News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 9/11 Pentagon planecrash  (Read 11748 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
Re: 9/11 Pentagon planecrash
« Reply #140 on: June 2, 2006, 03:43:11 PM »
Barrel: You are the Demo group. Yet you don't answer it, funny...

Hao, quit the condescending attitude, I have seen you use it elsewhere in this Board and it is not welcome. You want to debate something? Fine, but be polite about it and don't act as if you are God's gift either.

And that goes for everyone in this Thread and Board, I have been seeing increasing attitude here in general, and it's turning away even more people from here.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: June 2, 2006, 03:51:52 PM by - Iain - Your New Evil Dictator »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline danscan

• I have no personal text.
    • Warlord Titan Pics
« Reply #141 on: June 2, 2006, 04:03:51 PM »
I am not sure if faithless was being sarcastic, but anyway.  You don't need to melt steel for the buildings to fall.  Its like a broken record but all you need to do is weaken them.  And I would not doubt that many of them were broken or damaged in the impact.  Once you bring down one part of the structure it causes another piece to encounter more stress then designed which inturn breaks and on to the next piece till complete failure.  These building were built using engineering tricks that enabled them to be lighter and allow for more office space per floor then similiar sized building of their day.  Provided all things work together they are fine.  But once one peice of the puzzle fails like one floor being hit with an airplane. The other parts receive more stress then designed.  The only surprise is how long they stood up. 

The steal beams and remember these are not I-beams but lighter steal beams (Think two horizontal peices with a "W" shaped peice of steel in the middle connecting the two) and then did not melt!  But to break a peice of metal you do not need melt it.  But as the heat increases it loses its structral regidity.

Offline Kritik

• Banned troll: My arrogance couldn't be matched!
« Reply #142 on: June 2, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
Never do you see (well, almost never) steel melt as that requires 2200F, but at 1800 F, the steal looses 90% of its strength.
I used to think that I knew everything,
but now I'm just banned.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #143 on: June 2, 2006, 06:33:02 PM »
Never do you see (well, almost never) steel melt as that requires 2200F, but at 1800 F, the steal looses 90% of its strength.

It's possible to see steel melt quite often actually, common practice in industry. We're not talking Adamantium here.  :)  Still, a good dose of thermite helps melt steel good and proper.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2006, 06:34:30 PM by Barr'El O'Rum »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Kritik

• Banned troll: My arrogance couldn't be matched!
« Reply #144 on: June 2, 2006, 06:34:32 PM »

It's possible to see steel melt quite often actually, common practice in industry. We're not taliking Adamantium here.  :)  Still, a good dose of thermite helps melt steel good and proper.

I meant in burning buildings.
I used to think that I knew everything,
but now I'm just banned.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #145 on: June 2, 2006, 06:36:14 PM »
I meant in burning buildings.

It's also not common, in burning buildings, for steel to loose so much of its strength that it gives way and collapses. Such as in the Empire State Building and Madrid fires.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.