picking up these particular models.  The Skitarii line looked great!  All spindly, vaguely insectoid, and just alien enough.  The cult mechanicus stuff just isn't quite there for me personally.

Electro Priests:  I remember seeing one or two of these guys in short stories, and they were awesome!  The models are just... constipated-looking blind shirtless guys with sticks that look awkward to swing.  I think a different weapon (maybe a spear/glaive?)  would have helped these guys out a lot.  They're also yet another set of imperial heads that are just sort of... lumpy.

The kastelans are actually pretty cool from the rear and in profile, but the front is just sort of goofy. It makes me think of Buzz Lightyear or a diving suit or a certain animated robot in red armor. 

The kataphron have lots of cool details to them, but I dislike their overall appearance for the same reason I disliked the Lord of Skulls.  Tankotaurs are just goofy.   Any given piece of them works seperately, but together, I just go :\  Maybe if they'd just done a miniature tank with an armored servo skull instead of the goofy torso-having servitor?  WHy do you need your tank to have a vulnerable torso and spinal column exactly?

I like the data smith though. He's cool.

Not to rag on anyone else's enjoyment of the models mind you.  I know plenty of people don't like my pointy-headed eldar much.  :)